The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Allardyce Sacked As England Manager – Southgate Takes Over

10:03 pm, Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 83 Comments

Former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce was today sacked as the England manager after only 67 days in the job and this all came up suddenly last night when the Telegraph released their revelations after they had set themselves up as fake business men to get the England manager to negotiate a £400K deal.

The deal was for Sam to offer advice to the fake businessmen on how to get around the FA rules on player transfers.

The FA were his employer at the time.

Sam Allardyce – former England manager

The FA have acted as expected tonight and fired Sam Allardyce and put Gareth Southgate to take over for next four games as interim manager of England.

How that could affect our World Cup qualifying we don’t know.

This has all happened within the space of 24 hours.

This is the statement and of course it’s supposed to be by mutual consent – but that’s the FA making it a little easier on Allardyce – he was fired.

Here ‘s the official FA statement:

FA statement: Sam Allardyce

The FA can confirm that Sam Allardyce has left his position as England manager.

Allardyce’s conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologized.

However, due to the serious nature of his actions, The FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

This is not a decision that was taken lightly but The FA’s priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football.

The manager of the England men’s senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times.

Gareth Southgate will take charge of the men’s senior team for the next four matches against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland and Spain whilst The FA begins its search for the new England manager.

The FA wishes Sam well in the future.

It’s not something you want in your career that your ethics have been brought into question, but big Sam should have known better.

The England manager job was supposed to be the zenith of his football management career – by his own words.

Another former Newcastle manager – Alan Pardew – has been installed as the early favorite to replace Allardyce long term.

Allardyce was manager for only one game which he won against Slovakia with a late goal after 95 minutes from Adam Lallana.

Tags: England News · International News · Newcastle News · World Cup 2018

83 responses so far ↓

• 1 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:06 PM

if they want to protect the game how about getting rid of agents that have no interest in the game whatsoever!

• 2 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Right Ed, now I know it’s personal! Go and watch the match on tv, catch up on tables, come back to post and miss the bloody bus again. 🙂 Can’t ge bothered to do it again and even if I do, Ed’ll only press the button again.

• 3 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM

they’ll appoint redknapp now!

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Manx, agents have a great interest in the game. It’s called leeching money off other peoples talent. Money for old rope unfortunately.

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:11 PM

I will only gloat if we confirm it in March haha anything else and I shall offer my resignation from the blog seems fair I reckon haha

• 6 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:14 PM

ww have you ever jinxed anything if so i’m seriously worried now!

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Done. Hopefully you will be around for a long time to come!

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:16 PM

8 pl managers received bungs last year is the next telegraph exclusive tomorrow apparently

• 9 Belfast // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Carver for England!

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:17 PM

The only thing that surprises me there is that it was just 8……

• 11 Belfast // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Aye apparently it’s going to be a weeks worth of revelations. Fat Sam probably won’t be the only one to fall on his sword.

• 12 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:19 PM

exactly bobby how it has been allowed to get to the level its got to is unbelievable!
    i said quite a while ago that the FA should employ them and have a code of conduct and only give advice to players and sort contracts

• 13 Lindisfarne // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:19 PM

• 14 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Jesus I hope Newcastle isnt involved in this football shame for once

• 15 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Couple in the Championship too mate….

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Aye apparently they have a top assistant manager bang to rights taking a bung as well

Interesting that the led with Sam, England still means something it seems

• 17 lesh // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Must say, I’m astonished that Allardyce’s been sacked so quickly.

I’d fully expected a whitewash over the whole thing but, there you go.

The merry-go-round starts and the dream team of McClaren and Carver should do the trick.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Interesting. Wonder if that has any link to Pearson’s sudden suspension.

I read earlier that just last Friday the chairman was still telling the local BBC reporter that Pearson was his man and that he would be given plenty of time to turn things around. The reporter seemed genuinely shocked and said something big must have happened for the situation to swing so quickly.

• 19 lesh // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM

• 20 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM

pardews bum will be going like a rabbits nose then!

the rest won’t be on camera or such concrete evidence i’m guessing but should be interesting

• 21 Rotonda heights // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Karma is a wonderful thing and the FA finally developed a spine. the arrogant, self deluded, egocentric oaf finally gets his come-uppance.

Won nowt, dark age, negative, hoofball gets the bullet. Oh wait… pardew’s probably next. The FA really do search out the creme de la creme.

• 22 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM

lilo it is pearson tho so tbf anything could have happened in a short space of time i don’t know, maybe he tried to strangle him

• 23 Belfast // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:50 PM

I really hope they name them all haha

This might give the fa the kick up the arse it needs. The money floating around now is beyond ridiculous.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Fair enough, the man is a bit of a loose cannon.

One is a wheeler dealer who gambles £20grand a day. Wouldn’t want to name names, but that sounds like a fair description of someone who allegedly had a few gambling debts to pay off not so long ago….

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Pearson’s always been a prick. Likes to create an image that he’s some sort of hardcase. Suspended again. What a surprise. Almost as big a surprise that people take bungs on transfers. Shock horror.

• 26 Toonacious T // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Does anyone know if I can access tomorrow night’s match commentary on BBC Radio Newcastle over the internet if I’m living outside England? Do they block it?

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:58 PM

I hope they do, but given the way Redknapp managed to get away with it, it will be difficult to actually get any of it to stick. Still should give the FA a wake up call mind, but then I can’t imagine that there are no skeletons hidden away at Wembley.

• 28 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 10:59 PM

yeah i think he could cause an argument in a mirror tbh!

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:00 PM

I generally can’t access it through the BBC site, but there is a site that people generally post a link to on here near kick off that allows you to listen abroad.

Stupidly, I didn’t save the link, although I thought I had!

• 30 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:02 PM

this is the best one tho i think he is fantasising of how to kill the reporter near the end

• 31 Munster Mag // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM

I still remember Sam’s first game for us against villa at St James I think? From kick off Our dodgy aged Nigerian hared for the far corner and our midfielder banged it long. And fat Sam told us he doesn’t play long ball? Tool.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM

It’s weird how Pearson comes across in the last few years. When he was at Newcastle, and on the few times I spoke with him, he was without question the dullest, most monotone person that I’ve ever had to interact with. He could have bored drying paint.

Now, he seems like he is never more than 5 minutes from exploding.

• 33 Toonacious T // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Thanks for the reply amigo. Much appreciated.

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Nice link lesh, well worth reading.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:11 PM

No worries. I’m hoping someone reposts it tomorrow! I’ll have to remember to save it this time.

It gives you the BBC Newcastle commentary, but not the half time chit chat.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Apparently the last time Villa won away from home was before Allardyce was appointed Sunderland manager….. That is some run!

• 37 Toonacious T // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Cheers bud.
    I’ll keep an eye on here around kick off. I can’t believe no TV channels picked it up. Should be a good game. Hopefully, there will be highlights available after the game and the result will mean we can look forward to watching them. HWTL.

• 38 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM

Toonacious, ssn will show the goals as and when they go in, if that helps any. Watched every goal myself tonight.

• 39 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Lil, long may it continue as well. 🙂

• 40 manxpie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:20 PM

true geordie take on the fat sam sacking

he’s gone a bit american unfortunately quite ironic too

• 41 Toonacious T // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:21 PM

I didn’t realise they did that. I realise their main concern will inevitably be on the Champions League tomorrow night but live updates of (hopefully) our goals would be great. Cheers for the info man.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, I guess everyone wants to watch the Champions League though…. I’m sure there will be some sort of highlights – does the Beeb still have the Football League highlights show after MOTD?

I’m hoping that we either drop/rotate Gayle altogether, or move him into the three slightly deeper with either Mitro or Murphy starting as a focal point.

Ritchie has to play right for me, as we will have to deal with Brady down that flank – that should be a good battle between them and Ritchie’s energy and work rate will be required. Then it is 2 of Gayle, Diame, Atsu and Gouffran for me – unless there are any injuries I haven’t heard about. Quite possibly Diame and Goofy with Gayle and Atsu to offer us options off the bench.

• 43 Toonacious T // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I was impressed by Gayle’s workrate against Villa but he did look a bit isolated.

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I don’t know, if they can drop a few more points and we go on a nice run of wins, then I wouldn’t begrudge them starting to hit gear and taking points off the likes of Huddersfield, Norwich, Brighton etc.

I think that the play offs is now there target after the start they’ve had. £51million spent as well for them. Must be getting close to squeaky bum time for Di Matteo.

• 45 Munster Mag // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Bingo… Sels yedlin mbemba lascelles dummett shelvey, Hayden, Ritchie, Perez, gayle, murphy

• 46 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Lilo, I can’t see Huddersfield maintaining this run myself. You often get a club that shoots off at a decent speed, then slowly drop back and finish mid table. Norwich, Brighton yes, even villa are capable of coming back. They’d be right up there is games only lasted 88 minutes. 🙂 I’m still convinced we’ll win the league because as we’ve already seen, teams of a likeness take points off each other. Our strength in depth will be a major factor imo. We’ve literally got two teams there, both capable of winning promotion and all easily slot together whenever required. Clever stuff from Rafa, who hasn’t piled the money into making just one stronger side, but spread it out wisely. We’ll really come to the fore midwinter when clubs are suffering and we’re still canny fit. No doubt we’ll strengthen again in January as well. A win tomorrow puts us within three points of the top. Only a matter of time imo… biased as I am! 🙂

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Aye aye munster, how ya keeping marra? I think jail wants to wait for Ed to post his team before entering the bingo mate. Makes it easier to check then.

• 48 toonking // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Forget England’s on the field display, right now the serious issue is the amount of money and greed in football. I’ve almost had it with football, first up it was FIFA and the world cup hosts, thencame all the arrests followed by blatter and platini being caught out over bribery and now the decision to stop kick it out discriminations.

If international chaos wasn’t bad enough you’ve got the super rich leagues and teams threatening ufea into making champions league ajustments, the mega teams also working with on another in attempt to form a super league, football agents are becoming a more and more important factor in players transfers, domestic cups being demoted whilst teams fight it out forthe big cash prized CL entry and now the FA have became a national FIFA.

• 49 toonking // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM

If it wasn’t for the fact I’m still a young adult I would have called an end to my football sport

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:20 AM

I agree, our squad is the strongest, and we have the most astute and tactically aware manager in the league. Absolutely no doubt that we should, on pear, win the league – and probably quite comfortably.

For obvious reasons, I can’t watch all the games, I think I’ve watched 4 so far, listened to another 2 or 3 on radio (including Cups). It is far from ideal for giving a good analysis or fair judgement on a game by game basis. I read what matchers on here say, check various analysis sites, and read reports, but it still is nowhere near as helpful as watching the full match.

When a combination of players works, they should be given another chance. Perez and Mitro were both meant to be very good against QPR, in what was probably our best performance. Why not give them another chance together? By changing it for Wolves, it doesn’t breed competition, it tells a player that regardless of how well you play, you could still be out next match.

I do think that Rafa is either overthinking some of it, or is playing up to the idea of him being a rotation specialist. I doubt he is happy with how we have started, and I think he said as much in his presser earlier. I’d imagine he has probably questioned some of his own decisions so far.

That is the saving grace of having someone like Rafa, he is very analytical, and I’m sure he analyses his own decisions and tries to work out where he got it wrong at times – as well as the players.

I’m sure he will come good, and I’m still confident on automatic promotion. Hopefully starting with Norwich.

• 51 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:22 AM

Took king, a wise head on young shoulders my friend. Well said. Don’t let them drive you away though, rise above it and enjoy the beautiful game that it is. This is why I’ve never let Ashley get under my skin and simply go to games to support the team on the pitch. What happens off it doesn’t bother me. Money breeds corruption and always will sadly. It’s ruined the game in a way, but also boosted it in another. Keep the politics for me, it’s those black n white shirts that keep my going. As they would regardless of what league we’re in. Don’t give up mate, it’s worth it in the long run. 🙂

• 52 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:24 AM

I agree with a lot of that. The money in football has become obscene, and with that comes all sorts of corrupt, immoral, unethical people that want a slice of the action, one way or another. No different really from any big industry.

I haven’t given up on football, but I dedicate a lot more of my time to youth and grassroots. I used to watch 8-10 games a weekend in the top leagues. This season, I’m probably not even watching 1 a week. I’d recommend getting involved with coaching or helping out at a youth team, or following/joining a local non league side. It might restore some of your faith and enjoyment in the game.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:26 AM

I don’t class the Championship as a top league btw. Otherwise I probably am watching just over 1 a week on average….

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:27 AM

On pear?? On paper.

• 55 Munster Mag // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:30 AM

Lil, completely agree. Rafa will rotate irrespective of success per game. This is ludicrous and will surely irritate the players. We should have buried villa and cud beat any team in this league, home or away, if we attack them.

• 56 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:31 AM

Lilo, to be fair about Perez, the QPR match was the only game he’s looked like a player in. That said, they were shocking and made us look far better than we are. I liked what I saw of Murphy in the cup game and would like to see him given more chances. I understand the frustration of some fans re rotation, but our hot and cold start has probably left Rafa still unsure of his best eleven anyway. Sadly we don’t have a truly natural goalscorer and that worried me from the start. Neither Gayle, Mitro nor Perez are what I call prolific and Rafa probably knows that. That might explain the constant rotation up front. Instead of a 30 goal striker, he’s probably hoping to get 15 out of all of them. Liking the partnership of Ritchie and Yedders already. Scary for defenders. 🙂

• 57 Munster Mag // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Lil, I train an under 7 team. Where wud be a good resource for me as a new trainer to learn to improve the kids

• 58 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:39 AM

Munster, to be fair, the players have all bought into the rotation system. Do you not think that if we had a really prolific striker, it would make all out attack a better option? As I just posted, none of ours are likely to get 30+ goals a season, so by rotation he’s hoping for them all to get their fair share. I’m sure if somebody started taking their chances, he’d stick with them wherever possible, but they all seem capable of wasting more than they score.

• 59 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Lilo, on pear? On paper. When you need a p, you just need a p!! 🙂

• 60 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:43 AM

But he picked Perez for Wolves, just shifted him to the left wing as far as I can recall. A role that he has never really excelled in. Mitro gets a goal and assist in his first (and only) league start so far, but is left out for Gayle who had a good spell, but hasn’t really done much since Bristol City.

Murphy hasn’t had a look in yet. I’m not sure what the point of playing Murphy in the full 90 of the cup game was, if he wasn’t going to use him at Villa. Mitro needs minutes to get up to speed, so if Mitro was the person he had earmarked for a role on the bench, surely some sort of run out would have been good for him there?

I like Ritchie, I said at the time we had got the better deal with him arriving and Townsend leaving. Yedlin has also done well so far. Diame has been hit and miss so far, and Lazaar, Atsu and Gamez haven’t been given a decent chance yet. I think that is a bit concerning for Gamez and Atsu, but fair enough with Lazaar.

• 61 Munster Mag // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Bobby with the right approach as a team, ie more aggressive attacking, with a bit more consistent selection, I think gayle cud get 20 and Murphy say 12. Rafa rotates because he fears tiredness and this was his reasoning at Liverpool too. I hope he develops pairings soon and sticks to them a lot. Eg yedlin/Ritchie and lascelles/Clarke etc. I criticised him and chumley for not finding a powerful runner up front earlier in the summer and this is causing us issues because he doesn’t have a 1 for the 4231 as I said at the time. I still think we will win this league but our current position is no great shakes, given the players we have

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:50 AM

There are loads of coaching sights on the internet. Some are better than others, and as you’d expect there are plenty of sites and opinions that contradict each other.

There are also groups on Facebook that share coaching drills and various best practice stuff. Touchtight is one, Football Coaching Drills is another. I’ve got a load of coaching stuff that I’ve built up over the years that I’d be happy to share, including a lot for 5/6/7 year olds. Not sure how exactly to do it mind, without giving everyone my email address…..

• 63 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Lilo, yup, like I said, I’m not sure he knows what his best eleven is yet, because Ritchie aside, nobody has grasped a position and made it his own. Which in turn explains why Ritchie keeps playing. He’s always rotated wherever he’s been though and let’s be honest, although I fancy us to win the league, I always new it wasn’t going to be a walkover. We’ll keep improving and stay fitter, when other clubs struggle to put out their best eleven. Maybe not having a fixed best eleven, but a very good squad all round is the way he sees winning a very long and strenuous season. Time will tell, but I’m not panicking yet, not by a long shot. Really looking forward to tomorrow night, which I see as two footballing sides squaring up.

• 64 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Lilo, e mail it to Ed and ask him to pass it on to munster, who can e mail ed too.

• 65 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:00 AM

Munster, I’ll take promotion on goal difference mate. This league is tougher than I expected, nothing like last time we were down. I’ll be amazed if we don’t get promoted tbh, because we’ve got everything we need in place. We’re going to have to be patient this season, but the longer it goes on, the stronger we’ll get imo.

• 66 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:02 AM

Lilo, very decent of you to offer your help by the way. Actually, there’s a well paid job for a coach over here just become available as it happens… 🙂

• 67 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:03 AM

…probably like coaching a bunch of spoilt kids as well! 🙂

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:03 AM

I don’t think anyone is panicking, I’m confident we will go up still. I don’t think Rafa has got it all right so far though, and I don’t see an issue with discussing some of the finer points as we have done tonight. A lot of people won’t hear a bad word said about him, and jump on people for saying what I’ve said tonight.

As for tomorrow, I’m disappointed it fell on a Champions League night. Had it not, I reckon they would have probably televised it here. It will be a tough game tomorrow. I think they are the biggest threat to us for the title. But they are also very beatable. We can’t afford another performance like Wolves, or even the second half at Villa.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:07 AM

Ha, I’ll stick with where I am thanks! In the process of bringing in a new group of players between 8 and 10, so it is quite an interesting and exciting time. Seeing how they adapt to a totally different environment from the limited coaching and exposure they have previously had, to a well resourced and structured set up that focuses on them as people, their education as well as their football.

Also quite difficult, as some of them move away from parents for this opportunity, which is clearly a daunting experience at that age, but one they want to take up and one their parents are only to happy to pack them off for.

• 70 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:11 AM

Lilo, nobody is above criticism or it borders on facism. There are one or two though who jump on every little thing and actually seem happy to hope he fails, which is bizarre to say the least. I think he should give Darlow a chance, but there might have been an agreement behind closed doors that we’re unaware of. He even admits himself he’s got things wrong, so I don’t have a problem with criticism where it’s due. He will always rotate though and that’s something we have to accept.
    Anyway, it’s one o’clock turned and I’ve got something else to do before turning in. Good chat, thanks. G’night all.

• 71 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Having said that, it has its drawbacks. We had a 13year old diagnosed with Rheumatic Heart Disease last week. He can’t play at any sort of intensity anymore, and so can’t join in our sessions now. Incredibly sad for him, we are trying to get him to get involved on the coaching side, but his dad is determined he will keep playing so may take him to another team, regardless of the health problems it may cause.

Hopefully he will stay so we can continue to cover his education costs, his health care, assist with his diet and give him an option within the sport that, whilst not playing, still keeps him involved.

• 72 Bobbybee // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:13 AM

You’re clearly doing a fine and unselfish job mate. Respect due. G’night… or whatever it is over there! 🙂

• 73 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Night Bobby. Cheers.

• 74 MidlandsMag // Sep 28, 2016 at 5:17 AM

Lilongwe at 69

Have I understood correctly that you train children from the age of 8 who actually leave the care of their parents to do this?

• 75 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 5:54 AM

No, 8 year olds don’t leave their families, we have separate more localised setups for that age group. We have got 12 year olds, though, and an 11 year old. Where possible they will stay with relatives who live in the capital.

• 76 expatmag // Sep 28, 2016 at 7:06 AM

back on subject, you would have to think that with 6 british manager being investigated for bungs, the likes of Allardyce Hughes Pardew Howe Neill McLaren Sherwood Pulis Monk Rogers would all be wondering which of them it is as they all managed last season in the premiership.

It could also be a reason why the FA made such a quick ultimatum to a certain manager recently

• 77 firebug666 // Sep 28, 2016 at 7:09 AM

It’s funny really, because Fat Sam didn’t get the push because he is corrupt, let’s face it the FA is corrupt have been for donkeys, corruption is a way of life in football.

No Fat Sam got the push because he got caught, my guess is this is just the beginning, a few months of witch hunting and finger pointing should be enough to have a mini purge, and allow the FA to get back to some decent skimming while claiming they have cleaned up the English game.

• 78 Slank // Sep 28, 2016 at 7:35 AM

Because of the corruption at FIFA and UEFA the FA had to be seen as squeaky clean and the removal of Allardyce was a foregone conclusion.

It will be interesting to see whether clubs will react in the same way for those in the game that are going to be exposed.

It will be difficult, arguably impossible for clubs not to follow the example of the FA if their employees are exposed.

However, what would happen if an official was exposed at one club but has since moved to another club ?

• 79 BandB // Sep 28, 2016 at 7:36 AM

“It’s a big responsibility. As an individual, I’ve got to stay positive all the time, even if I want to lose my head or whatever or get angry.”

Lascelles has clearly had some quiet advice on captaincy.

• 80 lesh // Sep 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM

I’d imagine that any indiscretion is sanctionable regardless of which club a manager’s with.

Recent history and the transfer regime at NUFC should ideally exclude our pre-Rafa managers as they seemingly had no say in comings or goings. That’s not to say that others involved in transfer dealings and player terms aren’t squeaky clean though.

I’ve a feeling there’ll be one or two surprises in the mix – if any innuendo is proved to be true.

• 81 thebionicMAG // Sep 28, 2016 at 8:10 AM

If he was like the rest of us i.e. living hand to mouth, then I could understand the temptation. But the truth is he’s been paid handsomely for a very long time and had a 3M contract with the FA. I mean for heaven’s sake how much money is NOT enough for these people?

• 82 Jail for Ashley // Sep 28, 2016 at 8:12 AM

I’m not condoning his actions what so ever as taking bungs as always been a sleight on the game and FIFA are to of the tree, but you can see the temptation for managers whn they see the ridiculous money that the agents are making for setting up a deal.

• 83 Slank // Sep 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Because of the fear of very expensive litigation, the press tend to be very thorough in their investigations but even if the allegations are marginally true the reputation of the manager and his future job prospects are irredeemable compromised.

I think we may be about to see a can of worms appearing and their subsequent consequences.

I’m wondering whether the FA and the clubs can both take action.

For instance, can the FA remove a coaching badge from a manager or coach ? Would the LMA remove a manager from their cosy club ? Will the alleged offences be subject to criminal or civil prosecution ?

I hope Rafa is squeaky clean.

previous post: This Is Definitely Good News For Newcastle