The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Porto Manager Talks In Glowing Terms Of Newcastle Coach

12:15 pm, Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Newcastle’s young coach Ian Cathro joined Newcastle in the summer of last year and joined Newcastle as one of the best young coaches around.

He was hired by head coach Steve McClaren who proved to be completely out of his depth at Newcastle and was fired last March.

When Ian joined Ian had just served as the assistant manager at Rio Ave for a couple of years from 2012 and then for one year at Valencia.

Nuno and Ian Cathro at Valencia

Both were with manager Nuno Espírito Santo – known as Nuno – who moved to Porto in the summer after resigning from Valencia last year.

The two men had first met at an SFA coaching course in Scotland back in 2009 when Ian was just 23.

Nuno is giving various interviews because Porto play against Leicester City tonight in the Champions League.

He has talked about Cathro and how they worked so well together:

“We will be connected forever.” “We built together. We were young, we started together, we did something nobody believed in.”

“Now Rio Ave are in Europe. If I ever went to the Premier League he would be my first call, the first person I would tell. We have shared so much.”

Nuno and Ian Cathro took Rio Ave to be runners-up in both Portuguese cups in 2013-2014, and at Valencia they reached 4th place in La Liga in 2014-2015 and qualified for the Champions League.

But then Nuno parted ways with the Spanish club in November of last year.

But things certainly didn’t improve under the replacements that followed him – Gary Neville and then Pako Ayestaran.

When Rafa signed for Newcastle he decided to keep Ian Cathro and the goalkeeping coach Simon Smith and commented he had heard very good things about Ian as a young coach.

At some point in the future Ian has said he would like to be  a manager and he will certainly be learning a lot about that from  Rafa Benitez.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Jib – blissfully unaware that in any fame, modern or historic, the sharp end of a goalies’ game negates all the other niceties when he can’t do it well.

NufcPaul- hey, Gypsy Boy, enough of that or you’ll Hear My Train ‘Coming 🙂

• 2 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Fame game

• 3 NUFCPaul // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Tsunki – there’s one or two Google link posters on here who I’d like to see walking into crosstown traffic without looking first. I’m sure there would be an audience applauding all along the watchtower when that happens.

• 4 posada // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM

You’ve said something negative about St Rafa.
    You’ll be condemned as a heretic.

By the way on Shearer. We won nowt during his ten years at the club. He was paid a fortune and for the last 6 of those years we set the team up to service his needs. That would never have happened at Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal.
    We had some great moments and I’m grateful to him for that, but we did as much for him as he did for us.

• 5 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Puff, pant, might just catch the train…………………….made it just!!!!!

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:29 PM

When a team is under the type of pressure ours has had for the past few seasons it becomes difficult for a GK to find someone to pass too.
    Therefore the long hopeful ball upfield is the only way out.

Yes this does invite more pressure as it does as often as not come straight back making the GK job even harder. It certainly doesn’t help when your defenders were Taylor and Collocini to mention just two.

Unlike Sels, Krull didn’t had the luxury of a competent defense in front of him (albeit in a lower division) so comparisons are moot points.

Everything has a relevance even in football.

• 6 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Not unaware – blissfully or otherwise.

My point is (speaking slowly cos it IS Tsunki) that the sharp end stuff is pretty much even steven between all our goalies , it’s in the other parts of their duties (as Jayfoto pointed out yesterday ) that Sels is so markedly superior.

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Jib thanks for the slow speaking it really helped. But surely, I know… bear with me on this, if you have to choose between a good positional shot-stopper with lacklustre distribution, or a sublime distributor who couldnt stop a pig in an alley….erm… well… ermmm….

• 8 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Posada – you left out Bobby Robsons dismal start to his sacking season. Tino was a gunslinger. Gillespie had a problem avoiding the bookies…

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Nice for a GK to have good distribution skills, but if he’s not great at taking ownership of the penalty area, get someone who is and use… ooohhh I dunno…. a defender….to distribute from the back? Just an idea. 😐

• 10 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM

The Tyne bridge was an ugly bodge job and everyone who worked on it was a drunken slacker….how am I doing?

• 11 Ron Knee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Why did the discussion of Hendrix start?

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Lesh, indeed I was a late riser following the debate in the early hours. Disappointing really. I think they both have not just skeletons in their cupboards, but entire cemeteries locked away, so both were worried about starting first. I was hoping for a bloodpath, but got a babyshower at best. 🙂 Maybe next time.
    With Sels, I wonder if Rafa told him that he would give him 10 games to settle in without the pressure of being dropped – barring monumental disasters – as we know this sometimes happens. If so, it’s unlikely he’ll go back on it. I’m sure he can see and will take action eventually. New country, new club, new defence etc, he may have given him time to settle in. I agree though, it’s time he did settle in or move over for Darlow.

• 13 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Haha ah Jib if we get into this will u actually debate it or just do ur normal thing? Am happy to actually discuss Sels in an adult conversation but last time I tried with u it quickly fell away and how Uve started this one doesn’t exactly make me think I’ll get a different out come this time

• 14 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Least am not lacking in football knowledge alone eh haha

previous post: England Manager Sam Allardyce In Hot Water