The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Press Conference – We Must Stay Calm

1:20 pm, Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

Rafa has just finished giving his press conference for the home league game against Norwich City tomorrow night.

Norwich have won their last five league games so they are the in-form side in the Championship at the moment and they are top of the league.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez at his press conference

Here’s some of the initial comments Rafa made during his press conference today:

“It’s important for both teams, but we have a lot of games to play – we can’t win the title tomorrow.”

“We have to stay calm, concentrate, do our jobs properly and keep winning games.”

“If we can improve our game a bit, we will have more chances to win. We have to be ready.”

“There is room for improvement. It is a question of doing things in the right way.”

“Yedlin is doing well in the training sessions – he’s working hard.” “We knew about his potential.”

“The most difficult thing is to score goals. You have to take your chances.”

“Norwich are a good team. Their offensive players are good, they have pace and experience.”

“We have to do well if we want to win.”

Most fans think we can win the game tomorrow night and that will take us within one point of Norwich.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Undecided on Sels or Darlow for tomorrow, maybe the blind spot is fading

• 2 DubaiMicky // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Much as would love to say a win, can’t see it tomorrow. I don’t think the team have been together long enough.

Prove me wrong Rafa.

• 3 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Glad to hear Yedlin is doing well in training as I have him in my lineup, was worried he might not make it.

• 4 LGFUAD21 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Sels will develop.

Remember David De Gea when he first joined Man U?

Now look at him. It doesn’t help when the fans jump straight on him.

I remember Darlow looking very shaky when he first started playing but settled in eventually.

Fans need to stay calm this season. Its a long season, its a tough season. The league is a different beast to the last time we were down. Lots of decent teams, lots of decent managers.

Win or Lose tonight, it’s not the end of our promotion dreams.

ATM, the fans are just vilifying the pundits opinion that we’re an unmanageable club. it’s not just the poor ownership, the fans are impossible to please.

One week the fans are standing post game with complete arrogance chanting “We’re Newcastle and We’re gonna win the league”, the next week we’re booing our players and harassing our GK on twitter.

We need to sort it out for Christ’s sake

• 5 Graeme // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM

In Rafa we trust!!

He was given the job; He’s proved time and again that he’s more than capable of doing the job. Look at the changes he has instigated since he arrived and since he agreed to stay with us. Look at the improvements, from top to bottom at NUFC.

Stop trying to second guess him, doing his job for him.

Just let him get on with it, enjoy the ride and the celebrations at the end of the season!!!

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM

I don’t think Sels is a bad keeper per say, but I think he’s lacking in confidence when it comes to crosses and that is a big issue. No doubt they’re working hard on it in training, but until there’s 50k fans in the stadium you simply can’t recreate a match day scenario. The kindest thing would be to take him out of the firing line and let him sit on the bench until he gets used to massive crowds and the pressure that must bring. Sending him dickhead tweets is definitely not the way to help him!

• 7 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM

ITsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    Yo exactly.
    For example, my gripe with Kruls distribution is the lost advantage / lost possession one, it’s cost us dearly in a way few stats can explain.

There’s nowt like changing your stance on something to suit the agument.

• 8 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM

I still think Sels will be starting tomorrow, you don’t drop a keeper for a mistake if you want to build his confidence.

• 9 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:32 PM

argument even

• 10 LGFUAD21 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Agree with firebug.

If Rafa drops him, it’ll be seen by some as “you were right, this guy aint good enough”

• 11 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Wheeze, puff, pant, can I catch up again, don’t know if my ticker can take this…………….nearly there…….nearly there…..done it. Now where is the buffet car?

Booby caught the highlights ( πŸ™ ) of the debate.
    What a nice couple they make, I would have absolute faith in both of them.

• 12 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I still don’t think it was Sel’s mistake.
    Lascelles told Dummet to take one of Villa’s big lads and should have told one of the midfielders to take the near post in his place.
    The defense did its job forcing the header postward but no defender on the post to clear was our downfall.

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Sorry that was meant to be Bobby, genuine mistake.

• 14 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Got to say when Yedders went down I feared the worse for Wednesday night and the next few games. If he’s back training then I fancy him and Ritchie to torment their defence tomorrow night. Looks like the making of a very good partnership down that flank. Scare the bejeebers out of their left back. πŸ™‚

Pardew 5/1 to take over from Hippo Heed. The mind boggles.

• 15 LGFUAD21 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I wouldnt completely absolve Sels of being at fault but where was the man at the post?

• 16 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:40 PM

The sad thing is social media could be a great way to get to know our players, I have passed words with a few from time to time, and even had a reply on rare occasions.

To use it to abuse players in the way it was used against Sels is disgusting. That is no way to get a player to up his game.

Many like myself don’t like the way he flaps at crosses, and doesn’t catch the ball, but I would never abuse him for it, I might say plenty on here about players, but never be derogatory to them, we need their confidence up not down.

Still every fan base has it’s idiots I suppose.

• 17 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM

It’s not for a mistake though it’s for bad performances

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Nay bother Bill, we all drop the odd booby mate πŸ™‚ Aye, they were like an ameable old couple. Not what I was hoping for. The feed stopped for a minute and I thought maybe one of them had been targetted by another lone crazed gunman. (Cough cough).

• 19 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Oh Jibby Jib jibbery jib….agument, argument it’s all the same. If you don’t get it just be big enough to say so.

I’ve made it clear that Kruls downfall was his distribution, to the point where at one time he consistently stuck it high into touch short of the half way line, terrible amounts of lost possession when we should have forced playing out from the back. But he couldn’t half stop a shot on his day.

I know which one I’d pick between the two Dutch men, jib you nitpicking pillock.

• 20 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:46 PM

I have to agree that he does not fill the fans with confidence mate, and the back four work hard to keep shot to long range, I can’t speak for them but I fear they may not be as confident in him as Rafa appears to be.

I recon he will be on tomorrow, and the best we can hope for is the fans sing his name and boost his confidence, you never know when it will click for him, but I hope and pray it’s sooner rather than later.

• 21 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM

• 22 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Listen, Sels may come good. I just think he should do it in the reserves. There’s only so much leeway in this season before we aren’t even one of the top three teams any more.

• 23 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:49 PM

• 24 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Don’t agree with the abuse thing though, it’s pointless really. Better just keep the bitchin’ on here, amongst ourselves. Where nobody sees or cares πŸ™‚

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Firebug, you ain’t wrong mate. Get behind the lad to let him know we ain’t all knuckle draggers and that we all want him to do well. I didn’t know anything about him before he came here, but reports had him highly rated. Clearly he’s struggling just now but as long as Rafa persists with him we need to help as much as possible.

• 26 Tsunki // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Bill we know you meant it ha ha..

• 27 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Jib does Mark Douglas know more than Rafa.

β€œYedlin is doing well in the training sessions – he’s working hard.” β€œWe knew about his potential.”

User Actions

Mark DouglasVerified account
    Injuries-wise, Colback training. Yedlin touch & go. Everyone else is ok.

I’ll stick with Rafa thanks.

• 28 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM

If he starts then am behind him but he doesnt deserve too and hes costing us points

• 29 Jib // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Which one is Tsunki ?

• 30 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Again I agree, personally I feel the same, but as you say we need to get behind him and lift his confidence, in turn that may lift his game and we might just see the Sels we all hoped we got.

Maybe a MOTM performance tomorrow! πŸ˜€

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Jib, do we get five points for a correct guess? πŸ™‚ About as much chance as Rafa’s bingo like!

• 32 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Hmm maybe but its not like hes had people on his back all season and his performances havent changed

I hope he doesnt have a save to make tomorrow personally or a corner to deal with

• 33 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Firebug, I’d prefer it if he doesn’t need to put in a motm performance myself mate. He can save that for a cup tie against a top PL game. I have sympathy for him myself. I played in an army cup game with a thousand people watching and that was scary enough. Took a good ten minutes before my legs stopped shaking! πŸ™‚

• 34 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Yeah corners a scary, more so than last season when we didn’t have a defence to speak of. We can only trust Rafa to know what he is doing on this one.

Sels himself needs to pick up the mantle and start to command his area, he should be barking out orders from the minute we come under attack.

Unfortunately for us all we can do is grip the edge of our seats and watch, hope and pray.

If he must flap, slap and punch I just wish our outfield players would be more aware and have someone ready to pounce on the loose ball, someone other than the opposition that is.

But then again it could go anywhere, a bit like Jail’s Rafa bingo……Difficult to predict!

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM

WWSBRD, πŸ™‚ on the same page there mate!

• 36 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Aye marra, but I would take a man of the match performance over a defeat. I never played football in front of a big crowd mate, but I did enter a Karaoke competition once and the place was chock a block full, glad the beer was flowing. πŸ˜€

• 37 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Firebug, if a motm performance is required, then it would be nice. I just hope he has a quiet night and we win comfortably. There wouldn’t be a big crowd for my karaoke efforts mate. Not once i’d started anyway! πŸ™‚

• 38 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Fingers crossed Sels proves his worth or has nothing to do tomorrow

Id love him to play well and be a PL level keeper (Id say is why we bought him in the first place) but he looks very poor so far

• 39 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM

We could easily have half of the bloggers on here in that photo, which one is you Jib. πŸ™‚

• 40 firebug666 // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:15 PM

I agree on the quiet night and a good win. Lets hope that when called upon he is up to the task. Another clean sheet would be great.

• 41 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:18 PM

If he plays I’d love to see him prove us doubters wrong and have a stormer, we all want the same thing, the team winning!

• 42 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Our young coach seems to be very highly rated in Spain, which is as good as anywhere to be rated. I hope Rafa is using him as his apprentice because he wants to be a manager one day and he couldn’t ask for a better teacher really.

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Firebug, I’m easy to find in the ground mate. Just follow the out of tune hollering and bingo! That’s me. πŸ™‚ Shame like, because I like to sing – but I’m a minority of one in that.

• 44 clinath@ed // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Is it just me, or is Rafa’s comment on Yedlin more of a general assessment of his time here, and not pertaining to him coming back tomorrow?

• 45 Oldgit1 // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Appears moyes uses zonal marking as well as Rafa. Concerning that be Benekick (wrong spelling I know) said he knew he would score when he found Sunderland was using zonal marking. Have forwards found a way to beat this type of marking?

• 46 Bobbybee // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Clint, could be a bit of both mate. Touch and go is better than not playing for sure in my books. We always have Mbemba who can adequately fit in at right back and he’s not exactly slow. Nice partnership building up with the magic man and yedders though, it would be a shame to split them up.

previous post: Porto Manager Talks In Glowing Terms Of Newcastle Coach