The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez – Winning In This Way Is A Boost For Everybody

11:46 pm, Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Rafa Benitez kept Dwight Gayle and Mo Diame in the side for tonight’s game against Norwich City even though they missed several chances at Aston Villa on Saturday.

But Rafa has managed close to 1,000 games (982 to be exact) and he knows when players should be dropped and when to keep them in the side.

And Rafa was rewarded by keeping Dwight in the side with three excellent goals from the former Crystal Palace striker – he now has 7 goals for the season.

Rafa Benitez on the touchline tonight

Newcastle took a deserved lead in the first half after we had been dominating the game but then we gave away a penalty just before half time so it was just 1-1 at the break.

Norwich then scored two goals in the first 24 minutes of the second half to go 3-1 up before an amazing comeback that saw Newcastle score two goals in the last two minutes of stoppage time to win the game.

This is what Rafa Benitez said after the amazing game tonight:

“I said the other day that against Aston Villa, he had one or two clear chances and things could have been different.”

“Every striker will have those situations, and I will always try to give confidence to a striker as long as he continues working.”

“It is not just about scoring goals.”  “He has been working hard – he had chances in the first half – and then his goals came in the second half.”

” I’m really pleased for him, and really pleased for the team.”

“You never know how important this could be,” “It is still early, but if you win and you win in this way, it is a boost for everyone. It is a boost for the players and the fans.”

“You have to give credit for the players because their work rate and spirit – everything you are looking for – you could see.”

“You could see all of those things.”

It was an amazing win by the lads – simply an unbelievable fight-back.

The players – all of them – deserve great credit – and this win could turn out to be really big one for us and give the lads the confidence to put together a good winning streak.

Hope so.

Howay The Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Interview · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 FAU // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Benitz must drop Diame and Colback for next game.

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Just came onto the blog and was reading through the match comments as it was being played.

I was getting more and more depressed as I read and was thinking here we go another shocker.

But the finale was bloody amazing I couldn’t believe what was happening, we only go and win what looked like a lost cause.

Brilliant well done the lads and from what I’ve seen of the highlights the fans as well.

I’ll bet the Norwich fans were sick as parrots.

Were any of our fans leaving when we were down as extra time started, if they did they must be kicking themselves.

Onwards and upwards, EPL here we come. The other teams must be trembling.

• 3 stuart no9 // Sep 29, 2016 at 12:12 AM

didnt see the game but listened on radio and for the first time in a long time done what no NUFC fan should do – couldnt listen to the last 10 mins and turned it off .
    Ive been going tp SJP now for 50 years and the basic rule ever since i first went was never ever leave the ground before that final whistle, its something ive always said to my 2 boys because this is not just a football club , its newcastle utd , and youll realise what i mean in years to come . Tonight i done the unthinkable and went to the coop to get another bottle of wine On my return , the wife said ” you never quess what ” i said we equalised, she said yep , in the 95th minute, then with the slightest of glances and in a very soft tone said ” and knicked it in the 96th., its just a good job id already put my coop bag down with the wine in it, i couldnt move i was clued to the spot. funny, the last time i turned off before full time we were playing Arsenal and Tiote scored his only goal since he was 10 i think.
    Never ever again

• 4 geordieviking // Sep 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Learnt my lesson a long time ago when I left SJP with 10 mins to go and the lads 2-5 down to WHU. Got home just in time to see the score come up on the old teleprinter, 5-5 (no extra time back then). Later saw in the Pink that Jim Joey also hit a post in the last seconds. Never left a match again.

• 5 mickybraham // Sep 29, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Absolutely unbelievable! Glad the majority of fans stuck with the lads. I would say at 3-1 but more at 3-2. Lads were playing well and we got behind them and kept at it!

Loudest I’ve heard st James’ since the 4-4 against Arsenal.

Made it hard for our selves but it is Newcastle United why should I expect anything else.

• 6 one fine day // Sep 29, 2016 at 12:52 AM

stuart no 9
    i think the opposite with your record 🙂
    if we are ever locked at 3.3 with barcelona with 90 seconds left in a champs league final please feel free to nip oot for a fresh bottle 🙂
    it seems to work

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 29, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Bed time, but it’s great to be able to turn in so happy, long trip tomorrow so I hope I can sleep.

Good night all.

• 8 Thump // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:02 AM

At 94 minutes I was thinking “fsck me, why am I paying for a season ticket?”

Then the 95th minute happened and it all came flooding back.

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:08 AM

That is one of the best games I’ve been to, simply for the fact that two goals in stoppage time to win the game rarely happens, and this game was a ‘big’ game in the Championship.

I couldn’t breathe for cheering and laughing. It was unbelievable. Ironically, I turned to my pal in the build up to the second goal and said this will be hilarious if we score again – cue immediate lack of breathing 😀

Mitro played a part in the build ups and although not masterfully dominant, he had an effect to not make things easy for them and make the ball stick a bit more.

Had the crosses which were put in most of the game been to him, there’d have been more joy, rather than the smaller players they were aimed at which was straddling the line of pointless.

I’m not going to do a full review or anything, but I’d like to mention Ciaran Clark. I thought he did very well today; strong in one-to-ones and made some timely tackles and headers.

I was saying during the game that Mitro up front with Gayle playing Diame’s position and moving up to support would work well – Time for Diame to be dropped if it was up to me.

They didn’t do much in final third at all. Penalty, world class goal and a deflection – they won’t get that lucky every week. We should have been 4-0 up in 20 minutes.

Great result. Players went mental at the end and the whole bench sprinted out from the touchline like something from the 300 movie. The players, led by Lascelles, came round to the fans at the end clapping us. Mitro was going berserk on the way round at the Gallowgate. Brilliant. His near suplex of Rafa was a great sight – arms round him and launched him off his feet.

A night to remember.

Rule one off going to a football game, never leave before the final whistle…

• 10 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:11 AM