The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Mick Quinn’s Funny Reaction To Amazing Magpies Win

11:03 pm, Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

I can sympathize with Mick – it was heart attack conditions in stoppage time tonight when Newcastle equalized through Yoan Gouffran 5 minutes into the six minutes allotted and then hat-trick hero Dwight Gayle – fittingly Newcastle’s number 9 – scored the winner one minute later.

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Tweet · Twitter

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:06 PM

WW,
    No need to repost again! I saw both!

Yeah, Murphy or Mitro, although Mitro is the better player in my opinion, and the added experience this season will benefit us more next than Murphy getting the time.

• 2 toonbrother // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:06 PM

crying shame seeing this great club labouring away in the champiionship
    Had colo been let go 2 seasons ago, we’d still be a premier league side, Sunderland wouldve been a championship side and allardyce would never have been given the opportunity to disgrace himself at national level
    crying shame indeed

• 3 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Cracking result lads, well done. On to the next one!

• 4 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Wwsbrd

Murphy has had 1 really good season in the championship and is 33, I’d rather give the 22 year old a chance with Gayle especially considering the role he played in goals 3 and 4 with crucial knock downs. I’ve seen quite a bit of Murphy, grafts hard, can run the channels but at 33 he’s declining and won’t improve.

Mitro all day long for me ahead of Murphy

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Lil
    Haha I wouldnt of bothered this time Eds going on a mad one

Think we can agree to differ on Mitro mate, I dont see Rafa playing 2 up top though tbh. Weve done well with 4231 and we have a easier run in coming so no need to change it up

• 6 Budge123 // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Both Diame and Dummett were dreadful tonight. Diame especially.
    1 great touch in the second half but other than that not at the races.

At home we need 2 up top. We can take teams apart up here but we need to go for it.

Time for positive changes raga please

• 7 Budge123 // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Lol Rafa not raga

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Our Toon
    Am not bothered about Murphy improving tbh just need him for this season then when we get to the PL we will get another striker in

I dont particularly rate Mitro he cant score and hes not a good target man imo

• 9 jasper // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Charlie style rating – I was there.
    Darlow. 6. Didn’t really have much to do and not at fault for any of the goals
    Yedlin 8. Great game and had to run off a significant knock. Played Richie in for his assist and got assist for the second goal.
    Lascalles. Solid. 6
    Clark. Ditto. Really made an effort. 7
    Dummett. What can I say. Dire. Norwich pressed him and he failed to get passes off repeatedly. Very poor and someone else has to have a turn. 2
    Gouffran. Usual game. Deducted a point for daft challenge. 6
    Colbeck. Put in a shift but daft booking with less than 10 minutes played. This inhibited him from making the challenge that might have prevented their third goal. 5
    Diame. Who said poor man’s Sissoko? All too true. Failed to control or lost the ball too often, didn’t get his foot in and little link up. 3
    Richie. I really like the effort he makes. If only he was a bit quicker. 7
    Shelvey. Not as enthusiastic about his performance as others. Poor attempt at defending when he let Jerome score. Deducted two points! 6
    Gayle. Made great effort to lead the line but bullied by big CBS. But made many runny, sits on shoulder of last defender like Bellamy. Could have scored even more. 9
    Subs. All three made a contribution and should have been on earlier
    Mitro won headers, might have scored and finally gave the CBS something to think about 7
    Hayden. Pushed the ball forward. 6
    Atsu. Brief appearance, one good cross.
    Hayden 7

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM

WW,
    Differ on whether Murphy is better than Mitro? Murphy definitely has the experience on Mitro, but Murphy has a worse goals per minutes played through his career than Shola. Even last season he had a worse goals to minutes played than Mitro did.

I think people do forget Mitro is younger than Perez. The price tag affects judgement as well, but Mitro got more goals and assists than Perez did in his first season last year.

• 11 lochinvar // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM

If I was a Norwich fan it must feel like Delia Smith has been voted off the GB Bake Off because her buns deflated.
    Unreal match but then again that’s Newcastle for you

• 12 Budge123 // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Jasper 100% spot on with your ratings and reasons.

• 13 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Wwsbrd

The 2 goals came from his knock downs mate, how is he not a good target man?

• 14 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Lil
    Ive not seen that much of Murphy but I have seen plenty of Mitro mate

I could give u reasons for not rating Mitro mate but Id be going over old ground

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM

just got in from match _ Jesper heres mine
    Absolutely washed out – been through every emotion every high every low.

Norwich came with a game plan keep the score to 0-0 and maybe nick a goal which let Newcastle be on the front front foot – played well first 25 minutes should of been at least 3 up before we scored.
    Soon as we scored Norwich changed their set up and came at us resulting in us going back to our slow slow sideways backwards hoof it long play – which inevitably let us making a mistake and a equaliser.
    Agin slack defending half asleep – crap marking for second and sat back and let the guy shoot for third goal.
    Great ball from Shelvey and great take and shot from Gayle to make it 3-2
    bringing on Hayden for Diame who was poor and Mitro for Colback who was also poor changed the tempo of the game for the TOON – but we still huffed and puffed without creating any chances until the 95th minute – still cannot believe it

Merit marks
    Darlow – 7 did have much to do heart in mouth in 97th minute when he spilt shot but recovered to grab the ball
    Dummett – 7 defended well but when attacking needs to many touches on the ball in deciding what to do.
    Clark – 4 distribution poor kept mis-hitting the ball out of play and Jerome had the beating of him in the air
    Lascalles – 6 Did ok still wants to pass the ball sideways to much
    Yedlin – 8 pick of the defenders – great pace going forwards got in tackles – put in a shift
    Diame – 3 thought we had sold Sissoko – lazy sod
    Colback – 4 got stuck in but in the wrong places gave away to many needless free kicks and a silly booking
    Shelley – 8 played some great balls over the top for Gayle to run onto tended to over hit t cross field balls.
    Ritchie – 8 non stop running got a great touch and great close ball control – linked up well with Yedlin
    Goufran -7 not as effective as recent weeks gave away pen but his heed never went down and on the score sheet again
    Gayle – 9 MY MOM – great Hat-trick but could of had 5 or 6 constant thorn in norwich’s side with his running onto the ball from Shelvey’s chip passes

Rafa – 8 got his subs right tonight maybe brought them on a tad to late.

Hayden 6 – made the difference in midfield when he came on carried the ball forward and got us going forward
    Mitro 5 – had a presence but again got himself involved in shoving and pushing to earn himself a booking but showed hw wanted it tonight – nearly squeezed the life out of RAFA at the end when he picked him up and hugged him

Crowd like the game noisy up for it down frustrated and the end last 2-3minutes – magical

Heard good one on radio like – 3 TOON fans had driven up from Swindon for the game – left in the 90th minute to drive back got in the car to find out we had won 4-3!!

All-in-all great result but still need to improve and put our chances away when we are in the ascendency.

Referee – 4 – absolute pants hadn’t a clue lost the plot the only reason I gave him 4 marks is 1 for each of the goals

• 16 benjohnsen // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Diame was better at 70% form than he is on 100%. Let him off for a week with some burger meals and he will play great again.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:27 PM

WW,
    Difficult to say that Murphy is better then if you haven’t seen much. He has only had one good season and is 33. He even struggled to get goals at Celtic in the SPL…

Happy to leave it there though, as I know Mitro seems to split opinion. He is far from perfect, but I think he offers a lot more than people give him credit for, and is becoming one of the latest scapegoats for some fans (not saying you are in this bracket, fully respect your opinion).

• 18 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Our Toon
    Because he cant hold the ball up

• 19 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Lil
    Never said he was better I said Id prefer to see him than Mitro, I think Mitro is poor

Hes not a scapegoat though mate u get more grief for questioning him than its worth in my experience (on the internet at least in town its more 50/50)

• 20 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Wwsbrd

Fair enough mate, he’s still a young lad. He showed tonight that you don’t need to hold the ball up if you have runners around you.

Win the ball, knock it down for the runners and cause havoc. Shola could hold it up, wasn’t much better at anything gets else though.

Anyway let’s enjoy the win!!

• 21 Small World // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Mitro is a strange one.

If only playing one forward, he’ll get little game time. Gayle will always score more than him. Although Mitro did provide the knockdown for the last and does provide us with a “physical presence” – its a bit of a strange presence.

First of all when on the sidelines he did his bit to help wind up the crowd. Unbeliebvably it was to encourage us to boo louder at the ref!

The dozy lummox was on for maybe a minute when he thought he’d get involved in a bit of handbags at the wrong end of the pitch.

He can’t jump and spends most of his time watching and if need be playing the other man instead of concentrating on getting the ball. As a nuisance value I’d mark him a 9 or 10 every game. He’ll never be a top scorer. He has his occasional uses

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Rather than saying Diame is rubbish, I just think that he isn’t suited to the role he is playing, almost that of a number 10. He isn’t going to thread or create from there, he is a strong runner with the ball, but he isn’t inventive or creative.

Given Gayle is probably better off playing off the shoulder and getting on to threaded or through balls, Diame isn’t an ideal fit. His only assist came when he was wide right (at the time) and played a cross field ball at Bristol City to Gayle. Great ball, but came from having space to run into, a space to play the ball into, and an open area to do it in.

• 23 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Our Toon
    And he showed against Villa that u need to be able to hold the ball up, swings and round abouts

Ur free to rate him bud but I dont

• 24 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:41 PM

LG

Agreed on Diame, seems to be playing a role that he’s never done before. Will be interesting to see if he manages to put together good performances but it’s pointless playing him out of position.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:42 PM

WW,
    I know you didn’t, I was just questioning whether that was the bit you were suggesting we agreed to disagree. I think it is fairly 50/50 on here mind. He is very raw, but I think we look more threatening when he has played with Gayle, or our best, at QPR with Perez.

I think Murphy would offer similar, but I think Mitro has more to offer and more potential to develop and move forwards.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there on this one (with you at least) for tonight!

• 26 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM

on the penalty, looked to me like the Norwich player was clever, suddenly stopping, waiting for contact, and dive; hey presto, penalty. All in the blink of an eye.

• 27 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Lil
    No bother mate, am off. Am sure we will revisit the Mitro problem in future haha but until he starts doing something of note I cant see myself changing my mind (which I am willing to do I mean I like Goofy now and I can tolerate Anita these days as long as he plays at RB where he belongs)

• 28 NoahJ // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:45 PM

please can we try two up top: gayle and mitro against rotherham. we’re creating so many chances but not putting them away. against both villa and norwich, we should have been 3-0 up and nearly got bitten again tonight.

so happy with the win!

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Just came onto the blog and was reading through the match comments as it was being played.

I was getting more and more depressed as I read and was thinking here we go another shocker.

But the finale was bloody amazing I couldn’t believe what was happening, we only go and win what looked like a lost cause.

Brilliant well done the lads and from what I’ve seen of the highlights the fans as well.

I’ll bet the Norwich fans were sick as parrots.

Were any of our fans leaving when we were down as extra time started, if they did they must be kicking themselves.

Onwards and upwards, EPL here we come. The other teams must be trembling.

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Our Toon,
    We lack other options in that position though, unless Gayle drops deeper and we use Mitro or Murphy as the focal point. Perez has struggled most of this season there. Maybe Shelvey gets pushed forward, but that leaves a deeper 2 who lack passing range and offensive impetus – regardless of which 2 you pick. o

Atsu has played there, so maybe he could be an option moving forward as well.

• 31 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Wwsbrd

Yeah same villa game where Gayle and Diame missed clear chances that 9 times out of 10 they’d have scored. Because they missed them chances it doesn’t mean they are bad players, just like mitro not holding up well enough against villa doesn’t mean he can’t do it.

Gayle like many others in the squad will continue to be inconsistent as long as rotation policy is in place in my opinion.

As for mitro, like Anderlecht and Serbia he’s always had runners off him which is where he’s more effective, ineffective though when you want to lump it forward and expect him to keep hold till others join in. He’ll always split opinion and may not make the grade here, but he will be a very good striker at another big European club there’s no doubt in that.

• 32 WWSBRD // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Our Toon
    Haha just because I referenced one match doesnt mean its the only time it happened mate rather just the most recent where it was clearly exposed

Well he has my blessing to go on and be a very good striker at a big European club just like all the others than didnt make the grade here

And with that I leave, Good night

• 33 chicousa // Sep 28, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I have to throw in with those who want Mitro in the lineup with Gayle or Perez playing off him. He wreaks havoc on defenders. He is not the swiftest of foot, but does seem to make things happen. He is a bit like a fisherman who uses hand grenades instead of a pole! But goals are scored when he is on the pitch, not always by him, but others around him seem delighted to pick up the dead fish! 🙂

previous post: Newcastle 4 Norwich 3 – Video For Overseas Fans