The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Huddersfield Boss – Newcastle The Better Side – Deserved To Win

6:33 pm, Thursday, September 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

It just turns out that Huddersfield manager David Wagner was at St. James’ Park last night to watch two of his promotion competitors in Newcastle United and Norwich City.

But it turns out he didn’t see the dramatic conclusion of the game in stoppage time when Newcastle scored twice in the last 90 seconds to win the game because he had left early to beat the traffic.

David heard the dramatic end of the game on his car radio – but he says he thought Newcastle deserved to win the game because they were the better side.

david-wagner

David Wagner – Huddersfield manager

OK – that’s good – but if you are Norwich that means nothing because if you are 3-2 up with less than a  couple of minutes to play in the game you should be able to hang on.

This is what David said to the Huddersfield Daily Examiner:

“I got the final result on my drive home.” “To be fair, I think Newcastle deserved their win. In my opinion, they were the better team on the night.”

Huddersfield are the surprise team of the Championship so far after 10 games played and they are leading the league.

They have 22 points from 10 games played and next up they visit Ipswich on Saturday in the last round of games before the two week International break.

If Huddersfield lose to Ipswich Town and Norwich lose at Wolves tomorrow night then Newcastle have a chance to top the league if we beat Rotherham on the road on Saturday.

That would be good.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle192140
2Brighton191739
3Reading19234
4Birmingham19231
5Sheffield Wednesday19131
6Norwich19430

Tags: Championship · Management · Newcastle News · Teams

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Sorry Ed. I’m rooting for the Terriers. I very nearly went down on Tuesday to watch them play Rotherham but couldn’t be arsed with the drive. I would like to see them finish second behind us.

• 2 lochinvar // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Hope you’ve all been on Twitter to see the ” Mitro dancing” sleeve cover for ” Have the time of your Life” – brilliant

Mitro seems to be a cross between Rocky and a Grizzly bear…on steroids

Guy next to us always leaves 5 mins early – wonder what he’ll do next hone game

Awesome night….in the end

• 3 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:01 PM

After last night and today’s blog rush, Ed’s rattling ’em out again, already so soon.

For a man who’s been through what he’s been through, he’s like the Roadrunner on speed!

• 4 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Bobbybee

Presumably David Wagner’s early departure’s acceptable?

Nice of him to say what he said about the better team winning though.

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM

A rival right now maybe

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM

One point of note of Gayle’s performance last night is that he never stopped trying. It would have been easy for him to disappear from the game having missed a stack of chances however he kept going.
    Super Mac always says never be afraid to shoot and Gayle showed why it is important to keep plugging away even if it is not going for you.

• 7 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Wow!!!

What a result. Think this is the kind of result that changes the season.
    I was not available to watch it but then again it would have been too stressfull. What a bloody result. Somebody mentioned how Norwich kept most of their team from the PL is that correct?

Judging by the highlights we should have had them dead and buried again, but then we came right with the scoring. I am loving Gouffran the man is man of the season so far because of his crucial goals.

Pitty he is 30 already. Hope Rafa gets more out of him once we get into the PL 😉 Always had a soft spot for him. Worker player and got Pardoned unfortunately.

This could well be the turning point for us. Come Jan more players would want to join us possibly as promotion could be on the cards if we play our cards right.

Is Atsu honestly going to be sold already? He barely played.??

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM

People are saying we should have had it won in the first half but who’s to say we would have created all those chances if we’d scored the first one twenty minutes earlier, we seemed to take our foot right off the gas after the goal. We are a young brand new team that is still learning, three points of the top and the best GD for a team that is just finding it’s self isn’t too shabby.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:37 PM

gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola),
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how loud did you laugh out loud when they equalised, did you laugh louder as they scored more or were all laughs at our demise on equal decibels?

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM

gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola),
    Did you get angry when we scored?

• 11 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM

lol jfa.

Probably both.

• 12 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:05 PM

I bet you there wasn’t many fans watching sky sports news at 3-3 that thought we’d scored the 4th goal when he said there’s been another goal.

I watched that bit through my fingers 🙂

• 13 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Belfast- from the back of the sofa. Belfast General Hospital- the fall!

• 14 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Jail

It’s rare that you and I agree – but Gorgonzola’s weasely contriving to say something negative about the last 24 hours is toe-curling.

I see Dick Advocaat is back where he should be – managing in Europe – he has Fenerbhace against Feyernoord tonight .

He was never going to get that managing Midden on Wear was he ?

Rumour has it that the Telegraph is looking at some of Fat Sam’s dealings at the Stadium of Plight.
    A nice points deduction for the scum would be luvverly jubberly
    😀

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Jib,
    We’ll agree to disagree!

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Ian Toon,
    You are Gareth to Belfast’s David Brent.

• 17 clinath@ed // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:17 PM

I had it on the radio last night, and reading the blog. The blog was a minute or so ahead of the radio, so I was well confused when someone typed 4-3 as the radio announced the equaliser…..then the screaming started.

• 18 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:18 PM

This is more Ian and Belfast

• 19 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I’m recording it Ian. I’m watching the man u game at the moment. Jail shut ya face.

• 20 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Some of these teams in the Europa league woeful.

• 21 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Apparently Eric Black is tonights bung taker in the telegraph. I’m enjoying this nightly sting thing haha

• 22 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Jail when I say *Sting* I don’t mean bee sting. I’ll draw you a picture later Buster.

• 23 NUFCPaul // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM

People who talk about Dick Advocaat managing in Europe and Jimi Hendrix’s birthday aren’t real football fans.

• 24 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Mitrovic knock downs for both those last two goals, and Gayle’s second was astonishing. The ball, the control, the finish all exemplary. So fast. I think an attacking unit of Mitrovic and Gayle or Perez, with Shelvey supplying the passes, and Ritchie and Gouffran working the flanks, with Yedlin and hopefully Lazaar chiming in will be far too hot for this league, and with our solid options at DM and CB, we’d score far more than we’d concede. I expect Mitrovic to start next game, and unless he has a brain malfunction to basically stay there.

• 25 NUFCPaul // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:42 PM

And neither are people who post stupid links that have absolutely nothing to do with football. Yeah, they’re not real football fans either.

• 26 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Wasn’t Eric Black at villa?

Haha. Hope they get found guilty of dodgy dealings too with a nice little points deduction as punishment.

Bye bye villa.

• 27 Belfast // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Average I think Eric Black has been everywhere. He’s like the coaching version of Steve Claridge. He’s now with Southampton.

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:04 PM

I don’t think we should get cocky about other managers at other clubs, not just yet. Considering so many on here seem to think Graham Carr was involved with dodgy dealings with agents… just a thought like.

• 29 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Searched Eric Black and yes he was at villa and about 300 other clubs too.

Came across this as I was looking.

Lmfco.

GeorgeWeahsCousin ?@WeahsCousin

Harry Redknapp is lobbing clothes in a suitcase, all set for Mexico, screaming at his dog “WHAT’S THE FCUKING PIN NUMBER THEY’RE ON TO US”

• 30 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:11 PM

AC, 🙂 Do ye think he’s just got one of those faces, or does it go deeper than that? 🙂

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Aye, nice one leash. 🙂 Naw! Part time manager if ye ask me. Still, , his loss. What has he learned from that? 🙂

• 32 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM

I think the melted cheese face tw@t couldn’t lie straight in bed.

Biggest delboy going.

Nico kranjar springs to mind lol.

• 33 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:23 PM

*Krancjar (I think)

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Ha ha. Talksport just now re the dodgy dealings. York City are accused of accepting a meal at the green dragon whilst talking about a 17 yr old footballer. 🙂 Burn the blagards!

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Weren’t alardyce and redknap not implicated in the george graham bung case ages ago? Not enough evidence but pictures of brown paper bags stuffed with something green and crinkly – and we’re not talking lettuce either.

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Before the blog police arrest me, I do see the double negative with hindsight and can only apologise unreservedly and go on a govt course to highlight my crimes. Please forgive me.

previous post: The Captain Speaks Out About Last Night’s Game