The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – I Am Really Proud Of My Players

1:27 am, Thursday, September 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Rafa Benitez was interviewed after the game last night against Norwich, in which somehow Newcastle came back from 3-2 down to score two goals in the final 90 seconds of the six minutes of stoppage time to win the game 4-3.

There was pandemonium when Dwight Gayle, who scored a hat-trick  latched onto a long ball from Jonjo Shelvey with seconds to go in stoppage time and magnificently drove the ball past the goalkeeper to win the game.

dwight-gayle-scores-the-winner

Dwight Gayle scores the winner

The subs bench cleared and the players celebrated with the crowd – unbelievable.

This is what Rafa himself said about the ending:

“I was there. I was not jumping, but I was there in the middle. I am getting older.”

“I am the kind of manager who gets excited, but especially inside because I am really proud when I see the team reacting. I am really proud of them.”

“Some people will jump or run or whatever, but I am happy inside because I think it’s something that’s difficult to achieve when you have a group of players and you have to push, push in these circumstances.”

“And then it’s really important to see them working so hard and doing so well.”

“It’s important to show that the team is there, the team is together.” “The fans and the players, we have to find a way that if everything is fine, it will be easier.”

“But if something is wrong, still we have to stick together because it will be really important for us for the future.”

“Today as soon as we scored the goal, the fans were supporting the team and the players ran a little bit more.”

Next up is Rotherham United away and we must take all 3 points there on Saturday and then it will be a positive two week International break for Newcastle fans everywhere.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:34 AM

Yedlin is pure class. Him and Ritchie alone will win us games.

• 2 SA Toon // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:57 AM

What a game! I was following it on the Skysport newsfeed which was so frustrating, but it seemed like it was going to be another of those games where we miss a bucketful of chances and lose. I had just kicked the dog and was wondering how I was going to tell my son in the morning that we had suffered another noble loss when Gouffran did the unthinkable to snatch a point in the dying seconds. Somehow it’s almost more exciting when you see the “GOOOOOAAAALLL” suddenly appear on the newsfeed. I think it’s because there’s no buildup and all you can see is the time slipping away. And then seconds later it appear again!!!! Gayle you little beauty!!! I can only imagine what it must’ve been like at SJP last night. HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• 3 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:18 AM

Finally i get to the blog. What an incredible experience that was. What a night indeed. That truly was mental. Just mental. Should have been five up by half time, but missed some glorious chances, before finally getting a goal. Then somehow, in a game we’ve dominated, we find ourselves three one down with 20 minutes left. Where did that come from. Some nobs left at that point and you know what? Serves them right. Deserters in battle. The noise increases when minutes later Gayle – chance misser in chief to be fair – drills in a beauty after great control. 3-2 and bizarrely I knew what was coming. Six minutes injury time, four ticked by and then The Gouff nods it home. Queue flaming pandemonium. The cocky buggers on level seven silenced. Still celebrating that and bang! All is forgiven Gayle – sticks one in the corner from the edge of the box. The whole ground, even the dead people in the east stand, stand as one and hurl ‘who are ya? Who are ya?’ at the once gobby little flock of Canaries.
    And of course, daft lad here goes mental and knacks his back big style. Ffs. So I sit typing this after four o’clock because I can’t sleep because I am in agony. 🙂 So so serves me right. Wtf was I thinking? But then, I don’t care. It was wonderful and if I can’t walk for the next few days? A price well worth paying. God, it was like being a teenager all over again. You don’t get drugs that give you a buzz like that. Only football can and only Newcastle United. This is truly what I live for, games like this. All the pants that has gone before? Don’t care! I’m sat here propped up in bed, in total agony and i couldn’t give a toss. That, tonight it what it’s all about. 🙂

• 4 Toon fm Exeter // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:40 AM

Left for work 3-1 down thinking another £50 down the pan, arrive at work to find we win 4-3 and the betting account looking a bit more healthy. The roller coaster ride that is Newcastle is in full swing, time to go on another 6 game winning streak which should see us at the top come November.

• 5 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:41 AM

I’m finding it hard to sleep too Bobby.
    Not pain just sheer bloody exhilaration.
    Did the Canary dive for the pen?
    I think he did – and cleverly took Goofy with him.

• 6 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM

• 7 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:46 AM

Rafa still giving advice as the players troop off

• 8 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:48 AM

• 9 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:50 AM

Keep it safe Dwight

• 10 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM

totally agree on the penalty Jib, looked like he slowed up waited for contact and dived.

• 11 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 5:07 AM

Nice reading this morning

• 12 Owldman // Sep 29, 2016 at 5:52 AM

Just like Saturday we almost paid the price for throwing away too many chances, could well have been top now.

• 13 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:15 AM

On Youtube when their 3rd goal went in you could hear booing.

Scream abuse until the veins on yer neck stand out , at the defender you blame – by all means – but booing – nah – sorry that’s a sign of a plastic supporter.

I bet the same pr!cks who were booing were the doylums who missed the last 2 goals making sure they got a seat on the Metro !

• 14 Keith in France // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM

Bobbybee
    Loved your blog.
    A true supporter…..so passionate.
    Hope your back gets better soon.

• 15 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:32 AM

2016/17 Newcastle after 10 games 3rd place 19 points
    2015/16 Burnley after 10 games 3rd place 18 points

ToonGD +11
    Burnley +3

• 16 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:41 AM

Jib

Your comment about the booing and the boo boys’ll doubtless kick off the true fans arguments again.

But, those that left early for no good reason, have shown themselves for what they aren’t.

• 17 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:43 AM

Bobby

You’re not a bairn anymore but your exuberance was understandable. Hope your gyp eases soon.

• 18 cyprus // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Amazing! Only at NUFC, come on in.

Regret? Of course, that I can’t watch this kind of stuff. If anyone knows where I can locate the full blow for blow game, please let me know.

PS thanks for all the reports. Big conflict re Clark. In fact, full contradiction. Is the truth in the middle?

• 19 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 6:59 AM

Lesh
    Are you in Turkey on Saturday ?
    Cos I think I’ll have a tv link for the Rotherham game.

• 20 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:12 AM

Jib.

Thanks for the thought but no, I’m returning to the UK on Friday 🙁

As we’ve not lost a game in the time I’ve been away, it might be best if I stayed here!! Yes ok, I hear the cries of ‘well ••••••• stay there then!’

However, what a turnaround. Magnificent

• 21 hate // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Glorious victory! Is the voting even necessary? 🙂

• 22 firebug666 // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM

I’m loving the comeback really I am, but I just can’t help thinking why was it necessary?

We should have had the game won in the first 30 minutes. Once we got the goal we sat back, sideways and long ball punts allowed Norwich into the game, I’m not sure on the pen but that game them the lift they needed just on half time.

It was a great result for us, it showed we can come back from a losing position (and as BandB said last night, “we needed to know we could do that”), but we should not have been in that position in the first place, talk about making it hard for ourselves.

Anyway, I am proud that the team showed some metal and got the win.

Biggest downside was Diame, he was poor all game, a few times instead of playing the easy pass he tried to take players on and inevitably lost possession, on one such occasion it lead to the breaking and getting their third goal. Diame should be dropped.

• 23 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:39 AM

You can’t expect to win like that every week. Sorry but this is Newcastle Utd, top six English football club. The result poses more questions than it answers. Why were we 3-1 down, before a frankly most fortuitous comeback and victory. We can’t and shouldn’t be leaving these things to chance.

• 24 lochinvar // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Off topic but it’s amazing and predictable that the weak kneed FA have allowed Allardyce to walk away from his contract. Clearly he has broken the golden rule of “bringing the game into disrepute” while trying to negotiate a reported nice little earner of £400,000. So what do the FA do – give him a golden handshake of £1million !
    Close the FA down – they’re not fit for purpose and need investigating themselves ..over to you Daily Telegraph.

• 25 firebug666 // Sep 29, 2016 at 7:53 AM

lochinvar

I said the other day corruption in football is a way of life now marra, and the FA is no exception, bungs and backhanders amongst that scurvy are normal.

Fat Sam only got sacked because he got caught, if the dodgy deal had been for real blind eyes would have been turned for sure.

• 26 BandB // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Rafa is right.
    The team stuck together.
    Heads didn’t go down, no arms were waved or fingers pointed. I hope that phase in our history is over.
    Is it really that we “sat back” and let Norwich into it, or did a good opponent raise its game in a professional way? While we lost concentration either side of half time.
    I don’t see “same old same old”. I see lessons being learned the hard way in a pretty young squad that may lack a bit of professional nous, but is largely rid of professional cynicism.

• 27 Ron Knee // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:04 AM

firebug

He broke the eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not get caught!

Is it true about the golden handshake?

• 28 firebug666 // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM

Ron

I would suspect that the golden hand shake will be true, I mean they wouldn’t want him grassing them up now would they?

BandB

Yeah in my opinion, and from what I watched on a half decent FB stream, we went wave after wave of attacking to sideways passing and long ball hoofs. Im not sure on the pen, Gouffran leans in but it looks like the players has already lost control of the ball, he stretches for it and goes down taking the Gouff with him.

Once they got back into it the did pick up momentum, but imo we should have been dealing with that better and closing them down instead of standing off.

Still a lot to learn for these players, but after last night you would say they are now on their way.

Great fightback, great result and a lot to crow about.

• 29 clinath@ed // Sep 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM

My personal running points totals predictor was for 19 points by the end of September.
    Abetter month just gone made up for a poor return in August.
    But we are on target folks, played some big names in this league early on, got a good run coming up…so make the most of it lads,.
    I want 32 points, total, by the end of the month (and into the next round of the cup would be nice too)
    HWTL