The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rotherham Manager – Newcastle Are Everybody’s Favorite

10:30 pm, Thursday, September 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Former Everton player Alan Stubbs was appointed manager of Rotherham United in June after he had two seasons managing Hibernian north of the border.

And he is looking forward to managing against Rafa Benitez on Saturday afternoon and will have his Rotherham team ready for the test.

We cannot afford a let-down after our other famous win this season when we hammered QPR 6-0 at their place and then we were very poor as we lost the next game 2-0 at home to Wolves.

alan-stubbs-rotherham

Alan Stubbs – looking forward to the test

Alan played for Everton 171 times with 6 goals from 2001-2005 so he was playing on Merseyside during Rafa’s first season in charge of Liverpool when he won the Champions League final against Milan.

It was the dramatic game in Istanbul when they were 3-0 down at half-time, but came back to win it on penalties.

This is what Stubbs has said before the game against Newcastle on Saturday:

“It’s me pitting my wits against a Champions League winner.”

“There’s the Liverpool and Everton rivalry as well. I’ve come across Rafa on a few occasions and he’s a really nice guy; very humble, very intelligent.”

“You only have to listen to some of his ex-players talk to know that, tactically, he’s a fantastic manager. I’m hoping on Saturday he doesn’t get his tactics right and I get mine right.”

“It’s great. This is what it’s all about,”

“I don’t think anyone could have envisaged the likes of a Newcastle coming to New York Stadium this season, because everybody would have thought they’d be a Premier League club.”

“When a team’s spent over £50M on players just this season, I think that tells you what their aspirations are. They’ll be there or thereabouts.”

“I think they’re everybody’s favorites to go up this season. I can see why.”

Rafa Benitez will not want another let-down on Saturday and we started really well last night against Norwich, but missed maybe five great chances to score in that first half.

In one of these games those chances will be converted into goals and we’ll have another big win.

But if our players think it will be an easy game on Saturday at Rotherham it could be another shock defeat.

That’s the last thing we need before the two week International break.

We must go all out for the win and maybe make this a game we can fully control without too much drama?

That would be good.

Tags: Championship · Interview · Newcastle News · Press · Press Conference

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Ed, noooooo! Missed the bus again. How do I do it so many times?

• 2 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Blue, big nosed tw@t.

• 3 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Yup, you wouldn’t want to offer him your little bag would you? They’re carpet cleaners for sure. 🙂 only joking kids. Jokes about drugs isn’t big and it isn’t clever and I feel suitibly ashamed.

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Ditto bad spelling.

• 5 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Bobby

Looks like Ed surprised us all. He’s had a snooze and caught you when you weren’t looking.

Be alert I say. But in saying that, Essex’s is the lead bus missed…. but you’re getting better at it. Though, in fairness, I suppose your back’s still feeling the effects of your exertions last night.

The things fans fo for their clubs. You’re a martyr to the cause.

• 6 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM

The way things are going on the bung front, Carver’s sure to be in with a good chance of managing a Prem or at least a Championship club.

• 7 Munster Mag // Sep 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Still getting over last night. Cant see rafa moving off 4231 and playing mitro and gayle together, more’s the pity

• 8 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 11:30 PM

To quote ‘Brians mam’ ” he’s not a martyr, he’s a naught boy.” I can’t believe how stupid I was mate. I’m 59 ffs, I should know better. Paying for it now though. Hope it makes me a bit more aware next time, but you get caught up in the moment, make the wrong move and bingo. Got to go now anyway. Been quiet considering last night. Everybody recovering? 🙂

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Who thinks we’ll score more than the QPR 6 goals in a game this year?

• 10 Thump // Sep 30, 2016 at 1:06 AM

@Bobbybee: I know the feeling. I somehow managed to tear a tendon in my hand at some point during the celebrations, and the old fella next to me picked up his grandson with one hand and swung him into me and my mate to share in a group hug. Immediately afterwards he sat down and said: “Well that was a fscking mistake!”

• 11 cyprus // Sep 30, 2016 at 5:01 AM

Carver may be back sooner than expected. It’s been reported he’s one game away from being fired… He’s coaching the Liverpool of Cyprus- used to win everything, not anymore. Their biggest rivals-Apoel- have kicked on, won away in Europe last night, while they are stagnant.

Aaand, Carver won’t be attending his possibly last game. He’s been suspended for one game after unsportsmanlike behavior towards an opponent player… Rings a bell.

• 12 Lindisfarne // Sep 30, 2016 at 7:05 AM

cyprus

Y’gotta laugh

• 13 Mag52 // Sep 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Off the subject for a minute if you’ll allow me, has there ever been a more damaging tweet to the chances of a British team/player, than that tweeted by Danny Willetts’ brother the other day ?

previous post: Huddersfield Boss – Newcastle The Better Side – Deserved To Win

next post: Poll – Can Newcastle Make It Two Wins In A Row At Rotherham?