The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

There’s Only One Man Of The Match After Last Night

1:16 pm, Thursday, September 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

It was simply incredible.

How we managed to get 3 points out of nothing in the last couple of minutes with goals from Yoan Gouffran and Dwight GayleΒ is stuff of miracles.

But we did and the game was turned upside down.

After missing some chances in the first half it was Dwight Gayle – our number 9 – who scored a hat trick and he got the winner out of nothingΒ in the dying seconds of the game.

Dwight Gayle – Man of the Match after hat-trick

He’s our Man of the Match of course and he’s followed in the voting by Jonjo Shelvey who sprayed passes all over the place last night and is getting into his very best form for Newcastle.

But hey – all our players deserved praise – because this team just never gives up and heads never drop.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Dwight Gayle · Jonjo Shelvey · Man of the Match · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Poll

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:17 PM

13bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM

I agree with Bobby that those fans who left with 20 mins. to go are not proper fans and deserved to miss the amazing climax. The team needs support for 90 mins not 60 and those fickle fans should give their season tickets up to someone more worthy.

• 2 Lindisfarne // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Gayle Force Win

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:25 PM

I loved the fact how the lads heads didn’t go down at 3-1 and kept plugging away and not just punting balls forward like the previous regime. Shelveys pass to make it 3-2 was something else

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Betty, I don’t even know why it’s a discussion point. I think the world’s gone pc mad. It’s not something I haven’t said to their faces either. I was screaming expletives into the faces of those leaving the Arsenal game. πŸ™‚ See, I just don’t get that. It’s anathema to be. I can’t even begin to understand it. I actually take the fans responsibility to the team seriously. Maybe I’m old fashioned. ‘Black and white. These colours don’t run’ sort of attitude. It’s OUR club, not some rich things toy. It’s why I ignore Ashley – he simply doesn’t matter enough. Walking away isn’t even an option in my world. Now I understand I may be a bit ott in some peoples eyes, but not in mine. I just don’t get leaving 20 minutes early. ‘Just because we’re losing!’ I actually find it embarrassing if I’m honest. It feels like a stab in the back. Dunno if I’m making sense to anybody but I think I am. Yeah, embarrassing sums it up. It hurts my pride in my club. I would attack anybody over it even if I could, but I just don’t like being associated with fans like that. Sorry if that upsets anyone – I think. Maybe not actually. The tag the best supporters in the world has been hard earned by a lot of people over a long period of time and that detracts from it. That is my honest and humble view on it. Right or wrong, I don’t give one. I live in my world and in my world I offer myself complete and unreserved support in this position.:) I must add though, that’s just me and other people have different views. You can ignore me if you don’t agree and frankly, I’m not interested in why they do it either.

• 5 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Ha ha! For would attack please read wouldn’t attack! That is also embarrassing, but funny too. Ha ha, leave yoursen wide open daft lad! πŸ™‚

• 6 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM

betty @ 1,

I couldn’t agree with you more… at our club here, we leave when the players walk off the pitch and go to the locker room… supporting them til the end… win or lose…

• 7 estechco // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Thanks for the responses re: the ball leaving the ground.

Sounds as though everyone elses recollections are as sketchy as my own

• 8 swisstone // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I am in utter disbelief that Diame has 16 votes for MoM. He was atrocious.

Likewise can’t believe the stick Dummet gets. He did very little wrong last night, put in a couple of world class crosses, but the small mistakes he did make the fans were on his back straight away.

He has limited talent going forward, but he always gives his all.

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I remember squeezed in the Gallowgate and some would be having a pish where they stood. You had to be alert. And when you wanted to go to the bog it would take a few minutes to pick your way through the swaying crowd; close up, intimate and in the faces of boozy breathed blokes. I couldn’t be on with it now.

• 10 hibbit // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM

bobby not telling you what to do was asking you to let it go
    your quite happy to tell all when they can leave and when they can not double standards you operate under

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Hello Dok
    You okay? I gather you’ve got a little election going on over there.

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM

I didn’t see anyone leave after their third goal but some did go on 90 mins. It’s not worth leaving before the end because it’s night’s like last night that live in the memory. Drama at is best.

• 13 hibbit // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM

what a load of bollocks how can tell people when to leave and when not to leave
    what you going to do chain them to there seats

• 14 magscar // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM

As it seems to be a time for trips down memory lane although I was at some of the comebackgames at SJP one that always sticks in my mind was at Ayresome Park in early 1976 in Ist Div. I was in Boro end with a mate and my brother and with mins to go we were 3-1 down. Cue 2 goals in last minute with equaliser coming straight from KO after 2cnd had gone in and more remarkably both scored by our then fullbacks Kennedy and Nattrass – a great pairing.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I agree on Diame and Dummett.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM

After last light entertainment and us getting a the winner, had to get my shoulder sorted out this morning after dislocating it, was in so much pain but it was worth it, who’s says I’m not a supporter.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Strange that Diame is not performing well, he is a good player, needs a Benitez hug i think or after last night Mitrovic can do it.

Ha ha ha

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Blackers, so so right. I was a leazes lad – I was that age – and the behaviour sometimes went beyond the pale. πŸ™‚ By the time the hot piss warmed through your freezing feet, you didn’t know until it was too late and the culprit had snuck off. πŸ™‚ A fight could spring up at any moment – but pissing on people does have that effect sometimes. A huge hole would open up whilst they had at it, with mates around the side – and anyone else for that – sticking the boot in for fun. Oh, the joys of matchdays. Talking about embarrassing! πŸ™‚ It truly was a sign of troubled times and an angry youth. This is like chalk and cheese. No more piss. No more fights. What is there not to like? But the atmosphere was to die for. Everyone was physically connected anyway and I think that caused an effect on it’s own. All together like one living organism with the violent undercurrent and booze fuelled electricity running amok. You’ll never get that back. We’re far too civilised now. Nights like last night though are a pretty close second! πŸ™‚

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM

That result can get us on another unbeaten run.

• 20 Legolas // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM

One of my first memories of going to the match was with my dad. I was only 6/7 and he put me on one of those concrete pillar things that were dotted around. I think they were to stop a surge from the back. My backside used to get frozen and I used to Moan it was to cold. Lol.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Strange beat Qpr, Derby away, should have hammered villa and yet we lose to wolves at home, championship is just like the premiership, that’s why the two leagues are great to watch.

• 22 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Shelvey learnt all these long range passes over the top from studying one Mike Williamson I’ll have you know.

All jest aside, Shelvey is the perfect player to demonstrate the difference between aimless punts from deep and precise, flighty passes.

He, Ritchie, Gouffran and Gayle are the only players that don’t shrink in front of 50000 expectant Geordies, they thrive on the stage

Hopefully others will begin to feel at ease at home, after that what we hope is a watershed victory.

• 23 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Crikey, Ed’s paused his posts – he must’ve fallen asleep on the job as it were. πŸ™‚

Bobby, there won’t be a bus along for a while so you can post till your heart’s content.

How’s ya back bonny lad? Still givin ya gyp. Anyway, it gave you the reason to stay, not that you’ve had much choice by the sounds of it.

Now if the 70minute leavers’d hurt themselves, they might’ve enjoyed the finale. See, God’s good to theme he loves.

• 24 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Behave yourself Hibbett. Not asking for your approval anyway, just letting it be known how I feel on an emotive subject. That’s how I feel and I’m happy with it. You’re sounding like a New Labour or Liberal candidate. πŸ™‚ I’m 100% with betty on this. Haven’t said it yet but now I will. They ain’t proper fans, they’re expectant customers disatisfied with the quality on offer. Well whoopy do! Do one then if you must. Ask for your money back on the way out. That’s how I feel and at my age, that ain’t about to change anytime soon, is it? What bugs me is they might get a wembley ticket ahead of a real fan. Not me, i’ve got my points tucked away. πŸ™‚ So it’s not about me. Just any other fan who’s suffered the pain, not ran away from it. What ‘s your problem anyway? Am I not allowed to post my thoughts on a public forum because we don’t agree? I said it once in a report and you were immediately on it. So – and it was actually for you more than others – I made it clear I didn’t mean the beat the traffic brigade. Still not good enough. So I’ve honestly, warts and all, explained how I feel and why I feel that way. Do you seriously expect me to cut them some slack? They’re embarrassing ffs. Obviously you don’t feel that way. Fine. I do. My nature I suppose, can I help that? Talk about a storm in a teacup. πŸ™‚

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:15 PM

And that lesh, is what I said that started this. Serves em right. πŸ™‚

• 26 Mister Tuff // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Would hate to be at the ground and bursting to go to the loo in the second half – and run the risk of being wrongly confronted with abuse from a fellow fan as I make my way to the toilet.

better wear a sign I suppose “NOT LEAVING GOING TO THE BOG”

• 27 lesh // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Howay man, Shelvey’s been studying videos of Terry Hibbet feeding SuperMac, not Willo’s pinpoint passing.

Now Hibbet and Mac had a rapport eh.

• 28 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM

gmorning blackley,

I wouldn’t call it an election, id call it the choosing of the lesser of two evils…

• 29 BandB // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:17 PM

It would take a heart of stone not to laugh, like.

• 30 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

And that’s the risk we all run Mr T. πŸ™‚ it’s only a couple of minutes – wait till half time, it’s safer.

• 31 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:21 PM

These storms in teacups that you speak of always seem to gather when your on though bob.

Funny that….

• 32 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:33 PM

And? It literally is a nothing debate. I’ve said how I feel and why? Warts and all. I’m a passionate guy, not a crime is it? Having read how and why I feel, it’s a bit daft to carry it on. I’m not changing – let it go. Would you we were all clones who show no passion for something that breeds passion in people? Actually trying to avoid a row by stating my stance. Move along, nothing to see here.

• 33 Jib // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:21 PM

No they don’t

• 34 bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Hibbitt…… It’s not a question of chaining anyone to their seat, it’s a question of being prepared to support the club through thick and thin.

You’re obviously a customer as opposed to a real fan and prepared to take your bat and ball home if the “Product” on the pitch isn’t to your liking. You are entitled to get up and walk out as and when you see fit but might I suggest you would be better off in a corporate box eating prawn sandwiches at some stuck up southern club.

• 35 bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Bobby….. I hadn’t read your post at 24 before posting. Seems we are of the same mind regarding fair weather fans.

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Yep. That’s definitely one way to put it like. πŸ™‚ Let’s not get naughty after such a good night. If I’ve offended anybody with my passionate views you really need to grow a thicker skin. The world is full of different personalities of which we are all one. Differing views make for a healthy blog. Nobody in my house looking for a row ok? ‘Ere are larr, calm down calm down.’

• 37 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM

I can agree we all support our club in different ways. If your way is to walk out when we go 3-1 down, it stinks. Sort it out. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• 38 bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Mister Tuff…….. We have all been in the position of bursting for a p but somehow Managing to hold it in so as not to miss anything. I remember several occasions when the turtles heed has made an appearance only to be sucked back in so as not to disrupt the match.

• 39 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Jib, I’m often blunt myself. I get blunt. I like blunt. But beside you mate, I feel like a razors edge! πŸ™‚

• 40 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Be glad it ain’t a Hippo Heed matey! Not so easy to deal with! Lmao.

• 41 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Interesting about boozed up fans peeing down back of peoples legs.
    Went to a few old firm games/finals at Hamden before it was modernised.
    Fans used to take cans of beer to the ground police search d you on entering the ground but they were always able to smuggle a can or two in.
    Bogs in them days were as people said worse than useless so by half way through first half you would feel a warm wet glow down the back of your leg. Buggers used to drink the can get a coin pierce the top out – pee in it then when full tip it out down the back on anyone in front.

• 42 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Legolas, sorry mate, missed that post somehow. Exactly, and you remember it now it was yesterday and always will. You and your dad. Now, you and your son. What could be better? πŸ™‚

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Lovely eh Charlie. Oh yes, they were the days… I think. πŸ™‚ Didn’t catch that interview with the fan who left. I bet he’s ashamed of himself. He should be! πŸ™‚

• 44 Average_Contents // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM

That’s a compliment coming from the likes of you, jizz. Thanks.

Sorry I forgot about you.

• 45 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Not sure I see Southgate as a long term replacement. He has improved his skills, after a very poor start to his head coaching career so maybe I’m being harsh. Like the idea of Wenger once his contract runs out. He actually looked quite enlivened when it was discussed, so it might be a serious option. First choice. No buying players, just purely coaching. Got to be a winner.

• 46 wolfshead@toon // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM

i see the same arguments are still going from the last time i was on – 3 months ago lol great game last night they showed great character something not seen since erm cant remember

• 47 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Bobby bee
    Hope it is on BBC Radio Newcastle tonight or if it can be dug out.
    3 fans travelled up from Swindon.
    3-2 down looked like we were not going anywhere fast so decided to head to the car to travel back. Set off switched on radio to here 3rd and 4th goal go in.
    The guy was hacked off but in a funny way the way he told the story

• 48 Ron Knee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM

The radio interview is at 15:25 on this web page:-

• 49 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM

If you have adobe Flash drive you can go on the BBC Radio Five website where you can listen to the interview again

Newcastle fan ‘furious’ after leaving early
    A Newcastle fan says he is ‘furious’ after leaving early and missing the team’s late comeback against Norwich City.

Rafael Benitez’ side were a goal down to the Canaries as they entered stoppage time, but goals from Yoan Gouffran and Dwight Gayle meant they secured a dramatic 4-3 victory.

And Newcastle fan Ryan, who had traveled 6 hours from Swindon with his two friends to watch the match, couldn’t believe what he had missed after leaving early.

“We were well gone. It was a long drive back”, he told 5 live Sport’s Mark Chapman and Pat Nevin.

“I can’t describe how we’re feeling right now. You can’t write it, it’s just Newcastle all over. I’m furious what they’re doing to me.”

This clip is from 5 live Sport on Wednesday 28th September 2016.

Release date: 28 September 2016
    3 minutes

• 50 firebug666 // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM

Here’s a link to that radio interview with the Swindon lad who left early.

• 51 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:15 PM

You see my point Charlie. All the way from Swindon and leave early? Noooooo! πŸ˜‰ At least they didn’t leave because they were losing. They were probably glad they did. When the corpses in the east stand scream ‘who are ya?’ it’s got to hurt. πŸ™‚ what a racket last night eh mate? What a night. πŸ™‚ still buzzing.

• 52 Bobbybee // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Oh, toon fans. Why would you even think about it. Hope it changes their ways going forward.

• 53 bettyswallocks // Sep 29, 2016 at 3:19 PM

MR. Tuff……… A few minutes holding it in wont hurt you.–/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NDY1O3E9OTU7dz02MDA-/

• 54 U.S Magpie // Sep 29, 2016 at 4:48 PM

So not many games being shown in the States at the moment for Newcastle, so I am back to old school listening to the game on the radio via the internet. So yes watching live is better I think as I don’t think my I-Phone can handle being thrown across the room if we would have lost.
    But thank Jackie M we won and the phone is intact. I did watch the highlights and honestly Newcastle could have been three up easy. Good to see we didn’t roll over and had a fighting spirit to the end but we are still leaking goals and that’s not good.

previous post: Newcastle 4 Norwich 3 – Full Video Highlights