The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa’s Comments – You’ll Remember Wednesday All Your Life

1:25 pm, Friday, September 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Rafa Benitez has finished his press conference this afternoon and he has said that Rotherham are not as bad a team as the table would suggest – they are currently in bottom place.

Rafa has said they have made some tactical adjustments today after Wednesday’s game.

rafa benitez press confernce

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez

These are the initial comments from Rafa:

“Vurnon Anita is back from suspension and everyone who was available on Wednesday is available again.”

“We have to ensure the players are prepared for Saturday. We have done some tactical adjustments today.”

“The players didn’t give up. For our fans to know the players have the belief, working until the end, that is important for the future.”

“Wednesday night was like a final. It was massive and I’m really proud. These nights you will remember all your life.”

“It wasn’t a crucial game, but it was important for the confidence of the team and for what we want to do this season.”

“Analysing the games, they aren’t as bad as the table says. They have good players up front and are well organised.”

“We have to be prepared right mentally. We have the experience of losing after QPR so we need the players to keep their concentration.”

How Will Newcastle Fare At Rotherham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Sep 30, 2016 at 1:42 PM

My confirmed Rafa bingo line up

Yedlin Lascelles Mbemba Lazar
    atsu Shelvy Hayden Gouffran
    Mitro Gayle

• 2 Toon_Tom // Sep 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Lazaar
    Shelvey Diame
    Ritchie Gouffran

• 3 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 30, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Rotherham’s home record isn’t that bad: w1,d3,l1
    to give some perspective:

• 4 bettyswallocks // Sep 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Howay Europe lets get these sceptics beat.

• 5 BandB // Sep 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Does Ed get points if his team is right?

Encouraging to see the winbar in “Tears at Bedtime” and blog meltdown territory.

Memo to squad….”90 per cent on the Ed’s Blog winbar does NOT mean you’ve already won. I know that may be news to you. So please try this weekend.”

• 6 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM

what happened there?
    Fulham: w1,d2,l2
    Bristol city: w3,d1,l1
    derby co: w0, d2, l3
    qpr: w1, d2, l2
    aston villa: w1, d4, l0

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 30, 2016 at 2:53 PM

He’s dead right though. I remember Wednesday like it was just the other day. I always did like the old days best though.

Bandb – careful with that winbar besmirching thing. It is the vital prediction tool of the informed blogster. Have to confess I always vote for a draw. Even in the cup.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 30, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Yes Ed gets five points. Aren’t you having a go?

• 9 Ron Knee // Sep 30, 2016 at 3:29 PM

My confirmed losing lineup for tomorrow’s banana skin:-

Yedlin, Clark, Lascelles, Dummett
    Shelvey, Hayden
    Ritchie, Perez, Gouffran

• 10 lesh // Sep 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Wednesday was just the other day.

• 11 BandB // Sep 30, 2016 at 3:43 PM

I’ve been having a go since it started, Jail.

• 12 Jib // Sep 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Lot of folk wasting their bingo entry picking Darlow – he was average at best against Norwich.
    Sels will be back in.

• 13 WWSBRD // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Average is better than below it

Wheres ur line up then?

• 14 MadisonToon // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Jib –

I hadn’t hear that take on Darlow’s performance from Wednesday, it sounded like the things that got past him weren’t his fault. What did he do that was below average?

It seems like Sels and Darlow are probably at the same level so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sels in, but Darlow in wouldn’t be unexpected either.

• 15 MadisonToon // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:33 PM

hadn’t heard*

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM

He didnt hear anything different to u mate he just likes to get up peoples noses

• 17 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Why is everyone putting Lazaar in there team? Not having a go I would just like to know. Is Dummett injured or is everyone sick of him? Haven’t been on for a while.

• 18 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Rafa bingo time

I got 9 out of 11 last time. I reckon rafa will see this side as settled & won’t make to many changes. But since anita is back, I think rafa prefers him.

I can see colback dropped, cause he always seems to give him 1 game at a time.

Gayle I reckon will keep his spot cause he’s in dangerous form.

Diame should be dropped, although I feel we need a strong man next to gayle, diame needs to be benched to build his appetite. but I reckon rafa will go with perez.

Anita lascelle clark dummy
    Shelvey hayden
    Ritchie perez gouffy

• 19 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Young magpie

I reckon most are dying to see Lazar over dummy, just cause there sick of the sight of dummy on left back.

• 20 MadisonToon // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:54 PM

I think it’s the chance to try out the new players against a weaker side – see if the new boys have what it takes. Some people aren’t convinced of Dummett’s quality and don’t like his lack of ability going forward, but at least for my bingo lineup, I just want to see the new blood.

• 21 Tsunki // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM

From –

“Newcastle are the highest scorers in the Championship so far with 21 goals from 10 games, while Rotherham have the leakiest defence, conceding 24 to date.”

By rights ha ha…..

• 22 MadisonToon // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Maybe not, but I was interested to hear this different perspective about how he was not up to snuff. Generally interested in hearing why he should not start this game as it seems to be a minority opinion.

• 23 Jib // Sep 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM

I’m watching the Ryder cup so just dipping in now and then.

I’m not trying to get up peoples noses – however Steve Harper (who knows more about golkeeping than me and WWSBDR put together ) commentating on 5live said that while acknowledging the quality of Jerome’s shot – thought Darlow encouraged him to try with his bad positioning.

• 24 WWSBRD // Sep 30, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Fair enough mate, good luck with Jibberoo then

previous post: Is This The Team Rafa Will Start At Rotherham Tomorrow?

next post: Newcastle Star – It’s A Big Game – We Are Ready