The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez – Why I Enjoy Managing Newcastle

9:55 pm, Saturday, October 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Rafa Benitez has his very own philosophy on football and it cannot be too bad when you look at his terrific resume – it seems he is happy working at a big club like Newcastle.

Rafa is very competitive but he is polite, cool, calm and collected and seems to love to be challenged in coaching.

He is obviously loving life in the Championship though it is by no means easy for us and it seems like every single club – like Rotherham United today – can give Newcastle a game.

rafa-benitez-smiling

Rafa Benitez – enjoys managing big club like Newcastle

However we have still done quite well to average 2 points a game in the first 11 games and we;’ve come to another two week International break so we can catch our breath a bit.

This is what Rafa said after the game as he talks about how he likes managing Newcastle United:

“For me, football is 11 versus 11.” “I am happy trying to manage a club that is so big. You just enjoy doing your job.”

“When you have an international break you can do nothing apart from work with the players who are still here.”

“You have to work hard and keep the physical condition. You can adjust tactically if you can.”

“For the others, you can just keep your fingers crossed and wait to see if they have any injuries.”

We would be happy, make that very happy, make that ecstatic – if Benitez would sign a long term contract to stay at Newcastle for many years to come.

Of course he hasn’t done anything substantial yet at the club – but if he can get the club promoted in May we are back in the big time and with Rafa in the lead on Tyneside we will be on the up.

In 13 games so far this season in all competitions – we have won 9 lost 3 and drew just one, so that’s a win percentage of 69% – we are getting there.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Rotherham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Man of the Match · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 BandB // Oct 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Where are the “proper fans” tonight?
    No bragging rights to be had?
    No special perches from which the discerning eye can report the gist of the action for the luckless minority?

• 2 BandB // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM

I’ve just checked in with one of my season ticket-holding acquaintances.
    Apparently he’s been shopping all day, and round to Maureen’s mum’s for a visit.
    He never thinks about the Toon while “they” are away. It’s not his Toon weekend.
    Next weekend though but, “Well I’m a Toonion Man, Amazed at what I am”.

• 3 Mister Tuff // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Jib Jibberish (blog pest and purveyor of duff info).

Jib think I might have found a new sport for you to comment on – you clearly need to change your game as you know nowt about Association Football.

Cannot tell you if there is a blog/forum but I’m sure that you Google search skills will turn something up.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM

you = your

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Stuck record.

• 6 Toon Tang // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Van der hoorn, oh my jeebus on high

• 7 welshgeordie9 // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM

What about him.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Oct 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Welsh Dragon Nathan Cleverly the new light-heavyweight champion.

• 9 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Clark keeping out Mbemba is understandable. As is Anita back in for Yedlin I suppose. But for the life of me I can’t understand Rafa’s perseverance with Dummett at LB, and Gayle up top on his own, and Diame in the hole. Gouffran essentially plays on the inside of his marker leaving acres of space for a fullback to overlap on the outside and get behind defences. Gayle runs around admirably and scores goals, but without Mitrovic up top we lack an outlet and someone to attack crosses. Diame appears a box to box midfielder playing out of position. I understand we are winning, and that Rafa is top notch and knows what he’s doing, but beyond that I’m struggling to understand exactly why we are setting up this way, and nicking wins.

• 10 firebug666 // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Lesh from earlier:

I can only take this multitasking thing so far, I had company turn up so in the interests of a quiet life I come off the computer. I consider it a health and safety issue. 😀

Welshie

I hope your dad is OK marra.

BandB

I really don’t understand the “real fan” tag myself. I would have thought any fan of any team is a real fan. The ground can only hold 52,000 and we have fans all over the world. I’m not a fanatical fan, but I am a passionate one, I wonder how the “real fans” will class me?

Anyway seems everyone is off to kip, might as well turn in myself.

• 11 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Full match replay. Incorrectly titled, but is The Lads at Rotherham

• 12 SPRINGY // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:19 PM

jimmy
    playing devils advocate here,but think dummet is in as he’s quick,defensively minded which we’ve all read rafa prefers,and i believe lazaar is a little light weight and not used to the pace of the game in this country as of yet,diame does when i’ve watched him,break things up further up field occasionly by applying pressure,chasing defenders and midfielders down and he does seem to pinch/cut out a fair few passes…diame still does’nt look match sharp to me,speed of thought,weight of pass always looks a little laboured…maybe thats why rafa is playing him to get him up to speed quicker…..mitro needs to work harder for longer for me…i dont hate the lad,i actually think he has talent but his work rate isnt great…..aston villa was a great example(if i have the right game),he came on as sub we were struggling at the time,i was expecting a blood and thunder 20 mins out of him,and he jogged about and looked more knackered then those who had played the full game….all the strikers need to work on there finishing so cant really have ago at mitro for that by himself.

• 13 Average_Contents // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:37 PM

A win percentage of 69% clearly isn’t good enough for some.

I could understand it if we were languishing around mid table and out of the EFL cup with our usual 30-40% win rate helped along by second rate chances but fcuk me, we’ve got rafa in charge and so far he’s doing the business imo.

Yeah, sometimes it’s not pretty and rotation for rotations sake is slightly annoying (sometimes) as continuity also breeds results if the teams winning but it’s working isn’t it.

It could be a hell of a lot worse.

We could’ve continued sinking like villa.

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• 14 Average_Contents // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:41 PM

You’ve got some connections you girl 🙂

How’s tricks?

• 15 SPRINGY // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:46 PM

average
    very true,i think the rotation is working at the minute,more in team bonding then blistering performances…this may change as the season goes on and the team continue to gel better,our goal average could be a big issue later in the season so not shipping goals early in the season will probably pay off in the long run…even if its not to pretty to watch at times.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:49 PM

We’re not MOSSAD here, why do people feel the need to play Devils advocate.
    ?

• 17 SPRINGY // Oct 1, 2016 at 11:56 PM

jail
    probably the wrong term to use!lol… but just wanted to throw a different point of view in without looking like im defending the players mentioned,they do have strengths and weaknesses and at times id like to see certain players dropped or played….thats football though!lol

• 18 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 2, 2016 at 12:28 AM

Yeah the players mentioned do have strengths, and we are winning, but don’t you get the sense we’d win more convincingly if we set up a little differently and with two or three changes to the starting 11. With the players we have at our disposal, doesn’t it seem a little counter intuitive to play the way we do. Gayle surely can be as effective as Diame in the hole and off the shoulder of a big man. He never stops running and scores goals. Lazaar is a Serie A attacking left back and Mitro was very good against QPR, getting a goal and an assist in a good old fashioned rollicking, and the two knockdowns that led to the late equaliser and winner against Norwich. I’d just like to know the gaffer’s reasoning is all, when we are nicking games you’d think we could probably win more comfortably. Away from home might be part of it, loyalty, players not quite up too speed yet, rotation. But you get the feeling just maybe that this is how Rafa plays, and he’s reluctant to alter it. Which I suppose might be reason enough.

• 19 Bobbybee // Oct 2, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Then again, it might be that some of us also have lives and come on here when it suits us, rather than when it suits people who only come on to bitch about others. Had better things to do all day, like visiting friends and having a good time. I’d suggest you try it, but the friends bit might be a sticking point. The enjoying thing might prove problematic come to think of it. A lot of people enjoyed my pre match report, I don’t need your approval for anything. You really are a bit odd you know? Bitter and twisted. Anyway, talking of better things to do, I’ve got loads. Have a good bitch, but I doubt I’ll see it. So funny. 🙂

previous post: Newcastle Fans React on Twitter – It Wasn’t Pretty – But We Won