The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Captain – This Is Something We Didn’t Have Last Season

3:18 pm, Sunday, October 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

In the last couple of games – the fantastic fight back on Wednesday against Norwich and yesterday’s tough 1-0 win at Rotherham – the Newcastle players have shown fight, courage and determination and that’s one reason we have taken 6 points from those two vital games.

One of our players who has plenty of character and fight is our captain Jamaal Lascelles, who has been picked out by Rafa to captain the side, even though he’s only 22.

Jamaal Lascelles – we have heart fight and desire

This is what Jamaal has said about our win yesterday to Football on Five:

“It’s massive,” “It just goes to show what the boys have got. It’s not just quality and talent that we’ve got; it’s heart and fight and desire.”

“I think we lacked a little bit of it last season but the players that Rafa has brought in and the way some of the boys have turned it around this season, it’s excellent.”

“If we play with that quality and determination, on the day we can beat anyone.”

“Playing in the Championship, momentum is massive,” “We’ve had an international break before and we came back and beat Derby and QPR so I don’t see why a little break won’t help.”

“A few of the lads are carrying a few knocks here and there so I don’t think it’ll harm us in that way.”

“We don’t want to get too carried away. Obviously it would be great to get promotion but we have just got to stay focused on the next game and take it step by step.”

“We’re not really looking at the long run in that sense. We’re just taking the games as they come.”

Newcastle have averaged 2 points a game in the first 11 games, which will give us 92 points if we can keep it up – but we think Rafa will want to do better than that.

Here’s the league placing.

5Sheffield Wednesday14124
6Bristol City14623

Rafa keeps talking about the team having to get better and better as they learn something from every single game.

We now have the International break and next up are Brentford on Saturday, 15th October at St. James’ Park.

Winning that game will be the next test for this new Newcastle United team put together by Rafa Benitez.

Howay The Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Rotherham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Interview · Newcastle News · Poll · Press

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Bloggers beware. Blog carefully and with respect to others as Mr. Tuff is in mood to tolerate disrespectful behaviour.

• 2 Krul To Be Kind // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Repost from previous:

Delighted to get 6 points out of 6 in recent games. I listened to the Norwich game right to the death, I had a gut feeling we were getting something out of this game at 3 -1 down but all 3 points was a bit optimistic even for me may I add!

I just read through all the posts on this article and I must say Mr Tuff is one of the petites bloggers I have came across… All he has done is abuse Welshie, Bobby and jib without provocation and by all accounts hasn’t talked anything football yet! I wold take a stab in the dark and say he has issues from childhood, possibly as he may have been abandoned by adults due to his new b called for truculent character!

Jib, Bobby and Welshie – keep up the great blogging… keep it Toon! HWTL

• 3 NUFCPaul // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Jail – ‘Benitez is clearly out of his depth at this level and it shows how poorly the club is run when they opt for a manager just to put bums on seats instead of getting a manager who knows what he’s doing.’ And you would have hired Neil Warnock instead? Are you on drugs or something? We’re third top. Great goal difference. Yes, we had a really bad start, but that was with a vastly changed squad who needed to gel and learn the new manager’s style.

Sure, Warnock gets teams promoted, but what then? Benitez can attract good players to a lower league and still get us promoted. And once we’re in the top league he can attract even better players and really take us to another level. I can’t tell if you’re just trolling or if that really is your opinion. Seems like you’re just trying to stir things up a bit with a nonsense post. I could understand people having a problem with Rafa if we were in Villa’s position, but we’re not. We’re not going to tonk teams each and every week. To think that way is naive.

• 4 Ron Knee // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Jail was being ironic!

• 5 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM

This was intended to be a small message. Sometimes you get carried away.

I see people unhappy about yesterday’s performance. But had we lost or drawn that game, we’d be more fustration than a middle aged man not gettin laid.

Winning games when you play poorly is the mark of champions. I would take 1-0 every game for rest of the season. & so would jose mourinho.

This is the championship, it’s a very tough league, I don’t want to hear any of this crap that we should be walking this league. If you haven’t realised this by now slap yourself on the face. Because you need a reality check.

The biggest problem I see is we’re missing alot of chances & should have games tied up alot earlier. But It’s a better situation than a leaky defence, & conceding to many like we have been doing for about 5 years.

We’re in 3rd place, there’s loads of games to go, & come the last 10 – 15 games, the rest of the teams will really tire, while we have have a big enough squad, & will rotate.

Every win, including yesterday’s game is a massive step towards the premiership where we belong. I don’t plan on bein in the championship for long, so time bein, as long as we’re winning, I don’t give a dahm how ugly. Rafa is doing a very good job & deserves credit.

• 6 bettyswallocks // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Should have read Mr. Tuff is in no mood. He is in fact so determined to rid the blog of all it’s miscreants, he has recruited an assistant to help him in his quest.

• 7 NUFCPaul // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Krul To Be Kind – you think Jib is totally innocent of provocation? I don’t know enough about Tuff, Welshie or Bobby to comment, but I can tell you for a fact that Jib is a sly little stirrer. Great blogging? What a joke.

• 8 Ian Toon // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Betty- From a blog perspective, Mr Tuff has always been the problem and not the solution.

• 9 NUFCPaul // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Ron Knee – if that’s the case, I apologise to Jail. I thought it seemed out of character. I hadn’t seen any of the posts leading up to it, although it looked to be such utter nonsense I should have guessed it wasn’t serious.

• 10 bettyswallocks // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Ian…….. That may or may not be the case. My point is that it would be wise not to incur his wrath as he is very adept at wielding that cane of his.

• 11 Average_Contents // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Krul to be kind

Are you doing a jail?

Got to be.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Krul to be kind,
    welshgeordie09 great blogging??? Are you sure, I honestly can’t recall one single noteworthy post the imbecile has ever made, I put it down to him being in year ten until I realised he was in his mid thirties.

On my posts in the earlier thread, I tried to make them sound as ridiculous as I could and succeeded, yet people are posting similar stuff and actually believing it.

• 13 Average_Contents // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM

That’s rich coming from the worm with about 10 different accounts who’s aim is to cause disharmony and back up it’s main.

• 14 Ian Toon // Oct 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Betty- Shame BandB can’t spare the time from ‘babysitting’ Jail to do some custodial work on Mr Tuff.

• 15 Ian Toon // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Average- . There are times when I might regret donating to your charity. Particularly as I didn’t get an acknowledgement.
    But this isn’t one of them.

• 16 sing in the corner // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Must admit I was surprised at how Rotherham performed yesterday. I had got a bit sucked into the mistake of underestimating the task we had, did actually think we would beat them comfortably. In the end we had to dig in and repel a good old English onslaught of balls into the box and an increasingly physical battle.
    But 3 lovely points, GET IN.
    That’s why Rafa is where he is, and when it comes to making objective decisions concerning my beloved NUFC, I simply end up looking like I couldn’t find my arse with 2 hands and a map. 🙂
    Onward Rafa’s black n white army!

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Ian Toon,
    You haven’t posted in a while, neither had Pat on the heed, the mystery blogger with an intimate blog history and a similar creepy patronising writing style as you carl and etc.

• 18 Mister Tuff // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Hahahaha – some good laughs on here.
    Krul to be Kind – where are your interjections and comments about the filthy abuse on here – racism, xenophobia gutter talk.
    Ah don’t tell me – your were looking the other way.
    Great blogging from those nuggets – hahahaha – best laugh I’ve had all day.

Where are your comments about fans being submitted to filthy abuse that has recently been revealed – ah don’t tell me -you were away shopping with the missus. Aye convenient.

Where was your criticism of non footballing comments the other day when the talk was about hemorrhoids on “Superfans” arse.

Another wassock.

Another clot.
    Ian Toon – that’s all we need for you to appear to make it a happy Sunday.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Like I said yesterday this was like a cup final for them and the attendance proved that. It’s something we’re going to have to get used to and overcome. Villa clearly can’t deal with it.

• 20 sing in the corner // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:19 PM

I don’t think we look as if we think we’re above this division, no arrogance, no sign of the players feeling sorry for themselves. Rafa has them rolling their sleeves up and getting on with it now. And any sign of complacency seems as if it gets jumped on by the gaffer.
    Good to see, and what’s needed to be successful in this environment.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Jail my dear friend I’ve probably put more decent football comments on here than you, and you probably started on here way before me, all you do is frigging moan, grow up and give it a rest.

• 22 Jib // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Last season 2 wins away from home.
    This season 4 wins away from home already !

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:29 PM

welshy me auld mucker, I don’t think I’ve moaned once since Rafa took over. You constantly posted about bringing Pardew back despite his fifteen match winless streak. Did you honestly believe that?

• 24 Budge123 // Oct 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Jib – it’s amazing what playing in a sh*te league will do for results

previous post: More Video Highlights – Rotherham 0 Newcastle 1