These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players At Rotherham

Christian Atsu had a starting debut to remember for Newcastle against Rotherham and he had his manager Rafa Benitez praise him after the game.

The 24 year-old scored one terrific goal that won the game for us and then in the second half he did everything right with another tough chance but goalkeeper Lee Camp produced a wonderful save to prevent a second Newcastle goal.

Newcastle fans were delighted with the performance of the Ghanaian International and they are quickly taking to the loan signing from Chelsea.

If Christian keeps playing like this for us then we are sure Rafa will want to make his move to Newcastle a permanent one – maybe as soon as possible.

christian-atsu-rotherham-987

Christian Atsu in action yesterday – excellent performance

The 24 year-old has both speed and skill and he has shown up well in the 5 appearances he has made so far for Newcastle with one goal.

Christian is deservedly our Man of  the Match with 49% of the vote.

Second in the voting on 13% is Jonjo Shelvey who had another good game and is slowly but surely becoming a more consistent performer for this new Newcastle side.

Rafa has shown confidence in him in starting a long run of games for the Magpies – so that’s good work by Jonjo.

And third in the voting is Ciaran Clark on 12% with another fine defensive display for the third game in a row and he is putting in a strong claim to start in central defense regularly for Newcastle United.

For £5M Ciaran is starting to look a bargain buy for Newcastle.

An excellent win for us under difficult conditions and a team who seemed to be inspired in Rotherham United.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Rotherham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM

He certainly looks a good signing for the position we’re in at the moment. His goal yesterday was top class.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Yes Jib, great stuff and those two wins came under the great manager you backed all the way to take us to the giddy heights of eighth.

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Jail
    Somebody looking over my shoulder just said about your post :-
    “That’s not a grown man is it – that’s just the sort of thing a nasty little 14 year old schoolgirl would say”

Reading back I see where she’s coming from !

Ha ha ha

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Ian

How was I to know you donated. Others left their blog name on their donations.

If you did, thanks. Bit late though don’t you think telling me now?

I get it, don’t worry.

Deflecting as usual.

• stu mel

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:55 PM

I read this blog, a bit but I’m not going saynames but please stop attacking each other some people avoid this blog because they get board of reading peoples comments to one another. People don’t come to read someone witty r not so witty digs, their here for football.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM

stu Mel,
    Your right!

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Laurent Robert 32
    He’s not a signing yet
    🙁
    There is however a seasons end option to buy.
    🙂

• Ian Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Average- Don’t be daft. I don’t give to various charities to have it recognised. I just ask you to be respectful as you have no reason whatsoever to be otherwise. You of all people recognise your limitations so please stop the abuse.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Jib, loan signing with, from I’ve read, view to permanent, yes.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM

I must say I do not like people hovering over me when I am using the computer – bit rude to say the least.
    Jib you have my sympathies in this regard.
    Who was it- was it a professor who appeared from her study whilst you were preparing your lectures?
    Or the depot manager at the sorting office.
    Or indeed was it Jane who had just returned to your hovel in Pennywell from the Off Licence with additional supplies of cheap cider.

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Mr Tuff
    It was the ghost of Lena Zavaroni flicking through your back copies of Sunderland programmes

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:17 PM

There’s only one thing worse than a mackem.
    That’s a mackem who decides to be a glory hunting NUFC fan
    😀

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM

I am sorry but Shelvey did bot have a good game yeaterday. His passing was awful most of the times or backwards. 2nd in the man of the match poll should have been either Clark or Lascelles who both played brilliantly to keep the clean sheet.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM

*not

• Belfast

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM

It was probably a pick pocket – check yer pockets.

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Why mention it then you tit?

You’ve clearly got a problem with me not “recognising” you’re contribution (said many times as it happened thanks to all who donated) unless you actually put “iantoon” how could I thank you personally? Duh!

Other’s, because there were that many and from different sources, ie, schools, work, pubs and clubs and obviously this blog decided to either say ed’s blog or their screen name they use on the blog.

I thanked everyone from the blog multiple times even one anonymous blog user and I remember doing it so please don’t talk crap you worm.

Who’s going to pop up next in your defence I wonder?

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM

As I said, deflecting. As per.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Had a little look at the Mackems fixture list they could end October without a win as well!! Stoke away which is huge for them!

• WWSBRD

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:33 PM

JP
    I voted Shelvey so each to their own

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM

JP
    We differ on that one.

The number of times Shelvey played teasing balls to the right just in front of Atsu to run onto and do his stuff was unreal , plus his contibution to the defensive stuff that had to be done.

Midfielders away from home sometimes do have to pass the ball backwards you know.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM

LCPB,
    They were just one point away from the worst ever start to a PL season.
    FACT,
    Two of the three worst ever PL teams like ever, are the mackems 😮

• Ian Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:40 PM

JP- Clark has exceeded my expectations based upon Euro performances. He’s been excellent since coming into the side.
    Have to disagree on Shelvey – his first touch can be poor but once into his stride he’s our most creative player and was yesterday.

Laurent- Atsu is on his fifth loan signing in three years. We have a contracted one season loan signing with a buy option at season end. I am unaware whether previous loan clubs had this option.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM

I listened to the match on spreaker.com, it sounded like we played well. Saying that, the way it sounded I was nearly jumping for joy when the Gouf hit the post. ” Oh bay Jeysus dat was so clowse boi Gouffran der”

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Shelvey was the classic example of a mature pro encouraging a relative novice to give of his best. Rafa must have been delighted with JonJo.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Ian Toon,
    Stars in their eyes and who are you tonight?

• Ian Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Average- Simply because I won’t you to reflect upon what I have told you. Just think for yourself and discount all the garbage you’ve been fed – you’re not beyond salvation and the development of your own personality. Or are you?

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:48 PM

By gum at 34 Petr Cech is still a class act !

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM

With reference to this option to buy clause at end of season, Is a figure already agreed?
    If Atsu scores goals like that every time he starts, he could end up costing quite a few quids!

• Ian Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Jail I can remember the time when the blog was full of team selections and you used to say it was kids all on half term. Beattie who was a quality football knowledge blogger would have accused you of dumbing down the blog. I view it as you trying to maintain your limited football market share.
    You don’t need to be so defensive with me. Try listening to BandB she gives good advice but you profess not to follow what she’s saying. Maybe that’s the real problem a lack of retention or just accepting what you want to hear. The bills in the post- sunshine Buster!

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:54 PM

UT
    I think a figure is usually written into the option to buy on a loan contract.

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Christian astu is that like bit of magic that wee need to get us a goal, or turn a game. Hope we get him signed up after his loan deal expires.

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM

In a way I feel sorry for David Moyes .

If Ellis Short had given him carte blanche the way Ashley apparently has done with Benitez , he could probably sort Sunlun out.

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Jib
    Just read his Wiki page thing and he cost Chelsea £3.5 million. As he hasn’t featured for them and always been out on loan, you would assume the figure can’t be any more than that.
    Interestingly he hardly played for Everton and didn’t play at all for Bournemouth in the League.
    Hoping he’s one of those players that need a season in a lower league to really kick on at the top table. Likewise I’m thinking we have a few players that the championship can improve and help them step up.

• Ian Toon

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Belfast – Was that the pocket you were talking about!

• Mister Tuff

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Please excuse my references to items of vulgarity on here, generally I do not think they are called for – and perhaps other items of grammar would be more appropriate and certainly what a gentleman like myself would use.
    I refer of course to a description of Ian Toon who was referred to by Average as being like a part of a ladies anatomy – indeed her bosom – or as you common fellows and workmen would say a tit.

Indeed I have heard you fellows talking about this when I’ve had works done at my stable yard and declare it must be the humour of common fellows.
    But I have heard them exclaim that certain parties should not be called a tit as a tit is useful. I would certainly concur.

• Jib

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:27 PM

UT
    I think he may have come on Ian Cathro’s recommendation – he played quite a few game for Rio Aves in Portugal when Cathro was Nuno’s assistant manager there.

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I do think for myself. Thanks for the concern though.

I’ve seen it with my own eyes what a complete and utter spunktrumpet you are.

I’ve lost count the amount of times you’ve been rumbled. If it wasn’t so funny it’d be quite tragic.

The only garbage is from you and your’s, worm.

Keep wriggling.

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Aye tuff, tits ARE useful.

Ian’s clearly still attached to his maaaaa’s.

• Legolas

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM

JP,

I can only go off what was said on the radio and they said Shelvey was what made us tick the. I know the radio doesn’t give the full picture and can differ from watching live on TV which can also differ from being at the game but I thought he was the difference.

Lascelles and Clark both played well but it’s all about opinions.

• Average_Contents

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Was Cathro at Rio when Atsu was there.

Think you best check again jizz.