The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – This Player Is So Positive – A Good Character

2:29 pm, Monday, October 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

Last summer when Steve McClaren had just come in as the new manager he was going to send goalkeeper Rob Elliot out on loan, but Rob was so enthusiastic in training and so positive that he decided to keep him at Newcastle.

Then last October when Tim Krul was seriously injured playing for the Netherlands and second choice Karl Darlow was also out injured at the time, Rob got another chance in the first team and the rest is history and he was our Player of the Season.

Rob himself was injured last March with a serious ACL injury, and he is now recovering and the good news today is that he’s close to a return.

rob elliot ireland

Rob Elliot in Ireland this summer

Rob’s training now although not with the first team squad and the Chronicle say he may be ready by the end of the month – but it may take a little longer although we hope not.

Certainly his ACL must not have been severe as Tim Krul’s injury sicn eTim’s been out almost a year now.

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has talked about Rob in the Chronicle today and he is well aware that Rob is now one of the leaders at the club:

“He is getting better. We knew by the end of last month he would be on the pitch a little bit.”

“It’s part of the process and he is doing well.” “He is very positive. For me, he is somebody who can help.”

“He’s been around and been positive anyway, but I am sure he will be more important when he comes back because you need good characters.”

Benitez handed Rob a four year deal in early September and it seems if Rob can get back to playing like he was last season – he will likely become Newcastle’s number one under Rafa.

If he can get back to his top form he will again be a huge player for us this season and hopefully help us get promoted.

Rob is a big favorite with the Newcastle fans, which is hardly surprising and he has the ability and love of the club that can be a massive help to the team this season.

Tags: Coaching · Injuries · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Oct 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM

One of my favourite players over the past few seasons, mind you that hasn’t been hard with the shower of shite we’ve been lumbered with. His distribution of the ball is top class – no exaggeration it is genuinely up there with best GKs about, he’s a solid shot stopper and strong in the box. Definitely a PL level goalkeeper, late bloomer but with a cracking work ethic, level head on his shoulders, a good mentor for the younger lads.

Sels and Darlow are 2 keepers for the future, Elliot is our No 1.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 3, 2016 at 2:41 PM

I’m not sure where Sels fits in to the picture when Elliott is back fit. Could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare for the lad.

• 3 magscar // Oct 3, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Goalkeeper is a position where rotation (apart from Cups) is not usually considered welcome so interesting decisions to come but not for a few months yet. Loan for some one beckoning in Jan and not necessarily Woodman – nevermind 2cnd spot who would settle for 3rd?

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Oct 3, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    Dwight Gayle has had more chances than anyone else in the division which is good, but he has only got 54% of them on target which is bad.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Oct 3, 2016 at 3:16 PM

defender and ex-captain of the Cameroon’s national side, Rigobert Song, 40, was in a coma on Monday after suffering a stroke.

Christ you don’t have to be old these days, very frightening.

• 6 G // Oct 3, 2016 at 3:28 PM

@5, happened to a mate of mine in Scotswood a few years ago. 20 odd years of age! Thankfully the exception, not the rule, and he recovered in full, although bizarrely he now likes cheese, and never used to.

• 7 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM

We have an electronic version of Tim Krul now? Wow. Rafa really is pushing the boundaries by gerting an eTim.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Tsunki…Honestly, keep up with the times or at least improve your reading skills…

“eTim’s been out almost a year now”

Must have been one of McClarens ideas to get the eTim, not Rafas.

• 9 Belfast // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Is this the return of Ruddy ?? 🙂

I never did get to write that article on the nufc (not so daily).

• 10 Belfast // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Had quite a few power naps over there though.

• 11 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Over a year, you say, Ibiza? This new fangled technology just whooshes by me these days. I actually thought we had an eCoach when McLaren was in the job but he just looked virtual.

• 12 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Belfast obviously you weren’t as quick on the draw as you thought. Blinked there and missed your opportunity.

• 13 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:43 PM

I’m sure you posted a few good thoughts on Robs place though eh?

• 14 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM

I think rafa should ask what’s is face at Citeh if he can send us an eAguero over for next week…

• 15 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Tsunki..Well, actually, it’s what Ed says, but yes, over a year…well, actually, that’s still not correct.

“Almost a year”

All this e talk is making me think about the Space closing I just missed.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM

I do hope they have Robs contract tied up and not a new e contract for some Mr. Lliot.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM

It’s been a while since I posted

Very pleased with our start to the season. We have done exceptionally well with the odd blip which is to be expected. The championship is a lot more competitive that it was 5/6 years ago with the premier league money filtering down as well as clubs gambling to get their hands on premier league money.

I think all we lack at present is another quality striker. If gayle gets injured we might be in bother. I would be tempted to hold of though because as Jail has said we’d struggle to get good quality in the championship who would make it if we got promoted.

Might be best off hoping Gayle stays fit then getting a 20mil forward if we go up (a big ask for both I know). Even be tempted with a loan move in January if there are any decent options available.

• 18 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Lovely to see you Sage.
    Oh, and you too Ruddy, I suppose 🙂

• 19 Belfast // Oct 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Nobody posted any thoughts on Robs blog. That’s why he got so angry lol

• 20 Belfast // Oct 3, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Transfer to be fair too are other strikers none of them have really had a chance yet. So we don’t know how capable they are in this league just yet. I think Murphy could do quite well if given a run of games.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Transfer…I’d imagine winter transfer activity hinges on how we’re doing at that stage.

I’d hope that if we’re well placed, then the club may be able to persuade some of the longer term targets, more suited to the PL, to join us and get integrated prior to next season.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Oct 3, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Very true. They might well be good enough, just going from what I’ve seen from them before I’m not overly convinced. Happy to give them time though, working with a good manager who has a team playing well can make a striker who looked ineffective previously be more than competent.

Yeh that could be the case. I don’t know what others think but I’d love to see us go in for Giroud next season. Out of favour with Arsenal and he’s worth a good 15 goals a season in the prem league. Would compliment what we have nicely as well I think.

• 23 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Transfer…I certainly wouldn’t grumble if the club pursued Giroud. Clearly a decent striker.

I would have thought there may be better alternatives, when taking in age and value perhaps.

Haven’t really watched much PL so far this season, so hadn’t realised Giroud was out of favour at Arsenal.

• 24 Toonces // Oct 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

If we were to go for a new striker in the winter window I wonder if Ings could be a possibility. A loan with option to buy should we win promotion. Given his lack of playing time at Liverpool he might be open to this. Fanciful thinking at the moment no doubt but fun to wonder about.

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:20 PM

That’s what the blog was missing, your rapier wit. Admittedly I simply didn’t have the time (nor inclination) to write scathing article after scathing article on the malaise surrounding our club last season and the season before so the blog got abandoned – awful choice of name for the blog, set myself up for a fall. We live and learn.

Not often I’m an afterthought, have I been away that long?

• 26 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Afterthought? Welcome to my world Ruddy.

• 27 Tsunki // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Oh yeah, welcome back Sage.

Oh…and you too Ruddy, while I remember…

• 28 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Seems these blog whipper snappers have reduced us veterans to postscripts, we had a good run though.

I’m only semi-posting as I was off sick from work today so it’s a flying visit but doesn’t seem to be much signs of life…

• 29 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Just a bit of whimsy Ruddy.
    A device to take the sting out of the possibility that Sage might cut me ……

• 30 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Only pulling your leg. How are things? What do you make of our seemingly positive, yet uninspiring start to the season? (Norwich result aside)

Personally I think we’ll walk the league, then the real questions must be answered.

• 31 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM

…which he did 🙂

I think the start is about par. I never thought we’d walk the league, though I think we should get promoted.
    I think its a much-improved set-up, though I don’t go as far as some. The squad is improved in its utility inasmuch as we have competition for places. It seems nonsense to me to say we have far better quality players across the board. We have rooted out most of the rot that had quite predictably set in. Hopefully we’ll go up with a well-drilled team with a strong ethos that can be tooled up in certain places.
    Otherwise, I’m waiting to see whether the common cause of getting out of the division lasts once that’s achieved.
    Are you through university?

• 32 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Was going to post but I noticed you guys were all welcoming each other back. Don’t really want to ruin the moment so I’ll come back later.

• 33 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Don’t go.
    Ruddy and I were once the very best of blog enemies. We got past that by battering seven shades out of each other.
    As Ruddy and BandB.

• 34 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:05 PM

• 35 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM

• 36 Lindisfarne // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Seems about right for the moment:

• 37 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:18 PM

That reminds me…….

Have the minutes of the Fans Forum meeting seen the light of day yet?

• 38 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:22 PM

There’s been a fans forum meeting?

• 39 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Apparently Rafa went along and revealed to them the mysteries of the blueprint, and it was all very exciting.
    Maybe they were so star-struck they have been tongue-tied ever since.
    Aren’t they supposed to be the body that leases with the club and reports back to the fans.

• 40 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM

• 41 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM

BandB…Nope, that’s not what they’re supposed to do at all, well, not until the club has officially done so anyway.

Now you mention it, I do seem to recall some posts to Twitter (is the name “Taylor&Besty” or something?) who seemed enthralled by the meeting, Rafa in particular.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:29 PM

BandB…However, seeing as you mentioned “leases”….

Any news on that front?

• 43 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:31 PM

I thought you were checking…..was it me that was checking?…..I thought you were checking.
    The Supporters’ Trust seems to be updating when it has news.
    Weird idea…..

• 44 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Siem De Jong has been recalled to the Dutch squad !??!

Would be good if we could get him back later on in the season fully fit and in top form

• 45 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:37 PM

BandB…I suppose you did think of it, only fair someone else checks. Not that I’m offering, of course.

Very weird idea. Whatever next?

Bunga…Makes you question his apparent injury / fitness issues whilst here. He never got anything nearing a run of games whilst here, so I never bought in to the idea that he wasn’t suited to the PL. Would be great to actually see what he can do. No doubting he has ability.

Mind, aren’t the Dutch squad in a bad way at present?

• 46 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Maybe you could write to them, Lindisfarne?

• 47 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM

I think Holland have a lot of players out injured which is probably why he got the recall !

Wouldn’t surprise me if he rushed back to play for us a few times which ended up with him getting injured a lot he looks to be getting eased back into it at the moment

• 48 Average_Contents // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Taylor and besty recently got invited to the training ground for 4hrs by rafa.

They quite literally got wide-ons about it.

Actually it does ring a bell regarding them mentioning the minutes.

Things like that are no longer important though are they.

All is well.

Who cares about the catering or what c0cksnot said to tw@tface 😉

Welcome back TS.

Did sooty survive?

I contacted the belt manufacturer but I’m yet to receive an adequate response.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Bunga…Fair enough. Hope he does well, only good for us if he does.

• 50 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM

He’s in A and E, having his trapezoid reset.

• 51 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:50 PM

AC…Their admin / customer service isn’t anywhere near as good as their seat belt manufacturing. I’m pleased it’s that way round.

You haven’t been upsetting the blog have you?

• 52 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:52 PM

…….makes mute flagging down gesture with hands…….

• 53 BandB // Oct 3, 2016 at 7:53 PM

……you’ll wake the baby.

• 54 Ibizatoon // Oct 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM

*walks quietly back towards the door*

previous post: Difference: How Rafa Picks A Team And How England Do It