Here’s Some Stats On Newcastle So Far This Season

As we go into another (long and boring) two week International break we have time to reflect on how Newcastle have done so far this season.

Before the first International break we won an EFL cup tie at home to Cheltenham and got 9 points from the first five league games.

Before the second International break we beat Wolves in the 3rd round of the EFL Cup to line up Preston at home in the next round and in our 6 league games we got 13 points – a better return than in the first batch of games.

rafa-benitez-smiling

Rafa Benitez – looks like he’s pleased enough

Here’s some information on how we stand at the moment.

The league table.

Ciaran Clark213
Jamaal Lascelles303
Isaac Hayden202
Grant Hanley101
Chancel Mbemba101
DeAndre Yedlin101

How we compare with the 2009-2010 season at the same stage after 11 games.

SeasonPlayedWonLostDrawGFGAGDPoints
2016-20173724857032+3877
2009-201037224117127+4477

And here are the upcoming games before the next International break which starts after the weekend of the 5th November – Guy Fawkes Day.

October
Sat 15	15:00	H  Brentford
Tue 18	19:45	A  Barnsley
Sat 22	15:00	H  Ipswich Town
Tue 25	19:45	H  Preston - EFL Cup 4th round
Sat 29	15:00	A  Preston
November
Sat 05	15:00	H  Cardiff City

We’ve done quite well so far this season.

What do you think?

• Jib

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I think this international break has come at a perfect time for our 2 rivals Huddersfield and Norwich .
    Both were starting to look a little ragged round the edges.
    Norwich have 8 players away – 2 Irish Rep 2 Northern Ireland 2 Scotland 1 Norway 1 Sweden .
    Huddersfield have only the Socceroo Aaron Mooy who is off to Saudi Arabia then Melbourne

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM

From Huddersfield, spit and sawdust football town, to Saudi Arabia, still stuck in the dark ages, to Melbourne, one of the the most wonderful, progressive cities in the world. The life of a Socceroo.

• Jib

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Whoops

Before Mr Tuff gets on my case

Huddersfield have two other players away on international duty.

On-loan Liverpool keeper Danny Ward has joined up with Wales for their World Cup qualifiers against Austria and Georgia and centre-back Jon Gorenc Stankovic is in the Slovenia Under 21 squad.

• Spoof

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM

How many of our squad are away on international duty, Mbemba if Congo have a game that is, not sure if they do and Ritchie and Hanley could be about the lot seeing that Murphy has pulled out through injury.

• Spoof

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Is Mitro away ?

so we don’t have many and of late only Ritchie has played regularly.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Jib……… I was just about to correct you there but you managed to salvage some respect from your glaring error.
    I’m sure Mr. Tuff will go easy on you with this one. Perhaps a mild spanking as opposed to a heavy caning would be in order.

• Spoof

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:33 AM

perhaps Dummett as well, could someone post a list, including U21’s as well, cheers.

• Jib

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Spoof I did such a list yesterday

Please pay attention as we may be asking you questions later.

Betty have you noticed – Tuffty never posts any thing informative but is double quick to pounce on those that do for the tiniest mistake – there must be word for such a person !

• martoon

DeAndre Yedlin (USA):
    Thu 06.10.2016 Cuba (a) Havana FR
    Wed 12.10.2016 New Zealand (h) Washington DC FR

Ciaran Clark (Ireland):
    Thu 06.10.2016 Georgia (h) Dublin WCQ
    Sun 09.10.2016 Moldova (a) Chisinau WCQ

Daryl Murphy was initially named in the squad but withdrew after reporting for duty with a calf issue.

Paul Dummett (Wales):

Tue 11.10.2016 Slovakia (a) Trnava WCQ

Freddie Woodman, Isaac Hayden (England U21):
    Sat 08.10.2016 Kazakstan (a) Aktobe ECQ
    Tue 11.10.2016 Bosnia (h) Walsall ECQ

• Budge123

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Jib – your list didn’t include Sels.
    Please get it correct before posting information.
    I’m sure there is a word for such a person!

( smiley face – I’ll write rather than input as it always comes up as a random letter!)

• bettyswallocks

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Jib……. He certainly seems to be very strict with you and intolerant of even the slightest mistake. Perhaps if he wasn’t around to keep you on your toes you would be even more wayward. Lol.

• Spoof

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Cheers martoon.

Jib, I was out for most of yesterday so I didn’t see it, as for the questions, please no as I never know the answers, and as for Tuff, I doubt that there is a word for it, I expect it’s simply a case of him not liking you and he seems to take great pleasure in knocking you, jibdisliker, there you go I’ve just invented the word for you.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:59 AM

As we will be football free for the next two weeks, can we have some updates on the Academy etc?

Mackenzie Heaney was a Guardian One to watch last season, Golden Boot winner in U18 Tournament and is now supposedly playing U23. Any one?

Also what does Ian Cathro actually do?

• BeeGuy

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Time for Rafa to see which of the squad can improve in defending against the Route 1/head tennis teams. There may be a lot of that when the weaker teams are on the schedule.

• martoon

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Something to talk about while it is quiet – I was thinking about our Summer signings who I’m pleasantly surprised at and disappointed with. IMO

Ciaran Clark – pleasantly surprised at what a decent defender he is – I always thought he was the problem with Villa’s defence!

Mo Diame – disappointed with – so far he has not shown enough to be the player I thought we had bought.

Anybody else got an opinion?

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Lindy, Heaney seems to have been around forever, although he still turns out for the Academy! He’s a big centre forward. Works hard but till has a few rough corbers to his game. That said, plenty time to remove those and turn him into a good striker. He knows where the goal is for sure.
    The word you seek Jib, is anal retentive. Can’t let anything go. Might explain the obsession with spanking buttocks as well. 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Nothing the matter with striving for accurate information – and/or correcting duff information.

I mean to say if I said Alan Shearer was the best centre half Newcastle ever had I’m sure there would be “things said”.

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Blog police spare me. I meant corners and still before that.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM

woah – here we go again another pot shot -for all to see.

• jayphoto

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM

@Lindisfarne – Pretty sure Cathro runs a lot of the day to day training sessions and coaches technical and tactical skills and positioning. Hes really highly regarded in coaching circles for being innovative and interesting with his sessions too!
    Read the secret footballer and joey bartons books recently, was interesting that both mentioning that boring training can cause big unhappiness with players as no matter what the attitude of players, all want to be coached to be the highest standard they can be

• Budge123

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Martoon – would agree with you on them.

I’m disappointed that Murphy and Hanley haven’t had more game time to judge them.

The only time I saw Gamez he was dreadful (pre season home friendly )

So bit of a mixed bunch.

Ritchie was obvious class.
    Haydon has been the most pleasing for me. Could have a real player on our hands there in years to come

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Not pot shot – a statement of fact. You are absessed with spanking buttocks, you can’t deny that. And people who can’t let things go, are called anal retentive. Jib was looking for the word, I helped out. You come on here and attack people, then cry like a baby if anybody says anything about you. Grow up Tuff, nobody is impressed.

• jayphoto

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Think that we’ll be a formidable side come December onwards. Players like Gamez and Lazaar when they’ve settled (think both are still in hotels, not much English etc) will strengthen us like new signings. Our squad is so much stronger than huddersfields who will probably start to slide when injuries and tiredness sets in as their back ups are a long way off the ability of their first 11.

Also, just how good has Ciaran Clark been! Last 3 games I’ve seen him in he’s been excellent. Expected him to struggle vs Rotherham as they are very very pacey but he played very well again!

• jayphoto

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:25 AM

@Budge – apparently Murphy has been struggling to shake a hamstring injury which would explain his lack of minutes.
    My guess is hanley just isn’t training aswell as the other 3 centre backs? Lascelles is a nailed on starter, Clark has just been excellent, so much better than expected and Mbemba is very very quick that will give him the edge.
    Probably doesn’t help Hanley that him and Lascelles are very similar players. My guess is he might be lascelles back up and Rafa chooses 1 from lascelles and hanley and 1 from Clark and Mbemba

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:25 AM

And on that, being able to predict the simple folk of this world, I’m gone. I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man, or I’ll be accused of god knows what. Bullying? Beung a thug? Oh god, it’s just so tedious. Bye!

• Mister Tuff

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM

woah – can’t let things go and obsession with buttocks.
    I think it is clear to see that you are trying to cause a ruck this morning – a pot shot a me first then saying I’m obsessed with buttocks – strange you accuse me of that obsession when you bring it up and have done so several times even telling the world about your arse ailments.
    Clear for all to see what is going on today.

• Tsunki

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM

It was all quite civil yesterday. Only takes a little dig to turn that around.

• Jib

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Bobby Bee
    I’ve looked it up
    He is the very model of an anally retentive person.
    Thankyou

• Mister Tuff

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Oh and before you scuttle off I do hope that your haemorrhoids are under control.
    As a friendly gesture I have provided a link as a guide for your missus as how to apply your haemorrhoid cream.

• Budge123

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Jay – good point. I’m disappointed about Murphy as I honk he could be great in this team. Like a finished version of Mitro without the bullsh*t.

• Tsunki

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM

There goes the neighbourhood!

• Budge123

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Think not honk lol

• Tsunki

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Strange I thought Hanley would impose some authority – admittedly it was against inferior opposition but in the cup game I saw him play in he seemed to be pretty much in control of the back line.

• G

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM

@13, seen Heaney play quite a lot, and he looks like he is going to be a very good player. I don’t think he is going to be a special player, but for hard work, and a thunderous shot, coupled with the ability to be in the right place at the right time, I think the kid will definitely play Prem football one day. Rumour has it that Peter Beardsley does’t have him in his little list of favourites, so he could well be leaving in the near future.

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM

The biggest arse ailment – tuff, a proper pain in the arse. 🙂

• martoon

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Budge123 @21 – Obviously Ritchie has probably been the pick but I forgot about Haydon – yes definitely pleasantly surprised there – he is like a younger, better version of Colback.

• Tsunki

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM

I don’t get what’s going on with Diame. He keeps pooping up in stats and gets mentioned in assists but generally the comments seem to be he has a bad game. From my perspective he has a liking for trying a trick too many when he could pass, but more than that his consistency seems to switch on and off at random during the game. He’s an odd one, I always thought Sissoko didn’t really fit in our team shape, maybe it’s the same with Diame, he doesn’t seem to have a best position in our setup.

• Tsunki

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Pooping up? Ha ha that’s a keeper. 🙂 popping up. I hope he stops pooping up he won’t be very popular if he carries on with that.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Hahahaha – what a wassock.
    Get that jacksie cream well rubbed into ya gob might shrink it a bit.

• Bobbybee

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

No, i type with my fingers, not my gob. Not that your post made real sense, which is odd considering the amount of times you pull people up for minor mistakes. I could swap insults all day but people get bored of it. So. Mr Anal, I’ll leave you to it. You have no problem getting on peoples nerves and appear to revel in it. You carry on. 🙂