The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Interested In Signing Nigerian International Defender

9:16 pm, Tuesday, October 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

We put out a report earlier today that said that Newcastle scouts were in Belgium last Thursday night checking out the Gent vs Sassuolo Europa League tie,  which the home side won 3-1.

And there was some debate as to which players Newcastle could have been checking out at the game.

Wilfried Ndidi – 19 year-old Genk defensive midfielder

One of those were 19 year-old Jamaican left winger Leon Bailey, who other clubs have been interested in for over a year now and another possible target was Sassuolo forward Gregoire Defrel, who is a 25-year-old French forward.

Yes another player Newcastle could have been checking out is Genk’s 19-year-old Nigerian defensive midfielder Wilfried Ndidi, who can also play at center-back or full-back.

Ndidi signed for Gent a year last January from Nathaniel Boys of Lagos in his native Nigeria and he made his debut for Genk on 31 January last year at Charleroi.

Since then he has played 67 times for Genk with 4 goals and he has already made 4 appearances for the full Nigerian National side.

Premier League clubs like Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham and Middlesbrough were reported to be interested in the player over the summer and now it seems that Newcastle may have joined his list of admirers.

His transfer fee is said to be low at only £5M.

Here’s Wilfried’s goals from last season.

What do you think?

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Oct 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Well howdy doody yes Ndidi!

• 2 Belfast // Oct 4, 2016 at 9:45 PM

International blog death week night two.

Tsunki on the decks.

• 3 Belfast // Oct 4, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Plenty a space on tonights bus Tsunki.

• 4 Jib // Oct 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Tsunki’s contribution to the footy craic.

Takes the piss out of a foreign name.

At least Mr anally retentive Tuff has the excuse of being stupid.

• 5 Lindisfarne // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:10 PM

With England form goes out the window:

• 6 Rotonda heights // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Jib calling someone racist. Really. . . . .it’s the unintentional irony that always raises a grin. We’re not feeling the love Jib baby.

• 7 Mister Tuff // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Don’t think the Jib Appreciation Society will take off -does not have a attractive ring to it.
    Could I suggest an improvement – I think my suggestion will allow Jib and his mates/cronies/thug friends/blog thicko’s/blog yellow bellies and lily livers a sense of belonging.
    For ease of writing abbreviated to Jackass.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Jib – no need to send your thanks for my suggestion – consider it a friendly gesture.

• 9 Sav // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Or possibly none of the above.
    There were presumably 22 players on view?
    You have to speculate to accumulate but this is speculating for the sake of it. Its going to be a long intl. break if this is any indication.

• 10 Tsunki // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Aye but you laughed first didn’t you jib, admit it 🙂

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 4, 2016 at 10:40 PM

I’m starting a new job on Thursday which will unfortunately not allow me to sit all day pretending I’m doing paperwork at a computer. I think k it may be a godsend!

• 12 Pat On The Heed // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Working in radio, Jail?

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:08 PM

I might be for a day or two!

• 14 Lindisfarne // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:18 PM

May I suggest the first item on the agenda for the formation of any association, loose or otherwise, should be to create their own blog.

• 15 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Just checking before calling it a night – didn’t take long to catch up 🙂

Whilst doing so I had one of those flashes of understanding that we all get once in awhile.

The Blog as we know it is genuine but is also a canvas on which the real game is played by those really in the know and with it. Invitation only sort of thing.

I haven’t fathomed out all the rules and scoring yet but some have become apparent. It is a little like when footballers in interviews with Media drop in as many Abba/ Beatle songs as they can.

Millions watch unaware of the clever interplay between the gauche footballers seemingly making rather inane comments during an interview when unbeknownst to us all and the media we are being played in a highly skilled on camera repartee battle.

The Game in which we are the unwittingly involved is brilliant really and most posters on here are unaware that they are just part of the misdirection and are pawns.

The sort of contributions which score (haven’t worked out the points system) are quite varied and I suspect have been added to as the game has progressed. The ones I have stumbled across are as follows and perhaps other pawns can add to list as they recognise ones I haven’t spotted -so in no particulate order

Making random comments as a first contribution that day but which is intended to knock other posters without being obvious who ( not for the unskilled this one). Draws in other posters who feel that they are being targeted – can really put the cat amongst the pigeons

Less high scoring is the simple “jam pot” but it allows for frequent mentions of spanking ( sorry swatting). This seems to be for former afficiando’s of the Frank Richards series of books who have never grown up but gives single points which can mount up quickly.

There is of course the easy scores of outing multiple and WUM’s ( I don’t think calling another poster a Mackems scores any longer but it was a staple in the early less sophisticated days – may even attract a minus now. Obvious candidates don’t score highly but if you can rope in another then
    quite a bonus. Another staple.
    Making literary references within a post is also quite a good move – the more obscure and above the heads of the uneducated the better. Ones that other players don’t even get and have to have explained by email score highest.

Making comments which are dismissed as those of the slightly inebriated and so not responded to are coveted. As an example adopting a Delia guise and calling out ( well posting – you know what I mean) “where are you all let’s be having you!!!” can hit the jackpot.

Swearing – not used by all but is good for catching up when dropping behind in points. Can just riff on this for a few posts and easily make up on nearest opponent.

Minus points can be earned and the obvious ones are 2 consecutive posts about football, getting beaten by a Muckle in a one to one, having to call in reinforcements

There are some of the points and they are fairly straightforward in the main but then I haven’t been aware of the game for long so I am sure there are others

I have worked out some of the players but not all as some unwittingly play along without being in on it. Players who can draw in these dupes actually score quite high points.

One of the first rules is not to get drawn into any Football craic – if you do you automatically forfeit any points scored that day or the last day in which you contributed on more than 2 occasions. I think there is some kind of rule that if it is quiet you can kick things off with a football comment – if you get responses going then no minus score but if you don’t than you score badly – it is a risky gambit but in International weeks someone has to make a sacrifice. The better and advanced players of course have nerves of steel and can wait out others without flinching and making unnecessary contributions.

Some build up unassailable leads such that they can have a holiday from the Blog and only return when competitors are catching up. Others have gone native and begin to enjoy the sparring and have to have remedial training with the threat of having their game pass withdrawn and becoming a simple poster if they don’t step it up.

Anyway I have written this quickly and in one go with no read back so can get it out early in this International break so excuse any grammatical errors or parts not easily followed.

I feel someone looking over my shoulder as I type not sure if a”player has managed to sneak a key reader onto my computer so must go – night.

Hopefully will be back on perhaps from another computer and in another town – reading up on Snowden and Assange to give me some ideas.

• 16 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:57 PM

My last post was a bit of jest if I have stumbled onto something real well no one has been feeding me info it is all my own work so no dismissals please. Oh and in case it is all too real then posting in the twilight zone midweek has given me the chance to put many miles between me and this MacDonalds spot whose WiFi I piggybacked on (so don’t take any notice of the IP address you hunters). Will have a VPN up and running next time on here so won’t need the fall back of another identity just yet. Have also had some training on ditching the trademark hyphens , long posts and being Po faced so if I do come back won’t be recognisable ( bit of misdirection there – possibly)

• 17 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Wow a real never to be surpassed Blog killer? Fame at last 🙂

• 18 Toonces // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Hi All,

Realize this is a little late in the blog day for those in Newcastle. I’ll be over with my girlfriend for the Cardiff game on November 5th. Looking at tickets I am thinking to sit somewhere near center pitch midway up the stand. I have been over previously and sat in the Leazes end in the sport club section. As this is a one off for my vacation I don’t mind spending for a premium seat. Any thoughts to the seating in and around the platinum club or bar 1892 areas? Any home secrets about obstructed views or other issues? Appreciate any recommendations. Cheers.

• 19 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Sorry if I have scared away any late nighters from responding.

I haven’t been in either of the 2 areas you have mentioned (not cheap) but both should have good views but Platinum Club will be quiet if you like atmosphere. There isn’t anywhere with obstructed seats in ground but there are some high up ones. I sit in one!

Some poster(s) have mentioned Bar 1892 but can’t recall who but they will have a better idea of how worthwhile that area is.

• 20 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:34 AM

If that was an attempt to track me I am now in a service station on someone’s phone so good luck in catching me

• 21 lesh // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Like your game. The rules are straightforward and much simpler than Jail’s Rafa bingo.

They were as clear and concise, as brief, as Orhan Pamuk’s efforts to put hüzun into the context of Istanbul.

• 22 lesh // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:39 AM

You’ve been rumbled….. Will the real Jib please stand up?

• 23 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Not my game and never had an invite – can’t think why.

I’m glad you have responded as I was beginning to think I am in the internet equivalent of The Truman Show and I was the only one not in on it 🙂

• 24 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:42 AM

magscar – you have clearly delved into this matter to extraordinary levels and I suggest perhaps your conclusions are far fetched.
    Could I offer an alternative view.
    The blog is a reflection of society where all sorts of interactions take place.
    The types of things said and reportedly done on here would probably not be tolerated in an ordinary society setting.
    All types of person now can access the web and proffer their views for all to see.
    This includes good people, bad people, clever people, ignorant people, people of respectable antecedents and those with corrupt and disreputable antecedents.
    A getting together of all of the above with cause frictions.
    The above groups do not naturally mix in society but are attracted to those of similar “standings”.

For example the folk I knock around with would not tolerate racists, those bragging about their thuggery exploits about beating people up, those who abuse others with filthy language etc etc.
    They would be excluded pronto.
    That exclusion does not happen on here – the scumbags keep returning.
    Probably the worst thing of all is when folk who are really decent folk in society keep silent on here when the scumbags are offering their twisted views for all to see.

There we go – better theory and not as complicated as yours’.

• 25 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:44 AM

You are scoring highly with those 2 posts – an obscure reference and an outing. You are the early one to beat this early morning but good luck 🙂

The reference nearly had me keying into Google but I just stopped myself in time.

• 26 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Mister Tuff

Where has your self proclaimed sense of humour gone?

It is all a bit of a laugh in a quiet night in a fortnight’s footy break. Lighten up

• 27 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:48 AM

Oh and no delving that was written in one go at around 11 before I retired for night.

You know I can’t stop when I get in my stride and on my soapbox 🙂

• 28 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Should add though I do like your post as a new blog game – only to be conducted during international breaks. Has potential.

• 29 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Mister Tuff

Nah! Who could score it who has the time Jfa has his hands full and no computer access and Martoon is busy with his spreadsheet. Are you offering you will have to publish the rules and of course I couldn’t join in as I’d be worse than I am in Rafa’s Bingo

• 30 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Mister Tuff

Hope this isn’t the equivalent of keeping me on the line whilst your earstwhile colleagues track my Ip address. You know I have taken precautions and am not bluffing.

• 31 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Mmmm on second thoughts perhaps not such a good game – in practice.
    “Ya shyte and scumbags” would deny what they had just posted and blame other people for causing rucks -as they do ordinarily and would falsely declare their status as victims when the converse was true.
    At that I’m off to the pit.

• 32 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:09 AM

Anyway really must go as I hadn’t intended to post – it just crossed my mind and flowed as I wrote. Will probably get a couple of hours before waking up as others of my age 🙁 but will try to refrain from looking at Blog and just read instead otherwise I will get sucked in as I have before . Having said that there aren’t as many night owls as they once was and few posts from overseas bloggers.

• 33 Ron Knee // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:22 AM

“Cardiff City: Neil Warnock to be named manager after Paul Trollope sacking”

I hope Jail hasn’t seen this!

• 34 Average_Contents // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:29 AM

That’s some paranoid deep thinking sh1t right there.

How many decades have you spent in solitary confinement again?

No offence but if there was ip hunters trying to discover people I’d wager you’d be pretty low on the list of conquests.

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Was at the Swansea game last season in the Platinum Club you get a great view of the game but its a bit like a library there is hardly any singing etc

• 36 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:51 AM

Ah shckus and here was me thinking I was pretty high on the list. Anyway good job I only got quarter of a mile away waiting for a Costa to open to post from my next public WiFi. Guess I can head home . Whoa just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get me right – nearly fell for it 🙂

• 37 Ron Knee // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:53 AM

“Even a paranoid can have enemies.” – Henry Kissinger

• 38 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Ron Knee

Perhaps Cardiff City read the Blog and got idea from jail and thought they better move sharpish if Rafa was going? Wonder if he might get a finder’s fee?

• 39 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Ron Knee

Seriously it doesn’t seem that long since Shearer was being linked with them and turned them down. No wonder Managers offices come with revolving doors at some clubs

• 40 Ron Knee // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM

Aston Villa manager bingo, maybe?

• 41 Average_Contents // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:15 AM

They do indeed.

How many points did you get for that Ron lol.

• 42 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Well reckon if I can make this coffee last a while and not think everyone is looking at me I can get in queue at Library for one of their Spectrums when they open. Will be able to respond from there to BandB’s serious roughing up when she comes on after making breakfast so some other poor dso (Wow never realised how hard it is to swear even pseudo style with predictive text helping you out) doesn’t think it is them in the firing line.

This being on the run isn’t fun. If I had thought it through last night I wouldn’t be out here with my Keegan era NUFC jacket on over my PJ’s and some more street cred slippers . No wonder I think people are staring they are! Right that’s paranoia of the list now to deal with delusion.

• 43 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:20 AM

I’m sure Villa fans would have the bed sheets out next time we go there if we try that game out. Could be a while mind if things go to plan

• 44 Ron Knee // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:24 AM

Could Sammi be waiting for a re-call to Cardiff City?

• 45 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Delusion? Ok leave the humour to Tsunki and G2 (alright Betty and Welshie as well).

That’s another tick on my list of cured ailments – should have taken those tablets Doc gave me ages a go.

• 46 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:25 AM

LOL – I like the invention and keeping the dark narrative continuing. There are some definite unwritten rules on this blog-sphere but I am not sure how to score them, although we all like to take points off each other. Keep taking the tablets, find a comfortable place to lie down and think of a happy time/place.

• 47 firebug666 // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Well that was some catch up reading.

I think I shall lie under the table in the fetus position and suck my thumb until normal service has resumed. 😀

• 48 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Oh and in case anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion the tablets aren’t of the FireHd or Nexus type ( other makes are available) but those things in blister packs – sorry to steal your role Tuff but you aren’t around at moment 🙂

• 49 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Have enjoyed a change of role from my pious lecturing one but you all need a rest now as a new day has dawned so thanks for the patience ( nearly put patients) . Catch all later if they don’t get me first 🙂

• 50 firebug666 // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:41 AM

A dark room will save you hiding from shadows, or you can just close your eye and pretend it’s not real.

• 51 expatmag // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:43 AM

JFA @ 11

It will be for us…….lol

• 52 magscar // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:53 AM

How do you know I only have one eye – you got me in view? Off as fast a I can in these old slippers they are on to me!!

• 53 Ian Toon // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM

magscar- Like something for kids to do on a long car journey or something to unburden your soul. It was an amusing entertaining post which triggers a few thoughts of my own. Not a pompous response – certainly not intended. I tend to read more often than I post – hurrah !

I frequently read some comments on the blog as being unpleasant, offensive, inaccurate and tediously repetitive. Then I also view some as being highly amusingly funny and a great antidote to my day. So it’s well worth the effort ploughing through sifting out the wheat from the chaff. I was highly amused by one respondent who’s posts are frequently full of bile, presenting himself as a “pillar of the establishment” and somewhat like a minister of the cloth caught in a brothel claiming to be seeking to get sinners to repent. As a representative snapshot many on here in the real world would doubtless recoil from the bloggers company delusional justification. I know you like a literary quote – ” if only we could see ourselves as others see us” It seems to me that for many seniors, who love NUFC the blog is a strong pull but for others it’s merely an adjunct in busy enjoyable lives. I don’t see any pecking order young or old on here just different perspectives

Anonymity does frequently encourage activity that would not be tolerated in the real world. I am not referring to undercover policemen or reporters- fake sheiks from the NOTW. It clearly encourages sheer unpleasantness and personal remarks which make for a boring read. I am guilty myself on occasion of tit for tat posts which are just not worth reading. I recognise the value of those posting that know more and understand better. I also favour self regulation and liberty of expression on the blog with interesting responses subject to time constraints. Some voluminous offerings are worthy of the read, (sometimes later) and engender an interesting debate?

I likewise have not read this through and am short on sleep.
    Enjoy your day.