The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Talks In Glowing Terms About His Mentor

12:38 pm, Tuesday, October 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

DeAndre Yedlin was very keen to join Newcastle and he seemed to jump at the chance to join such a big club once manager Rafa Benitez went after him.

Rafa wanted to replace Daryl Janmaat, who didn’t want to play in England’s second division so he left the club for Watford after two years on Tyneside.

And the good news about DeAndre is that Tottenham Chairman Daniel Levy didn’t ask too much for him – it was a fairly modest £5M he wanted for the 23 year-old.

DeAndre Yedlin aston villa

DeAndre Yedlin in action for Newcastle

Former German great Jurgen Klinsmann – who played at Tottenham for one season from 1994 as it turns out  – is now the US National manager and he was pleased when DeAndre joined a big club with a world-class manager in Rafa Benitez.

This is what Yedlin has said in the Chronicle today about his US manager:

“Jurgen has been huge in the whole movement of my career.” “Obviously, going into his squad has been big. The first camp he called me into was in January 2014 just before the World Cup.”

“That is known as the January camp and that includes MLS players because the season in the US runs from February to December meaning the MLS players are free to join up with the national team.”

“January is for players on the bubble, and it was my first camp. But from then on Jurgen has shown trust in me.”

“I didn’t think I’d be going to the World Cup but I played well against Mexico and then when the pre-World Cup games arrived he called me in again along with a few younger players.”

“We all just thought he was calling us in to get experience and get ready for maybe the next tournament.”

“But he ended up taking us to Brazil and from there I showed well at the World Cup and that ultimately got me to Europe.”

“It’s been my goal since I was a kid to play over here. Jurgen has shown so much trust in me.”

“Even when I was at Tottenham and I wasn’t playing or in the squad, he was calling me up to camps so I could get game time.”

“He has been instrumental in my development as a player.”

DeAndre has 40 international caps and he’s in the US squad to play against Cuba and New Zealand.

They will be on TV over here – so must remember to watch to see how DeAndre does.

Tags: Coaching · International break · International News · Management · Newcastle News · World Cup 2018

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 12:36 PM

I think biggest disappointment so far has to be Diame but as I have said it may because of the role he has been asked to fill. Certainly by now fitness shouldn’t be an issue given his game time.

On the plusses Hayden,Yedlin and Clark are beginning to impress and I remember posting when latter signed that he had caught my eye some years back playing against us but Villa fans had seemingly turned on him. Certainly better than Williamson with whom he was drawing certain comparisons on here. CB happily at this level isn’t a position to concern us as it has been plaguing us over last few years.

Goalkeeper is going to become an interesting position as well once Elliott is match ready.

Too early for Murphy, Lazzarr and Atsu but latter’s cameo’s suggest potential is beginning to be realised. Murphy will do Ok for this season I suspect

• 2 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Can’t help but think that one of the scourges of PL is the number of players that the so called big clubs accumulate and then loan out. It isn’t new but is growing as the riches have grown.

I know we have some out on loan but it is not the same as having more than twenty youngsters with potential bought up and loaned out.

Man U have always done it and the game is littered with their English cast offs but Chelsea and Man City also excel at it with Spurs joining in.

It could be that under Rafa we progress to the extent we also have several possibles on the books and loand out but I would prefer to see some PL legislation on this area to keep it real.

• 3 manxpie // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Magscar totally agree that’s why i think young players should be wage capped so they move for football reasons alone
    can’t believe agents get away with giving “advice” to youngsters and ruining their careers for a quick payday
    I seen the other day matt Le tissue is one now! He must be skint

• 4 Ian Toon // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I remember reading that Chelsea have 38 players out on loan. On deadline day 7 left on loan which included Atsu who was the last player signed from Chelsea- signing for us in the final hour before deadline.

Not a lot of people know that.

• 5 Lindisfarne // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Thanks G, Jay and Bbbb.

Do the U23s have any chance of being promoted this year, or is Peter “its not about winning” Beardsley continuing to fulfil his own parameters.

• 6 Ian Toon // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Lukaku would be a good test case given that Chelsea were reportedly trying to buy him from Everton. He’s young (24?) and has gained massive experience on loan that he would not have gained being a squad player at Chelsea.

That said I can see a cap on number in and out on loan as benefiting players and clubs.

• 7 Lindisfarne // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Restrictions on football rarely seem to work and the PL is itself a representative of the clubs within it, rather than an authority over those clubs.

• 8 hibbit // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM

great play shit coach should be no where near any of our teams shocking attitude and coaching ability

• 9 Jib // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

NUFC had a scouting team in Belgium on 29th Sept watching Genk vs Sassuolo in the Europa cup.
    They were probably watching the young Jamaican left winger Leon Bailey who scored in a 3 -1 victory for the Belgians

• 10 LGFUAD21 // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM

But it really is the agents faults at the end of the day. I cannot see why any young player would join Chelski or City.

City may start bringing through youth with Guardiola there and I know they have been planning for ages to switch to a Barca type model.

There is only one big club I would probably join if I were a young lad and that’s Arsenal because you can see the difference in footballing education from players that leave that academy, plus you are going to get chances if you are good enough.

Aside from that young players are better off joining a club with a solid footballing philosophy.

It all stems from the money. Our league system is great in that it has relegations and promotions but I’d love to see more cohesion between the Prem and the rest. Some tight restrictions on wages and transfer spending.

Soccernomics claims that it would make the game boring if teams were more even and that the appeal of football to many are those David vs Goliath moments but I disagree. If it was a more even playing field, we would see a lot more interesting tactics and varied playing styles because the game would be more reliant on outsmarting the opposition. It’d also allow individual talent to flourish because you would no longer be able to hoarde all the talent in one team.

• 11 magscar // Oct 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Sorry have been off doing something – It isn’t’ just the money I think it is the ” big club” tag that does it for a lot even though most don’t get anywhere near first team.

It would be interesting to see how many players are signed on as prospects and actually play regularly in first teams (Atsu and Yedlin are 2 casualties we are benefiting from).

I had read that figure for Chelsea which Iantoon mentions somewhere and it isn’t just them. It is getting like all the pretty young hopefuls once heading for Hollywood stardom and ending up in Bars and Restaurants.

There are some players who are prepared to put their immediate prospects and development ahead of a big club’s calling card but not many. More ambition than sense and Agents don’t help.

The old days of the bootroom and cleaning boots are long gone but apprentices these days at even lower PL clubs are well salaried early on.

previous post: Here’s Some Stats On Newcastle So Far This Season