Joey Barton In Hot Water With Scottish FA

Former Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton, who is now at Rangers but suspended for three weeks, has reportedly been charged by the Scottish Football Association for (allegedly) violating its betting rules.

The possibility Joey had broken betting rules has been mentioned in the media for several days now.

The Mirror are reporting that Barton placed wagers on 44 matches between July 1st and September 15th of this year, while he was a Rangers player.

joey-barton-rangers

Joey Barton – charged by the Scottish FA

Joey has until October 12th to reply to the charge and the date of his hearing will be October 27th.

The SFA have now confirmed the news on their official website:

“Between 1st July and 15th September 2016, both dates inclusive, you placed 44 bets upon football matches and accordingly gambled upon football matches in contravention of Disciplinary Rule 31.”

The 34-year-old played at Newcastle for four years from 2007 when we signed him from Manchester City and he has since played at Queens Park Rangers, Marseille (loan), Burnley and now Rangers.

Barton was banned for three weeks by Rangers manager Mark Warburton after an altercation with him and team-mates following the 5-1 loss to local rivals Celtic in the Scottish Premier League.

Here’s the tweet from the Scottish FA:

Here’s Sky Sports reporting the news.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM

• Madmag

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:19 PM

I rarely post here but the discussion about the multiple ids and socks etc. (2 or 3 Ed posts back) is quite interesting with some quite good comments on how to set up a system to control the TROLLS, but there is no real need for a complex system you (generic you for the sensible posters) only need to follow the internet maxim…
    Don’t feed the trolls.

I’ve been ‘foruming’ since the days of dial in and Bulletin Boards and all the successful forums and blogs just ignore the trolls.

Trolls can’t exist without oxygen and interacting with them is just giving them oxygen.

Personally I just ignore non relevant posts . However I do read this blog every day and there is only really one thing that winds ME up and that is the bad (IMO) habit of posters not to indicating who or what they are replying to .

Apart form that I must say there are some posters here that really know their football 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Jib,
    Since when did having a flutter make you greedy

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Jail

I think you miss the point (Jeez what’s new? )

There are strong rumours in Scotland he bet on matches he was involved in – in my book “greedy” is one of the nicer epithets I could use.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM

madmag …………….”Apart form that I must say there are some posters here that really know their football ?”
    Well thank you very much I would not have been embarrassed if you had named me.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Jib.
    I would der if those strong rumours have been started in the green and white bit of Glasgow.

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM

As long as they are not betting on matches they are involved in nobody should really give a shit.

• magscar

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Madmag

Totally agree and have preached don’t feed message as have others but it has never been observed for resaons best known to others..

Whatever genie seems to be out of the bottle

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Jib the only Scottish football bet he done was Celtic getting hammered by Barcelona.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Belfast
    Givvus the other 43 bets.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM

I always wondered about Barton’s red card against Liverpool when he took Xavi Alonso out much to Shearer’s chagrin.
    All becomes clear now
    😀

• Ian Toon

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:13 PM

magscar- Are you around?

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:16 PM

RANGERS midfielder Joey Barton has been hit with an SFA notice of complaint over betting on football matches.

The Ibrox midfielder is charged with placing bets on 44 matches between July 1 and September 15.

Only one of the matches Barton is alleged to have placed a bet on related to Scottish football. That being for Celtic to lose by three goals or more to Barcelona.

The SFA has a strict no-betting policy on football games and if found guilty Barton could face a ban.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM

It really upsets me to think about how much corruption actually goes on in the game. Some of these Far East betting syndicates with huge turnovers could bribe some of the poorer paid players and match officials with life changing amounts and probably do.

To think about how clean the game actually is makes it far less attractive to watch and so it’s probably better to ignore what we can’t do anything about.

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Twas from the daily record jib.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Ian Toon,
    You obviously are so I’m going to ask you straight. Why are you keep posting under different usernames with the same gripes against the same posters, what are you trying to achieve,
    Do not deny it, sifting the wheat from the chaff, marauding runs, yer right, you’re and your. HOW can you keep denying this?

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Belfast
    I was going to make some remark about how easy it would be to get a 3rd party to place the bets – but on reflection I think Barton was probably unaware how stringent the SFA rules on betting are.

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I think a betting company dobbed him in after the Celtic game the crafty sods.

Must have won a few quid on that bet lol

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Belfist,
    The judge will have none of that, he’ll rely on the testimony of Paddy O’Reilly who heard it in O Malleys bar on good authority he twas bettin on matches of a dubious nature.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Jail man
    Change the f@cking record ffs

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:28 PM

So Jibberish,
    What was the point I was missing?

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:28 PM

with regard to Ian toon I meant

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Ian Toon

Magscar specifically listed you as among the posters he has little time for just the other day.
    Perhaps you think he was insincere, and threw you under the bus to get himself out of a spot.
    I do too.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Jail
    The point of the post was a big HOORAY for Mrs Rafa who has payed for 40 deprived Liverpool kids to go to Disney World but you chose to use it to have a pop at me in your normal pig ignorant fashion.

• Bobbybee

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Betty, I had a discussion on here a long time since, where I was assured there was no corruption in the English game, only abroad. Having laughed for several minutes, I replied that this country is rife with corruption and wherever there’s money, there’s corruption – not just Johnny Foreigner. Can’t even remember who it was and it’s not important. You sadly can’t seperate money and power from corruption in any walk of life. I’m just surprised they’ve kept it covered up for this long and I have zero sympathy for anybody who’s caught.
    Gambling though is a different issue. For some it’s an addiction and addicts are bombarded with adverts for gambling around sports. The disclaimer they use – ‘when the fun stops; stop’ is a joke for those caught up in it. It’s tantermount to saying to an alcoholic or heroin addict to stop when the fun stops – if only they could.

• Ron Knee

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:43 PM

‘Payed’???

• Ian Toon

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Jail- Sorry but as Welsh said you wouldn’t make a good detective. “ploughing the wheat from the chaff” is widely used – but clearly not by you. Magscar made the same observation. It really is a tenuous link. As is the latest attempt to make a link with me- has it occurred to you that you’re yet again wrong. As for me disappearing I had said I planned to catch up on sleep buster.

Magscar- In my absence I see the blog has been treated to yet another sanctimonious pretence to moral superiority. I would mention that Ed has not found a causal link involving me and frequently has suggested I just ignore the bloggers concerned.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Jib,
    Is it normal practice to congratulate somebody’s kindness by falsely pointing out someone else’s supposed greed, a simple well done Mrs Benitez would have done

• Ian Toon

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM

BandB- Hi-please explain.

• Ian Toon

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:47 PM

I am leaving in 5 minutes.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Ian

Your phrase “ploughing the the wheat from the chaff” – done as a Google search in parenthesis – yields ONE result. On the whole wide world of the internet.
    You are mixing your farming metaphors. Tsk!
    It really is a tenuous link….

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM

You are always dashing off these days aren’t you?
    I imagine you are much in demand.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:54 PM

But you and carl used sifting Ian, and no, it’s not a commonly used blog term when deciding who’s posts we deem worthy and those not.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Apologies to Australians who are probably totally befuddled after the 1st two paragraphs of this explanation
    😀

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Bobby…….. Apparently the Telegraph have some more stuff about corrupt match officials which they are deliberating whether or not to publish. As you say where there is money there is always greed and corruption but I would hate to think our game could end up like Athletics which is now not worth watching. I used to quite enjoy watching the athletics until it became awash with drug cheats, again due to the money involved.

Some of the refereeing decisions we see even in the PL makes you wonder what’s going on but I really hate to think that the game is completely rotten.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM

15carl // Jul 17, 2016 at 9:07 AM

“I do read with my own mediation to avoid tedious repetition, inaccuracy and babble and in ploughing through do sift the wheat from the chaff”

53Ian Toon // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM

So it’s well worth the effort ploughing through sifting out the wheat from the chaff.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Jail

What Ian grasps and you don’t is that being a shameless deployer of sock puppets is not fatal when there are a few who regard them as welcome “evidence” of the “silent majority.”

There are three people bang on about the silent majority. Ian, Jib…..and Magscar.

Claiming to speak for a silent majority – that naturally agrees with them – always was the tool of demagogues, phoneys and rogues.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Mischief making again – I suspect he wants to have a pop at me using Magscar to use as an outlet for his mischief.
    Ian Toon – give it up man – you’ve been outed by your peers, your goose has been well and truly cooked and on top of that you’ve been caught with your pants down – not just down but around your ankles.
    Give it up – stop your mischief on the blog – you’ve been outed give it up for the sake of the blog and other people who use this facility.
    Your ambitions to be blog boss/blog supremo disappeared down the drain many moons ago – just like any hope you had of being a writer.
    Man – employ your energies elsewhere – maybe check out the situations vacant at your local Asda or Tesco.
    Give it up you scally.

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Jail for Ashley
    deciding who’s posts we deem worthy and those not.

pompous pillock

• Jib

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:04 PM

whoops
    anally retentive has arrived
    watch your bottoms everyone !

1 2 3 5