Newcastle’s Phenomenal Fan Support In Full View

The average home gate at league games at St. James’ Park so far this season is very close to 50,000 and that’s not bad for a second division team.

And maybe our last home game against Norwich was close to the Istanbul miracle Rafa Benitez pulled off with Liverpool back in 2005 when they were 3-0 down at half time came back to be 3-3 after 90 minutes and win by penalties after extra time.

Last Wednesday night Newcastle were behind 3-2 going into at least six minutes of stoppage time and we scored in the 5th minute and 6th minute to win the game 4-3 – and that was against a top promotion contender in Norwich City.

rafa-benitez-rotherham

Rafa Benitez at the New York Stadium last Saturday

So we gained all 3 points in the last two minutes stoppage time.

If you wrote that in  a fictional story it would not pass muster – because it’s just too unrealistic.

🙂

Well maybe nor if it’s Roy of the Rovers?

But that’s Rafa Benitez – a bone fide world-class manager and he’s got the Newcastle players believing in themselves, playing well and building a winning attitude.

Hopefully the team will keep improving as the season progresses.

And our next road game at Barnsley will have 5,500 traveling fans in attendance with the club announcing the away allocation is completely sold out.

The road games at Fulham, Bristol City, Derby County, Aston Villa and Rotherham all had full support from traveling Newcastle fans with the allocation of away tickets being completely sold out.

After winning just two games on the road last season and getting just 9 points in 19 games we have already amassed 13 points from our first six road games this season.

That’s the definition of a transformation and Rafa is getting the job done on Tyneside and we are nicely positioned in 3rd place in the Championship after 11 games played, the first two of which we lost.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

Long may it all continue and we promise to (at try to) keep our feet on the ground.

Howay The Lads!!

• sing in the corner

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Once again, the utmost respect is due to our fantastic away following. Truly amazing, committed (or should be) bunch.
    Crackers the lot of em..

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Yay!! Fresh start on this thread hopefully.

I’m really struggling to pick the next Rafa bingo because we have such a strong squad. I’ve only got close once (10/11), but now it’s even more difficult. Does he start with Ritchie and Gouffran? What does that mean for Atsu? I mean, I understand that Atsu only played one game for us, but he was the difference in class. However Ritchie is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, and Gouffran is undropabble with the way he is playing. I feel like this team would be best since Diame is underperforming at the minute. This would be my team. Not confirming though just incase of injuries.

Darlow
    Yedlin_Lascelles_Clark_Lazaar
    Hayden_Shelvey
    Atsu_Gouffran_Ritchie
    Gayle

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM

BandB,

email me will ya? if I don’t go to Jamaica for my bday in feb, ill probhead that way for a toon game, and will def look a few of ya’s up…

no hurricane here btw… I’m in texas… but thanks for asking, got a friend in harms way in Georgia.. worried for him..

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Incredible support (Hopefully one day I can be a part of it).

HWTL

• Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM

I think Diame is picked behind Gayle in large part to get sufficiently close to him to act as a target man. Picked to provide the physical presence up top we sacrifice when we play Gayle instead of Mitrovic. Not so sure it’s functioning as well as anticipated. Of course it may come good as Diame adjusts to what is a new role for him.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM

YMFB…….. You are part of it by posting on here. Have you ever been to SJP?

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM

I can’t Dok.
    I did a kind of “uuurgh, stand on a chair” thing and deleted it when bettyswallocks (Mungo MacAlpine Chod-Hamilton X1) left a slug trail across it.
    I will be in touch.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM

sitc.
    If I make it home on the correct date I’ve got four games on the trot, already got tickets for Barnsley and Preston away and will be home for Ipswich and Preston in the cup.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM

ok…. I have the same one however…

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM

I hate you jail lol… I mean that in an envious way of course.. 🙂

• Belfast

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Hopefully no sifting the wheat from the chaff on this bus after what happened the last time.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM

You should come over Dok.
    The original Wild West is right here.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Jimmy

I really hope it does come good because Rafa seems set on playing Diame in the number 10. Even after poor games he is consistently starting so I’m certain Rafa sees it as a winning philosophy once (as you say) Diame learns his new role. At least Diame is getting chances, he will get his goal soon.

Betty

Thanks, I don’t really do much over where I live in terms of support. I mean, I watch every game I can and if there is no broadcast I will listen on the radio but I really want to support them more. No, unfortunately I have never been to SJP but it’s something that will definately happen, I talk about it alot with my brother and we’ll arrange it one weekend for sure. I really want to get a feel of the atmosphere, it must be crazy. Love this club!! HWTL.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Anyway, I’ve had a fantastic time tonight, taking to other faceless blog avatars and trying to remember that there is actually a real human being behind them all.
    Which one will burn a trail of blog stardust across the midnight sky tonight?

• sing in the corner

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Blimey JfA..
    You must be buzzing! I’m aiming to make the Brentford and / or Ipswich, and the cup game.
    Haven’t been to an away game in a long while myself.
    But funnily enough Oakwell was one I recall from the 90s. Great atmosphere at away games. But all the toon fans congregated in a pub not far from the ground and trouble erupted when a load of Barnsley fans piled in and glasses started flying all over, not far from kick off time. Luckily me and my mate were stood next to the door and managed to exit quick when all hell broke loose and the polis arrived to respond with indiscriminate baton wielding.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Oh dear…

Anyway, bed time for me. Goodnight chaps!!

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM

BandB……. I actually quite like that name. When you said Mungo earlier I assumed you meant the thug from Blazing Saddles .

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Exchange of the evening.

58bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM

BandB…… Have you no washing up you can be getting on with?

60Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Betty
    Actually made me laugh so loud I startled the missus !

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Can one begin to imagine how depressing life would be in the swallocks and jeff households, if their partners were not as imaginary as their blog friends?

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Luckily, it’s about to pas into law as a hate crime.

Backdated.

And betty has been kind enough to provide me with an IP address.

Jeff is already known to the police.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Google it.

• Tsunki

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Hi everyone. Have I turned up at the right time for the Intervention?

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM

I’m just hanging on til’ midnight, when Mascar posts something apparently deep, then heads out on Thunder Road.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:36 PM

I might as well hang around as well and make the most of my freedom before I get arrested for hate crime.

• Graeme

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Jail, if yr cming down here for the Preston game – Fancy a beer??

• Mister Tuff

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Aye Tsunki – good evening – not much to report -been a pretty quiet uneventful night on the blog -not much happening at all.

• Tsunki

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Ah I see, good. Good.

I took a break this evening because I felt all the technical football talk was going to go straight over my head. Turns out I was right to, after all, then.

• Tsunki

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:45 PM

I’m sorry but it really made me laugh to see Rob turn up on cue like beetlejuice with the prescribed self-effacing, innocent, low key football-only comment. Acting like he really did just accidentally walk in on mum and dad…you know….ahem…play fighting…er….
    🙂

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM

I’ll get round to you betty.
    If you ever graduate from your “Qwite wight Frank” routine with bobby.
    But you won’t.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Sorry , you lost me there. Get round to me????

• Mister Tuff

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Most of us probably grew up with this – and was one of the ideals we based our adult lives upon – excluding the blog of course.
    Decent folk I mean – does not apply to “ya shyte and scumbags”.

• BandB

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:56 PM

There you stand, betty.
    With your little fists up. Doin’good.
    Keep em’ up, you little gobshite.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Wow. Now who’s getting personal . You’ve spouted more shite than most this evening, you’re probably speaking through your nose now as you’ve worn your mouth out.

• Offkey

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Missed it all again, disappointing!

• Jib

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:10 AM

Training pics from yesterdays session

A few random thoughts:-

From certain angles Karl Darlow is a dead ringer for a young Steven Taylor

Little Vurn is not with the Dutch squad

Murphy’s calf injury is on the mend

• Jib

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM

I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall this week at FA headquarters when they discussed which Championship matches to broadcast live.
    They must be kicking themselves that the NUFC v Norwich match slipped through their fingers !

• Jib

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM

• Jib

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:07 AM

Toon players who may be involved tonight

Ciaran Clark – Sky Sports 2 – ROI v Georgia
    Paul Dummett – Sky Sports 1 – Austria v Wales
    Aleksandar Mitrovic – Sky Sports 1 (red button) Moldova v Serbia

All matches 19.45

• Lindisfarne

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:16 AM

Raffa says “Pfft” and I would have to agree.

• magscar

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:08 AM

The dust having settled (temporarily I am sure) I had thought to leave the Blog even from a reading perspective and I still might. But it is the only regular contact I can have with NUFC fans given where I live so I have to endure I think.

However I already have little interplay with those who are regularly accused on here and far too much in engaging with others on non football matters so I withdraw from all of the non football nonsense and refuse to be drawn into castigating others.

There are to me clear indications that some want the divisions to remain and Ed shows no sign of intervening so you are welcome to that part of the Blog if you relish the fight.

For me I am going to try to steer clear of the rucks and leave it to those who enjoy it. Even in International weeks there is some football chat and I will look out for that. There are lots of posters with interesting contributions some I get others not but it is a rich tapestry.

I am sure some will say good riddance and I have to accept that they will think it.

I have no Blog mates although I have shared experiences with some but will not contribute where I feel conflict will arise if I do.

My life is too short at my age to get drawn into all of the nonsense . It is possibly symptomatic of football blogs and this is a giant of one so has more than most yet I can’t help but feel it is getting out of control (sorry Ed).

From time to time I go on other forums – VW, computer, audio video and such and there is never any of the vicious commentary that passes for chatting as on here.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves for not managing it better.

Ridicule me as much as you wish but that is how I am feeling so go ahead I won’t fight back.

Here is to my next football comment whenever it surfaces bye for now