The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Phenomenal Fan Support In Full View

10:24 pm, Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 91 Comments

The average home gate at league games at St. James’ Park so far this season is very close to 50,000 and that’s not bad for a second division team.

And maybe our last home game against Norwich was close to the Istanbul miracle Rafa Benitez pulled off with Liverpool back in 2005 when they were 3-0 down at half time came back to be 3-3 after 90 minutes and win by penalties after extra time.

Last Wednesday night Newcastle were behind 3-2 going into at least six minutes of stoppage time and we scored in the 5th minute and 6th minute to win the game 4-3 – and that was against a top promotion contender in Norwich City.

rafa-benitez-rotherham

Rafa Benitez at the New York Stadium last Saturday

So we gained all 3 points in the last two minutes stoppage time.

If you wrote that in  a fictional story it would not pass muster – because it’s just too unrealistic.

🙂

Well maybe nor if it’s Roy of the Rovers?

But that’s Rafa Benitez – a bone fide world-class manager and he’s got the Newcastle players believing in themselves, playing well and building a winning attitude.

Hopefully the team will keep improving as the season progresses.

And our next road game at Barnsley will have 5,500 traveling fans in attendance with the club announcing the away allocation is completely sold out.

The road games at Fulham, Bristol City, Derby County, Aston Villa and Rotherham all had full support from traveling Newcastle fans with the allocation of away tickets being completely sold out.

After winning just two games on the road last season and getting just 9 points in 19 games we have already amassed 13 points from our first six road games this season.

That’s the definition of a transformation and Rafa is getting the job done on Tyneside and we are nicely positioned in 3rd place in the Championship after 11 games played, the first two of which we lost.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle192140
2Brighton191739
3Reading19234
4Birmingham19231
5Sheffield Wednesday19131
6Norwich19430

Long may it all continue and we promise to (at try to) keep our feet on the ground.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

91 responses so far ↓

• 1 sing in the corner // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Once again, the utmost respect is due to our fantastic away following. Truly amazing, committed (or should be) bunch.
    Crackers the lot of em..

• 2 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Yay!! Fresh start on this thread hopefully.

I’m really struggling to pick the next Rafa bingo because we have such a strong squad. I’ve only got close once (10/11), but now it’s even more difficult. Does he start with Ritchie and Gouffran? What does that mean for Atsu? I mean, I understand that Atsu only played one game for us, but he was the difference in class. However Ritchie is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, and Gouffran is undropabble with the way he is playing. I feel like this team would be best since Diame is underperforming at the minute. This would be my team. Not confirming though just incase of injuries.

Darlow
    Yedlin_Lascelles_Clark_Lazaar
    Hayden_Shelvey
    Atsu_Gouffran_Ritchie
    Gayle

• 3 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM

BandB,

email me will ya? if I don’t go to Jamaica for my bday in feb, ill probhead that way for a toon game, and will def look a few of ya’s up…

no hurricane here btw… I’m in texas… but thanks for asking, got a friend in harms way in Georgia.. worried for him..

• 4 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Incredible support (Hopefully one day I can be a part of it).

HWTL

• 5 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM

I think Diame is picked behind Gayle in large part to get sufficiently close to him to act as a target man. Picked to provide the physical presence up top we sacrifice when we play Gayle instead of Mitrovic. Not so sure it’s functioning as well as anticipated. Of course it may come good as Diame adjusts to what is a new role for him.

• 6 bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM

YMFB…….. You are part of it by posting on here. Have you ever been to SJP?

• 7 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM

I can’t Dok.
    I did a kind of “uuurgh, stand on a chair” thing and deleted it when bettyswallocks (Mungo MacAlpine Chod-Hamilton X1) left a slug trail across it.
    I will be in touch.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM

sitc.
    If I make it home on the correct date I’ve got four games on the trot, already got tickets for Barnsley and Preston away and will be home for Ipswich and Preston in the cup.

• 9 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM

ok…. I have the same one however…

• 10 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM

I hate you jail lol… I mean that in an envious way of course.. 🙂

• 11 Belfast // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Hopefully no sifting the wheat from the chaff on this bus after what happened the last time.

• 12 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM

You should come over Dok.
    The original Wild West is right here.

• 13 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Jimmy

I really hope it does come good because Rafa seems set on playing Diame in the number 10. Even after poor games he is consistently starting so I’m certain Rafa sees it as a winning philosophy once (as you say) Diame learns his new role. At least Diame is getting chances, he will get his goal soon.

Betty

Thanks, I don’t really do much over where I live in terms of support. I mean, I watch every game I can and if there is no broadcast I will listen on the radio but I really want to support them more. No, unfortunately I have never been to SJP but it’s something that will definately happen, I talk about it alot with my brother and we’ll arrange it one weekend for sure. I really want to get a feel of the atmosphere, it must be crazy. Love this club!! HWTL.

• 14 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Anyway, I’ve had a fantastic time tonight, taking to other faceless blog avatars and trying to remember that there is actually a real human being behind them all.
    Which one will burn a trail of blog stardust across the midnight sky tonight?

• 15 sing in the corner // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Blimey JfA..
    You must be buzzing! I’m aiming to make the Brentford and / or Ipswich, and the cup game.
    Haven’t been to an away game in a long while myself.
    But funnily enough Oakwell was one I recall from the 90s. Great atmosphere at away games. But all the toon fans congregated in a pub not far from the ground and trouble erupted when a load of Barnsley fans piled in and glasses started flying all over, not far from kick off time. Luckily me and my mate were stood next to the door and managed to exit quick when all hell broke loose and the polis arrived to respond with indiscriminate baton wielding.

• 16 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Oh dear…

Anyway, bed time for me. Goodnight chaps!!

• 17 bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM

BandB……. I actually quite like that name. When you said Mungo earlier I assumed you meant the thug from Blazing Saddles .

• 18 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Exchange of the evening.

58bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM

BandB…… Have you no washing up you can be getting on with?

60Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Betty
    Actually made me laugh so loud I startled the missus !

• 19 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Can one begin to imagine how depressing life would be in the swallocks and jeff households, if their partners were not as imaginary as their blog friends?

• 20 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Luckily, it’s about to pas into law as a hate crime.

Backdated.

And betty has been kind enough to provide me with an IP address.

Jeff is already known to the police.

• 21 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Google it.

• 22 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Hi everyone. Have I turned up at the right time for the Intervention?

• 23 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM

I’m just hanging on til’ midnight, when Mascar posts something apparently deep, then heads out on Thunder Road.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:36 PM

I might as well hang around as well and make the most of my freedom before I get arrested for hate crime.

• 25 Graeme // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Jail, if yr cming down here for the Preston game – Fancy a beer??

• 26 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Aye Tsunki – good evening – not much to report -been a pretty quiet uneventful night on the blog -not much happening at all.

• 27 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Ah I see, good. Good.

I took a break this evening because I felt all the technical football talk was going to go straight over my head. Turns out I was right to, after all, then.

• 28 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:45 PM

I’m sorry but it really made me laugh to see Rob turn up on cue like beetlejuice with the prescribed self-effacing, innocent, low key football-only comment. Acting like he really did just accidentally walk in on mum and dad…you know….ahem…play fighting…er….
    🙂

• 29 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM

I’ll get round to you betty.
    If you ever graduate from your “Qwite wight Frank” routine with bobby.
    But you won’t.

• 30 bettyswallocks // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Sorry , you lost me there. Get round to me????

• 31 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Most of us probably grew up with this – and was one of the ideals we based our adult lives upon – excluding the blog of course.
    Decent folk I mean – does not apply to “ya shyte and scumbags”.

• 32 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:56 PM

There you stand, betty.
    With your little fists up. Doin’good.
    Keep em’ up, you little gobshite.

• 33 bettyswallocks // Oct 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Wow. Now who’s getting personal . You’ve spouted more shite than most this evening, you’re probably speaking through your nose now as you’ve worn your mouth out.

• 34 Offkey // Oct 6, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Missed it all again, disappointing!

• 35 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:10 AM

Training pics from yesterdays session

A few random thoughts:-

From certain angles Karl Darlow is a dead ringer for a young Steven Taylor

Little Vurn is not with the Dutch squad

Murphy’s calf injury is on the mend

• 36 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM

I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall this week at FA headquarters when they discussed which Championship matches to broadcast live.
    They must be kicking themselves that the NUFC v Norwich match slipped through their fingers !

• 37 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM

Nope Anita’s not there.

• 38 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:07 AM

Toon players who may be involved tonight

Ciaran Clark – Sky Sports 2 – ROI v Georgia
    Paul Dummett – Sky Sports 1 – Austria v Wales
    Aleksandar Mitrovic – Sky Sports 1 (red button) Moldova v Serbia

All matches 19.45

• 39 Lindisfarne // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:16 AM

Raffa says “Pfft” and I would have to agree.

• 40 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:08 AM

The dust having settled (temporarily I am sure) I had thought to leave the Blog even from a reading perspective and I still might. But it is the only regular contact I can have with NUFC fans given where I live so I have to endure I think.

However I already have little interplay with those who are regularly accused on here and far too much in engaging with others on non football matters so I withdraw from all of the non football nonsense and refuse to be drawn into castigating others.

There are to me clear indications that some want the divisions to remain and Ed shows no sign of intervening so you are welcome to that part of the Blog if you relish the fight.

For me I am going to try to steer clear of the rucks and leave it to those who enjoy it. Even in International weeks there is some football chat and I will look out for that. There are lots of posters with interesting contributions some I get others not but it is a rich tapestry.

I am sure some will say good riddance and I have to accept that they will think it.

I have no Blog mates although I have shared experiences with some but will not contribute where I feel conflict will arise if I do.

My life is too short at my age to get drawn into all of the nonsense . It is possibly symptomatic of football blogs and this is a giant of one so has more than most yet I can’t help but feel it is getting out of control (sorry Ed).

From time to time I go on other forums – VW, computer, audio video and such and there is never any of the vicious commentary that passes for chatting as on here.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves for not managing it better.

Ridicule me as much as you wish but that is how I am feeling so go ahead I won’t fight back.

Here is to my next football comment whenever it surfaces bye for now

• 41 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:14 AM

magscar

It’s OK I’ll be your friend mate, and I like talking football too, and well err OK I may get drawn into the occasional ruck.

As for the football! See Joey is in trouble again, wounder what the odds are on him getting a football ban, time for him to retire maybe?

• 42 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:20 AM

See Rafa is in contention for manager of the month.

• 43 expatmag // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:21 AM

MAGSCAR

Where do you live?

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:29 AM

NUFC.come seem to think Big Vurn is in their.
    Vurnon Anita, Siem De Jong (Netherlands):
    Fri 07.10.2016 Belarus (h) Rotterdam WCQ
    Mon 10.10.2016 France (h) Amsterdam WCQ

• 45 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:32 AM

Firebug

Not looking for friends but tx

Expat

Village in North Yorks not as far away as you nor as warm most of the time but I am settled here and generally like the quiet life. As you are aware it is very difficult to shake of NUFC when it bites (who would want to). My family were born away from Tyneside as I moved with work but they are Fans as well with one of my Grandsons now a proud member of Toon Army at games at least for this season.

There are a lot of plusses in life and I know mine.

• 46 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Expat I think he’s gone.
    From memory the Cleveland hills near Ravenscar hence his handle

• 47 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM

whoops

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Nope,
    He was on the list last week but has missed out. Looks like SDJ has broken again.

• 49 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM

magscar

I’m crushed 😀

Jib are you a stalker? Bet you know everyone post code and what they had for breakfast lmao.

• 50 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:39 AM

Jail
    NUFC.com also have the Cuba v USA match as tonight – it’s actually the morra

• 51 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:40 AM

Firebug

On Joey he is his own worst enemy and he knows it 🙂

Haven’t dipped into the latest fuss but superficially unless involved in the matches I am not too sure he has done much wrong? Rules are rules though so if he has broken them well he will be punished.

He is an easy guy to fall out with i would think and I have a jaundiced view of his time here but can’t help keeping up with what he has to say. I actually have access to his book but haven’t yet dipped into it – unlikely to have time to read it but his take on our lot will be interesting I am sure.

We are a club which not only gets into fans blood but many ex players as well.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:40 AM

That’s a shame I was made up for Vurn

• 53 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Firebug

My location came up in a conversation to which Jib was party he is wrong but no dig by me. He was making calculated sensible deductions.

I am not yet senile enough to give my particular location away on the internet 🙂

• 54 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Jail
    Danny Blind has taken a hammering in the Dutch media for his selections.
    It’s not just us English that slaughter our national manager.
    😀

• 55 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:46 AM

magscar

We are a likeable lot around the world mate, and as we all know Newcastle gets into the blood, it’s not surprising that player who come and go speak so highly of the club and it’s fans, especially the fans.

I agree Joey is his own worst enemy, but I can’t help liking the guy, something is always happening around him, usually of his own making, but hey that’s Joey Barton.

• 56 Belfast // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Just been sifting the the wheat from the chaff and can confirm for the first time in history Jail for Ashley made it into the wheat category last night.

We’ll done Jail.

• 57 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Magscar
    Your witness protection addy is safe with me.

😎

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM

magscar,
    Isn’t it bizarre how those that thought Ashley was doing a good job as we suffered record losses to our rivals, multiple 5+ hidings, relegation, near relegations and a stated policy not to win cups have a jaundiced view of Joey Barton where as those who thought Ashley should and could be doing a better job like the way Barton spoke up.

• 59 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Belfast

See what you did there – hope to join the wheat brigade myself 🙂

• 60 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Jail
    Not interested sorry

• 61 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Magscar

• 62 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Except my view preceded his time with us and I didn’t want him here but got over it.

• 63 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:55 AM

magscar

I like Joey for us to be honest, we needed a bit of a loose cannon on the pitch, someone to get stuck in and get the job done, and he gave us that. Him and Nolan were a formidable force in our midfield, shame we never had another 9 to go with them. 😀

• 64 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Jib

I never click links unless a clear article one that interests me but I made an exception – don’t get it 🙁

Anway have to go. I have wasted far too much time on here in last day or so to no avail and need to recognise that me and mine have a life to get on with which is more rewarding. My fault I know.

• 65 Ron Knee // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM

Aarons back in a few weeks, apparently:-

• 66 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:01 AM

magscar

Aye life gets difficult on the blog, when you put on your white collar and remove the controversy from all conversation you realise that you actually have nothing left to say. Sad really as I like your posts.

Differing views will always be controversial marra, so you will always have that on this blog, hope to see you back soon fighting fit.

• 67 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Ron

It would be nice to see what Aarons is capable of under Rafa, but a big question mark hovers over him staying fit for more than a couple of weeks. Let’s hope this time is different.

• 68 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Barton was sentenced to six months in jail for assaulting a young lad in Liverpool over Xmas 2007 (he actually did 11 weeks) Ashley could have terminated his contract but stuck by him (and paid him over £300,000 in wages ) and all Barton could do was bite the hand that fed him to curry favour with the fans.
    Not a nice guy IMHO !

• 69 Ron Knee // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:05 AM

firebug

Yes, I was going to add: but for how long!

• 70 expatmag // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:06 AM

MAGSCAR

Lovely area. We stayed in a lovely little village about 20 miles north of York on the A19 a few years back.

Just behind the village was a hill with a chalk horse imprinted in it.

Unfortunately, the view was spoiled by Middlesnrough team photos syuck in the upstairs bedroom window of the house next door……lol

• 71 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Magscar
    It’s Darnell – a character in “My name is Earl” who is on a witness protection programme.
    (well that fell flat)

• 72 Ron Knee // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:08 AM

Jeff/Jib with a “humble” opinion. That’s a new one!

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:08 AM

firebug666,
    No one is looking for a row this morning after last night but you can’t have it both ways. To leave a statement on a terrace anti hero that a lot of fans have a soft spot for speaking out the way we were being run, then to say I’m not getting involved is a bit unfair and not how a blog works.

• 74 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Kilburn white horse

• 75 Ian Toon // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:12 AM

magscar- The nufc blog focus group recently announced that you are in the Know or wheat classification.

Don’t let the Barstewards win.

• 76 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Jail

I agree mate, like I said I like Joey, he is controversy on legs, and yes he did get jail time for assault jib, but as we don’t know the ins and outs of what happened who are we to judge. Fights happen in and outside of nightclubs all the time marra, he was judged, did his time and moved on.

• 77 firebug666 // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Have to go out now anyway. Doctors.

• 78 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Expat

Used to stay around that area when I was a nipper with the grandparents.
    Always played a game of spot the horse on the way and that’s when me and the younger brother knew we were close (are we there yet)

Funnily enough I was thinking about that the other day, might take my kids to see it soon.

• 79 expatmag // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:16 AM

JIB

Unless certain disciplinary conditions were written into his contract, Ashley had very little options but to play pay and keep Barton so it is probably not the best course of action to play the sympathy vote for Ashley in this case

• 80 expatmag // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:21 AM

AC

We were only there one night but we went off to a really nice little village closer to the horse and had a great pib meal. Unfortunately I cant remember the names now

• 81 Ian Toon // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Jib- I had always given Joey time because I thought he had more of interest to say off the field. Your comment, theory re him deliberately getting sent off to punish Shearer was something I had not considered
    previously. He did have a brilliant, trouble free season under Sean Dyche I guess I view him as someone old enough not to be constantly exercising the wrong option.

• 82 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:23 AM

I’m not playing the sympathy vote.
    I was sure at the time that Ashley had his own agenda – I remember the PFA’s Gordon Taylor being interviewed by Sky at the time and Taylor was gobsmacked that the club kept him on.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM

expat

can you remember the pib

• 84 magscar // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:28 AM

I never learn looked to see what Jib would enlighten me with and catch Jail as well 🙂

On Earl my son use to rave about it but I never got into it so didn’t recognise character or significance but tx for clarification would have bothered me all morning – folk mebbe laughing at me I didn’t realise – So what’s new

Expat

Can’t pin point spot you were at but Jib is right about Millburn.

It is great area but we are blessed in this country, better and more consistent weather and we would never go anywhere 🙂

Wouldn’t change the seasons though!

Jail

Joey along with Bowyer and Woodgate were players I didn’t want because of their baggage but as with managers tried to get behind them as best I could. I am interested in what he has to say because it is NUFC but I am also well aware that I might need a pinch of salt. Nolan was more important to keeping the club in balance at that time e along with Smith and goalie (name escapes me) and haven’t time to think

Bye again

• 85 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Expat I don’t know about Australian employment law – but in the UK a custodial sentence can and usually does result in termination of employment.

It is called frustration of contract.

He cannot complete the terms of his contract of employmnt with NUFC – viz, playing football – because he’s sitting in a cell.

In the UK the ball is defo in the employers court.

• 86 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Might have had something to do with his 7M value at the time.

• 87 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Rotonda sounds like the character off ‘ello ‘ello

Can yoo remember the pib – ha ha ha

• 88 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM

The Forresters probably

• 89 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Jail
    Perhaps – but he was released on a free anyway

• 90 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM

I’m not sure but under the cirumstances the club could probably have claimed his value – in part at least – on their insurance.

• 91 expatmag // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM

MAGSCAR

Just checked my google maps and he place we stayed at was Thormanby and we had dinner in a nice little pub in Carlton Husthwaite

previous post: Joey Barton In Hot Water With Scottish FA