The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

To Work Under Rafa Benitez Has Been Unbelievable

9:09 am, Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 45 Comments

It seems that DeAndre is looking to stay at Newcastle for a long time and of course he did sign a five year deal when he signed on for us in August and jumped at the chance to join a team managed by Rafa Benitez.

He also had lived close to Newcastle (just across the Centennial bridge in Gateshead) during his loan spell at Sunderland last season and had got to liking the City a lot and he also learned just how big a club Newcastle is.

DeAndre Yedlin in action for Newcastle
It looks like he’s taking a rest

DeAndre is a very good young player whose innate potential can hopefully be fully developed at Newcastle through the expert coaching of Rafa Benitez.

He still has a lot to learn of course and he knows that, but he seems so keen to get better and is delighted to be working under Rafa Benitez.

DeAndre started off talking to the local press by explaining why he had signed for Newcastle in the second division:

“Especially as a younger player, this league is great as there are so many games.” “It’s a great move for me to come here, and working under Rafa has been unbelievable.”

“Obviously, it’s something that I thought about, but at the end of the day I had to make the best decision for me.

“That’s what I did. I have nothing against Sunderland. I had a great experience there, and made great friends there, but now I’m at Newcastle, and that’s where my focus is.”

“Getting back to the North East was a big factor in my decision. When I first came to London, it was a bit different to what I’d expected.”

“I thought moving to a big city would be a very cool thing for me. But Seattle’s not the biggest city.”

“It’s more like Newcastle. I think I’m more comfortable here. That was a big factor in my decision.”

Last season he played 23 times for Sunderland in the league and in addition two cup games, so he played quite a lot of games last season, especially near the end when it really mattered.

So far this season Yedlin has played 6 times for Newcastle, including 3 starts as he filled in extremely well when Vurnon Anita was out suspended.

DeAndre could have a really great future at Newcastle.

Hope so.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Press

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM

I think we have the makings of a very good squad. Four quality additions when we return to the PL should see us comfortably push for eighth while taking the cups very seriously.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:27 AM

I think we need a top quality striker, 20M would get Bony. A top LW and a World class DM. Is Lazaar the top LB we’ve been after for a while though.

• 3 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Ayoze Perez coaches local schoolgirls

His cousin is a well known lady footballer in the Canaries

• 4 Budge123 // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Jail – 20m might well get Bony but would still leave us short of a top quality striker!

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:40 AM

You don’t rate him then. I think he’d get 20 in a good team, another case of City buying for the sake of it.

• 6 hibbit // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM

if we have the money Rafa will find and buy the players he wents / needs

lets hope its for the prem

• 7 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Post Brexit can Newcastle twin with Seattle, or do we already have a North American counterbalance.

• 8 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I am looking forward to seeing the tall Danish striker that plays for Preston. If he has a good game against us, Rafa should be looking at taking him in January.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Would you have Bony at the club.

• 10 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM

I would rather take a potential top quality striker, hungry to establish themselves. Rather than a top tier forward scrambling to reestablish previous success.

• 11 Budge123 // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Looks like he is going through the motions at Stoke now that his pockets are lined with Cities money?

Plus he’d be another away at future Africa cup of nations – getting a few in that category now

• 12 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I’m not having a pop at any particular poster on here – there are a few banging the “must get a new striker” drum.

I think it is by no means a priority for the club.

We have the leagues top scorer plus Murphy Mitrovic Gouffran Perez and wingers and midfielders who score regularly !

We are top of the Leagues attack table

One poster gets a bee in the bonnet and the rest follow suit.

• 13 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Bony would have been great the first time we registered an interest. That type of good young player, Bony, Aubemeyang, Remy, that we couldn’t get over the line, we will be able to once we’re back with Rafa, and we will quickly be a top 8 proposition. Top 6 is hard, with the money the senior clubs put into building their squads, but top 8 could happen as soon as next season.

• 14 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Anita, Gouffran and Tiote are out of contract at the end of the season and what should the club do?

IMO they are all not suitable for the PL and potentially should be sold in January, in order to return some revenue for reinvestment. However, they are also capable of playing a positive role in the squad this season and helping to ensure promotion.

• 15 Spoof // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Early stages of the season, but so far the positives have been Gayle, here to score and he has been doing so.

Shelvey, undoubted ability but consistency was a concern, unfounded concerns as he has been terrific.

Lascellas was for me a concern as I thought too much was being asked from such a young player who had hardly played for us pre-Rafa, perhaps a shaky start but being dropped was just the anti-dote that he needed.

Dummett has been a big disappointment, not Paul himself as he has been as consistent and reliable as ever, but these fans who constantly defy all the recent manager’s and the current manager by continually seeing poor performances in him when he has been solid, how many times does Rafa have to play the lad and even when Rafa made him captain these no nothing’s still defy Rafa and knock the lad, hang your heads in shame.

Diame was supposed to be the new, better and more consistent Sissoko, well so far he has been more consistent than Sissoko as occasionally we did get a performance out of Sissoko but as yet we haven’t out of Diame, he has been consistently poor.

As bad as Diame has been he isn’t for me the tragedy of the season so far, for me that title has got to go to Ritchie, why on earth is such a good and consistently good player not plying his trade in the PL, that is a tragedy, but it is a tragedy which I can live with.

Mitro is pretty much as I expected as I did state more than once my concerns for him under Rafa seeing that Rafa usually prefers a quicker mobile striker rather than a target man if he is only going to play one striker which is what he does prefer, so Mitro being a bit part player is no surprise to me at all, so why we signed Murphy rather than another quick and mobile striker to challenge Gayle was a puzzler, unless Rafa feels that Perez is enough to keep Gayle on his toes.

So there’s my thoughts on the season so far, anyone wish to follow suit please do so, Ill read them when I get out of bed, night shift is a bugger, night all.

As for the rest the jury imho is still out but Hayden and Yedlin

• 16 Spoof // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Hayden and Yedlin seem to be the pick of the bunch

• 17 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Dwight Gayle is(?) the league top scorer after a quarter of the season but does not yet have the hero status on this blog. He certainly has the right experience, potential and ability to see him promoted to this status and continue through in the PL. It is strange that he provokes discussion about him needing to be in a pair or play in behind, but that may be because of his 50/50 conversion rate.

• 18 Average_Contents // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I wasn’t aware that Tammy Abraham played for us.

Am I even allowed to point this out or is it unfair?

Best leave it eh, just incase.

• 19 Budge123 // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Spoof I won’t be hanging my head in shame I think Dummett is shite.
    My opinion is based on what I see at the games I attend.
    His passing is woeful. He slows breaks down our attacking moves and for a left back who can’t attack he loses his man far too often when defending.

• 20 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Jimmy you have your blind spots as well
    you say:-
    “fans who constantly defy all the recent manager’s and the current manager by continually seeing poor performances in him ”

with regard to Dummett.

but you do the same with Diamé.

He hasn’t eexactly knocked doors out of windows yet but he has only been here since August and has put in some good performances and is improving.

• 21 Spoof // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Well in that case we should sack Rafa as he continuously plays him and has had him as captain, but what does Rafa know compared to the fountain of football knowledge called Budge123, on that note good night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 22 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Whoops — said the wrong poster —- for Jimmy read Spoof !

• 23 Lindisfarne // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM

I hope Dummett does not model himself on Bale, that would be extremely delusional, as it is, the self proclamation that his long term future is as a fullback is worrying. He is a central defender in making.

• 24 Spoof // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM

concentrate, my name is Spoof not Jimmy, be careful or we will start asking you questions, remember yesterday lol

On a serious note I did say the season so far, a hell of a lot can change, but serious I really am off to bed now.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Not sure if you read my posts but I was referring to our return to the PL and the four quality signings needed when we get there.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I think Anita will get a new deal.

• 27 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Ah OK Jail
    point taken

• 28 Budge123 // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Spoof why would you react like that?
    I can’t have a different opinion to Rafa is that your point.

That would make for a great blog – Rafa’s team is spot on . everything is perfect. We all think exactly the same.

as Jib pointed out your opinion differs on Diame. Or is it only you who can have a different opinion

• 29 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM

However there were people talking about getting a striker this January !

• 30 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM

I think Anita will get a new deal hes actually a really good right back him and Yedlin should give us proper quality and competition for a fair few seasons while Sterry and Mbabu develop on loan for another season or 2 !

Not as big a fan of him in midfield though especially when played with Colback……

• 31 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I can see Benitez having another crazy summer of players being signed particularly at youth level

• 32 hibbit // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:24 AM

i would have Bony but not even sure he would be on Rafa’s list

• 33 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I think lack of options keeps dummett in the side more than anything. Being a perfectly serviceable championship lb when he is made to stick to his remit gets us through games reasonably adequately.

• 34 Mister Tuff // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Used to like Wilfried Bony couple of years back – but currently do not think he does enough. He has skill and knows were the net is but I think he is not a very mobile player – stands around a lot – waiting for the ball to be put on a plate for him. So thumbs down from me.

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM

I don’t know why anyone would want the Gouff sold in January for the sake of bringing in one or two million quid, he is arguably one of our best performers this season.

• 36 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM

@Jail for Ashley

I can see Gouffran getting another year or 2 as well decent squad player for when we go back up for the first season as will give 100% and play to instruction ! His confidence will be sky high by then 🙂

Defensively we look covered for going back up its in central midfield where we need extra quality we only have Shelvey who can create so we need a no 10 and a couple of other midfielders for depth

As you said before 4 premier league quality players and a few pacy youngsters would sort us out for next season

• 37 Bobbybee // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Jail, the only anyone who matters is Rafa and I can’t imagine he’d sell The Gouff in January. As you point out, he’s been a revelation and certainly one of our most consistent performers this season. I don’t believe we’ve lost when he’s started. Canny record. I’d still like to see him just behind the main striker though, where those instinctive shots are more often produced.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I’ve always stuck up for the Gouff, he’s an honest hard working properly and I predicted he’d do well for us in the Championship but I don’t think he will or should get another deal with us if we get promoted. He is just the type of player that we can upgrade, hopefully he will have done enough to earn a nice little two or three years elsewhere.

• 39 Bobbybee // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Nice to see another of my tips going forward has been called up alongside Arma for England U20’s – winger Callum Roberts. This is great for the lad and good for Newcastle. For those who may not know, Roberts is a quick tricky winger who can cut inside and launch one – hence his recent goals – or nip outside and deliver a good cross. He has a good range of passing and has, as mentioned, added goals to his game more recently. Physically he reminds me of Darren Ambrose – he could almost be his son. 🙂 Great news for the lad, who could still breakthrough to the first team squad this season.

• 40 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM

@Jail For Ashley

Yes by all means upgrade but what happens when the upgrade gets injured or needs rotated ? Its unlikely we will sign 2 top quality left wingers for example next summer

Another season while hopefully Aarons is ready by then to take his place ! Although he needs a loan and to stop getting injured !

• 41 Pat On The Heed // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:08 PM

We’ve been winning despite gouffran not because of him. Countless goals conceded over the years after he’s squandered possession, conceded a pen or failed to track his man. Couple of goals – respect for that, but he’s so uncertain -even with short range passing – its painful to watch. Wingers should attack not just play 5 a side safety passes until one goes astray and the opposition punish you.

• 42 Bobbybee // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Lee, or another season for Roberts to mature and make the step up. A slower starter than Aarons, but he’s making up for it lately. He’s been training with the first team squad lately, so Rafa must like what he sees. His runs can be very impressive and he has the final ball to his game just to cap them off.

• 43 hibbit // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Pat On The Heed

always thought you talked a load of bollocks now i know know it
    Gouffran has been by far our most consistent player this season and well worth his starting place

• 44 hibbit // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:33 PM

oh by the way Ian dont bother answering
    hiding behind your silly names stupid boy

• 45 Pat On The Heed // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Glad I made such an impression on you hobbit. I can’t say I remember noticing one of your comments before.

previous post: Former Defender Warns Newcastle Must Not Do This