The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend’s Father Puts Spin On Why Son Left Newcastle

12:49 pm, Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Politicians tend to put a spin on almost everything and even try to say they didn’t say something when there are often multiple pieces of evidence – like video of them saying it – that exist.

Andros Townsend’s father in the same kind of way today is trying to put a spin on why his son left Newcastle after we were relegated in May.

Andros would have loved to have stayed but ……

andros townsend rafa benitez spurs

Andros Townsend and Rafa Benitez

In fact Andros left in late June before pre-season training even started and he was taking care of his own interests and was the first of four big-name players who left Newcastle to remain in the Premier League.

Gini Wijnaldum, Daryl Janmaat and Moussa Sissoko would the other three.

Andros had every right to leave Newcastle and in fact it was written into his contract that he could leave if a club offered £13M which was £1M more than we paid for him from Tottenham.

Given how Rafa had resurrected the player, Andros was a bargain at just £13M after Newcastle had been accused of overpaying for him in January.

But you cannot have it both ways, so you cannot leave and then expect fans to still treat you with the same affection you had at the club  – or if you had stayed.

Here’s what Troy’s father Troy told TalkSport:

“It was a tug-of-war situation.” “I mean, Rafa done absolute wonders for him, ideally he would have loved to stay at the club.”

“But if you’re going to be noticed, if you’re going be recognized – obviously he had a massive disappointment in the summer missing out on the final Euro 2016 squad.”

“And if you’re going to get yourself back in the area that he wants to be, then unfortunately the Premier League is the only place to be.”

“That’s obviously disappointing for Newcastle fans.” (yes, that’s right)

Good try but no banana.

And to be fair to Andros he did work his socks off for us and was one of our very best players during the run-in,  which is even more reason why fans wanted him to stay for what we hope is just one season down below.

Newcastle fans admire players who are loyal to the club – like Vurnon Anita, Jonjo Shelvey and others who didn’t want to leave Newcastle and stayed loyal even through we took the drop.

Fans also admire some of our new players like Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle who dropped down from the Premier League to join Newcastle in the summer.

But it’s all done now and life goes on for both Andros and for Newcastle.

It will be interesting to see how Andros and the other three players who left us are doing in a couple of years time compared with how Newcastle are faring.

In fact it could become very interesting.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:56 PM

It looks like Alan Fraudew has done enough to turn it around and save his job for the time being so it looks like we’ll get to see Andros at SJP next season. It should be fun.

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 5, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Yeah seen a few little clips of Roberts reminds me of Gillespie him and Armstrong together would be great to see in the first team!

• 3 martoon // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM

As fans we only look through black & white eye balls but I suppose from his point of view Palace offered him a route back to the Premiership and back to London. He is back in the England squad so I guess you could say it has worked however I still think he could have shown some loyalty and given us one year!

• 4 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Anyone would have said the best of luck to him for doing what he was always going to do.
    If he hadn’t milked the plaudits for his Judas hug with Rafa and platitudes about staying to put things right…. before being first out of the door.

• 5 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM

It wasn’t being at any particular club that kept Andros out of the side – it was Raheem Sterling !

NUFC accepted the inclusion of a relegation clause in his contract – so we can’t cry when he invokes it !

• 6 DubaiMicky // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM

So he went to Palace.

His father sounds thick too.

• 7 WWSBRD // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM

There are a few reasons why the likes of Shelvey and Anita are still here and loyalty isnt at the top of the list am afraid

Townsend left because he could and tbf he didnt deserve to be in the championship, Id of loved him to of stayed with us but I dont hold a grudge over him leaving

I also dont hang my head is shame over not a poor LB

• 8 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM

I don’t blame him for leaving. I blame him for giving ordinary fans false hope and not letting on when they gave him warm-hearted thanks for it.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM

I don’t think anyone was crying but after his look what Rafa done for me comments and his comments about helping us get back up which he knew would make him a hero if he stayed, it was a bit rich when he ferked off to a shite club like Palace at the first sign of interest.

• 10 mactoon // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM

The only bitter taste I have in my mouth about this is that it was reported after meeting with Rafa back in June he told Newcastle he wanted to stay, only to jump ship when the first offer came in. I don’t have a problem with his reasons for leaving but I do take issue with false promises.

• 11 Spotlight Kid // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:20 PM

‘Here’s what Troy’s father Troy told TalkSport:’

So was this Andros Townsend’s grandfather talking to TalkSport, or what, Ed? Remember – the Son of Pharaoh’s Daughter is the Daughter of Pharaoh’s Son.

• 12 BandB // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:22 PM

He had a month of highly favourable headlines with people shaking his hand and saying what a great lad he was, “not like those other mercenaries.”
    He was already being treated as a hero, Jail.
    And it was unearned.

• 13 Belfast // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:23 PM

I think he probably wanted to stay but was advised to leave by those who think they know better – papa and his agent.

He’s actually only in the England squad this time because someone cried off.

Shelvey probably had people in his ear saying the same.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I think that’s what left the bitter taste, the false promises, I wonder if we’d have signed Ritchie if he’d stayed, good riddance if not.

• 15 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Ironically that hug from Rafa was at the home game v Crystal Palace in April when Andros scored the only goal of the game.

It was journalistic drivel like this…..

….that got fans hope up – you’d think folk would know better.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Nothing to do with direct quotes like this then Jib
    “Obviously I’m grateful because I owe a lot to Newcastle for getting me playing Premier League football again and getting me back in the England squad.

“So I owe it to them and hopefully I did Newcastle proud when I came on.”
    How’s he going to pay us back then?

• 17 Jib // Oct 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM

He’s answered your question in the quote Jail.
    He paid us back by giving a hundred percent on the pitch when picked.

The Mag tried to stir it early June by saying Townsend had met with Rafa in an article.

One of the comments pointed out he was on holiday in
    Asia with Hazel O’Sullivan

• 18 lesh // Oct 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Townsend and his spinners’d be best advised to shut up about leaving NUFC.

The more they try to justify leaving and/ or their love of the City and our fans, the deeper the hole they’re digging themselves into.

Silence often says more than a thousand words.

• 19 2_goal_tino // Oct 5, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I don’t think this is spin at all. His father said…
    “if you’re going to get yourself back in the area that he wants to be [national squad], then unfortunately the Premier League is the only place to be.”………. Can’t argue with that

“That’s obviously disappointing for Newcastle fans.” ……. True

“But for the six months he was there I’m not sure there was no other player – well there was a few – that put their heart and soul to try and keep that club where it rightly deserves to be.”…….. Exactly what the fans have been saying too

“I know that some fans have not taken it in the right way and I can understand that, but it just goes to prove how much he did do in the time he was there.” …….. True again, if he’d been a waste of space, no one would care that he’d left.

He came for 5 months, played well and owed us no loyalty (he didn’t let us down like most of the others and the relegation release clause when he signed meant we were going into the situation with our eyes wide open). I would have loved him to stay, but he hasn’t and I wish him well in his career. You never know we may be able to get him back next season….

• 20 chuck // Oct 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Grow up Ed, it was inevitable and even if Townsend had wanted to stay, Ashley would have insisted in getting him off the payroll, you sound like those who resent players who leave the club, taking it as some kind of personal insult.
    It’s just business.

• 21 microbar // Oct 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Townsend had to go as his WAG Hazel O’Sullivan wanted a move down south. And as she wears the trousers he had no option.

previous post: To Work Under Rafa Benitez Has Been Unbelievable