The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Promotion Favorites After Magical Transfer Window

2:34 pm, Thursday, October 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

We had an article out earlier today where Coral’s Dave Stevens was on talkSPORT talking about the Championship and who were favorites to go up after 11 games played.

It so happens that both Newcastle (3/10) and Norwich City (4/6)  – two of the relegated sides from last season – were both odds-on favorites to be promoted with Newcastle the favorite to win the Championship outright at 5/4.

SkyBet seem to agree with Coral and have installed Newcastle (1/4) and Norwich (1/2) as odds-on favorites to win promotion with Brighton  (5/4) and Huddersfield (7/2) next in line in the voting.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

As far as winning the Championship Newcastle are at evens (1/1) on SkyBet with Norwich at 5/2, Brighton at 6/1 and Huddersfield at 16/1.

Seems like Huddersfield are not convincing the betting companies even though they have made a great start to the season under new American manager David  Wagner.

Aston Villa have made  a poor start to the season and  as for being promoted Villa are 13/2 on Coral and 15/2 on SkyBet – and for winning the Championship outright they are 66/1 on Sky Bet and 40/1 on SkyBet.

It could now be a challenge for Villa to be promoted, but certainly by no means impossible – especially if Geordie Steve Bruce gets the vacant manager job.

It’s always interesting to read non-Newcastle blog and journalists point out that we have spent all that money in the summer, so we should get promoted.

That’s nonsense, we made a profit of  £30M on the summer transfer market and lost our four highest profile players in Andros Townsend, Gini Wijnaldum. Daryl Janmaat and Moussa Sissoko.

As Rafa has pointed out it’s the net spend that’s important because that’s the actual amount spent on players once the players we have sold are taken into account.

So how much did we really spend this summer – minus 30 million pounds – written out in plain English.

It was some magical deal-making in the summer transfer market by manager Rafa Benitez and Managing Director Lee Charnley as we made a profit of £30M, significantly reduced the wage bill and ended up with a stronger squad.

That almost seems to be against the conservation of energy somehow …..

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Everybody seems to ignore the fact that we made money, not spent any in the transfer window. It’s not as if we kept our same team and added to it with £40m. All they see is the money out column and manage to ignore the money in one and the players we lost.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I thought Warner was Gorman?

• 3 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 2:57 PM

His dad was in the USAAF and stationed in Germany – he went to German schools.
    American parents – caps for the USA however only ever played for German clubs.
    Totally bilingual

• 4 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Heavy German accent however

• 5 clinath@ed // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

I thought he was German too. On topic, what our esteemed journo fail to grasp is that we (Newcastle) are virtually a new team/squad, learning to get on with each other.
    All they see is the money spent, not what it cost us to get that money…

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Clint, our wee man was at it again last night for England’s U20’s. 🙂 Callum Roberts got a game too. He can’t be far off a first team call up. Might see him for the Preston game hopefully.

• 7 clinath@ed // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM

yes Bobby, I saw that on earlier, meant to mention it, but some git gave me some work to do….inconsiderate lout.
    Yeah, hopefully he should be back in the fold January ready for the big push.

• 8 clinath@ed // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM

you say back for the Preston game. Can he come back that early mate?

• 9 Munster Mag // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Good transfer window but I still feel there is at least 20% more attacking threat in this team and Rafa can surely unleash more of it. I think part of our problem (and we are in good nick) is that we don’t have a big mobile striker to play up top, and Rafa won’t go 442. I have rated gayle from day 1 so hope we keep playing him within reason. Even against Fulham he was far better than he was given credit for here.

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Clint, not Arma, Callum Roberts. They came through the academy together. Good player as well. He’s a winger primarily. Good tricky feet, no slouch and has been scoring for the U23’s lately. Love to see academy players breaking through.

• 11 clinath@ed // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Sorry mate, getting old.
    Noticed Arma scored so that’s what I thought you were on about…
    Don’t know a lot about young Roberts, but I’m always happy when one comes through the ranks.

• 12 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Good player mate. Got a great eye for a pass as well. He used to supply Arma a lot when they played together, lovely little well placed balls through the channels. They linked well then so would be nice to see them united in the near future. Apparently Roberts has been training with the main squad recently so Rafa must like what he’s seen. Myself, I’d rather see one of our academy players making it than spending millions on average players.

• 13 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Just move on, or ignore me. You don’t need to mention me at all if you have nothing good to say. Same record every time.

• 14 martoon // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I think the depth of our squad is what makes us favourites. When the Winter sets in and all teams have a few injuries & suspensions we should be able to put out the strongest team of the top 3.

• 15 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Martoon, that’s been the plan all along mate. Some have failed to grasp the bigger picture but no doubt as the season progresses they’ll come round to it. 🙂 That’s when we pull away from the chasing group. It’s Rafa’s cunning plan. As cunning as a box of foxes, from Cunningly, Cunningshire. It cannot fail. 🙂

• 16 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM

I’ve been looking at our fixtures and “what iffing”

If we progress in the EFL cup plus the 3rd round of the FA cup and our regular Championship fixtures .

From the beginning of December to the end of January – we are looking at 14 matches – 7 matches a month for 2 months !!!

• 17 Legolas // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM

I have seen Callum Roberts a few times he is a talent. Hopefully, will be a good player for us.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM

I work with lots of different fans of different football clubs and our squad size is a big talking point, it must have been on eBay of the glaring errors Rafa pointed out when he started talks.

• 19 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM

We’ve already had a load of games and hardly any injuries, so I would tend towards optimism in that respect.
    I’m with Martoon!!

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM

E bay???? Eh!!

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM

E bay = one of the

• 22 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Actually YMFB I’ve been trying to ignore you since last night. But you obviously didn’t want me to ignore your post about ignoring you.

• 23 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Ah. So Rafa has been using eBay for purchases. Clever. I hope he uses topcashback though first.

• 24 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Martoon, the squad depth is enhanced by the deliberate rotation of certain personnel. Some like to minimise that as being negligible but there’s a high rotation going on, and as the season progresses it will change pattern as injuries and the nature of games change. That’s where the trick will be, I think the core of players in the last three or four months will be a little different, unless Rafa’s team can really break this long standing injury hoodoo at the club. Another thing Re entry dismissed was the installation of the new training surfaces – it would be worth looking at the past figures for training-related injuries over in-game ones compared to this season, when we get to the end of it of course.

Anyhow, I can see that not picking the best 11 every time frustrates some, and of course the cautious approach Rafa has in some games, but I think I’d sacrifice the full on attacking formations for conservative chiselled out odd-goal wins any day if it kept the squad upright and fighting fit toward the run-in.

• 25 lesh // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:15 PM

We all know that the media only reports on Newcastle United with a negative slant.

• 26 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Actually our tag of “big spenders buying the league title” is truly irritating in it’s stupidity. it’s like saying that someone who sells his big house in not so good condition then goes and buys a cheaper one in better nick is just chucking money about on fancy property.

• 27 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Lesh, sad innit? So many good things to report on re Newcastle lately, yet thet persevere with the negatives. Always said it’s because they don’t get us. We’re not like the other clubs, who’s attendance slumps ie Villa etc when we struggle. Our lot keep turning up regardless. That alone is a unique good feeling story, but they’d rather search for negatives. Their loss mate. 🙂

• 28 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Ok Tsunki.

• 29 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM

I think most sensible fans from other clubs understand our situation. I was talking to three Wolves fans before the league game and they pointed out that we hadn’t spent a penny, even before we said it. They were talking about transfer dealings and were well impressed with how we’d conducted our dealings. They were well aware that we were £31m in the black. Pity the media aren’t football fans lmao!

• 30 martoon // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Tsunki @24 – I must admit some of Rafa’s team selections for home games slightly frustrate me. Just seem too cautious – I’d love to see Mitro & Gayle start especially against a lower table team. This is not a criticism of Rafa just a personal opinion.

• 31 Belfast // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM

You’ve been wanting to use that analogy for a while Tsunki. I can tell!

• 32 Belfast // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM

It’s been on the shelf for a while that one.

• 33 Belfast // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Straight into the wheat category for now.

• 34 Markaccus // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Confirmed raffa bingo line up for next weekend.

• 35 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Martoon, when we’re at home I’d love to see a 4132 formation. Should we really need two holding midfielders against lesser sides? Not imo. Two strikers and always leave one up when they have a corner. The smallest and quickest will do. More attack minded, no big shakeup. Then again, Rafa’s way is working so I’m happy enough. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that might differ from Rafa’s though. 🙂

• 36 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Markaccus, nice one. 🙂

• 37 hibbit // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM

the player thats been the biggest surprise to me has been Clarke
    maybe i went to much on other peoples poor opinions of him. but i think he has the makings of a very good CB
    Roberts could be the surprise package this season with just a little bit of luck the lad could have a brakethrough season well worth a chance

• 38 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM

DeAndre Yedlin must be a Spanish speaker
    He’s given a an interview to Spanish language version of the MLS site.
    In it he compares London to Newcastle
    London – big – impersonal – cold
    Newcastle – compact – friendly – warm
    Just like Seattle in fact !!!

• 39 Belfast // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Jail that’s why I fancy us and Norwich for the top two – The strength in depth compared to the rest.

I expect Huddersfield to drop off at some point. The loan system has changed now so you can’t restock your squad outside the window if you get a few injuries.

• 40 Markaccus // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Yeah I agree with both of you. I’d love to see us be a little more attacking at home. But I can cope with the way things are as long as we keep winning, i suppose

• 41 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Actually Belfast it was a spur of the moment thought. But I can see how you would be in awe of my genius. Join the queue actually. 😀

• 42 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Well, given the awful start to our home form I can understand why not losing there would be Rafas priority.

• 43 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Hibbett, with you on Clark mate, he obviously just needed a change after so long at Villa. He was being taken for granted. Now he’s got his mojo back and looking to impress Rafa – a win win situation for team, himself, Rafa and the fans. Long may it continue.
    As you know Roberts was one of my little picks for players to watch that we’ve actually brought through. A good little group of talented young players all coming through at once from the same academy side is unusual for us, but very welcome. With him training with the first team, it must be fair to assume he’s impressed Rafa. Like to see him in the cup game v Preston if not sooner from the bench – which is his next target. I get such a buzz from seeing our own players coming through, probably because it seldom happens. He’s a ready made replacement if Ritchie needs a break.

• 44 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:06 PM

itll be interesting to see if we make a deep cup run, how this team will fare against ones in the prem… I imagine well add a few players once jan comes and were sitting in a favorable position…

• 45 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Dok, still hoping sunlun beat Soton and we beat Preston. We came SO close to getting them last draw. There was four teams left including us and them, but we still missed them. 🙂

January would be a great time to revisit the Knockaert deal if we’re where we hope to be. He can cut it in the PL and might see us as his chance to return. I’m sure Rafa will be looking towards next season in January. Good quality from abroad will also see us as a good prospectif they think we’re going up. Could be an exciting window.

• 46 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Jonas who is now playing in Buenos Aires has been captured playing hide the sausage by his model girlfriend Alejandra Maglietti !

• 47 Bobbybee // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Jib, shows you that you don’t need two to function at least. I take it she was his lass then? What can you say? Why go out for a spam sandwich when you’ve got the finest cuts at home? 🙂 Sometimes you don’t appreciate something until it’s gone – as he might be about to discover! Ouch.

• 48 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 1 Australia 0

Here’s a link for any Aussies about (it’s about 6am in Melbourne)

• 49 Ron Knee // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Clark starting for Rep Ireland.

• 50 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM

For Martoon I think it was
    Boxing Day will see Metro operating a Saturday timetable from 8am until 9pm. … then every 15 mins through Newcastle city centre until about 11.15pm, when the last Metro will depart Central Station.

• 51 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Australia must win this game.
    The Saudi goalie makes Jak Alnwick look like Lev Yashin !

• 52 Budge123 // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Jib – cheers for the Metro info it was me that mentioned the Metro. Martoon was after bus I think!

Looks like I can go to the ball after all!

• 53 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM

I have been in darkest Suffolk for the last week.

The internet speed is terribly slow there so I don’t know if my Rafa bingo team has arrived yet.

Just to remind you what it was:-

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummet
    Shelvey Colback
    Atsu Diame Gouffroun

I assume you will let me know if I have won

• 54 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Aaro Mooy corner – Goaaaaalllll!

• 55 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Aaron even
    The goalie was statuesque

• 56 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM

You’d have thought that the Welsh game would have been on BBC Wales!!

• 57 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM

God loves a tryer Mr Essex

• 58 martoon // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Jib @50 – Cheers but I don’t live near the Metro only buses will do. I tweeted NE Stagecoach and there answer “Hi Martoon, timetables for that period have not been decided on yet. Thanks, C”
    I mean FFS have they not heard of management and forward planning but if it is like other years there will be no buses on Boxing day!

• 59 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM

It’s actually very close to the team I was going to pick, Atsu would have been the one who fooled everyone I would guess. 🙂

The phone service was abysmal, Just getting the blog on my phone was so slow it would have taken me all week to try and transmit a comment.

I did more or less keep up with the shenanigans on here though.

• 60 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM

You may get more sense from these

• 61 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Song for the Irish

• 62 lesh // Oct 6, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Zere seems to be a lot of ze personal comments about Rafa popping up tonight.

Be varned, ef ze Blog Polizei zinc zose soughts are creeticisms, zen ze critcs vill be lined up against ze vall and….

• 63 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM

So….the likes of me and a few others get blamed for keeping people off the blog.

We, well me at least don’t post for a while to let it die down.

Yeah, I can see now how I spoilt the blog with my anti slug views.

As long as nobody disagrees with the ones that blame us then it’s all good.

Isn’t that right.

The blogs dead. Long live the wums, trolls and shills.

• 64 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM

My hope is that theory is put to bed now.

Riveting isn’t it?

• 65 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Everybodies been watching the Internationals you plug.

Moldova 0 Serbia 3
    Mitrovic on at 70 mins but no goal
    Ireland 1 Georgia 0 Ciaran Clark steady away
    Austria 2 Wales 2 Dummett no show

• 66 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Almost as riveting as talking to yourself.

Perhaps there’s someone who can help me with that on this very blog.

Yeah, I meant you.

• 67 welshgeordie9 // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM

There’s always one isn’t there.

• 68 JAMSHA // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM

2-2 Ausi Nice

• 69 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Speaking for the silent majority again I see.

It’s never stopped them before has it jizzum.

I woke the baby.

• 70 welshgeordie9 // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Ed, about time you do another article on sissoko, something to talk about.

• 71 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM

And like a bad turd, it floats to the surface.

Shame, the football craic was excellent.

• 72 welshgeordie9 // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Is that Australia or Austria.

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Pity you wasn’t talking footie last night.

• 74 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Is there such a thing as a good turd ?

• 75 G // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM

AC, no offence intended mate, but you sound exactly like the class of people your post 63 vilifies. Not a good way to keep your dignity intact I’m affraid.

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Anyway off to watch the end of the darts.

• 77 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Like a cockroach after a nuclear blast.

Scuttle, scuttle.

Did you know that the rumours of cockroach’s being virtually indestructible are just that, rumours.

They get squished in the end.

• 78 Jib // Oct 6, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I think Jamsha was referring to the Socceroos who remain unbeaten – Japan in Melbourne on Tuesday

• 79 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Net spend over the last three windows and recognising the profit we made on Sissoko, Widjnaldum, even Townsend and Janmaat does indicate a massive spend relative to other Championship clubs. We also have a manager on world class money. The money is commensurate to our size, and so not financial doping, but it is way more than any other club and gives us a big, big advantage. The simple truth is we shouldn’t be down here.

• 80 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM

No offence taken, mate.

Just thought I’d share the love. Or in this case, a load of bollox.

• 81 Average_Contents // Oct 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Oh, and it wasn’t exactly hectic to begin with was it, being my point.

previous post: Rafa Talks About Top Player He May Keep This Season