The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Admits He Has No Regrets

9:13 am, Friday, October 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Newcastle-born Jack Colback moved to Newcastle as a free agent from Sunderland just over two years ago and his move so far has been bitter-sweet.

We’re sure when Jack signed on at Newcastle with the uproar that accompanied the move both from Sunderland officials as well as their fans – he didn’t expect to be playing in the Championship a short two years later.

Jack wanted to join his home-town club, but even now with Rafa Benitez in charge he still seems happy to be playing for Newcastle United.

jack Colback Rafa Benitez swansea

Jack Colback and Rafa Benitez last season

This is what Jack has said in the Chronicle about his move to Newcastle from Sunderland:

“It’s not been ideal, it’s not gone to plan, so to speak. But that’s football, you can’t predict what is going to happen. I’m just happy to be at a massive club like this.”

“I have no regrets. You can’t regret things in life. It was probably the hardest option to take in terms of spotlight and craic, but I don’t pay much attention to that, or the crap that is said on social media.”

“I’d have always thought about what it would have been like if I’d gone somewhere else.”  “My family are from here, my kids get to stay local and having the family here is the important thing.”

“It’s been fine. People probably sit back and pretend they’ve said this and that to me to their friends but I’ve heard nothing.”

“Obviously it wasn’t ideal when I went to their place but it’s grown men – if they want to say this or that that’s their prerogative. I will do my job playing football and see how far it takes me.”

“I’ve been in and out of form a bit this season but hopefully when I’ve come in I’ve done my bit and I’m hoping to continue that.”

“I want to get back to the level I was at then. First and foremost I want to take Newcastle back into the Premier League.”

“I think it’s a duty if you were part of the group that took the club down to try and get it back to where it needs to be.”

Jack joined Sunderland back in 1999 when he was 10 years old and he came through their Youth Academy and ended up playing 135 times with 5 goals for the Black Cats.

So far Jack has made 73 appearances for Newcastle with 5 goals and hopefully Jack can help us get straight back to the Premier League.

That’s job one for this season.

Tags: Championship · Free Agent · Jack Colback · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:31 AM

“I don’t pay much attention to the crap that is said on social media.”

He must have read some of the posters on here !

• 2 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM

It’s just so right that you are a big fan of Wor Jackie Colback, Jib.

• 3 Goldmbemba // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM

The word ‘admit’ is so over used in headlines.

You ‘admit’ to embezzling funds. You ‘admit’ to armed robbery.

You don’t ‘admit’ that you are happy to play for a football club.

• 4 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Not a big fan – just don’t bang on about how bad he is like jilted mackems do.

No what I mean – nudge nudge – wink wink.

You have sly pops at Rafa – you hate Colback’s guts – it don’t take too much working out does it ?

• 5 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Know what I mean – even

• 6 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Mitro is fantastic. Start picking him Rafa, C’mon, he’s heaps of fun! e deserve it.

• 7 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:09 AM

We deserve it

• 8 Malta Mag // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Can never understand some people’s hostility towards Colback? His role is that of “water carrier” in that he breaks up play and plays simple to other players who are more creative. He’s never failed to do that and does it well. Without your Jack Colbacks and Isaac Hayden’s of this world, the artists couldn’t survive. Yes he’s over zealous sometimes and his discipline is far from ideal but I like his combative nature and I personally think he is a major player for us.

• 9 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:16 AM

The Overrated Frenchman

You underestimate Jib’s talents. Google Translate? Never – he acts as linguistic advice to Google no less!

Such is Jib’s modesty he’ll never refer to his multilingual skills and neither will he boast about his exceptional qualifications, in particular PhD in Bullshit.

• 10 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Twenty minutes and no riposte from ToF.
    Methinks he’s been rumbled.
    Probably acquiring a new user name.

• 11 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM

What is your Turkish like ?

• 12 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Jacks alreet, but Rafa prefers Hayden. So there you have it. Personally I’d prefer Tiote beside Shelvey. Might and finesse. Actually finesse obviously isn’t the right word, but it’s all I’ve got.

• 13 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM

might and vision ?

• 14 Ian Toon // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Malta- I do understand. They go for the sellable blog headline, it’s because he played for the mackems or maybe don’t appreciate what he brings to the team and the overall blend required in a team. They prefer to look at the areas of his game which he could improve upon. I won’t replicate your well balanced comments further.

The DM I have most appreciated this season is Wanyama who has taken Spurs to a new level. He’s simply been everywhere in the Spurs midfield. He’s certainly not a defensive midfielder and seems to have morphed into an attacking defensive midfielder at times. A real power house who’s strong on the ball and with some imperious performances this season.

• 15 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Yes, indeed, vision. That’s exactly what Shelvey has. Too many grogo’s or I’d have had that quickly to mind, instead of the hot dog I can’t stop craving.

• 16 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Jimmy talking of grogo’s
    a snippet of useles information (my head is full of them)
    Not many people know that the Royal Navy of the 18th C had a large number of Catalan mariners.
    Catalan for yellow = grogui
    Navy rum was yellow (like treacle and watered down)
    Hence grog
    Hence grogo

• 17 Ian Toon // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM

I see Woodman kept a clean sheet for the Under 21’s.

Did anyone see the trailers for The Apprentice and Pick of the day critic’s choice in the Mail.
    ” Their first task is to sort the wheat from the chaff and sell etc etc…..”.

• 18 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Ian Toon
    So are you saying you are Mike Ward ?

• 19 Ian Toon // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Jib- Sorry. I am watching the cricket rather than catch up on some sleep but losing the battle. I am not a mail reader. It would be easier to google the name but why don’t you fill me in.

• 20 Sav // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

I agree, ‘admit’ seems a strange choice of word, Ed. Stark contrast to the patronising hubris of Andros Townsend whose article in the Chronic is the tone of a footballer who has done it all, not one who baled out when the going got tough. We’ve replaced him with consistently better, in Matt Ritchie.

• 21 hibbit // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

thats what he’s implying Jib

• 22 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I think Alex Neil pipped Rafa for the manager of the month because of the Canaries famous cup victory over Everton.

• 23 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Mike Ward
    Mail tv critic

• 24 Ian Toon // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I don’t watch the apprentice was he / is he one of the contestants? Did he use that expression?
    I plan to watch a recorded “The Fall”

• 25 Ian Toon // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM

OK – Ha ha.

• 26 frankie // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Jack I’ll “admit”that I’ve got a very low impression of you as A, a person and B, a footballer. Hopefully I’ll see less and less of you as your the weak link whenever you’re on the pitch.

• 27 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Frankie must be ToF

No Toon fan would reference Colbacks attributes as a “person”

I do “get” the mackem’s annoyance at his jilting of them , however I think if a young lad from Sunderland went through our academy from 12 then decided he wanted to play for his home town club , I wouldn’t be as bothered as some of the scum seem to be.

• 28 frankie // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Don’t know what tof is. Have you seen him during warm ups at sjp? Whilst everyone else is acknowledging the smattering of fans who enjoy the build up inside ground he ignores us. I’ve other reasons too but feel this isn’t the correct place to air them.

previous post: Aleksandar Mitrovic Explains Why He Attacked Dwight Gayle