The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Building Foundations For Newcastle’s Future Success

3:58 pm, Friday, October 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 162 Comments

The Chronicle is reporting today there was a get together between local journalists and Rafa Benitez at the Benton Training grounds earlier this week.

They report the difference in the mood (and even inside the newly renovated inside of the building) couldn’t have been more different from the same meeting with Steve McClaren a year ago.

Of course there’s nothing quite like wins to create an upbeat mood at any football club and after 13 games  played in all competitions we have nine wins – so that’s not bad.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

Of course we have Rafa Benitez running everything football related at Newcastle – and that cannot be bad.

It’s also the first time he’s had such a wide scope of responsibilities at any club and he seems be relishing the opportunity to build Newcastle into a great club again with a top team on the pitch.

The Chronicle is also reporting that Rafa had a meeting with Managing Director Lee Charnley on Wednesday, but that was only one of the regular meeting between the two that take place fairly regularly.

One subject on the agenda was recruitment in January, although they are also planning what to do in the next three transfer windows.

That sounds good.

This season is already different from the previous ones since Mike Ashley became the owner in the summer of 2007.

For one thing we have very few injuries – although Daryl Murphy returned from the Ireland squad after being inured maybe on the first day of training earlier this week.

Rolando Aarons has been out with a broken foot and Jesus Gamez has been nursing an Achilles tendon problem.

And it didn’t seem to take Rafa long to make an impact on what has been a long-standing injury problem at the club.

He has done a number of things to try to improve the injury record including having a bigger squad with the rotation of players and hehas the club upgrade to 4G artificial training pitches.

Two new medical staff were hired in the summer to concentrate on the recovery from injuries and put procedures in place to try to prevent them in the first place.

Rafa has asked everybody associated with the club to get behind the team and that seems to have worked and it includes the players and staff, the media and of course the fans – and anybody else who may have some association with Newcastle United.

It seems to be working.

And if the team can keep improving as Rafa keeps stressing is necessary to be successful this season, then things could look really good for Newcastle come May.

Let’s hope that all happens.

Comment welcome.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Press

162 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM

A lot of non football related posts today.

• 2 cyprus // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:13 PM

On the football posts, it would be good if Mitro gets more game time before his enthusiasm wanes or he ‘accidentally’ injures Gayle.

On Colback, he sounds very mature. He ignores the ‘crap on social media’? Good idea.

• 3 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha. Hilarious. Things you literally could not make up.

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Cyprus, maybe that’s a cunning plan by Mitro, to injure Gayle ‘accidentally’ – a pulled neck muscle would do the job – so he does get more game time? 🙂

• 5 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Watching David – Peter Willey’s son reminds me of the famous Brian Johnston commentary moment.

“The bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey”

Ha ha ha

• 6 bettyswallocks // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Bobby …….. Glad to see you’re in good spirits after the madness of the other night.

• 7 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:34 PM

It would be good if Mitro deserved to get more game time imo

• 8 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Jib, the unintentional jokes are always the funniest. Like when the worst ever offender complains about none footballing matters…? Hilarious. 🙂

Betty, nice to hear you again mate. I’m always in good spirits. I thought mocking your personal emails was disgusting by the way. Maybe a lesson about sharing details with unstable people can be learned though. I realise you were maybe trying to build bridges mate, but the response you got says a lot really. Nasty, but you can expect that I suppose. A nice gesture by you, hurled right back in your face.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Fair to say that barring a wee miracle, Bangladesh are going to cruise this. 🙁

• 10 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I jest about your posting. I’m surely not alone in saying that I find many of ’em informative and amusing.

• 11 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I didn’t realize than Sunlun will also probably have a player in the USA side v Cuba this evening .

Lynden Gooch has appeared in 7 cup and league sides for the unwashed this season and is expected to get his first cap for the USA today.

He’s from Santa Cruz CA just a couple of hundred miles from Chicousa.

• 12 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM

It’s interesting to read that Rafs and Charnley met on Wednesday.

Ed ran a thread earlier this week and its theme was about the importance of everyone, all non-footballing staff included, pulling im the same direction. I wonder if Rafa’s meeting with Charnley went as as Rafa hoped.

There again, maybe Rafa’s hopes for cooperation were expressed prior to his meeting with Charnley, warning him that that’s what he wants.

• 13 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Nae bother Lesh
    Sometimes stuff can come across curter (more curt ? ) and ruder than intended.

• 14 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:56 PM

It was probably intructions from Rafa who he wants watched – the international breaks are a great opportunity for clandestine scouting.

• 15 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Discurteously maybe?

• 16 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Lesh, no need to worry on that front mate, Rafa appears to be happy with the arrangements from what I can gather. He’s getting everything he wants by the sound of it. And it shows both on the field. I think we’re actually being run like a proper football club at the mo. Hard to get my head around for sure, but long may it last. 🙂

• 17 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM

You could well be right but when I read it I may have seen a message to Charnley in there.

Maybe, nay definitely, I’m becoming more cynical in me dotage!

• 18 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Long may the Club continue to be run on professional lines. It’s taken long enough for the penny to drop with Ashley.

• 19 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Two quick wickets! On a hattrick… Pure wickedness, getting my hopes up like this. 🙂

• 20 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM

discourteous in Turkish is nezaketsiz

• 21 bettyswallocks // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Bobby….. Thanks for that, I do regret doing it now as it was a genuine gesture at the time separate to all the blog stuff. I don’t mind the banter and mickey taking, in fact I come on here for the craic as much as to discuss Nufc stuff. However in this age of so called equality if some female comes on and starts some pretty heavy banter and then tries to play the sexism card and even threatens police action when it’s fired back then that’s too much for me.

In the cold light of day I now realise there are serious mental instabilities going on there and it’s best to steer clear.

• 22 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Lesh, becoming cynical is one of the pleasures of getting old. 🙂

• 23 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM

The Bagladeshi crowd has gone very quiet all of sudden

• 24 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Number 3
    You can hear a pin drop

• 25 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM

So we need a new acronym, how about:-

• 26 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Betty, nothing surprises me any more mate. Her dig at my – shall we say – mobility problems summed her up for the blog to see. Wasted on me though, because nobody laughs at my predicament more than me. What she sees as me complaining is me taking the piss out of myself, but it’s above some people’s ability to digest. What is described as me ‘ranting’ is simply me taking the piss out of them, but again – whoosh! – straight over their simple heads. I know sometimes I should ignore them, but they supply me with so much ammo it would be bordering on rude not to capitalise. 🙂
    I’m more than happy that the most obnoxious bunch of hypocrites on here dislike me. I would be devastated if they did like me.

Oh, giddiness abounds. Another late wicket. Could my minor miracle request be actually on? Stranger things…

• 27 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Jib, exciting stuff innit? I thought it was just a matter of time, but how nice to be wrong. 🙂 You’re right though – very quiet. Thought the microphones had broken. 🙂
    Get in there! What a collapse. One more to go…

• 28 Graeme // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Bangladesh 280 – 9

• 29 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Cannot let it go – I note the earlier snipe for no good reason at all. please desist I asked you not to mention me yesterday and I would reciprocate.
    What happens today – another pop to cause aggro -plain for all to see.
    I ask again do not mention me otherwise I will be forced to highlight your earlier duplicity abusing dok and then saying its a joke.
    Can we all do that or just you.

• 30 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Graeme, welcome to the naughty step mate. The blog police don’t want us discussing cricket because it’s not football… Good game though matey! 🙂

• 31 bettyswallocks // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Bobby……. Hypocrisy springs to mind which is why I hinted that the playing field needs to be level. It’s been discussed enough times on here about not crossing certain lines during arguments and disagreements but anyway it’s good to see you can laugh at your own plight.
    In my opinion humour and laughter have great medicinal values.
    One definition of kinkiness:- Lovebites on haemorrhoids.

• 32 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Tuff, STFU eh? Nobody cares.

• 33 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Jeepers we won it !!!!!

• 34 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Get in England!!! What a game. Betty, ouch! Not funny mate! (He says jokingly). I find the ability to laugh at yourself is one of natures greatest gifts mate. The hypocrisy is what gets me laughing most. I often wonder how they can be so blind to themselves. Whining about others whilst bang it themselves. Like saying you intend to ignore me, them making snide gripes about cricket. Priceless. They take themselves far too seriously. Nobody but Ed owns the blog and we’re all – or should be – old enough to police ourselves without relying on ‘mightier than you’ nobody’s telling us what we can or can’t do. Funnier that they think we might listen to them! 🙂 Mind you, if we carry on taking the piss out of them there’ll be nothing left. 🙂

• 35 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM

You and Dok go and start a Hands across the Atlantic blog of your own

• 36 Graeme // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Bobby, I only caught the last 8 overs mate, but what a collapse by Bangladesh – most impressive lol.

• 37 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Graeme, monumental mate lmao! They needed something like 40 runs off as many balls and I’d written us off virtually. You caught the best part of it, they were on top most of their reply. Good batting from England, but only about par. The bowling response at the end was excellent.

• 38 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:58 PM

and that’s why this blog that I used to love has gone to hell…

• 39 Average_Contents // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Your wrong. It’s just how they envisaged it.

• 40 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:06 PM

whos they AC?

• 41 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Dok, why? Because people are finally standing up to those who think they own the blog? The borg collective. Tuff, AC, you, BandB etc. A tiny bunch of individuals who’ve spoilt it for others for far too long. Jail’s took a step backwards from it and good for him. You know what to do if you’re no longer happy – exchange emails with BandB about how horrible we all are. I’m at a loss at how you even defend the indefensible, but old habits eh? Nobody tells anybody what to do pal, how dare they even think they can? To adopt a football chant – who are ya? Who are ya? Everybody’s been sick of it for ages and now are finally saying it. Go pick a fight you can win, because you won’t win this one.

• 42 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM

dok – the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:01
    Twenty minutes and no riposte from ToF.
    Methinks he’s been rumbled.
    Probably acquiring a new user name…”

hi pot, meet kettle…

Dok this was your 1st post today
    An uncalled for pop at me
    Sorry Mr Long Tall Texan
    Don’t be a crybaby
    Just accept if you have a pop at a Brit you’ll get it back (usually with interest)

• 43 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM

who says I’m on any side? bit sanctimonious that… i’ve always been on here to talk about the toon… borg collective… god knows i’ve been insulted with the line, “you’re not a true supporter, you’re not from here’ by a few of your cronies, it makes me weep for the future of anyone ever wanting to support this club…

but since you know me so well, keeping at it, maybe one day you’ll even believe half the crap youre currently spouting…

• 44 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Ha ha ha ha! Emails been flying then? 🙂 classic. The problem here is you lot give it out 24/7, then bleat when you get it back. It doesn’t work like that. But carry on and embarrass yourselves AGAIN. We’re all waiting to laugh at you. Priceless entertainment.

• 45 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM

emails have been flying? really? all because I asked the blog for a bit of help on a possible trip there and BandB along with one other was kind enough to help me out?

and if I want to “have a pop at a brit, jiblet, you’ll know it,…

• 46 ShirebrookToon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Well Bangladesh certainly hit the self destruct button

• 47 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM

this blog was great long before you were around. i’m sure if i cared enough i could even argue your using of it signaled it going down hill, give or take

you’re incessant mentioning of your nationality reeks of an insecurity too great to address or tackle in one measly post. but by god get over it. you’ve even changed your name way back when as it was a persona you saw befitting of yourself. I have met plenty of toon fans across the states and let me tell you, you do not embody nor do you speak to or for them on any level. you’re just an annoying little git beset by a seemingly insurmountable inferiority complex

• 48 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:23 PM

matty, jib, bobby..

enough said then.. good luck to all in the future…

• 49 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:24 PM

The blog spoke the other night. It spoke again when AC was crying because nobody would talk to him. Ditto tuff. There’s a reason they wouldn’t and it still stands. We come on to talk, whereas they come on to dig at people and cause rows. Then try to blame others when they defend themselves. It’s become so predictable even those who would rather not, have spoken up. Have a go by all means, but less the poor victim when somebody responds eh? Even though rows occur, it might be me one day, or jib another. Welshie next, then betty. But one thing always remains the same – who started it.

• 50 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Oh dok please stop it. I’m nearly in tears here. Get the violins out. Your problem is trying to defend the indefensible too many times. You’ve been rumbled. Get over it. 🙁

• 51 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Shireebrook I tend to agree
    More like them losing it – than us winning it.

• 52 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Bobby…The blog spoke? Sorry I missed that one. Can you point me to the conversation?

What’s your beef with Dok?

Seems to me you’re trying to speak on behalf of everyone again.

As for “who started it” (really?), wasn’t it you and Betty talking about that nasty woman today? No one else. Also, I believe Dok pointed out the hypocrisy of Jibs post, nothing more, nothing less, you wandered in to that one for some reason.

Of course you’re more than entitled to do just that, just like Tuff, AC, BandB or anyone you see fit to group together is too.

• 53 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:36 PM

• 54 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM

in other, more relevant matters (and in light of the int’l break which seems to be a long winded death throe),

I haven’t felt this optimistic about this club in ages. I know there are still posters like OurToon and gorgonzola (who really ever took him seriously anyhow) who are doing their damnedest to dismantle what stability we’ve found under Rafa and pointing out every perceived flaw coming with a loss or anything less than a 2-0 win (in fact i even remember the pitchforks being out after derby 2-0, if i’m not mistaken), but after four years of Pardew– a manager I thoroughly disliked from the beginning, convalesced half a season with and then grew to dislike even further, it can’t be underscored enough how great it is to feel not only good about the goings on at the club but proud, even. after KK, wonga, sports direct arena, dennis wise, Jimenez, Nacho, Xisco, the Meyler headbutt, missing out on Modric, Aubeyang, so many disappointments, just allow yourself to feel good about what’s happening right now.

rant over. HTL

• 55 ShirebrookToon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM

30 runs required from 30 balls and they choked lol

• 56 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Jib, yup, that’s about it – they blew it. That said, credit our attack for keeping the pressure on. They’ll likely be suffering from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but we bowled them out as the game dictates. I think our advantage at the mo is simply that we bat so deep and have bowlers for every ocassion. With Bangladesh their bowlers can’t bat according to the evidence displayed today. Good game though chaps.

• 57 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM

You are going to have to find a new playground.

The horrible Mike Ashley has taken a back seat and appointed a “worldy” manager.

The club is slowly getting to where it should be.

You and BullshitandBluster can ride off into the sunset and find other windmills to tilt at.

• 58 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Ermmmm. This blog is very strange in the international break. Reminds me of the hunger games franchise with the districts attacking back against the hierarchy lmao. It’s just a football blog guys, why does it seems so personal on here now? Surely ignoring those that you wish not to converse with is the answer? Feeling bad for Ed at this point. So much bitching leaving little room for football talk. I’ve learned from my mistakes on here I suggest everyone else should do the same.

Am I the only one who doesn’t care much about the national team these days? It’s run so sloppily that it reminds of the Newcastle in the past. One which I’m happy to be away from.

• 59 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Jib…Not sure what my posting on here has to do with Mike Ashley, nor what your response has to do with my post, other than some idea you’ve manifested in your head.

You don’t think I’m pleased that things are moving in the right direction? Rest assured Jib, my AshleyOut views weren’t born from boredom. Sorry to disappoint.

• 60 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Hey hey! On cue, here comes another to stick up the losers. Ibiza, NFI, mate, NFI. I’m not getting dragged into another pointless row with another pointless individual. Your opinion bothers me none. You are completely irrelevant so save yourself the bother. Hows the weather? Oh yeah, who cares.

• 61 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Also sprach Jib.

• 62 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:48 PM

you feel sorry for Ed?

do you know how much this blog rakes in?!

• 63 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Bobby…Not sure that response was warranted. Was I disrespectful to you?

Also, I have no idea what “NFI” means.

Weather has been hit and miss.

• 64 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:51 PM

In fairness, Jib,

Ibiza a few years back was one of the most infuriating posters as he couldn’t take a stance for or against anything. He was antagonist more than anything….almost to the point of wondering what he was doing here altogether.

His disdain for Mike Ashley was anything but inherent. It grew at a glacial pace, if i may

• 65 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Ed isn’t much bothered about the content (as long as no laws are broken) he is happy while the hits keep happening.
    BTW evreyone should click on a link now and then just to keep Ed’s advertisers happy.

• 66 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Meant in terms of the inevitable emails from individuals complaining about other posters.

• 67 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Matty…That seems to be a post to Jib about me, so not sure why I’m addressed.

I suppose I could carve a question out of there to answer.

I was / am on the blog as I’m a fan of NUFC. If I don’t hold a strong opinion or am unsure on something, I presume that’s okay?

• 68 ShirebrookToon // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM

I for one am not that interested in the national team

• 69 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM

YMFB, just a bit of long overdue housekeeping is how it looks to me. I used to go to every England home game once. Now I find it a bit of a chore watching on tv. You ain’t alone mate. Hows your dad anyway mate? Hope he’s well as can be. The rowing has stopped mate, nothing more to say really. The best has been expressed over the last couple of days. 🙂

• 70 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM

I know jib.

• 71 hibbit // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM

ifa meaning Net Financial Indebtedness

• 72 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:56 PM

My dad? I’m confused. I’ve never mentioned him on here. Have you confused me with Welsh? I’m pretty sure it was his dad that was in hospital.

• 73 BandB // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:56 PM

They are having their stone table moment.
    Watch and wait.
    Its a pustule in the process of bursting.

• 74 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM

National Forest Inventory?

• 75 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM

i was interjecting, thus my CCing of you

I was just stating my opinion while shoring up your initial point to Jib. No need to condescend. I’m sure even you can admit your adopted persona was that of fence sitter for quite awhile (that would also go some ways in proving aforementioned initial point to Jib)

• 76 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM

I know Ibiza from years of reading this blog
    This could have been made about him

Just a shame he’s latched on to us

• 77 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Hibbit…I see….wait a second… 🙂

BandB…Has someone been scheduled to come and clean afterwards?

• 78 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM

It’s just sad. This blog is just way less welcoming to new posters then it was 4 years ago. I used to love reading this blog.

• 79 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Matty…I’d imagine so, seeing as I’ve said it time and time again. There were certain issues that I was well and truly on the fence for.

Thanks for shoring things up.

FYI – It’s not an adopted persona, I am who I am.

• 80 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Sorry Ibiza, was I too harsh there? N is for not. I is for interested. I mean I’m not getting into an argument that ends in you complaining about my arguing. As it inevitably does. Maybe you should read some of what was said. Anyway, it’s done with. True colours have been shown and resulted in certain posters being given a few home truths they didn’t like. Basically, there’s nothing more to say on the subject. Sorry you missed it, I’m sure your input would have been… biased? The blog is evolving. The dinosaurs may well have had their day.

• 81 ShirebrookToon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM

I think international breaks should be scrapped! Getting withdrawal symptoms man!

• 82 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Jib, lmao! 🙂

• 83 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:11 PM

How sad is this
    I’m looking forward to a friendly between Cuba and USA in Havana just so I can see how well DeAndre Yedlin plays !

• 84 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Bobby…Just your normal self.

Nothing like a self proclaimed victory.

Enjoy it I guess.

One little thing though, my input would have been my input. You call it biased, which just sums up your problem on this blog. One set of rules for you and another for everyone else. Well, anyone who has a differing (sorry, “biased”) opinion.

• 85 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I apologize as I don’t comment on here as often as I once did. I felt if anything I was coming to your aid, and now you’re coming down on me for not being up to snuff with your cornucopia of daily posts. thanks for providing a quick reminder of why I don’t comment on here as often as I once did

• 86 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Sorry ymfb, not concentrating mate. Enjoying myself too much. Dunno why, but I repeatedly mix you two up. Must be an age thing eh? 🙂

• 87 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Ibiza, yeah, whatever. Go play sandcastles.

• 88 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM

So frigging boring with no league matches on this weekend.

• 89 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM

should be a great game.

I have been following Yedlin since he broke onto the international scene (dual US/Italian citizenship but seeing as I’m a toon fan, there seems to be something inherently sadistic behind me wanting to support the underdogs)

Before he went to Spurs I was really hoping he’d end up here. When we did eventually sign him this summer I was very skeptical. I felt like both Klinnsman and big sham had buried what made him special– his marauding forward runs. It seems Rafa has given him a bit more freedom in getting forward which can only be a good thing. Will be great to see what kind of game he brings tonight, and hopefully it’s more of what we’ve been seeing/listening to the last few weeks

• 90 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM

matty…No need to apologise for not posting frequently. That doesn’t determine whether a post holds substance or not, of course. Not sure where I’ve suggested such a thing?

I can see how part of your post was aiding my point to Jib, surely you see how part of your post was a dig at me.

Do people not expect other posters to respond when they’re mentioned?

• 91 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Don’t worry about it Bobby, it’s fine.

• 92 ShirebrookToon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:19 PM

It’s not sad. It just goes to show how much of a laughing stock our national team has become! USA play decent football under Klinsman

• 93 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:19 PM

sure, but for ‘you being you’ and all that, i’m surprised you took such offence to it

anyway, moving on…

• 94 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Ibiza could I have a 4 minute argument please

• 95 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Not football related all though that would be brilliant to watch but has anyone watched the walking dead series, I’m watching it at the moment and i must say its gory, I’m on series 2 episode 11.

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM

I think a few on here are in that series.

Ha ha ha

Only joking.

• 97 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM

matty….In the name of “moving on…” I guess I don’t have a response.

Jib…Not sure really. Is there an inanimate object eyeing you up? Give it hell.

• 98 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:27 PM

I’m a big fan bro. I went through the first 4 seasons in 2 weeks. Although in my opinion you’re in the worst season of the series.

• 99 sing in the corner // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Are you watching Chizzy get schooled by the oversized baby? Four nil, nailed on..

• 100 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM

for whats its worth, if I offended anyone by replying to questions about how the club is followed here, or my name on here… I apologize…

I never said I was an authority, I just have my opinions, which apparently aren’t very valid to some…

ive always come on here for years to read and learn from the ppl who can actually go to SJP… but this vendetta towards me is a trifle uncalled for… simply because who I talk to on here…

matty I have no idea who you are… and your ‘kind’ words mean a lot to me… be sure I wont engage you any further.. btw my name was given as a joke a few years back and I thought it was funny… nothing to do with nationalistic pride…

but if the few of you “holier than thou” types have an issue with me, so be it… ill continue to support the club ive chosen to…

• 101 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Welshie, enjoy the gore, it gets very slow after a while. The gore is what makes it what it is. Without wanting to sound zombieist naturally.
    Let’s try again. How’s your dad? Hope he’s as well as can be.
    You’re right about the international break – it sucks.

• 102 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM

The inmates have taken over the asylum tonight!

• 103 sing in the corner // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Oops 1.1 🙂

• 104 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Great series. Really liked the first four seasons. Thought it tapered off for a season and the whole plot and subplots became uber repetitive. It’s definitely gotten a whole lot better though. Looking forward to the upcoming season

• 105 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:35 PM

My dad is fine thanks mate, out of hospital just taking it easy, regarding the walking dead totally agree the series would be rubbish with the gore, really enjoying it.

• 106 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Jesus, pass the sick bag. Think I’ll watch the darts – soaps not my thing. 🙂 Darts isn’t really, but there is that competitive edge. Bye bye now.

• 107 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM

dok – do not be offended by the abuse.
    I believe in the US – you may know these types, who are wrecking the blog as red necks/ white trailer trash.

In the north east of England they are known as shyte and scumbag – criminal types.
    They like to abuse but cry when people stand up to them. You get shouted down if you make a joke – but it’s ok if they do it.
    You get abuse for non footballing posts – but it’s alright if they do it,
    They start off the sniping then accuse others of doing it.
    Pure scum – always spoil it for the decent folk.

• 108 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM

A few of my mates have said series 2 is probably the worst ones out of them all, quite slow in some episodes.

• 109 welshgeordie9 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:39 PM

One of my favourite shows up there with my no 1 favourite, Breaking Bad.

• 110 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:39 PM

I’m just here to read and keep up with NUFC…. and maybe when I can make it to a game, be able to buy a pint for the ppl that helped me really understand what its like to support this club, and walk in with them as they show me everything ive dreamt of seeing…

• 111 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Nice to see ya back, fun on here these days eh?

• 112 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM

To make matter worse it’s a full moon on the 16th -the f***ers will be howling out their windows abusing their neighbours and scouring nearby fields looking for horses to assault.

• 113 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Just need Ian Toon to turn up and it’ll be a full house -backslapping each other.

• 114 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Yo…It’s great to be back (although I don’t think I’ve been “gone” really) 🙂

It’s a madhouse. You know when Jail is being used as the blogs poster boy for how to behave something has gone very wrong.

How’s tricks?

• 115 Average_Contents // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:50 PM

As long as we all keep quiet, don’t have an opinion if it alters from big gobs and just nod along then we’ll be OK because big gob proclaims it so.

Where this “don’t tell me what to do or say” comes from I’ll never know.

Another concocted notion. Much like his persona.

Speaking for the silent majority.

There’s a pattern emerging but it’s not a pretty one.

• 116 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Haha well I don’t see ur name often bud

Aye it’s interesting these days, more about personal issues than football I find. The gang mentality is pretty dull aswell

Things are good though am enjoying football again which is interesting how’s things with u fella? Spanish sun treating u well

• 117 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:56 PM

The beggars are out in force tonight on the blog – those wishing to challenge their double standards/duplicity/do as I say drivel – should be aware of their collective oath.

• 118 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM

AC…So pleased you’ve caught up. The blog should be lovely from this point on.

Yo…The summer season certainly does restrict my time somewhat. Luckily my last clients leave tomorrow (lucky for the blog that is 🙂 ).

Tbh, the gang mentality isn’t that new on here. It does happen somewhat organically and is really hard to not make it come across that way. Truth is, those who share opinions will generally get along better.

I do find the hypocrisy in the posts baffling though. I fully accept I am part of the problem, as I have a differing opinion and share it. Apparently that doesn’t work the other way around though. Seems odd, I thought that’s how blogs worked.

The Spanish sun has treated me very well. Actually, it’s treated my guests well, I’ve still got a dodgy English tan 🙂

• 119 geordieboy83 // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Evening all

I’m fairly sure this will fall on deaf ears but can all this sh1te stop. The most annoying things is the level of hypocrisy, the jib, Bobby, and whoever else crew are exactly the same as the tuff, ac and bandb camp. Just arguing over pointless crap. You’re all so alike it’s ridiculous. Then people like Ibiza, wwsbrd etc get drawn into it and it’s just crap. There are some really decent conversations to be had on here it’s rare I get to post as it gets lost in all the bullsh1t but I’ve had good debates with firebug, jail for Ashley, wwsbrd, Ibiza to name a few.

Then the blog is taken over with he said this and she said that. Ffs get a grip we have common ground in the fact the toon OUR club are giving us something to be chuffed about

• 120 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM

On another note, whatever happened to Beattie?

I know he came back in many different incarnations, but never kept up. Is he Jib?

• 121 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Geordie83…It’s a trap. It is near on impossible to comment on the problem without yourself becoming part of it.

Perhaps Ed should rename the site. Is available?

Matty…If true, that would break my heart.

• 122 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM

i won’t jump on your bandwagon as I lashed out at someone myself earlier, but you’re completely right in these camps that have been drawn. there is no difference and ain all honesty, these people harking back to the blogs good old days reek of trump supporters canonizing America’s bygone eras. the blog was never a place of peace and civility, and it’s always been like this. sure it has ebbs and flows, but a good 90% of routine posters make the blog what it is, but they’ll be damned if that’s a label they have to carry. it’s everyone else’s fault

• 123 mattyNUFC // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM

I’d find it hard to believe, but Jib’s got to be someone who used to be…..and I feel Beatties got to be someone who’s here now….

• 124 Average_Contents // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM

• 125 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM

matty…I’m not going to open the Jib can of worms, I’ve seen nothing to suggest that the original suspicion is the correct one.

I find it beyond believable that the Jib who posts on here was just a long term reader for any length of time.

As for Beattie, I too find it weird that he would suddenly disappear, but I don’t really get that Beattie vibe of anyone.

• 126 geordieboy83 // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Ibiza apologies when I said you get drawn I meant that you’re labelled with said group. Not an instigator, as from what I’ve witnessed you’re kinda on the fence 99% of the time. And you’re right it is a trap as soon as I sent the previous I though oh god I’ve just done what I was preaching to not be done ha ha

• 127 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM

AC…You are most welcome, although I’m not sure what for 🙂

matty…that should read “isn’t”, not “is the correct one”.

• 128 clinath@ed // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Have you seen that video on FB, where the baby runs down the corridor, sees something and turns around running off…?
    That’s how I felt as I was about to post, then checked to see what the mood was like…. 😉

• 129 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM

We’ve been kept abreast of some strange game called cricket.

Having taken a few Pimms or whatever while the game was playing out, a few G&Ts are called for.

Maybe it’s a good time for those involved in arguments, tiffs, spats or whatever? Please and for the sake of others, try to put them to one side and enjoy a the arguments to one side for a few hours otherwise folk’ll think you’re UKIP MEPs!

• 130 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Netherlands 2 Belarus 0 – no sign of de Jong

• 131 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:19 PM

GeordieBoy…If there has to be a group at all, it’s only fair that i’d be considered part of it.

The issue for me is, that as a supposed “group”, we don’t agree on everything. Really, no one can be grouped together on this blog in a general sense. It’s a reoccurring problem on here.

I loosely agree with what you said. I for one don’t think it’s as simple as everyone just moving on though. It’d be nice, I just don’t see it happening.

We are all toon fans though, you’d have thought somewhere down the line that would be enough, seeing as that’s what this blog is for.

• 132 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Don’t even know what to say at this point; Wish we could all just move on.

I had Lascelles as player of the season but at the moment it’s looking like Ritchie, Shelvey or Gouffran. Gouffran has been so surprising this season, really glad we never sold him.

• 133 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Forgot to add to @129

Please rearrange it to make sense and read coherently.

• 134 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Clinath…It usually takes about 20 minutes these days for me to actually hit the submit button.

Maybe Ed could introduce some sort of mood ring system for our little pictures?

• 135 clinath@ed // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM

I get the shakes Ibiza…or is it the yips?

• 136 geordieboy83 // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM

With the internationals it got me wondering, who realistically is the next toon player to play for England? Woodman could be but it’ll be a tough ask. Arma I’m sure will have a great future but alas I don’t think he will quite get in there. If colback gets in there then it’s a sad state of affairs for England. Then there’s shelvey who has the class but does he have the consistency?

• 137 clinath@ed // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM

I only ever use the desktop version now, what picture have I got?

• 138 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Clinath…On the desktop version myself. If you look at the top right hand corner, next to where it says “Howdy, Clinath@ed” you’ll see your picture.

In response to your post @ 135, you might need to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

83…Arma seems to have featured and done very well for England at all under levels, so you’d have to hope that’ll continue all the way to the senior team.

• 139 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM

So do we all have different pictures in the top right corner? Mine is a reddish square.

• 140 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:47 PM

If it’s any consolation I reckon things will become calmer when the league games start again.

I reckon there’s a lot of boredom and frustration around during these breaks.

GB83 I wouldn’t be surprised if Shelvey is being considered for a call up, he’d be my bet.

• 141 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Ron Knee…We do indeed. I have a picture of Es Vedra with the sun setting in the background, but picked that myself. I think by default you get a coloured pattern.

• 142 Ibizatoon // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Time to eat. Have a fun filled evening one and all.

• 143 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM

• 144 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM

I would say that Shelvey is well in the lead at the moment based upon the voting stats. He seems to be top two usually.

• 145 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I have to admit to being a cricket fan but I can see why non cricket country people would find it strange to have a game that can last for over five days.

• 146 Average_Contents // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Obviously for implying I’m going to brighten up the blog.

That means a lot coming from you.

• 147 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Essex, wouldn’t suprise me. He has been Really good this season, I wish he was more consistent because if he was he would be top class.

• 148 sing in the corner // Oct 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM

The thing is…he is playing well, but there is clearly more to come from Shelvey. He can get better, most definitely has plenty of talent. Rafa’s a good bet to get the odd from him now his head seems to be in a good place

• 149 sing in the corner // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Odd = best

• 150 hibbit // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM

seems odd to me that folk are saying doc’s not a true supporter being a yank but are quit happy to say this on an american website odd that
    are they all banned from the uk ones that the have to slum it on one from the other side of the pound

• 151 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Apart from the Wolves game I would say he has been very consistent this season.

Fitness levels are so important to an athlete in any sport, I would think anyone on the blog who has played a lot of sport would back that up.

He has apparently trained really hard in the close season and I think that’s the key to his improved performances. Which is really what a lot of us have been saying.

• 152 Belfast // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Jib is this your doing – this blog coup currently going on ?

Me and you outside ? Mano a mano ?

• 153 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Every time I look at the last thread heading I want to punch the screen.

In terms of love we were jilted so sling your hook Andros,

Sorry for that Rant over.

• 154 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I think it’s more like a blog Coop, a load of clucking chickens.

Oops diving for cover!!

• 155 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Belfast jo prefiero pito a pito

• 156 Belfast // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Essex bill – He came he saw he went. Moving to Palace did seem a strange move though but he’s probably thinking he won’t be there for long if he replicates his form of the last six months of the season.

• 157 Belfast // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM

You get very little loyalty from any players these days like.

• 158 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

I return to the blog after 15 minutes of Cuba v USA

Yedlin is playing – I hope he ends the game unscathed !

It’s a bit like watching Anfield plain v Tow Law

Jurgen Klinsmann is sitting pitchside on an office chair he had to ask for.

The pitch looks like they shooed the cows off an hour before KO

The Cuban coach looks like the 3rd cornet player from the Buena Vista Jazz club.

The rum sellers pitchside are doing a roaring trade.

Hurricane Matthew is only hours away

• 159 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Just hope that Yedlin doesn’t end up in Kansas.

Do they sell a lot of rum at Anfield Plains ground.

And all joking aside that hurricane has flattened Haiti and done a lot of damage to Cuba, terrible for them.

• 160 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM

geordieboy83 – I certainly object to being lumped in the same bracket as some of the folk you name. On here I have objected to abuse of disabled people. Irish People, homosexuals, gay folk, downs syndrome folk, spastics, the use of filthy gutter talk, the championing of assaulting people, the championing of foul abuse against Toon fans at the match.
    Plus xenophobia and racism.
    I will also mock on a regular basis – the culprits of the above mentioned behaviour/ abuse. Trying to at least have a DECENT moral standard on here.
    Was I wasting my time????????

• 161 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Ty hibbitt, it seems the renegade supporters think im a stupid colonial.. all i know is ive been here for years and get slagged when jib and his posse are banged up on cheap schnapps

• 162 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 3:48 AM

To be brutally honest, you are no better than those you mentioned as well as those who support you.

You contribute to NUFC discussion well but you also intimidate people beyond the necessary. A man of your age should know better. I fully expect an abusive reply back but hope not and rake my comments on board.

The chief intimidator on here JIB has had a go at TOF which was totally unnecessary. TOF lives close to me in Australia and JIB should understand the time differences involved as maybe the reason he didnt reply……or naybe ge us just too mature to get sucked in JIB.

I suggest you google the time difference between Melbourne and wherever you chose to reside.

previous post: The Fans Loved Me – Everyone Loved Me At Newcastle