The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Fans Loved Me – Everyone Loved Me At Newcastle

12:25 pm, Friday, October 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

Andros Townsend has been doing the rounds today and he has given interviews in the Mirror and the Times.

We have covered his interview in the Mirror where he says Rafa Benitez made him into a better player and he was sorry to leave Newcastle because  Rafa had been so fantastic with him on Tyneside.

He also says his relationship with Rafa is still a good one and that the Newcastle manager texted him his congratulations when he got a call-up for the England side earlier this week.

andros townsend and Rafa Benitez

Andros Townsend with Rafa Benitez
Go out there and score 3 goals for us

In the Times he is saying it’s the first time in his career that he felt loved at any club he’s been at.

And if you include the clubs he’s been on loan to in his career we reckon that’s 12 clubs in total.

This is what he has said in the Times.

“It was the first time in my career that I actually did feel loved and did feel right.”

“The fans were great with me, everyone loved me.”

“On the last game of the season against Spurs, the standing ovation when I got subbed was incredible, it made the hair on my arms stand up.”

“It was extremely difficult to leave but football is a short career and sometime you use your head as opposed to your heart.”

“England featured in that decision to leave Newcastle. A year taking a step back in the Championship I decided I couldn’t really do that.”

“I’ve matured a lot and am getting crosses early into the box.”

“That is getting me more assists. I’m happy to be at Palace now, everything’s going well.”

Townsend was not named in Gareth Southgate’s initial England squad, but he was brought in for the injured Raheem Sterling.

Last season was a turnaround season for him because at Tottenham he was completely out of favor with manager Mauricio Pochettino and he had that well publicized altercation with fitness coach Nathan Gardiner.

But that was more out of frustration than anything else.

And when you are a very good player in Newcastle’s famous black and white stripes – you get to be loved by the Geordie fans – and rather quickly too.

Players like Matt Ritchie – who was Townsend’s replacement at Newcastle – are finding that out this season.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Coaching · England News · International break · International News · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM

What I just said. 😉

• 2 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM

The question is if we got promoted and Rafa wanted him back – would you take him ?

Of course you would

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Reposted as we don’t want our words of wisdom to languish in the past.

Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Footballers never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. You’ve been struggling to get a game for ages, forgotten about completely and your career has stalled. You get a move to club – a big club also – and things start to work. Rafa comes in and boosts your game to heights forgotten. Turns you back on track towards international recognition and the fans love you. We get relegated – clearly a temporary setback – but Rafa stays. What do you do? Sign for Palace and Pardew. Pardew or Rafa? Der! Pardew!! The mind boggles.

2AncientC // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Townsend speaking about his decision to leave Newcastle and informing Benitez: “He understood when I made my decision, I dropped him a text to let him know.”

Townsend not only showing how dense he is with that remark, but proving what a shirker he is… sending Benitez a text indeed.

3Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Sorry Andros, you ran out first chance you got, I don’t wish you ill but you’ll get no welcome from me when you turn out for spurs against us next season.

4Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM

He’ll be a bit hard to spot in the Spurs team.

Yes my brain wasn’t fully in gear there, I meant Palace of course. 🙂

• 4 AncientC // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Sending somebody a sms – the type of courtesy you would expect from a cheapskate sending low-ball offers for items on Gumtree.

I would be curious if Townsend let Parish know he was joining Palace, after he “dropped him a text to let him know”.

Stay classy, Andros.

• 5 U.S Magpie // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Andros I was one of the few people on this blog that said you were a good signing and you would come good with our team and Rafa. With that said I wish you all the total shite you deserve, your career was over lets face it, no one wanted you and Rafa comes in and gets you playing some of your best ever football. The fans started to love you and then low and behold you look at us the say Phuck you I’m going to Palace, you little ungrateful piece of shit.

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Jib, I get behind every player who we sign and anybody who strengthens our squad is always welcome. Doesn’t alter the fact that he made the wrong choice though mate! 🙂

• 7 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM

There’s a job waiting for you in the Diplomatic Corps

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Twenty minutes and no riposte from ToF.
    Methinks he’s been rumbled.
    Probably acquiring a new user name…

hi pot, meet kettle…

• 9 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Strange that the two main threads of discussion this morning are Townsend and Colback.
    Really Andros’ behaviour should make us reflect on how the Unwashed perceive Colback jumping the red and white ship.

• 10 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:03 PM

be interesting to see if palace get relegated, what Andros would do then as we wave at them in passing.. maybe beg to come back ?

• 11 microbar // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Townsend had no say in where he played Hazel his wag told him to move to London end of.
    Dont think you are wearing the trousers in your house Andros.

• 12 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Don’t you start with that multiples nonsense.

Why a guy in Texas (from New York of Irish descent ) who clearly loves the town – should want to get involved with the chidish infighting that goes on here from time to time – baffles me.
    Maybe you think you’ll get more acceptance if you partake of the stupidity – quien sabes ?

• 13 Munster Mag // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Was surprised when he moved on ….he wudnt have gone to palace if they were , say, in the midlands. In fairness Pardew is doing well there, and although we all hope he will go on one of his huge runs of defeats, he is showing that he is the average / below average mgr that he is, not the complete dunderhead that the Catchys and Rotunda’s had him painted as…cue Mister Tuff telling me to eat jellied eels 🙂 . The big difference is that he has been allowed to buy the pace and power that suits his football approach, and not had guys like anita and wimps like marveaux dumped on him by a scout who was strangely buying most of his players from the same agency! Obviously I hope Palace go down though and Pardews media mates can stop blaming NUFC fans for his failings with us.

• 14 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Not sure he made the wrong choice really, hes in the PL and the England squad, looking pretty good to me

• 15 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Over 300 runs in a ODI against Bangladesh for England – pretty good.

• 16 hibbit // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:15 PM

it shows me Townsend wasnt up for the fight and jumped ship
    Rafa wont want him back
    when the going gets tough the tough get going
    Townsend bottled it

• 17 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Jib, don’t be too harsh, he’s following orders from the erstwhile firm of Gobalot & Dolittle. 🙂 🙂

• 18 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM

WWSBRD, maybe if you think short term, you may be right, but he joined a club that only just escaped relegation. My point addressed his long term future – improve with a great coach or Pardew? Even his current form can be traced back to Rafa and he as much as admits that. So yes, I see why you say that mate and right now, this second, you’re right. It’s just that long term, how good could Rafa have made him? Something nobody will know for certain, but his future was better served under a top, top manager than it could be under Pardew. Imo anyway. 🙂

• 19 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Crystal Palace to finish ninth as TalkSport’s super computer tips Sunderland, Hull and Burnley for relegation

• 20 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM

He wont stay long at Palace if he can help it, he will have a relegation release clause with them as well and hes one of those players who will always find a home

Also Pardew wont be at Palace long term and the next manager they get could be a very good coach

And tbf Rafa simply give him game time to get back to where he was when he played for QPR

• 21 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I don’t need acceptance… I know who I am, and who I support… I think its sadly humorous that ppl can keep talking about multiples, when the proper thing to do is to simply let it go…

but thank you, ill go sit in my corner since I’m not a true supporter anyways… according to you..

• 22 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM

@17…and if that was aimed at me bobby… well, thank you as well..

• 23 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM

WWSBRD, lot of ifs and buts there, but Townsend readily admits that Rafa improved his game vastly. It’s one of those back and forth arguments that can’t be solved because we’ll never know. I doubt he joined on the off chance that Pardew might be removed. Anyway, like i say, we’ll never know. Shame, because I liked him here and would’ve liked to have seen defences cope with both him and Ritchie in full flight. Nothing against the lad personally, I just think he made a long term mistake for short term success. Agree to disagree? 🙂

• 24 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Dok, lighten up mate. I see the chance for a laugh and I take it, nothing personal.

• 25 NUFCPaul // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:45 PM

dok – don’t worry, Jib decided I wasn’t a true fan of football. Apparently he has the power on here to declare what we are, or so he thinks.

Still, I know this much based on his past comments, he’s a horrible little racist and homophobe, so I honestly treat whatever he says as a joke.

• 26 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:53 PM

I’m not little
    I’m not rascist
    I’m not a homophobe
    If you have evidence to the contrary please post it , otherwise keep your mouth shut there’s a good little shitstirrer.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Dok – what is you shout about Bob Bradley being appointed coach at Swansea. Any predictions.

What about the decent start Yedlin, (or should I say Señor Yedlin) has made so far.

Please be serious – no jokes.

• 28 WWSBRD // Oct 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Id say theres as many ifs and buts in ur argument as mine mate haha but aye am happy to agree to differ

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Sir Tuff,

as an American, I’m very pleased that Bradley took over swans… his name is almost legendary in American soccer, I wish him well… I think he may be able to keep them up, but interested to see what direction he takes with them… its good to see an American finally get a chance in the greatest soccer league…

in re to Yedlin, I couldn’t be happier to have him in the shirt, hes always been known as a very fast player here, and one of my favorites on the natl team.. I Will be getting his shirt as soon as I can convince the wife for the funds, and explain why I need a 7th toon jersey… hes young yes, but hes looked on with high regard here stateside… and def isn’t one that causes unneeded distractions…

• 30 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM

WWSBRD, lot of ifs and buts in many an argument mate. 🙂 I suppose in this one it was all ifs and buts because we’ll never know. Shame like, good player.

• 31 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:07 PM

also, isn’t Yedlin the 1st American to play for the toon? I believe so… makes me immensely happy if that’s indeed the case…

• 32 NUFCPaul // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Jib – don’t like the taste of your own medicine there I see. That’s absolutely made my day, cheers for that 😀

• 33 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM

No evidence of your accusations posted !

Could it be because it doesn’t exist ?

Happy to have made your day.

I must say you have a low gratification level

• 34 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Dok, we had another American defender who’s name completely slips my mind. Well known, somebody else will chip in no doubt and jog my memory – and yours. You know him, but like me… age mate, tells on us all! 🙂

• 35 Ron Knee // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I just jibbed this:-

Oguchialu Chijioke “Oguchi” Onyewu

• 36 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM

There you go! That’s the chap Ron, American international played centre back. I knew somebody had a better memory than me – or the sense to google it at least! 🙂 I thank you sir.

• 37 NUFCPaul // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Jib calling me a shitstirrer is a bit like Ronnie Corbett calling Peter Crouch ‘shorty’.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:37 PM

dok – thanks for that. Will certainly be interesting to see what Bradley senior does. They will need to buy in January – will the new American owner splash the cash.

• 39 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Sir tuff,

I’m sure you know his son is Micheal Bradley, mid for the US natl team…. and no worries, always happy to talk with you…

• 40 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM

dok – likewise – how do you get your Toon shirts any local outlets or do you have to get them mail order from either inside or outside the US.

• 41 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Sir tuff,

everything I get has to be ordered from the UK… even the stores here will only have the likes of manure, citeh and the usual rubbish clubs…

• 42 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM

I also rely on donations from friends haha

• 43 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Dok – liked the US team in the World Cup – two World Cups ago. Was impressed with Bradley -and his engine – tremendous fitness.

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 2:58 PM

It’s pretty cut and dried as far as Townsend goes, no need for arguments or discussion.

He was struggling to get into the spurs team, came to us was given first team status, was good enough to almost make the England team and should have.

Said how pleased he was to be with a big club and how it felt right for him. (not necessarily in those exact words)

We were relegated and he wanted out despite all of his previous positive comments about club and fans.

He obviously felt we were now not good enough for him and Rafa could see that so he sold him at less than he cost (I believe)

Would I want him back, not even on a free, he’s shown his colours and gone, that’s it for me.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM

dok – not sure about US time zones -but has the friendly with Cuba started -is it on the telly -has Yedlin started.

• 46 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM

tuff, it starts at 3pm central, so about 9pm for you and he should be starting…

• 47 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM

it will be on ESPN over here..

• 48 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Bradley’s problem is that he is going to manage a struggling team, he’ll find it harder than Rafa did with us, although he has more time to turn things around. Swansea might survive but it’ll be more down to the other struggling teams if they do.

• 49 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:06 PM

I think swans will survive… barely… with mackems, hull, and middlesborough taking the drop… who do you see?

• 50 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:08 PM

dok – thanks for that if I can find a stream I might watch the game to see how Yedlin does.

• 51 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:12 PM

sir tuff,

anytime my friend 🙂 I believe if you have the espn app you will be able to watch it… free of charge…

• 52 lesh // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:12 PM

What’s my Turkish like?

Now that was without Google….. And about the extent of my command of the language!

• 53 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Cuba v USA is on ESPN2 if you can get it.
    ( I can )

• 54 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM

You have a Turkish wife
    You know one word in Turkish
    You take the piss out of me for my linguistic efforts !
    You sure you ain’t a mackem ?

• 55 Jib // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM

I must remember that when I see a bunch of South African fans shouting “Come on you Boks”
    Ha ha

• 56 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:43 PM

The cricket looks interesting Jib. They’re on target at the mo, but a couple of wickets can change that rapidly.

• 57 Bobbybee // Oct 7, 2016 at 3:45 PM

…and right on cue 🙂

• 58 MidlandsMag // Oct 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM

I was trawling my way through the usual wearisome stuff but this really made me laugh – nothing like a bit of honest vitriol. Well done

• 59 MidlandsMag // Oct 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM