Midfielder – Why It’s Nice To Play For This Great Football Club

Jonjo Shelvey has been playing very well for Newcastle recently as he takes on the play-maker role in the team and he’s looking very good and one of the best players in the Championship.

Jonjo was also doing some good deeds himself in the local area as he was visiting Shanklea Primary School in Cramlington to surprise ball-boy Joshua Follin.

That was the ball-boy Jonjo hoisted aloft as he was celebrating Dwight Gayle’s goal that gave us the sensational 4-3 win against the Canaries.

It’s really good when  the players do things like this in the community and  for the youngsters in the area.

jonjo-shelvey-at-qpr

Jonjo Shelvey in action for Newcastle

Let’s just say that Jonjo didn’t enjoy playing at Rotherham United last time out, but we will have a number of games like this in the Championship, especially away from home.

The opposition will do everything they can to make it as difficult as they can for Newcastle.

Jonjo talked about the game at the New York Stadium on the Newcastle web-site:

“It was a horrible match to play in – the ball was in the air for probably 80% of the match – but the main thing was getting the three points.”

“If you’re going to go up in this league you need to go to places like that and get the points.”

“I thought we defended really well; we battled throughout and we showed real heart and desire to get the three points.”

“There will be more ‘glamorous’ games coming up, but it was nice to go there and get the three points because you can see what it means to those teams.”

“Playing against Newcastle is probably the pinnacle of their season so we needed to match their work rate, effort and desire and then that extra bit of quality can shine through for us.”

“In this league, games come thick and fast. I’ve played in the last few games in this little period before the international break so it’s nice to have a break now, get some rest and then go again for Brentford.”

“But on the flip side, when you’re winning you don’t want to stop. You want to keep playing and playing and playing and keep winning games, because the more points you get under your belt the better.”

“It’s just nice to play for this great football club. I’d play left-back if I had to, as long as I was on that pitch and starting every week.”

“I know it’s a team game but you are obviously disappointed when you don’t start – I think you’d be mad not to be disappointed, but you have to take that on the chin and I’ve done that.”

“I started the season on the bench but now I’ve got myself into the team and my plan is to stay in the team and keep fighting for my place week in, week out.”

It was one of the few Newcastle games that have been broadcast on beIN Sports in the US this season.

We thought the Newcastle players were excellent in that they concentrated throughout the game and it would have been so easy to have conceded a goal.

Rotherham came at us in those first 20 minutes and then near the end – but we held out well and had a little bit of luck that you always need in games like this.

It was a great 3 points.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM

I’m not worried about Heaney – he can look after himself – but Lithuania are a big physical side – I hope Ritchie comes out OK.
    By gum I hate the international breaks.

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Martoon…..from earlier

Nah mate, I’m not dead central, but middle tier left hand side of the goal from my view. Cheap seats 🙂

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Despite the break, there things around to discuss. This is an observation on how the coaching team works, fitness and how the teams are picked.

It also repeats the frequently overlooked or ignored truth that Benitez was not head-hunted, but offered his services to Newcastle.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Here we go again more insults.
    For the last two days I have posted that if he does not mention me I will reciprocate – to no avail the insults/digs continue.
    The latest theme is to call me “anally retentive” – (nothing to do with Sigmund Freuds theories about being a perfectionist – now largely dismissed) but clear – along with what else has said over recent weeks -quite clear – he is trying to suggest that I am gay/a homosexual.
    Trying to label somebody a gay/homosexual is clearly an insult/something derogatory in his book -which suggests more about him and how his mind works.
    I would add I am not gay.
    Is that acceptable in todays’ society -I think not and confirms bigotry and prejudice.

For the third day running I ask that I am not mentioned and I will reciprocate.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM

The story in the Spanish press at the time was that when Rafa’s agent Manuel García Quilón phoned Lee Charnley (who speaks passable Spanish) to first broach the subject of Rafa coming to SJP – Charnley hung up thinking it was a hoax.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM

JIB

Another one of your dreams……how would you kniw such a thing anyway?

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM

GDay TUFF

I wouldnt worry too much about those tosspots mate. Their reps are well known.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Expat.

I don’t know such a thing.

As I said it was reported in the Spanish press.

The football world in Spain is a lot more confiding in , and trusting of , their press corps than in the UK.

That was one of the things Guillem Balague found discomfiting when he first came to work here.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

JIB

Sounds very much like bollox to me

• Mister Tuff

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

expat – morning hows things.
    Got to laugh at them in some respects – when I mentioned to Young Magpie last night that I was 18 stone and could look after myself – even that is derided/rebuked and used as the basis of an insult.

Anyway – hope for better things. let’s await and see what happens.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM

expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    JIB
    Sounds very much like bollox to me

There you go

That’s better than – – – Another one of your dreams

If you can be arsed you’ll find it in this archive I think

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Very good read that article. Thanks for posting the link Jib and BandB 🙂

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM

On the subject of Shelvey, I wonder if there’s a “plan B” if he gets injured and out for any length of time? Who would replace him as the creative force in midfield I wonder.

• Legolas

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM

TOF,

I personally think he is irreplaceable. He makes us tick in midfield. Great player for us and I am really pleased he stayed and I think he loves playing for Newcadtle.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM

JIB

I cant be arsed as you say. Press reports are usually inaccurate anyway. If you believe these type of stories, then you are more naive than I thought you were beforehand.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM

TUFF

Good job they dont know you like I know you……lol

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM

I thought a 1-0 win at Rotherham was a canny result. Not the most glamorous and certainly nothing like the Norwich game, but no two games are alike in reality. Plus of course, a potential new star showed himself.

Sing, enjoy the game mate. 🙂 You’ve got a decent view from there and the Leazes isn’t exactly quiet. You’ll get your tonsils exercised during the game. Hope you have a belting time mate, before, during and after the game. Of course, if you hear any foul or abusive language, you realise it’s your duty as a fine upstanding fan to report it to the nearest police officer., don’t you? 🙂

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Legolas. Yes, I tend to agree. Irreplaceable. But you know, according to Ed, we’ve just had a “magic” transfer window, so I suppose Charnley or Rafa will wave a magic wand and turn one of the planks they signed into a creative midfielder. I guess that must be plan B.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Expat
    I never said I believed it.
    I simply reported it.
    Any excuse for a pop.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Never mind jib, many more appreciate your efforts than don’t. 🙂 Can’t please all of the people, all of the time as they say. (Whoever they are!)

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Tof, what are you going to do when we get promoted mate? That pile of humble pie just keeps growing bigger. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM

We did sign somebody with a magic hat this season… maybe that might do the trick. 🙂

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Unlike Sunderland in the January window we will:-
    a.
    be attractive to any midfielder that fancies a move
    b.
    have enough money to buy one.
    c.
    have a manager who has a vision for the future not just scrabbling from game to game,

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM

There’s a blog game for you, the a-z of “Unlike Sunderland…”

Jib’s Attractive can stay for A. I’ve got the answer for C…

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I think it’s quite clever of The Pumas to opt to play the Wallabies at Twickenham in the Rugby championship. I fancy the Argies to beat the Aussies.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM

JIB

Why report it if you dont believe it then?

Seems like stirring it.

As for having a pop, you are the master at that so it is funny seeing you play yhe sympathy vote here. Guess I wont be the only one laughing.at you.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Indeed, good game. Nobody would argue that you are the answer to c, so you take that one… 🙂 Nobody would like to steal your thunder on here, we’re all nice chaps.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Not even me, Bobby?

Why are you starting with me today, surely you haven’t lost your own game already?

This can’t and wont work if you continue to plaster your side of events over the blog and insist that no one else can.

Reading back the blog, I’d say the silent majority are just that, silent. Some fall on your side of things, others don’t. I don’t see any winners, just people who have different opinions. Not that you’ll care, of course 🙂

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I am shocked. It was violins yesterday, now were back to normal. Never mind jib, join me on my refuse to bite campaign. We all see whete this is going, rise above it and laugh. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jib tends to be the one baiting people rather than biting

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM

I’m going to go out now, as I can definitely see where this is going. No wonder you can too Bobby, you’ve started it, with me anyway.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Expat
    Could I book a 7 minute argument please ?
    Ha ha ha

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM

JIB

You would lose that.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Sorry ibiza, i must have misread your post. No, feel free to plaster away, i’m done with it for now. Although thinking back… yes, my post was a response to something if you check. Still, don’t let that bother you. I’m not biting today and frankly, why would I need to? A fine job is being done by silence. Look at this, we agree again! You’re so right, I don’t care.
    Now, if all you have is mealy mouthed attempted insults, please refrain. One, they backfire, but mainly, I have no desire to converse with you. I can’t make that any clearer without being rude, so run along leave me out of it. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM

The game on here appears to be Tennis as insults are lobbed back and forth.

There’s never any winners (just losers) so why bother.

Anyway glad to see my selection for MOS doing so well, just need Gouff to get some of his hot shooting into the net and I’ll be home and dry.

Off now to get some real English apples from an ancient orchard. Can never understand why the French ones get the name Delicious, they are sh!te.

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Ibiza

Gday mate. Been a while. I see you gave been upsetting someone. Shame on you.

Punishment is a trip to the beach to count the number of “white pointers” sunning themselves……lol

• expatmag

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM

ESSEX BILL

Quire right too. We need to be nice to each other.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Bill, without wishing to upset anybody by going off football, I have to say you are so right. French ‘delicious’ apples are gross. No taste whatsoever. 🙂 Give me a grannie smith any day. Hope I haven’t breeched any xenophobia rules by expressing my dislike for French apples. I find there are some sensitive souls on here. 🙂

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Good effort today bloggers..
    On topic, sort of – Shelvey’s upturn in form is very welcome, and seems to have coincided with him having been ‘reduced to the ranks’. Don’t think he turned out to be captain material really…
    Oh and shedding a bit of timber / getting fit might have helped too. He can get far better than he is, if he sorts out the mental side of the game in my opinion.