The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Midfielder – Why It’s Nice To Play For This Great Football Club

8:37 am, Saturday, October 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey has been playing very well for Newcastle recently as he takes on the play-maker role in the team and he’s looking very good and one of the best players in the Championship.

Jonjo was also doing some good deeds himself in the local area as he was visiting Shanklea Primary School in Cramlington to surprise ball-boy Joshua Follin.

That was the ball-boy Jonjo hoisted aloft as he was celebrating Dwight Gayle’s goal that gave us the sensational 4-3 win against the Canaries.

It’s really good when  the players do things like this in the community and  for the youngsters in the area.

jonjo-shelvey-at-qpr

Jonjo Shelvey in action for Newcastle

Let’s just say that Jonjo didn’t enjoy playing at Rotherham United last time out, but we will have a number of games like this in the Championship, especially away from home.

The opposition will do everything they can to make it as difficult as they can for Newcastle.

Jonjo talked about the game at the New York Stadium on the Newcastle web-site:

“It was a horrible match to play in – the ball was in the air for probably 80% of the match – but the main thing was getting the three points.”

“If you’re going to go up in this league you need to go to places like that and get the points.”

“I thought we defended really well; we battled throughout and we showed real heart and desire to get the three points.”

“There will be more ‘glamorous’ games coming up, but it was nice to go there and get the three points because you can see what it means to those teams.”

“Playing against Newcastle is probably the pinnacle of their season so we needed to match their work rate, effort and desire and then that extra bit of quality can shine through for us.”

“In this league, games come thick and fast. I’ve played in the last few games in this little period before the international break so it’s nice to have a break now, get some rest and then go again for Brentford.”

“But on the flip side, when you’re winning you don’t want to stop. You want to keep playing and playing and playing and keep winning games, because the more points you get under your belt the better.”

“It’s just nice to play for this great football club. I’d play left-back if I had to, as long as I was on that pitch and starting every week.”

“I know it’s a team game but you are obviously disappointed when you don’t start – I think you’d be mad not to be disappointed, but you have to take that on the chin and I’ve done that.”

“I started the season on the bench but now I’ve got myself into the team and my plan is to stay in the team and keep fighting for my place week in, week out.”

It was one of the few Newcastle games that have been broadcast on beIN Sports in the US this season.

We thought the Newcastle players were excellent in that they concentrated throughout the game and it would have been so easy to have conceded a goal.

Rotherham came at us in those first 20 minutes and then near the end – but we held out well and had a little bit of luck that you always need in games like this.

It was a great 3 points.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle192140
2Brighton191739
3Reading19234
4Birmingham19231
5Sheffield Wednesday19131
6Norwich19430

Tags: Championship · Interview · Jonjo Shelvey · Management · Newcastle News

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM

I’m not worried about Heaney – he can look after himself – but Lithuania are a big physical side – I hope Ritchie comes out OK.
    By gum I hate the international breaks.

• 2 sing in the corner // Oct 8, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Martoon…..from earlier

Nah mate, I’m not dead central, but middle tier left hand side of the goal from my view. Cheap seats 🙂

• 3 BandB // Oct 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Despite the break, there things around to discuss. This is an observation on how the coaching team works, fitness and how the teams are picked.

It also repeats the frequently overlooked or ignored truth that Benitez was not head-hunted, but offered his services to Newcastle.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Here we go again more insults.
    For the last two days I have posted that if he does not mention me I will reciprocate – to no avail the insults/digs continue.
    The latest theme is to call me “anally retentive” – (nothing to do with Sigmund Freuds theories about being a perfectionist – now largely dismissed) but clear – along with what else has said over recent weeks -quite clear – he is trying to suggest that I am gay/a homosexual.
    Trying to label somebody a gay/homosexual is clearly an insult/something derogatory in his book -which suggests more about him and how his mind works.
    I would add I am not gay.
    Is that acceptable in todays’ society -I think not and confirms bigotry and prejudice.

For the third day running I ask that I am not mentioned and I will reciprocate.

• 5 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM

The story in the Spanish press at the time was that when Rafa’s agent Manuel García Quilón phoned Lee Charnley (who speaks passable Spanish) to first broach the subject of Rafa coming to SJP – Charnley hung up thinking it was a hoax.

• 6 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM

JIB

Another one of your dreams……how would you kniw such a thing anyway?

• 7 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM

GDay TUFF

I wouldnt worry too much about those tosspots mate. Their reps are well known.

• 8 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Expat.

I don’t know such a thing.

As I said it was reported in the Spanish press.

The football world in Spain is a lot more confiding in , and trusting of , their press corps than in the UK.

That was one of the things Guillem Balague found discomfiting when he first came to work here.

• 9 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

JIB

Sounds very much like bollox to me

• 10 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM

expat – morning hows things.
    Got to laugh at them in some respects – when I mentioned to Young Magpie last night that I was 18 stone and could look after myself – even that is derided/rebuked and used as the basis of an insult.

Anyway – hope for better things. let’s await and see what happens.

• 11 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM

expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    JIB
    Sounds very much like bollox to me

There you go

That’s better than – – – Another one of your dreams

If you can be arsed you’ll find it in this archive I think

• 12 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Rafa’s coaching team explained

• 13 ShirebrookToon // Oct 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Very good read that article. Thanks for posting the link Jib and BandB 🙂

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM

On the subject of Shelvey, I wonder if there’s a “plan B” if he gets injured and out for any length of time? Who would replace him as the creative force in midfield I wonder.

• 15 Legolas // Oct 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM

TOF,

I personally think he is irreplaceable. He makes us tick in midfield. Great player for us and I am really pleased he stayed and I think he loves playing for Newcadtle.

• 16 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM

JIB

I cant be arsed as you say. Press reports are usually inaccurate anyway. If you believe these type of stories, then you are more naive than I thought you were beforehand.

• 17 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM

TUFF

Good job they dont know you like I know you……lol

• 18 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM

I thought a 1-0 win at Rotherham was a canny result. Not the most glamorous and certainly nothing like the Norwich game, but no two games are alike in reality. Plus of course, a potential new star showed himself.

Sing, enjoy the game mate. 🙂 You’ve got a decent view from there and the Leazes isn’t exactly quiet. You’ll get your tonsils exercised during the game. Hope you have a belting time mate, before, during and after the game. Of course, if you hear any foul or abusive language, you realise it’s your duty as a fine upstanding fan to report it to the nearest police officer., don’t you? 🙂

• 19 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Legolas. Yes, I tend to agree. Irreplaceable. But you know, according to Ed, we’ve just had a “magic” transfer window, so I suppose Charnley or Rafa will wave a magic wand and turn one of the planks they signed into a creative midfielder. I guess that must be plan B.

• 20 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Expat
    I never said I believed it.
    I simply reported it.
    Any excuse for a pop.

• 21 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Never mind jib, many more appreciate your efforts than don’t. 🙂 Can’t please all of the people, all of the time as they say. (Whoever they are!)

• 22 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Tof, what are you going to do when we get promoted mate? That pile of humble pie just keeps growing bigger. 🙂

• 23 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM

We did sign somebody with a magic hat this season… maybe that might do the trick. 🙂

• 24 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Unlike Sunderland in the January window we will:-
    a.
    be attractive to any midfielder that fancies a move
    b.
    have enough money to buy one.
    c.
    have a manager who has a vision for the future not just scrabbling from game to game,

• 25 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM

There’s a blog game for you, the a-z of “Unlike Sunderland…”

Jib’s Attractive can stay for A. I’ve got the answer for C…

• 26 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I think it’s quite clever of The Pumas to opt to play the Wallabies at Twickenham in the Rugby championship. I fancy the Argies to beat the Aussies.

• 27 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM

JIB

Why report it if you dont believe it then?

Seems like stirring it.

As for having a pop, you are the master at that so it is funny seeing you play yhe sympathy vote here. Guess I wont be the only one laughing.at you.

• 28 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Indeed, good game. Nobody would argue that you are the answer to c, so you take that one… 🙂 Nobody would like to steal your thunder on here, we’re all nice chaps.

• 29 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Not even me, Bobby?

Why are you starting with me today, surely you haven’t lost your own game already?

This can’t and wont work if you continue to plaster your side of events over the blog and insist that no one else can.

Reading back the blog, I’d say the silent majority are just that, silent. Some fall on your side of things, others don’t. I don’t see any winners, just people who have different opinions. Not that you’ll care, of course 🙂

• 30 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I am shocked. It was violins yesterday, now were back to normal. Never mind jib, join me on my refuse to bite campaign. We all see whete this is going, rise above it and laugh. 🙂

• 31 WWSBRD // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jib tends to be the one baiting people rather than biting

• 32 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM

I’m going to go out now, as I can definitely see where this is going. No wonder you can too Bobby, you’ve started it, with me anyway.

• 33 Jib // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Expat
    Could I book a 7 minute argument please ?
    Ha ha ha

• 34 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM

JIB

You would lose that.

• 35 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Sorry ibiza, i must have misread your post. No, feel free to plaster away, i’m done with it for now. Although thinking back… yes, my post was a response to something if you check. Still, don’t let that bother you. I’m not biting today and frankly, why would I need to? A fine job is being done by silence. Look at this, we agree again! You’re so right, I don’t care.
    Now, if all you have is mealy mouthed attempted insults, please refrain. One, they backfire, but mainly, I have no desire to converse with you. I can’t make that any clearer without being rude, so run along leave me out of it. 🙂

• 36 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM

The game on here appears to be Tennis as insults are lobbed back and forth.

There’s never any winners (just losers) so why bother.

Anyway glad to see my selection for MOS doing so well, just need Gouff to get some of his hot shooting into the net and I’ll be home and dry.

Off now to get some real English apples from an ancient orchard. Can never understand why the French ones get the name Delicious, they are sh!te.

• 37 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Ibiza

Gday mate. Been a while. I see you gave been upsetting someone. Shame on you.

Punishment is a trip to the beach to count the number of “white pointers” sunning themselves……lol

• 38 expatmag // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM

ESSEX BILL

Quire right too. We need to be nice to each other.

• 39 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Bill, without wishing to upset anybody by going off football, I have to say you are so right. French ‘delicious’ apples are gross. No taste whatsoever. 🙂 Give me a grannie smith any day. Hope I haven’t breeched any xenophobia rules by expressing my dislike for French apples. I find there are some sensitive souls on here. 🙂

• 40 sing in the corner // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Good effort today bloggers..
    On topic, sort of – Shelvey’s upturn in form is very welcome, and seems to have coincided with him having been ‘reduced to the ranks’. Don’t think he turned out to be captain material really…
    Oh and shedding a bit of timber / getting fit might have helped too. He can get far better than he is, if he sorts out the mental side of the game in my opinion.

• 41 Offkey // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I actually will only eat apples of the ‘delicious’ variety. I like the thin skins, reminds me of a few on here.

Put your big boy pants on ffs

• 42 clinath@ed // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Stick to football Bobby, you fckall about apples….. ?

• 43 clinath@ed // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

😉

• 44 sing in the corner // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Bobby@39
    Good to see you reaching out to the Aussies too mate 🙂

• 45 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Sing, just been reading the mag for my sins. He says on there he would be happy to just play for us, saying he would even play left back if required. Really? Strange you should say that Jonjo…. 🙂

• 46 sing in the corner // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Clint
    🙂

• 47 Offkey // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:26 PM

• 48 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Clint, I’m shocked and stunned. After football, tasting apples is a favourite hobby of mine. We all have different tastes or there would be ño need for different options. Grannie Smith’s are mouth watering, whereas French golden delicious are just watering your mouth. A well known saying amongst the apple tasting fraternity. Or did I just make that up? Sussed again. You’re correct, I know little about apples, but I know what I like and that’s far more important. 🙂

• 49 clinath@ed // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Ha! That’s how you put Bobby in his place.
    Nearly typed “How’d ya like them apples..” But I’m better than that

• 50 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM

You are indeed clint, and long may it continue. 🙂 A fine example to all blog users. I doff my hat towards you sir.

• 51 clinath@ed // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Sh!t.
    Wasn’t expecting you to come back at me….I’m off.
    Got to watch my lad play rugby….non of that soppy crap.

• 52 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM

The thing I dislike most about the international break is waiting to see who’s been injured. We have lost more than one player to long term injuries, picked up playing for their country in recent times. Fingers crossed nobody comes back badly damaged from this one.

• 53 Bobbybee // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Clint, only jesting mate, my account hasn’t been hacked, it’s really me in here just entertaining myself. Trying out this pc nonsense for size, but not sure it suits me. 🙂 Maybe the trick is just to pretend to be pc so you can act thoroughly shocked when somebody says a naughty word? That must be it. 🙂

• 54 Yo-yo // Oct 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2016 at 11:04 PM.
    I am really astounded that more folk on here do not speak up against the rabble now on here and who themselves are emboldened by others like them. In the midst of filthy gutter talk some on here react as if nothing is occurring around them or converse with said miscreants as if they are “good old boys”.

Mr T. They are not ‘good old boys’.. or girls.

There are a good few like me who really can’t be bothered any more to engage with the stupid, spiteful, snide, aggressive and self justifying minority.

We vote with our keyboards. Life is too short to take on the blog bullies. Why bother? They post little worth reading anyway. I am in a number of other groups which are not characterised by mutual loathing as this group has become. So that is where I go.
    If I make a remotely critical comment on here it is if the heavens open and a rain of sulphur and bile is spat out. Is this is typical of the legendary friendly Geordie? Does it really represent Toon fans?
    Real life gobshites are also blogshites.
    It only actually takes one or two people to degrade a forum like this blog. Over the last 18 months or so that is what has happened.
    There were always arguments and rows on here, but the level of personal abuse was really ramped up after Jeff appeared and disappeared, and JIB turned up as doppelganger. It has not declined since. Random acts of abuse are the norm now.
    The trouble is that the blog MO is set by the lowest common denominator on here, as everyone is inevitably dragged down to their level. We all feel we have to retaliate or at least critique, and that reduces us to their level.

Beattie found a job or a girlfriend, or both, I reckon, and good luck to him. He was argumentative and could be awkward, but was also funny, had a turn of phrase that could raise a laugh, and was capable of arguing a case and not just rubbishing other posters, unlike the present self determined capi.
    The other usual protagonists don’t even need naming but the blog storm almost every day this last week, and particularly after the evening of the BandB meltdown, sent me off after a couple of comments to a more friendly place where a bit of enjoyable banter could be had, joky, funny, incisive, friendly – everything this blog used to be much of the time but is rarely any more.

• 55 AncientC // Oct 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM

I was reading that Fernando Torres is out of contract in the summer – that situation looks like a future transfer rumour. Torres recently agreed to a 1 year deal at Atletico, a similar deal with Newcastle next year, may not be outside the realms of possibility.

previous post: Captain Identifies These Key Talents Of Newcastle Players