Newcastle Outstanding Youngster Gains More Honors

It’s unusual for a goalkeeper who had had only 12 first team games in his career and none for his club Newcastle United to be representing the England U-21 side, but that’s exactly what Freddie Woodman has achieved.

Woodman  has starred for the England U-17 and U-19 sides in particular,  but has played for every England youth side from U-16 level has made his debut for the England U-21 side in Thursday night’s 1-0 win in Kazakhstan.

That win was enough to ensure England are in next summer’s European Championships finals.

freddie-woodman

Freddie Woodman – made debut at England U-21s

The 19 year-old is the son of former Newcastle goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman and he was delighted to make the big step up as he said this on the FA web-site:

“It was a fantastic night for me, to make my debut for the U-21s, it’s what I’ve wanted since I started my first game for the U-16s.”

“So it’s a great moment and to play in front of the back four that I did, I was privileged.”

“I didn’t have a lot to do, but it was good to play in front of those sort of players like Rob Holding, Chambo (Calum Chambers), Mason (Holgate) and Brendan (Galloway).”

“They’ve played in the Premier League and been there and done it and it’s brilliant for me to be in this group, with such high talented players.”

“It’s good to be around them and to learn from them in training so to play 90 minutes in Kazakhstan was brilliant for me and my development.”

Woodman is currently the England U-20 goalkeeper, but he was given his chance in the absence of U-21 goalkeepers Jordan Pickford, Angus Gunn and Joe Wildsmith.

The FIFA U-20 World Cup will also take place next summer and Andy is likely to be the England goalkeeper in that competition.

Andy continued:

“It’s a great situation for me to be in, I’m in between the two squads at the moment and I know where I stand.”

“But for a problem, it’s brilliant, because I’m happy to come along and play for England like I’ve done since I first came into the set-up.”

“It’s a competitive age group and everyone wants to show the manager and Gareth Southgate what they’re about.”

“So it’s a good opportunity for players to come in and do that, get some game time and keep improving and learning.”

Woodman has only played 12 first team games in his career so far while on loan last season at Crawley Town and the reason is his appearances are so few is that he has been needed by Newcastle.

Freddie was recalled from his loan spell at Crawley Town when Tim Krul was badly injured last October and he has needed at Newcastle this season until Rob Elliot is fit again – maybe in a month or two.

Freddie will then head out on loan in January for the rest of the season and there are likely to be quite a few clubs interested in taking him.

Woodman will likely pick up his second England U-21 cap as they will play host to  Bosnia and Herzegovina at Walsall’s Banks’ Stadium on Tuesday in their final European Championship qualifier.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Go Woody lad, getting nothing more than you deserve. Definitely an England keeper in waiting. Certainly the future for us as well.

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Now that’s what I call bad timing Ed. or was it me?? 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Should be out on loan ideally but decent getting into the under 21s time will tell how well he develops

• Ron Knee

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:59 PM

“Nigel Pearson: Derby County manager leaves by mutual consent”

Who will take over?

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Bonkers? Killing someones pet is sane, is it? 🙂 Do you really not follow BandB? How sad. Such a clever boy like you can work it out if you really really try. The answer might make you cry, so keep some tissue handy.

Sorry sing, I’ve tried so hard, but I cracked under their goading. 🙂 Come on, read what they’ve put. Just irresistible mate. I will try again, but I retain my right of reply at any given moment. 🙂 🙂 Anyway, isn’t that what clowns are for? To laugh at? You do realise I’m taking the piss I trust. Hopefully, take enough piss out of them and there’ll be nothing left of them. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Ron, wouldn’t be at all surprised to see McClaren back there mate.

• Spoof

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM

My input of late has been minimal, very busy, but boy what a peaceful, respectful and pleasant site I have came back to, and we have another week until our next game, such fun will be had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Pearson…
    That was a strange one. I had thought he would go in there and galvanise them, at least initially. But they’ve just bombed. Dunno what’s gone on there but it’ll probably come out…

• Legolas

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Why does Rooney think he can do the Hollywood ball. Somebody tell him he is not Jonjo Shelvey.

• WWSBRD

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Wasn’t Pearson under investigation for one of those telegraph stings?

• Belfast

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:12 PM

The cat story was a bizarre tale. I think Ian was just taking the piss though. There was no cats harmed in that episode. Mister Tuff was innocent.

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:12 PM

If this was Facebook, Legolas, that would be good for 100 “likes’.
    Take this as the first.

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Lego
    Ha ha yeah he’s got delusions of grandeur!

WW
    AH, the filthy lucre! That would explain it perhaps..

• Belfast

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Wwsbrd

Did you not read me tipping it weeks back? Toss up between Di Matteo and Pearson for the first sacking. 🙂

Never looked at Pearson the same way again after the whole fighting a pack of wolves story ha

• WWSBRD

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM

sing
    I might be wrong but I though he got suspended for it when the story broke

Belfast
    Haha aye I remember mate fair play…is Monk still at Leeds, I thought that fraud would be first sacked

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM

The whole Pearson thing seemed to me to be based on “do what I say or I’ll do you.”
    Now players anywhere seem to know know that if they sit it out for three months, the club will do him.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Belfast, too late, the cat’s out of the bag mate! 🙂 sorry, hard to resist. As is, if this was facebook, you’d be banned. 🙂 it’s not malicious, just my sense of humour that some struggle with. Miserable sods 🙂

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM

That’s not fair bobby!
    I’ve always thought you were funny.

• Budge123

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Pearson had to be physically restrained whilst arguing with owner!
    Can’t see Stevie Mc going back there – the Derby fans I talked to before our game down there dislike him as much as us.
    Chris Powell is well liked there after playing for them so could get the job full time perhaps.

• Average_Contents

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:29 PM

So there’s evidence now of tuff attacking (killing a cat according to you)

Where from and supplied by whom.

No fcuker that’s who.

Get a grip you weirdo.

• Average_Contents

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM

You reserve the right to reply? But nobody else can eh Bobby?

You’ve never shut up about it today then blame others for mentioning it.

You quite literally couldn’t make THAT up.

Slug.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Moi? Was it me who said he’d killed a cat? Don’t think so wierdo. You really don’t have a clue, do you? Your brain is with your mouth – in the sewer. Go find then eh?

• Budge123

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:37 PM

2-0 at home to the might of Malta.
    Looks like the England team is well and truly fixed.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:39 PM

What. When have I ever tried to stop anybody replying. It’s a blog dummy, it might be really hard, but if I could, do you think you’d be still flapping your lips? 🙂 Where would my comedy act be without you stooges to bounce off? You really do take yourself far too seriously. Pity nobody else does. 🙂

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:41 PM

To be fair to bobby, I raised the issue of the Tuff and the Great Cat Affair.

Tuff had asked me the question ‘shouldn’t I answer I question if I’m asked?”

But as Tuff had already admitted he didn’t know the answer, my response would have been “no, you obviously shouldn’t, as that would be stupid.”

If you don’t know the answer, don’t answer the question.

Instead he was happy to speculate over the sanctions I should face if he did know the answer.

It seems to have had the unintended consequence of drawing the unwarranted abuse in his direction.

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Budge, we were 10/1 to win 7-0. I imagine the odds to only win 2-0 would be higher than that! Poor effort.

• Average_Contents

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Yeah it’s a pity you repeatedly get shown up for what you really are. Well, not really a pity but I’m sure you know what I mean.

Or maybe not.

The accusation at the time was attacked. It was mentioned just before as attacked.

You changed it to killing.

Dimwit.

• WWSBRD

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Is this not a football blog anymore?

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Oh…Buddha

• Budge123

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM

BandB whilst on could you clear up what you did or didn’t say about the disabled? If indeed it was a generic comment?

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Yo

bobby is right about one thing.

The blog doesn’t like to be policed. It polices itself, as Ian Toon observed.

We like some people and not others. That will never change.

No-one is led off the blog in handcuffs.

They self-destruct.

• sing in the corner

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Budge

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Perfectly respectable three hour blog kills are repeatedly ruined by people trying to have the last word.

• Jib

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM

They are concerned in Italy about Achraf Lazaar’s lack of playing time.

Ninety minutes in the EFL cup against Wolves and none in the league.

When Benitez was asked about the situation he inferred that the Morrocan needed to toughen up which surprised the Italians as they think Serie A is quite tough.

Morroco are playing Gabon at the moment (1-1) I was hoping to see how he was getting on but the match is not showing on any of the advertised channels

• Budge123

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Where would you rank Malta in terms of a Championship team?
    How many of them would we want Rafa to sign?

Relegation zone and none?

And yet our ‘plucky multi millionaires’ can only win 2-0?

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Unintended BandB? Really? Not your style at all. Maybe serving him up for his comments about you whilst he pathetically tried to wriggle off the hook himself. I think I know you better than that and I suspect you know that. Nothing you do is unnintended is it? Ever. Anyway, i hope it wasn’t your cat my dear, I’d hate the thought of you being banned from your coven for the lack of a cat. 🙂

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:51 PM

It’s a zinger, bobby….

• Bobbybee

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Budge, just been saying the same myself. Some of them aren’t even pro’s ffs. One owns a cafeteria. 🙂 Great start eh? Hilarious.

• BandB

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:55 PM

I don’t know what England would lose without Rooney’s contribution.
    But I’d be happy to find out.

• Offkey

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:55 PM

lol is guy for real……what a joke you are.

1 2 3 7