The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Lascelles Explains Why Newcastle Players Are So Grateful

11:02 am, Monday, October 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

Lat time out at Rotherham our captain Jamaal Lascelles put in a terrific performance at the back as we came under pressure a number of times from bottom of the table Rotherham – who on the day looked a much better side than the one propping up the Championship.

Lascelles has had plenty of experiences playing in the Championship with his former club Nottingham Forest where he played 59 game sin England’s second division.

Jamaal Lascelles – very good leader at just 22

Jamaal has talked today in the Chronicle about the league and how we can take nothing for granted:

“I respect this league massively and I was telling the boys before the Rotherham game we can’t get complacent.”

“We had to prepare for Rotherham the same way we do for Norwich and Villa and all the big teams.”

“In the Championship it is all about whoever turns up on the day.”

“Thankfully, we have been turning up.” “We have to keep it that way and not let things slip.”

“It’s always nice to have momentum and keep things going.” “But a little break won’t do us any harm.”

“We have been able to rest our heads and get back at it.” “We are all working hard for each other and the fans are travelling all around the country for us.”

“So we have to show our respect at the end.” “We have to say thank you at the end whether we win, lose or draw.”

“Credit to the fans – they have stuck with us the whole way and we are grateful for it.”

Certainly there is a bond building between the players and the fans and that can be seen at the of the games as they all celebrate together.

That tough win at Rotherham was particularly good in that our players played their hearts out for the 3 points.

We have many players currently out on International duty and they will be returning in the middle of the week and later and as usual, there will not be a lot of time to prepare for the home game against Brentford on Saturday.

We have six games in the next 22 days starting on Saturday and it would be very nice if we can win all of them – that has to be the level of ambition from Newcastle this season and beyond.

And we’re sure that Rafa is thinking about how to get six successive wins in the next batch of games.

He’s starting by working out the game plan for Brentford and how we can win that first game – first things first.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Jamaal Lascelles · Newcastle News

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM

If we get promoted and Lascellas continues to play and improve as he has done since Rafa came to the club I can seriously see him being part of the England WC TEAM, yes team and not just the squad as apart from Stones we are seriously weak in the CB area, personally I think he is already as good if not better than all of our CB’s with the exception perhaps of Stones but playing in the championship will probably hold him back for this season, but next season especially with a build from the back manager like Rafa then for me he has a great chance to be a part of the England team.

• 2 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Thank god, only five days to go before we get back to the serious business of Championship football. Five days? Nowt is it? Can’t wait myself. Starting to get the buzz as we build up towards a game – something sadly missing last week. A fortnight seems such a long gap between games, wheteas five days is just around the corner. Bring it on.

• 3 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM

It’s very early in the season for a relegation dog-fight , but Sunderland away to Stoke is huge for both clubs.
    A true 6 pointer
    Relegation , managers careers , everything , could hinge on this game !

C’mon The Potters !!!!

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Spoof, got it written all over him mate. Other potential England players for the future include Shelvey, Woody and Arma. Would be nice to see some of our players in the England side again. Might make them more attractive to us to watch. This current England set up is just so uninspiring it’s like watching grass grow. 🙂

• 5 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Jib, never too early for the mackems to realise they’re in a relegation dogfight. Moyes said it after two games I believe. 🙂 Surprised at Stoke like, I thought they be comfortably top half this season. Early days yet, but Hughes must be feeling the heat. Still, nothing like the demolition of sunlun to cool thibgs down a bit. 🙂

• 6 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Jail seems to have disappeared so I don’t know if there will be bingo.

Hanley and Ritchie will be playing tomorrow in Slovakia so I would discount them from starting on Saturday.

Also Atsu , M’Bemba and Diamé all have gruelling journeys back.

Lazaar plays for Morroco v Canada tomorrow and Yedlin New Zealand Wednesday.

I would say carefully peruse any training pics posted in the next couple of days – this week could be the best chance of winning the bingo this season.

• 7 hibbit // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM

a solid season in the championship will do Lascelles no harm under Rafa
    the lad has come on in leaps and bounds since Rafa and his coaches took over
    the improvements in his game so far this season are solid
    the aspect i like the best which seems to be the biggest improvement is his reading of the game which is mainly down to his concentration which has improved 100% long may it continue

• 8 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Just a quick response to the abuse hurled my way on a previous thread. Jib, I thought you had a bit if the suss about you but apparently not. You are clearly just the dull-wit you portray yourself to be. And to all and sundry; I’m not a mackem, but if you want to really insult me, call me a bindipper or a bindipper arse-licker. Now that would hurt. And for all you regime lovers who think everything’s rosy, just take a look at the tables. It is actually NUFC sat in the Championship gazing up at the might of Huddersfield Town. True.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Talking about England, the U20’s play the USA tonight, with Arma and Roberts representing the Toon. Looks like that, being America, there’s a good few streams available for us to enjoy. 🙂 Really hope Roberts gets a run out tonight, he’s worked hard for this.

• 10 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I still enjoy international matches but I cannot deny that I enjoy it a whole lot more if one of our lads is playing, so i’m with you on that one.

Surely the sad ones lucky escapes must run out eventually, there good luck last season was arguably their luckiest yet, with the squad we had I fell that only one man could have taken us down and they were so lucky in that we employed SM, the only manager bad enough to take us down.

Personally as well as I have a bet on them going down, them to go down in a double for us to win the league, I could cash out now and more than double my money, but with odds which work out to be just short of 11/1 then accepting just slightly better than evens doesn’t seen to tempting to me.

Stoke will beat them, they surely have to much physical presence for the light weight mackems, I know that Hughes has taken a lot of the physical nature of Stoke’s game out of them but they can still bully teams if they need to and Sunderland don’t have that many who can handle the physical stuff.

• 11 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM

If you think that was abuse hurled at you –
    you must be one of the softer varities of rough tough Aussies I’ve come across!

Probably a whinging Pom truth to tell.

If you persist in calling Rafa Benitz “The Waiter” – I can guarantee I won’t be the only one on your case.

• 12 jayphoto // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Lascelles not the most talented player we have but improving so much. Unbelievable that a couple years ago he was punished by Forest for bragging to older senior players that his Newcastle wages were double theirs… to go from that to the leader he seems to be now is astounding and just shows how hard he has worked. I know relegation is never the best thing for a club, but I think last season, the mercenaries, the piss poor management has really been the making of Lascelles. Seemed to change his mentality, and then Rafa and his staff coming in at the perfect time to bring him on.
    Hopefully going to be our captain for many years

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Tof, I can’t make my mind up if you’re just having a giggle, or actually enjoy slating the club. Whether you realise it or not, you do come across as a bit of a wum with some of your comments. Constructive criticism is one thing, but – maybe without realising it – you do go a bit ott. We’re third mate, with plenty time to improve. We’ve got the best manager in the league by a country mile and the strongest squad. The league is a marathon, not a sprint and Rafa has set things up exactly for that reason. You do know we won’t win every game? It’s not the end of the world if the odd game goes tits up. I think you may be just expecting too much from a Championship club, which is what we are. We’re well placed right now, no need to panic.

• 14 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM

varieties even

• 15 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I have to admit that I was concerned when he was made captain due to only having played half a dozen or so first team games combined with his age, he’s still just a kid, and with his Forest reputation of going to sleep from time to time it did frighten me and I feared a big fall was heading his way, gladly I couldn’t have been further wrong, and for me the biggest difference which you have mentioned is his concentration levels, not only is he concentrating but he is also barking out the orders for his team mates to concentrate as well.

I do expect us to go up, and when we do we have to compete in the PL because if we don’t then he will be much sort after, we have to make ourselves attractive to him and to others who are also at his level.

• 16 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Jib, is that diplomatic corps job still open? Think I might apply after all! 🙂

Spoof, hope your bet comes in for you mate. Sounds safe as houses for me and definitely not worth cashing in early. They were very good odds for what must be classed as a knocking bet. They’re doomed mate.

Jay, agree mate, he’s matured beyond description and most of that will be down to Rafa and his own hard graft. He’s got England stamped all over him for the future. Just needs to keep working at it like he is and the rest will take care of itself.

• 17 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:59 AM

And as for the “hick from Hicksville” taunt, how many of you would bet your life on Jib (from Benwell I think) winning a football argument against Lilo Geordie from deepest, darkest Africa? No takers?

• 18 jayphoto // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:00 PM

reckon you can guarantee our starting line up for Brentford.
    Yedlin, Lazaar, Mbemba, Atsu and Diame will all be slightly more tired due to travelling long distances so I’d reckon Shelvey, Lascelles, Perez, Gayle, Dummett, Gouffran will be absolutely nailed on to start as Rafa will have had all week preparing with them.
    Guessing throw Anita and Ritchie in there and the only 2 questionable positions would be either Hayden or colback next to shelvey and Clark or Hanley next to Lascelles

• 19 jayphoto // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Anyone catch that article in the chronicle about Rafa’s boot room? The workings of the backroom team etc. Fab article! Testament to Rafa that people and even the press have taken his actual preparation and technical approach to games etc as more interesting than the usual rumour mill.
    Every time Rafa speaks, I feel a little more amazed that he is Newcastle manager under Mike Ashley. So much attention and thought into every detail…
    I’d actually take Rafa over nearly all top level managers in the game, Pep Guardiola aside (seems to be cut from the same cloth) as Benitez doesn’t only care about results, but also the whole future of the club and community, such a rare quality to have a manager with one eye on long term future and wanting to build something in this shotgun age of hiring and firing based on 3 months of results.
    Credit to Charnley too, his lack of experience and knowledge in football is probably the reason Rafa has as much control as he does and is being allowed to work how he is!

• 20 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM

It’s unreal that someone can come on a NUFC blog , criticise and mock the most popular manager we’ve had for years , then cry like a baby when he gets it back !
    Man up Frenchman you big tart .

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Bobbybee: I’m not having a giggle, I promise you that. As for being a WUM, I suppose I’m not sure if I am or not. I hate going along with the status-quo if I think it’s flawed, and I’ll exaggerate to make a point, so maybe I am if that’s the measuring stick. I see so much fawning and drivel on here it makes me sick. When the club puts some results on the board to make me change my tune I’ll sing along. Until then I’m happy to be the bindipper in the woodpile and criticise whoever I see fit to. Including our dear manager.

• 22 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:13 PM

The prices I got were us to win the league 12/5 and for the sad ones to go down 5/2, the prices now are us to win the league 5/4 and for the sad ones to go down 8/13, I’ve just had a luck at the cash out offer and it works out to be 6/4, but as you say why cash out when at present it looks like a knocking bet.

It the bet comes in I’ll go on a two day bender as a double celebration and it’ll cost me virtually nowt, some celebration that would be mind, us up as champs and that sad little lot going down, it would probably take the black and white half of the northeast till Christmas to sober up lol.

• 23 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM

luck – look

• 24 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Cry like a baby Jib? Do I appear to be looking for sympathy or absolution? Do you want more blatant insults from me – is that how I “man up”? I can if you like, you are a soft target.

• 25 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM

The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    I criticise whoever I see fit to. Including our dear manager.

Absolutely your right on a public blog.

However sauce for the goose etc.

Why do you think you have the right to immunity ?

• 26 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Tof, Lilo isn’t from ‘deepest darkest Africa’, I think he’s from the Toon and having done his coaching courses he’s giving the youth in his current location the benefit of his knowledge and deserves respect for his efforts. That doesn’t mean he, or any one of us, gets it right all the time. He may well be able to argue the finer points of coaching better than most, but I’m pretty sure he’s not looking for an argument with jib. 🙂 Maybe read your posts carefully before posting. Seriously, given our current position and after the last few seasons, why do you think we should be unbeatable? I’ll have a friendly little wager with you now. After the next five league games, I wager we’ll be top of the table. Where do you think we’ll be? Be interesting to see who wins. 🙂

• 27 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Immunity? I don’t understand. When have I said I don’t expect to be criticised along with anybody else? That doesn’t mean I have to accept it meekly though, surely.

• 28 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Spoof, I betcha any bank in the country would take that betting slip as collateral on any mortgage or loan? 🙂 Very good odds you got. Just lock it up safe and forget about it until perhaps it looks remotely possible it might not happen – so that’s until May then! 🙂 That’s what I call forward thinking marra, preparing the nest egg to cover your celebrations well ahead of time. Safest bet I can think of.

• 29 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Bobbybee- I mentioned Lilo simply as an example to ridicule Jib’s implication (or is it inference?) that anyone living outside the UK was a “hick” who had no right to comment on NUFC. I know for sure that expatmag has more football knowledge in his little finger than Jib.

• 30 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM

The jury with Ashley is still out, yes we all know about his past but at present we have a manager who appears to be in total control of all footballing matters and we do appear to be getting our house in order and improving as a football club, the communication between the club and the press and to us the fans is far better and we do seen to be putting in a huge effort to get the footballing side of the club right rather than just the financial side.

The improvements are vast but can Ashley be totally trusted, not yet, what we need to see is continued improvements season after season, will we get that, I don’t know, but neither do you so rather than criticise those who are being open minded do you not think it would be better if we were all open minded and see where Ashley takes us, because there is one certainty, continuing trying to rock the boat especially when at present there doesn’t appear to be any need for it will not help any of us, a leopard never chages it’s spots is a well known saying, well lets just hope that this leopard does change it’s spots, but I seriously feel that we should at least wait and see what happens during Rafa’s stay at the club before we make any decisions as to whether Ashley has changed or not.

• 31 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Tof, again, that’s more a matter of opinion than fact mate. I think jib’s point is that he’s curious as to why somebody so far away, who makes an effort to post about the club, only has negative things to say. Being third and only three points from the top is, imo, a good thing. Well placed now, having had some tougher games than those around us, to launch an assault on the summit. We were never going to win every single game. When we go a goal down, it appears to some that you revel in it and attack players, coach, tea lady etc. Can you not see why that makes you look like a wum? I’m not having a dig mate, just trying to explain why your behaviour might give people that impression. Take it on board or don’t, it’s advice given in good faith, nothing more or less. Anyway, five games. I’m saying top. What say you? 🙂

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Spoof. Fair enough. I should take all that on board and bite my lip, I know. I also know I’ve said that before, and not done it. I really just need to walk away.

• 33 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Bobbybee, if we are on top after five more games, I will never post here again, I promise. If we are not, you have to track down Jib and kill him. How does that sound?

• 34 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Lilo is from Gosforth actually
    He knows me but hasn’t realised who I am.
    He has the same name as a current England international (cryptic clue)

• 35 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM

You don’t need to walk away, well not imho anyway, but what I do suggest is that you try to relax and enjoy what is happening now, or what seems to be happening now, but if/when it goes pear shaped and this is proved to be a false dawn (which I hope isn’t the case), then we should deal with that when it actually happens rather than deal with it now, winning is a great feeling, lets enjoy while we can.

• 36 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Is this a football blog or a Krypton factor audition lol

• 37 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:56 PM

But he lives in Africa. As I live in Australia – “Hicksville” to you, but you have no idea where I was born do you?

• 38 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Going back to the Aarons thread, just wondering that if he’s fit enough to get into a physical altercation does that mean he’s fit enough to play.

I can see your reasoning re the players who have the extended travelling but I’d be surprised if at least one of them isn’t included in the starting line up. Diame almost seems to be a shoe in nowadays as an example. Rafa does spring his surprises!!

Also going back to youngster who might get into the England squads I’d include Darlow.

• 39 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Spoof, that sounds like my late wife talking to me! I can’t help but be impatient and angry and cynical, despite my better judgement and all.

• 40 Ibizatoon // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Am I mistaken or is this all down to ToF making 2 posts, 1 about Mitrovich being “poorly managed by the Wally and the Waiter since he’s been here” and then one where he commented on Aarons suspect attitude whilst at Bristol City?

• 41 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Gareth Gareth, Gareth South, Gareth Gate, Gate South, Southgate Gareth.

• 42 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM

My bedtime lads, I’ll pick up the cudgels again tomorrow.

• 43 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Tof, no, for gods sake don’t stop posting. Your opinions are as valid as anybody’s and clearly, people enjoy discussing them by this evidence now. It’s football related and current. No, don’t stop, noboby asks that. All we’re doing is discussing how your posts come across. Apparently I come across as ranting to some people, so that’s something I didn’t realise. Most of jib’s comments are very tongue in cheek anyway, but some don’t ‘get it’. He also says it how he sees it, as should we all. All I can suggest is that you read what you write and try to see how it’s going to come across before posting. Celebrating a goal against? Bit of a no-no mate! 🙂

• 44 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Bill, g’day sir. Yep, Darlow must be considered as potential one day. Not sure myself, but I see where you’re coming from. Wonder what happened to Bigi’s potential? Pardewed? Who knows. Anyway, he’s back at Coventry now where it all began. Let’s hope he can find the spark again.

• 45 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:36 PM

And here we see Bill from Essex. He’s got something to say, but is trying to second guess Ed, feeling a new thread must be due he doesn’t want to miss the bus. Like Russian Roulette innit mate? 🙂

• 46 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Good afternoon mate.

You ranting, when was that, I must have missed it. 🙂

I’ve given up trying to second guess Rafa, think I’ll just the names in a hat and see what comes out.

• 47 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:58 PM

And Bill gives the guillotine a body swerve. You know what happens now don’t you? 🙂 He’s impossible to second guess imo. I reckon firebug had inside information when he did it. Needs to be put under 24 hour surveillance leading up the games in future. 🙂
    Mitro was on fire last night Bill. Two goals, one assist and involved in everything Serbia did going forward. Looked more like the player we thought we were buying at last. On the back of that, maybe Rafa might consider going with two up front, because he thrives on that system. He was linking up well with everyone around him. Hope this is a sign of things to come from him.

• 48 Jib // Oct 10, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Did you watch that tutorial ?
    Have you mastered “copy and paste” yet ?

• 49 lesh // Oct 10, 2016 at 2:01 PM

From earlier threads about Shearer being in the loop with Rafa, my take is that Rafa’s had conversations with Al and you can bet your boots that Al’ll have put him wise about Ashley’s antics and the way he’s tried to run the Club.

Rafa will have taken that on board and been forearmed in his negotiations with Ashley about staying with us post-relegation. He’ll have sought and gained assurances from Ashley that he’s solely responsible for footballing matters including player sales and purchasing.

At that stage, Al’ll have been in the dark and given his experience of Ashley, wouldn’t be certain that Rafa’d stay. Hence his doubts that he would but the fact that Rafa did stay, would suggest he obtained all the assurances he wanted and had them written into his contract.

It’s just a pity that Rafa couldn’t broker a truce between Ashley and Shearer.

• 50 lesh // Oct 10, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Of course Bobby’ll have mastered copy and pasting. Guided by the Blog’s masters of it, he couldn’t fail.

A good teacher doesn’t teach, he/she facilitates learning.

• 51 Ian Toon // Oct 10, 2016 at 2:22 PM

TOF- So you have a high regard for expat. There is no accounting for taste but do you need to morph into his boorish persona.

Your mood I would suggest is mainly one of boredom, maybe you should just quit drinking or quit posting whilst not being of sound mind. To do otherwise is to challenge the status quo ( your point) and should imply a strong belief in one’s position as the correct one, and thus efforts could be undertaken to undermine the position of other bloggers without very much real conviction. All of which would be in game play mode- thus copying your mate and apparent hero but tedium is already in abundance – we need less externality and more rationality. I favour the position of a minority challenger but only when driven by conviction- your minority status of the challenging position is driven by boredom or rather attention seeking. Somewhat like a child who craves love and time with a parent rather than bought expensive gifts but little real caring love. Additionally you appear to lack the backbone required for combatting those that are not like minded. Hence your misplaced comments and the negative emotions displayed; in turn predicted biased attributions. This is important as they add to the understanding of how intergroup conflict may arise, providing an explanation as to why challengers are less tolerant of others’ point of view. You clearly drink to much for sound judgment but this is a football blog and you are a tiresome fellow.

previous post: Newcastle Legend So Upbeat About Club’s Future