The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Wounded Warrior Gives Positive Update

7:01 pm, Monday, October 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 63 Comments

Good news from goalkeeper Rob Elliot today that he thinks his return is only weeks away rather than months.

But with such a serious injury, Rob cannot push it too much and the medical team will make sure that he doesn’t do too much too soon.

The last thing we want is a relapse and when fully fit,  Rob is likely to be the Newcastle number one again – especially if he plays like he did last season when he was our Player of the Season and simply brilliant.

rob elliot knee slovakia

Rob Elliot – suffering the injured in late March in Dublin

Rob damaged his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the knee playing for Ireland at the end of March and that’s one of the worst injuries you can get – and it often ended players’ careers in the past.

Brian Clough is one well-known player who had to retire after he initially picked up the injury when he was just 27 and had to retire when he was 29.

Ron has given an update today in the Chronicle on his injury and how near he is to playing again:

“Hopefully it will be the next few weeks.”

“It’s now weeks rather than months – and that feels great to say.” “I just have to see what happens, but I am looking forward to being back in the routine with the lads every day.”

“That’s the main thing.” “It’s going really well and I am training with Simon Smith three times a week.”

“I’m still on my own and not with the lads just yet, but there’s progression because I need to be doing more than what the lads would be doing day-to-day.”

“It’s all positive and I feel strong.” “This is also a bit of a journey into the unknown because I have not had this injury.”

“Touch wood everything has been going great for me.”

“It’s a case of keeping going with the work and making sure when I come back I am ready to come back I’m not rushing it and not doing anything silly.”

“As you get older you have to use your experience.” “I could probably come back and play today, but that would be a massive risk and it’s just not worth it.”

“You have to be really sensible, work hard and listen carefully to what people tell you and go from there.”

“The usual steps are you might play a game in the reserves and get back in the lads.” “But if I am ready to play, I’m ready to play, whether it’s in the reserves or not.”

“It’s unknown territory for me really as I have never had a serious injury or serious operation before.”

“Touch wood I want to get back training with the lads as quickly as possible.” “Then that’s when it gets handed over to the coaches and the manager.”

“They can then see you in a session and decide whether you need a game or reserve game.”

“With the standard of players we have now, sometimes training is as intense or even more intense as a game.”

“When you train with the size of the squad we have and you are doing that day in, day out, it sometimes gets you up to speed.”

“In all honesty, I’d have to hold my hands up and see what happens.”

“I am sure there will be reserve games penciled in, but when and how is down to the people who make the decisions on the medical and playing side.”

“Sometimes you have to trust what they say or see.” “You may feel good but they may look at you and feel you need a little bit longer.”

“Or you might not feel too confident but the coaches say you look great – go on.”

Good update from Rob there.

It’s not just because Rob is such a good goalkeeper that we want him back soon, but he’s also a strong voice in the dressing room, on the training field and during games.

Rob became one of the leaders at Newcastle last season and is an important player to the team.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Injuries · Medical · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot

63 responses so far ↓

• 1 sing in the corner // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM

No rush. I like him as a keeper and team member, but I’m confident with Darlow, and hopefully Sels is busy adjusting and aclimatising behind the scenes.

• 2 Ron Knee // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:14 PM

A couple of NUFC old boys playing tonight – on opposite sides.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Aarons arrested for taking part in a brawl at Bar Novello. Great news. Well done Aarons. What will Rafa do?

• 4 sing in the corner // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Geordie2
    Nothing too dramatic I would suggest. He will have a chat with him and straighten him out. Probably would leave him out of the squad for a bit…IF he was fit.

• 5 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Just been through all the live streams advertised for england U20’s game, only to find none of them work.

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM

I think Aarons would struggle to get into the squad at present even if he was fir and not on the naughty step.

Elliot will probably get a few reserve games before he’s considered for first team action.

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Would like to see Aarons loaned out for a season when he comes back fit !

Before he got injured he just looked so out of place and undisciplined needs to learn the game such as when to make runs, when to pass and when to beat a man etc which comes with regular game time!

• 8 Spoof // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:07 PM

On Mitro from earlier threads, Rafa has always preferred quick and mobile strikers rather than target men, Mitro will not be a regular feature, neither will Murphy, why we have two back up strikers who are not in the Rafa style is a puzzler, why sign Murphy and not another quick and mobile striker has for me been the strangest of all our transfers.

Mitro I fear for, I love the lad to bits but under Rafa as I have said since Rafa came I fear his days are numbered, he just isn’t Rafa’s style sadly.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Lee, with you on the loan option mate, he could do with some regular first team competitive games under his belt. Six months would do it. Thete’d be no shortage of takers I reckon.

• 10 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Rafas signings at Liverpool some good signings and some flops ! A bit like every manager really

• 11 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Spoof, in answer to your question earlier, you come across fine my friend. 🙂

• 12 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM

@BobbyBee

Yeah the problem he has at the moment is hes never fit for a month loan never mind a six month loan!

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Lee, you’d like to think he’d learned from that though. He seems to be making fewer duff signings since then. Nobody will ever ever get it right every single time. If – as I fully expect – he takes us up, his signings will be seen as a success. We all get it wrong sometimes, regardless of what we do. If you learn from those mistakes, you’re definitely heading in the right direction. 🙂

• 14 Bobbybee // Oct 10, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Lee, mmm, I see your point. Ok, how about six seperate loan deals of a month each time? 🙂

• 15 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Oct 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM

@Bobbybee

I think Rafa has learned a lot since then which explains our signings this season ! A lot more players who can slot straight into the league with minimum of fuss!

We may see more players from abroad with potential next season

• 16 cyprus // Oct 10, 2016 at 9:11 PM

I always liked Gayle, but I feel he maybe isn’t that influential no.9 who will literally turn games and rip defenses apart. Which I know is a bit unfair as he’s done ok up to now.

Perhaps this Mitro can be what I have in mind, or maybe we still don’t have that player.

Didn’t Andy really get his Chance last time in this division?

• 17 ShirebrookToon // Oct 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Quiet on here tonight

• 18 Belfast // Oct 10, 2016 at 9:54 PM

I think it’s a boycott Shirebrook.

• 19 Belfast // Oct 10, 2016 at 10:01 PM

The blog elders want Bobbybee and wing commander Jib to resign from their positions.

Was talking to Tsunki aka Candycain on the C.b.

• 20 Belfast // Oct 10, 2016 at 10:07 PM

10-24 Candycain that’s a 10-24 over!

• 21 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 10, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Benitez big strikers

• 22 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 10, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Haha, sorry, was trying to google that. Lack of grey matter I suspect.

Didn’t he have Drogba at Chelsea and Higuain at Napoli.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Spoof,
    Mitro under Benitez is a puzzle. Benitez does seem to prefer more mobile strikers, but the signings he has made don’t suit Gayle as much as they probably would suit Mitro given a decent run. I think our best side probably has both at the moment.

As for Murphy, I think we signed him because Benitez gave up on his preferred signings. We went for an effective player at this level who would be happy as back up, and not rock the boat. Rather than spending a larger amount of cash on someone who wasn’t a player that was high on the list, but closer to the player/style we wanted.

Murphy can do the job, and was inexpensive. effective, and short term. Better than signing someone like Rivi for sizeable cash, because the striker ahead on the list wouldn’t, despite knowing Rivi wasn’t good enough.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Wow, tonight is really dead.

Having used this lull to read back, I see Jib knows me. He may well do, I don’t remember half the people I have met or know, but at the same time, it is fairly easy to find out my name, and subsequently who I am just by clicking on the hyperlink on my name here!

• 25 lesh // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Lil

It is quiet tonight. Last night (Sunday) was quiet too.

Some posters who were shall we say, a little angry and/ or provocative over the weekend, have been conspicuous by their absence. *sigh*. I wonder if Ed’s shown a red card or two.

• 26 Offkey // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Belfast – I got that reference, however sad that is. Watch the horror channel regularly.

• 27 Uncertain Toon // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:41 PM

When Mitro came on against Norwich did we not go 442?

• 28 Offkey // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Lesh – think it’s what Belfast said.

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Uncertain,
    I asked that at the time, and was told not really.

Lesh,
    Was it? I didm/t bother last night, not sure when it was I popped on, but the whole thread prior was ridiculous. 162 posts (weird what my brain actually remembers), with only a handful that were actually about sport (half of those were about cricket as well, although I like cricket, so no problem for me there).

I doubt Ed has shown red cards though, seen far worse by others who still post, or have stopped of their own accord.

• 30 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:51 PM

You get more off the ball with Gayle and possibly more goals from him than you would with Mitro, but you don’t get much football from him, which is probably why we haven’t seen Mitro and Gayle together. If you play him off Mitro’s shoulder you will weaken the midfield. Metro can hold the ball up, lay it off, and get his head on crosses. I still expect Mitro to win the starting role, and frankly if he doesn’t it’ll be down to temperament. If he keeps his head down he’ll get the gig.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Jimmy……Jimmy etc,
    Given Diame’s form, how much do we really weaken the midfield doing that? Could we bring Tiote in alongside Shelvey to strengthen it and enable us to play both? Is a combination of 2 from Shelvey, Colback, Hayden, Tiote, Anita, Diame not good enough to compete with most Championship midfields? Particularly at home, or against lesser sides.

I doubt Rafa would stray too far from 4231, but even within that there is scope to play Gayle and Mitro.

• 32 Offkey // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:56 PM

On topic, I really didn’t like Elliot, thought he was a terrible keeper and was a pardew man……however, he changed my opinion somewhat and it’s nice to be proven wrong

• 33 lesh // Oct 10, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Jimmy

You’d best leave the Googleing to Jib – he’s the Blog’s unofficial Goolemeister and he’s got friends in high places.

• 34 Offkey // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Lil – I thought about that but can’t see mitro in a deeper role or wide as not mobile enough. Switch Gayle wide I think we weaken team substantially. Put him in the 10 spot We lose him being on the shoulder. Can’t see it working personally unless 2 up.

• 35 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Yeah, Diame hasn’t settled to his new role. If you accept that 4231 is the way Rafa will go, then Perez is probably better suited than Gayle if Mitro starts, and that means abandoning both Gayle and Diame. Quite a big decision for Rafa, and one at present he appears reluctant to make.

• 36 Uncertain Toon // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Lil,
    Hayden for Colback, Mitro for Diame. I can’t imagine it being anything else mate.
    Noticed Serbia looked like 343 last night at least till Mitro went off.
    Rafa brought Atsu on for Dummet so you’d think his instructions would be 343, however we were lobbing the old kitchen sink at it so looked more like 37 or 28!!!

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Difficult to say if Gayle gets you more goals. He certainly gets you different types of goals. He has scored something like 1 in 5 of his shots, it isn’t bad, but it isn’t great either. Some of the chances he has missed (Villa) would have seen Mitro hung drawn and quartered on here.

I’m not having a go at Gayle here, very few strikers score more than 1 in every 3 or 4 shots. Aguero is 1 in 5 so far this year, and last year was just under that over the season.

Play Mitro and Gayle together and you have players to take advantage of different opportunities.

• 38 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Well, I’d certainly do it, and have done it before now, but it is rather looking like Benitez and co see it differently. As I’ve said though, I think our best bet from an overall team performance, is Mitro up top, Perez behind, but that would be a bit harsh on Gayle, who has done little wrong.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:13 AM

Offkey,
    Mitro has to be the focal point. I agree that 2 up top gets more out of both than the 4231, but I don’t see Gayle losing out too much. He has the pace to get past him, and that in itself pulls others out of position creating chances for others. Mitro will drag other defenders towards him as well, which again creates gaps for Gayle. Diame doesn’t suit Gayle for me, and I think there is more to come from both, but not in those roles together.

Jimmy….Jimmy,
    Is it a coincidence our best attacking performance came with Mitro up top and Perez moving intelligently off him? Surely Gayle could do similar and offer more pace and a greater goal threat.

Uncertain,
    I’m not sure on 343, but last season I was advocating playing 2 more advanced players to create something closer to a 3 man attacking line. However, this year, I don’t see where that leaves Ritchie, and I think he is probably the player who can unlock defences for us more than any other.

• 40 Offkey // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Lil- it’s just whether he has the intelligence fo no.10 imo. Unknown to me as yet. I’m in the group with supermac who wants to see both up front at home…..will happen at some point and I am hoping it clicks so it gives Rafa another difficult decision to make.

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:19 AM

Jimmy Jimmy,
    You could go a very narrow front 3, with both Gayle and Perez playing centrally behind Mitro. You would have to play Lazaar and Yedlin to provide width, meaning you’d probably have to play 2 from Tiote/Colback/Hayden/Anita to provide cover for the defence.

That would leave 1 more adventurous/creative midfield slot up for grabs, and either Ritchie or Shelvey (amongst others) would have to miss out. Shelvey could drop deeper at home and against certain opposition, but we lose Ritchie’s delivery from wide, and with it a key reason as to why you’d select Mitro as the focal point.

I’d have Gayle off Mitro, Perez would have to be back up for me at this stage.

• 42 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:19 AM

I don’t think Gayle has the guile of Perez. He runs around and scores goals, all good, but I don’t think that’s a number ten, but then again nor is Diame, who I think is played in an attempt to get a more physical presence into the box when Gayle is leading the line. Both though playing out of their natural positions. Mitro and Perez together would be playing their natural roles, and Rafa would be able to maintain his preferred set up.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Offkey,
    I think we shouldn’t be making him a conventional no.10. Very few players fit what is thought of as the no.10 role. It is a position that has been over thought. Growing up, no.10 for me was your other striker. Gayle can be the other striker (whilst in a 4231), just coming from deep to break lines at pace working off Mitro.

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Gayle doesn’t have the guile. He does offer other things though, pace to break lines, better finisher than Perez.

Gayle off Mitro might not work, but Diame hasn’t impressed so far just off, so why not give it a shot? Even if it doesn’t click instantly, it should still be more than enough to see off most of our opponents.

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:31 AM

Offkey,
    The now thought of no.10 role reminds me of the quote;

“Football is a simple game made more complicated by people who should know better”

It was one of the Liverpool greats, Paisley or Shankly, who said it, can’t remember which. But increasingly, with the more average coaches at the top level, it rings very true.

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Right, time to sleep for me. Catch you all another time. Enjoy the blog calm before the weekend storm!

• 47 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM

I think it will work, or is at least worth trying, but it doesn’t look like Rafa fancies it. I think we have a few options, one of which is Gayle and Diame, who are getting the nod at present. It’s strange to have both Murphy and Mitrovic available, and play Gayle and Diame in unfamiliar roles. I think we’ll see a change over the next few games.

• 48 Mister Tuff // Oct 11, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Can the attack dilemma – not be more simplified -rather than saying he plays number 10 -the other plays on the shoulder. Are we not over complicating this.
    His second goal header against Austria – can we not just replicate that and similar situations.
    Quality cross behind the CB’s for the free forward running in from the edge of the box to attack the ball unhindered.
    Crap crosses kill the idea but is that as daft as it sounds.

• 49 Uncertain Toon // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Mister Tuff,
    I’d like to see Mitro in the middle of a front 3 mate, he was in his element for Serbia. Looked a constant threat, it was a pretty open game though so he might have had a bit more space than against rigid championship defences.
    Liked the way he headed it down, knew exactly what he was doing, and the first goal was a cool calm finish as well.
    I hope Rafa can find a system with Mitro part of it!

• 50 Mister Tuff // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:30 AM

ut – posted about this a few times – when the defence boots the ball out high invariably the CB comes in over the top of him -he rarely wins these challenges.
    lower ball to the chest – he is good at.

Standing jump with the CB – again CB wins most of these.

Much better getting a run to attack the ball – like the second goal.

• 51 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:36 AM

It is a bizarre collection of central attacking players, if you aren’t going to play a big man up top, and don’t fancy 442. Hard to fathom, unless it really was a case of this is the best group we could manage to put together under the circumstances, or circumstances haven’t yet allowed Rafa to settle on a better approach than we’ve seen so far. All good players, but frankly in a 4231 I think Gayle and Diame are round pegs in square holes, and yet they have the shirts.

• 52 Mister Tuff // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:03 AM

jimmy – Diame – I quite like the bloke. Never stops -harrying all the time.
    Gangly Demba Ba type leg – somehow manages to get his leg in when you don’t think he can.
    Obviously trying to burst through the first line of defence -must be under instruction the number of times he tries it -ricochets/bounce offs -any means.
    Not quite working at the minute- double/trebling up or tries just one too many and loses the ball.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:06 AM

The pit calls.

• 54 Uncertain Toon // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM

I think Diame is a good player and a goal could get the monkey off his back and he might kick on, but I just think he’s had enough chances and it’s time for a change.
    We’re at home on Saturday so the opportunity is there. 352 maybe. 3 centre halves, bit more work for the wide players, but Goofy and Ritchie have the engines.
    Maybe Rafa was expecting injuries straight away. All managers have their preferred set up so we’ll probably only see a deviation from 4231 if injuries hit the areas that facilitate that.
    Proper quandary this like!

• 55 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:39 AM

Tuff@50. Exactly right. And exactly why he hasn’t thrived here, because he hasn’t been part of a team that plays that way. Mitrovic is a much smarter player than he is given credit for and would be much more effective if he was used more intelligently.

• 56 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 3:47 AM

Well one thing that can happen of course is that Gayle and Diame further adjust, as does the the rest of the squad to them, and we really do start firing, but I think it is still fair to say that we aren’t performing as well as we’d like up top as things stand, and that if we do stick with them, then their understudies are not going to be like for like.

• 57 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 4:55 AM

Lil,
    I think he’s wrong, re that football is a simple game made complicated. It’s exactly the opposite, a complicated game made simple by, often, people who can’t delve deeper.

American football at a professional level is broken down into many plays and many combinations, where each man has a particular job to do. It’s easier to that because it’s a start stop game.

Our football has a million possible ‘plays’ every time and it’s hard to plan for everything. Hence, it remains largely an art where creativity prevails, which makes it fun, unpredictable, and allows every Tom, Dick and Harry to have, a legitimate even, opinion.

But a little more science wouldn’t hurt. Think set plays. Every player tries to kick it over the wall. You coach and I’ve played so we both know that defenses can be tricked doing something else. Imagine found something different every time!

Anyway I’ve made it all to complicated, apologies 🙂

• 58 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 4:57 AM

Found something- doing something

• 59 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 4:58 AM

To complicated- too complicated

Early in the morning. I’ll stop

• 60 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 11, 2016 at 6:17 AM

Cyprus,
    I understand what you are saying, but on set plays, just because you do something different, doesn’t make it complicated. Rather than putting it over the wall, a pass to down the side of the wall changes things, but it is still simple.

• 61 Mag52 // Oct 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Really good chat about formations on this post.
    My answer to the conundrum in attack would be to put Mitro up front, with Gouffran, Perez and Gayle behind, giving Gayle or Gouff the first half and bringing on Ritchie in place of either. In the next game, Ritchie would start with, say Gayle, and Gouff would come on in place of either second half.
    As for Mitro, he’d be rotated with Murphy from time to time.

• 62 Jib // Oct 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Big Robbie’s pics from yesterdays training session at Benton

• 63 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 11, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Elliot is starting to look like the better option this season, but Sels and Darlow of course the better EPL prospects, and Krul ultimately our best bet as no1 next season, and we also have Woodman. A true embarrassment of riches, but of course a perfect scenario for a top notch keeper to emerge from the group. To be honest I like all of them.

previous post: Newcastle Star Finally Back To Form – Video