The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star On Why Newcastle Is Like Being In Heaven

1:41 pm, Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Ron Elliot is very well liked by the Newcastle fans and that adoration is likely to become even greater after what Rob has said about the Newcastle area, but most of all the people in the area.

And after the Newcastle tourism people have read what Rob says they will no doubt want  to sign him up as a spokesman for the area.

centenniel-tyne-bridge

The Centennial Bridge with the Tyne Bridge in the background

Rob recently signed a new four year deal which will keep him at Newcastle until 2020.

But it looks like he will be living in Newcastle for the rest of his life after these comments he has made in the Chronicle today:

“I am convinced that Geordies lie to the rest of the country so that nobody else comes here!” “All of my family want to come up here and absolutely love it.”

“They come up and fall in love with the place.” “There’s no place like it in the country. I have been lucky to live in a lot of places, but there’s no place like here.”

“A city on the coast with countryside within 10 minutes.” “It may not seem much to people around here but you can also drive everybody in 15 to 30 minutes which is like heaven.”

“Down south, a 15-minute drive gets you to the end of your road!”

“I have never made it any secret that I love living up here. I have always wanted to live on the coast.”

“Once I signed a new deal I wanted to move there, I was desperate to live up that way.”

“I have two children who were born here now.” “Every day that goes by, I think there’s less chance of moving back home. This will become our home.”

“There’s so much going for it, but the biggest thing going for it, is the people.”

“Since day one they have welcomed us and they are so friendly. It’s nice to live somewhere that people are really proud of where they are from.”

“You don’t grasp that until you are up here, people are genuinely proud of where they live and you don’t get that where I’m from all the time.”

“It’s brilliant and a fantastic place to live. I feel I am at a place where I want to be.”

“When you first sign for a club this big you dream of being No 1 for a period of time.”

“I’ve signed a new contract, have a manager like Rafa and with the squad, we’ve got in just seems so good and you want to enjoy it as long as possible.”

We’ve heard of players being really happy at Newcastle, but this is ridiculous.

🙂

rob elliot - new deal

Rob Elliot after signing new four year deal

No, Rob is enthusiastic in almost everything he does and it’s simply infectious.

And now we know he just loves living in heaven – sorry – he just loves living in the Newcastle area.

God bless him!

My son Neil was over to Newcastle this summer for the first time in over 25 years and he thought it was an excellent place – a modern bustling city.

And since this article has now become all about tourism –  here’s the official tourism site for Newcastle and Gateshead for those who have never visited Newcastle.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Rob Elliot

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Ancient C, good point!

Lee, agreed with your tactical analysis.

On previous:

Of course, having said the above, players, especially, must sometimes improvise, Rafa, as the opposition has also planned and sussed you out. Improvisation can surprise everyone, even the guy who’s doing it. Google Ibrahimovic and improvisation and you’ll see many ‘hits’.

Here are some tips on improvisation, as applied to football.

Learn how to best respond to a situation (open space, man marking, left footer, etc. etc) as it happens to you. Don’t panic.

Look for ways to make the best out of every moment.
    Just be available for the ball and do the next best possible step your mind can think of. Don’t hide even if it isn’t working.

Try everything. You still don’t know what works and what doesn’t. (best do this in practice!)

Be alert and seize every opportunity. It will come.

Of course, as impro comedians will tell you, improvising (winging it) alone can lead to disaster. Best have a script ?

• 2 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Rob is a likable guy AND a good goalie.

• 3 Wayayman // Oct 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM

ROB not Ron, and Millenium Bridge…

• 4 Novocastrian66 // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Ed; it’s the Millennium Bridge.

• 5 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Bobby

You were late on parade today. You must’ve missed four threads before you deigned to join us and your mate, Essex’s missing too.

Your adoring public has waited a while for you to surface and they’ll expect a rush of wisdom-packed posts from you to make up for lost time.

• 6 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Mmm

Has Elliott inherited Keegan’s sense of geography?

A city [Newcastle] on the coast’s akin to Keegan telling Rob Lee that Newcastle was closer to London than Middlesbro!

• 7 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Cyprus

You mentioned Carver a few days ago; is he still managing out there?

• 8 WWSBRD // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Cant wait for the melt down when Elliott is fit and doesnt make the bench, that’ll be a fun couple of months

• 9 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM

I think whoever interviewed Rob Elliott must’ve mis-heard him.

He’ll not be the first to confuse Hebburn and Heaven!

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Lesh, expect a long wait for that today mate. Can’t sleep and it’s catching up on me. I’m sitting here juggling the tabley everytime I doze off. 🙂

• 11 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Tabley? Tablet, which kinda tells its own story. Snackered.

• 12 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Lesh,
    Yes he’s still here, Dabizas being the Director of Football. Both are ‘in trouble’ for being fourth (not top) and playing ugly football, apparently. Haven’t watched Omonoia play this year. Their nemesis, APOEL, keep winning in Europe, while they struggle. Unpalatable…

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Cyprus, just curious, how do you pronounce that club name?

• 14 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Like Ammonia

• 15 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:39 PM

This international break is telling on talksport even. The current topic of conversation is the world championship of conkers – and I kid you not. 🙂

• 16 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Is that not on the banned substances mate? 🙂

• 17 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Definitely performance enhancing – if you throw it at your opponent’s face. 🙂

• 18 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM

🙂

• 19 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Aye well, I think the lack of quality in my attempt at being humorous says even more than my drooping eyelids ever could.
    At last, talksport talking about one of my personal bug bears – Anthony Taylor, a born and bred Manc – refereeing games involving Manchester clubs. He’s the one who disallowed Tiote’s screamer against City and denied us a blatant penalty and red card v manure. Appears with rule changes Clattenburg can now ref a mackem game. Pressume the same applies to Oliver.

• 20 cyprus // Oct 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Aaand a quote:

“You can change your wife, your politics, your religion. But never, never can you change your favourite football team.”

I wish someone like SBR had said it but it was crazy Eric.

• 21 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Cartmann? 🙂

• 22 Bobbybee // Oct 11, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Nope, that’s god knows how many times I’ve dropped my tablet. Been lucky so far, but I’ll break it if I carry on. Guaranteed. Later chaps.

• 23 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Cyprus

It looks as though Dabizas could be protecting Carver and the fans ain’t happy. If Dabizas has any sense, he’ll build some distance between he and Carver – before they both get the push.

Aaaaand

Confucius he say….

You can.pick your friends, you can pick your nose but you can never pick your friend’s nose!

• 24 lesh // Oct 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Bobby

What’s keeping you awake bonny lad? Is there nowt you can take to help you sleep?

previous post: Benitez On Technology He Uses To Manage Newcastle