The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer’s Reaction To McClaren Getting Reappointed At Derby

6:40 pm, Wednesday, October 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

It seems utterly amazing that Derby County have reappointed Steve McClaren as their manager after he did so poorly in his second season there that culminated in him getting the sack in May of last year.

And as Alan Shearer has said – and maybe quite rightly – it could only happen in the crazy world of football.

alan shearer

Alan Shearer – only in football

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM

C’mon Bobby keep up:)

Going back belatedly to the winbar, I always believe in the principle that if enough people want something to happen then it will, therefore the influencing of the winbar needs to be all positive. To many negatives are Bad!!

• 2 mattyNUFC // Oct 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I think Yedlin is playing the best stuff of his career thus far. I only hope it can continue but am also tuned into the fact that Rafa will keep rotating him, and I don’t think Anita is a step down, nor do i believe one of them will claim the starting spot on a regular basis

On Acosta, I’d heard a lot about him. Some of the journalists on ESPN were pretty harsh on him, but their player ratings are all over the board most of the time. I think he’s got a lot going for him at only 21. If nothing else, he’s extremely confident and very quick.

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM

I don’t see why Yedlin and Anita couldn’t play together, might be an interesting combo.

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM

WWSBRD, I think a lot of that might have been disappointment that he wasn’t a big name. I think once people take a good look at him, they’ll be more impressed than they currently are.
    Agree with the American market being untapped right now. Matty mentioned a left back who’s well rated over there and unfortunately I’d never heard of the lad. I don’t really get to hear that much about the American market, whereas ssn is full of European markets. As you say, lots of S American’s in the US now – which is, imo, the main reason for the boom in real football over there. ? Probably some real talent just waiting to be found mate.

I know bill, missed it again. Al’s right of course – only in football.

• 5 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Matty, a left back with confidence? What a novel idea for Newcastle to try! 🙂

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Some of the Americans who’ve played over here have been very good some not so good.

If Yedlin is an example of some of the young talent then yes let’s get a scout out there.

The GKs have been outstanding.

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Bill, GK’s – the only position we’re adequately provided for 🙂

• 8 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Young aspirational managers must be pulling their hair out right now. I get the ‘experienced’ bit, but this smacks of rewarding failure for the old boys brigade. Not sure how young managers are meant to aquire the sort of experience McClaren has, without clubs taking a well thought out and ballanced risk.

previous post: This Newcastle Player So Brutally Honest