The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Top Player Fit Again – Will Push For Starting Position

7:12 pm, Wednesday, October 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

When we signed Jesus Gamez in the summer he looked like an excellent signing by Rafa – a player with both class and experience who wanted to join Newcastle United from the high-flying Atletico Madrid.

And the little we have seen of him he looks what he is – a classy player who should be able to make a big difference in the Championship – once he starts playing more regularly for the club.

jesus-gamez-chancel-mbemba

Jesus Gamez has laugh with Chancel Mbemba in training
That’s Rafa in the background also smiling

Gamez has been struggling with two things – adjusting to English football and he’s also picked up one or two minor injuries this season and has been suffering recently from Achilles tendon trouble.

But Rafa seems more upbeat now that Gamez could be ready to push for a place in either full-back position – because he can play equally well on either side.

Benitez was asked if his 31 year-old countryman is now ready to play for Newcastle and this is what the gaffer told the Chronicle:

“Hopefully he can.” ““When we signed him we were bringing in an experienced player in who can play on both sides of the defense.”

“For us it has been a pity. But the good thing I would say about him was he was training every day and not missing anything.”  “He was pushing himself.”

“The bad thing was that it wasn’t enough so we decided to stop him and start another treatment and we’ll see if he’s fine now.”

When Gamez arrived on Tyneside on July 8th he came with an excellent introduction from Rafa who said this about the Spanish defender:

“I am really pleased to bring Jesus here to Newcastle.” “He is a very good defender who can play on both sides, left and right.”

“He is experienced, I know he has great character and, importantly, he is an excellent professional. I am sure he will give balance to the team.”

And Gamez himself said this after his signing:

“I am really looking forward to starting the next part of my career at Newcastle.” “It was the right time to leave Atletico Madrid and this is the right move for me.”

“We have an exciting project here, to bring Newcastle back to where it belongs, in the Premier League, and I am very happy to be a part of that.”

Let’s hope Jesus can get a few games for Newcastle because his vast experience and professionalism can only help us this season.

What do you think?

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Injuries · Jesus Gamez · Newcastle News · Other News

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Repost: Young aspirational managers must be pulling their hair out right now. I get the ‘experienced’ bit, but this smacks of rewarding failure for the old boys brigade. Not sure how young managers are meant to aquire the sort of experience McClaren has, without clubs taking a well thought out and ballanced risk.

• 2 martoon // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I have to be honest I’ve only seen Gamez play in the pre-season friendly but he looked well off the pace. Maybe he wasn’t fully fit or carrying an injury but I would say he is behind Anita & Yedlin for RB and Dummett & even Clark for LB.

• 3 Ron Knee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM

“Former England boss Steve McClaren has been confirmed as Derby County’s new manager, just 17 months after he was sacked by the Championship club.”

• 4 mattyNUFC // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM

martoon

agreed. Jamez did not look up to snuff, however, I have to trust in Rafa and the simple fact that he played for one of the best teams in Europe over the past few seasons

glad to hear this hiatus was due to injury rather than form.

• 5 WWSBRD // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Tbf Gamez came in unfit and injured pretty harsh to judge him on preseason. He came from Athletico Madrid so he’s not a bad player clearly

I reckon we will see a fair bit of him once his injury is behind him

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Martoon, I was there that game too and you’re being generous to him. 🙂 He looked awful that game but I wonder how much of that was down to lack of fitness? As Rafa hasn’t played him since he also wasn’t impressed. Maybe he’s match fit again? He wouldn’t be under consideration if he hadn’t impressed Rafa in training, so let’s see what he can do. Competition keeps everyone on their toes – may the best man win. 🙂

• 7 Jib // Oct 12, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Roll up roll up for Jail’s Rafa bingo
    I’m sure he will poke his nose above the parapet before Saturday – I believe he’s on his hollies.
    If anyone gets Rafa’s eleven right – I’ll bare me arse in Fenwicks window !

• 8 Jib // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Ed would say
    Parrish’s window – as a good Walker boy (Fenwicks was for the posh folk)

Seeing that weather – it’s no surprise he re-located to North Carolina !

• 9 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM

It’s a little surprising that McClaren is back at Derby, but not surprising to see him back at a mid sized club like that. He’s had his ups and downs in football but in truth there isn’t a massive pool of available people that can do the job of manager in the epl and Championship. He failed to get them up, but that as we know was is easy task. He failed badly at Newcastle, but we know he inherited a demoralised group, and the players weren’t his. He’s failed elsewhere, but had a number noteworthy successes too, and neither of his successors at Derby, Clement nor Pearson, both well credentialed, have since done better.

• 10 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:06 PM

# was/is no easy task

• 11 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Ah ha. I realise you’ve set me up there with a slam dunk jib, but I shall decline the offer. 🙂

• 12 Bobbybee // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Jimmy, the Derby fans I know are made up with him going back. Clearly we didn’t see the best of him, but surely they saw the mess he made of his last job? Sadly we have to play them again and don’t do well usually in such games! 🙂 Will he come back to haunt us? Maybe not this time, I fancy Rafa to best him. The crazy world of football eh? Back in work so quickly after taking a big club down? Shearer’s right.

• 13 jane // Oct 12, 2016 at 9:56 PM

i was never a fan of Steve McClaren as manager of NUFC but i hope he is successful at Derby as he is a nice man

..whereas Joey Barton is not!

• 14 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM

So Gamez CAN play either side. Got talked out of that a bit on here. Quite an embarrassment of riches we have at fullback now then, Anita, Yedlin, Gamez, Haidarra, Lazaar, Dummett, Clark, crikey, we really do have terrific depth now, which just serves to underline how far misguided our approach was pre Rafa.

• 15 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM

My team for Brentford, which I’ll also enter into Jails Rafa Bingo malarkey.

……………………Sels..

Anita…….Clark…….Lascelles……Lazaar…

…………….Shelvey……Hayden..

…….Ritchie……….Perez………Gouffran…
    ………………………..Mitro..

Darlow
    Yedlin
    Mbemba
    Colback
    Diame
    Atsu
    Gayle

• 16 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 11:01 PM

I didn’t think we’d see Gamez in any more games for us, still not expecting to see much of him, possibly some cup games although I don’t believe Rafa will field weak teams as he wants to win something other than just the Championship.

• 17 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Jimmy
    I think you’re guilty of premature speculation there, I don’t think Jail wants to to post till Ed has posted possible line-up.

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Oh I see that’s what you will post, my apologies.

• 19 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 12, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Bill, all I ever do on here is grasp at straws, idle away my time and get things wrong. So the timing of it hardly seems to matter then.

previous post: Shearer’s Reaction To McClaren Getting Reappointed At Derby