The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Already Getting The Best Out Of This Top Defender

10:21 am, Thursday, October 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

27 year-old Irish International Ciaran Clark can play at center-back, left back or in defensive midfield, so he’s quite a versatile player to have in the Newcastle squad.

So far in his Newcastle career the 6ft 2ins tall player has made 7 appearances and he has played at both center-back and left back.

Currently he seems to be first choice at center-back with captain Jamaal Lascelles and he’s keeping both Chancel Mbemba and Grant Hanley on the sidelines at the moment.

ciaran clark debut reading

Ciaran Clark in his debut against Reading

The Harrow-born defender played for all the England youth sides, but was then selected to play for the Republic of Ireland because his parents are both Irish.

Clark has been playing really well for us over the last few games and he’s been outstanding in defense – and Rafa already seems to be bringing the very best out of the former Aston Villa defender.

This is what Ciaran Clark has told the Chronicle today when asked what he thought his best position was:

“I prefer to play centre-half.” “I have played in a lot of positions but to be honest I will play anywhere I am asked.”

“I’d play in goal if I had to. Centre-half, though, is the position that I’d like to settle down in.”

“We have some quality players here and hopefully through training more, and playing more with all the boys, we will all strike up good partnerships.”

“With the rotation system we have here it means you can get a partnership going with different players when needed.”

“We’ll see how it goes and look to get good results.”

We’ll have to wait and see if Ciaran will start the game against Brentford on Saturday.

Ireland won both their games during the International break beating Georgia 1-0 at home and Moldova 3-1 away.

Ciaran played the full 90 minutes in each game and since the last game at Moldova was on Sunday he should be OK and will probably start for Newcastle against Brentford on Saturday.

Ciaran is looking to be an excellent signing for us for only £5M.

Tags: Championship · Ciaran Clark · Coaching · International break · International News · Newcastle News

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Oct 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM

The signing of Clark certainly raised a few eyebrows on here, but he’s settled into the team and now looks very steady in the back four. I think Clark is a fine example of what Rafa described as ‘players I think I can improve with the right coaching’. It appears he had gone a bit stale at Villa and this change has rejuvenated his career. He certainly looks better in black n white than he ever did in claret and blue.

• 2 funlovingexpress // Oct 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM

I unlike many was actually pleased we got him. He had a poor season last season but was hardly picked. The season before however he was immense and villa fans were saying he should have been their player of the year.

Form is temporary class is permament.

I dont write off good players because of one bad game or even a bad season.

It was exactly tyhe same reason I was happy we got Murphy as he is a better goalscorer than Mccormack but was out for half a season last season.

Hanley was the only one that had me scratching my head

• 3 manxpie // Oct 13, 2016 at 10:48 AM

I wasn’t one of them bobby I remember saying he was the only one who looked like he gave a shit in that villa team
    We actually need more of these kind of signings instead of gambles on foreign cheap imports that have been the reason imo for our demise

and on Maradona let’s face it its true it is still mental that rafa is here, but would like to see Diego manage in England just for the craziness of it

• 4 Nikolai // Oct 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Hey everyone

I purchased a home match ticket 3 days ago. I am currently residing in the Netherlands and I am supposed to get it by mail but I leave tomorrow morning to Newcastle. Can I still enter the stadium with proof of purchase? This is my first time at nufc game, and tips/advice appreciated!

• 5 funlovingexpress // Oct 13, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Nikolai contact the box office. They will be able to make it so you can pick it up on the day

• 6 lesh // Oct 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM

I’m ok with the Robledos and Mirandinha as firsts but pray, were we really the first British club to sign Argentians?

Where do Teves and Mascherino (spelling?) fit into things?

• 7 Jib // Oct 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I thought Ricky Villa and Ozzy Ardiles was the 1st Argentinian players at Spurs.

Ozzy was the 1st Argie manager with us.

• 8 Nikolai // Oct 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM

(+44 870 444 1892 for non UK supporters)

Is this the correct number to call from the netherlands? Ive tried a dozen numbers and none put me through.

• 9 Jib // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM

0844 372 1892

• 10 Jib // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I’ve just phoned 00448443721892 from Spain and got straight through !

• 11 Tsunki // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

To be honest nikolai if you just turn up in good time at the box office on match day they will give you your ticket right there. Not an unusual thing to do with these last minute online bookings.

• 12 Tsunki // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

I can’t be sure but I seem to recall even some references to Clark as being a replacement Willo which was slightly unfair as they are hardly alike. Clark seems to have put down a solid run without too much fanfare, a good addition to the back line I’d say. Not surprising though as some seem to feel.

• 13 Nikolai // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Thanks Jib, Tsunki. The phone didnt work for me, it could be due to my cellphone plan perhaps. Ill give the box office a visit early friday morning to have this sorted.

• 14 lesh // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Correct! I completely forgot about Ardiles and Villa.

Well spotted.

• 15 lesh // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM

In the UK, numbers beginning with 0844, 0870 are premium rate numbers and cost more than calls to standard landlines

Here’s a link to ‘Say No To 0870’s site showing alternative numbers to the ones you’ve been given.

• 16 lesh // Oct 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM

This link should get you to the say no site

Enter the premium rate number where shown and you might find cheaper landline numbers – especially useful if you’re calling from a mobile phone

previous post: Football Legend’s Confusing Comment On Rafa Benitez