Sky Pundit Points Finger At Who Responsible For Relegation

Most Newcastle fans put the blame (responsibility) for our relegation at the feet of head coach Steve McClaren because the squad we had last year was certainly not one of the worst three in the Premier League and especially after we spent around £80M on players through the season.

This view was supported by Rafa Benitez coming in and after the first four games when we lost three, he had Newcastle playing almost like a top six side with three wins and three draws and it was the same squad.

That culminated in Newcastle beating Spurs at home 5-1 in the final game of the season with Spurs sitting in second place before that game and dropping to 3rd place below north London rivals Arsenal with the defeat.

ian-holloway-in-newcastle-dressing-room

Ian Holloway – Sky Sports pundit

And since Managing Director Lee Charnley appointed McClaren after he was fired at Derby County a year last May, Lee has to take responsibility for that choice and then leaving it far too late before he fired Steve in early March.

At any other club Steve McClaren would have been fired long before Christmas after starting the league with just 3 points from the first 8 league games – our worst start ever in the PL.

We were rock bottom of the league below Sunderland and Aston Villa after we were embarrassingly hammered 6-1 at Stamford Bridge on October 3rd.

But that view of who was responsible is not shared by Sky Sports pundit and former Blackpool manager Ian Holloway who lays the blame fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the Newcastle players.

This is what Ian has said today on Sky Sports:

“If Benitez didn’t decide to stay then a blame culture would have started to develop within the fan base.”

“But all the blame from them is seemingly pointed at Steve McClaren rather than Benitez, which is helping the atmosphere.”

“That is an easy cop out though, to blame the previous manager.”

“In my opinion the blame lies solely with the players that took the club down – some of them failed to show up last season.”

“The bad habits of last season are behind them now. A swift return to the Premier League looks on the cards.”

It’s interesting that Derby County rehired Steve McClaren yesterday to be their new manager after former Newcastle coach Nigel Pearson was fired from the job last Saturday.

What logic Derby used to reach the decision to rehire Steve after his disastrous showing at Newcastle is beyond us.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Brentford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Ibiza
    Yeah am just gonna ignore the Cheryl talk haha poor lass

Madison
    I see ur point mate and I agree he will come in again at some point but right now it wouldn’t be rotating Darlow it’d be dropping him and not for footballing reasons I can’t see that happening tbh but who knows

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Rafa bingo for what it’s worth.

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett

Colback Shelvey

Ritchie Diame The Gouff

Gayle

Not my personal choice, but then who’s is?

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Holloway there is more than 1 thing to blame McClaren is certainly in the mix

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Bobby
    Same team as mine I think

• stripes1009

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Wonder what ‘odds’ l’ll get for Derby being relegated…..?

• MadisonToon

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM

WWSBRD

You bring up a really good distinction. What do you think is the difference between rotating and dropping?

To me, dropping is when someone played poorly and is not started the next game because of it.

Rotating is when there are multiple players for a single spot who all play some fraction of the games not due to the previous starters performance.

If those are the definitions, my argument for Sels coming in would be rotation since it wouldn’t be based on Darlow’s performances (which have been good). However, if you’re working off different definitions of rotation and dropping then maybe you would see this as dropping – which is why I wonder what other’s thoughts are on those two.

I have a feeling this will be a season-long debate on why someone is in for a given game.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:36 PM

WWSBRD, there are two sayings that cover that situation. 1, is great minds think alike. 2 is fools seldom differ. Let’s go with the former eh? 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Madison
    I agree with that on every position barring keeper mate, I don’t see that as a rotation spot because they don’t fatigue as much

Sels got 9/10 games before being dropped (I don’t think he was rotated I think he was replaced) and to stick him back in now tells Darlow ur not going to get a chance to be number 1 (which he earned at shot at after last season imo) regardless of ur performances which I really hope doesn’t happen because I like Darlow

• MadisonToon

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM

WWSBRD

I think keeper could definitely be the exception to the rule. The problem is that we are going to have three potential #1s when Elliot is fully fit again. I just don’t see how we can keep them all happy. Maybe introducing some amount of rotation early in the season (i.e. now) before Elliot is back will be able to keep them all happy longer as game time decreases with the inclusion of Elliot into the picture.

Maybe we’ll end up with a clear starter, but if Rafa wants to go the rotation route, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Sels in goal against Brentford.

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Bobby
    I’d say I fall into both camps but aye we will go with the former haha

Madison
    Again mate u might be right but in this team I don’t think u can judge a keeper on a game here or there I’d say they need a good run before u can see where they are at, Sels has had his now and clearly needs time to adapt, Darlow is getting his chance atm

As for Elliott personally I don’t see him as anything other than covering injuries so him being back fit doesn’t come into my thinking

• Rotonda heights

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:51 PM

SMm may eventually crack it if he ever learns it’s 3 points for a win, only 1 for a draw.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Not sure rotation includes keepers myself. You can’t keep changing keepers after all. Sels had something like nine games or whatever so I imagine – disasters aside – Darlow will be given something similar himself. Sels thinks he’s the best. Darlow thinks he should be No1. Only one way to find out who’s best – FIGHT!!! 🙂

• Harley

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Holloway is in such awe of Rafa he’s tipped us to get beat on Saturday???

• Average_Contents

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM

My confirmed Rafa Bingo Lineup.

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Mbemba Dummett

Hayden Shelvey

Ritchie Gayle Gouffran

Mitro

Pretty please rafa. Think that team would destroy Brentford tbh and I wanna see Gayle and Mitro together from the start.

Gayle would be slightly further forward playing off Mitro but couldn’t be arsed moving him in my little team 🙂

If not Gayle then Perez like at QPR.

Hwtl
    Hwtf

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Stripes, increase your odds by making it a double with the mackems mate. You won’t get great odds for the mackems, but it will significantly increase your payout and, let’s be honest, it’s a canny safe bet. 🙂

• MadisonToon

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Bobby and WWSBRD

I agree that keeper is a tricky one to rotate – looking forward to see how/if it happens. Regardless, I think we should give Brentford a nice hiding and look forward to it.

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Madison
    Oh aye mate was just curious of u putting Sels in not saying it’s wrong or anything just a discussion piece really

I think it’ll be a 2-0 win for us

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Maddison, all that really matters is beating Brentford, regardless of who’s in goal. Can we beat them? Why aye. We’ve got two complete teams, either of which is capable of beating anybody else in this league, so the odds are we should win. 2-0 I’m going with.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM

WWSBRD – again we agree, this time on the score. Spooky. 🙂

• firebug666

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo Line up:

Darlow

Yedlin—-Lascelles—-Clarke—-Dummet

Shelvey—-Hayden

Richie—-Gayle—-Gouffran

Mitrovic

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:23 PM

2-0 win, not with.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Firebug, you getting inside info again mate? 🙂

• MadisonToon

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM

I have a feeling it’ll be another strong showing and we’ll end up 4-0 winners. Might be 3-0 but if we have Gayle on at the end of the match, we’ll probably grab another on the counter – if it’s Mitro up top then we’re unlikely to get too many swift counterattacking threats.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Actually, I’m not sure what I mean. Whatever it is, we win 2-0 and get three points. 🙂

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Maddison, hope you’re right matey, another entertaining day out in line for us if you are. We do appear solid at the back, despite conceding three v Norwich – a screamer, penalty and huge deflection. Here’s to another clean sheet.

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Bobby
    Haha I get to everyone eventually, like a cult leader

• Ibizatoon

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Yo…Blog King / Cult Leader…I was close. Not much difference really 🙂

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:40 PM

WWSBRD, mmm, as long as I don’t have to give up all my worldly possessions, because nobody is getting their mitts on my ST. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Ibiza
    Haha I operate more in the shadows than a kingship would allow

Bobby
    Ull never become a trancedended member with that attitude ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Bobby, WWBRSD

Well I am going to join the great minds, simpletons club and post the same team. In fact I’v been really lazy and just copied and posted yours Bobby. 🙂

I see your copying and pasting is working OK now. 🙂

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett

Colback Shelvey

Ritchie Diame The Gouff

Gayle

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:58 PM

WWSBRD, not sure I want a trancended member to be honest. That’s something else nobody is getting their mitts on! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Oops, Forgot to say

Bobby, WWBRSD

Well I am going to join the great minds, simpletons club and post the same team. In fact I’v been really lazy and just copied and posted yours Bobby. ?

I see your copying and pasting is working OK now. ?

Jail Raf’s Bingo

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett

Colback Shelvey

Ritchie Diame The Gouff

Gayle

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Bill, if we win do we get five points each or are they split amongst us? 🙂 And yes, jib’s idiot proof instruction video lived up to its name. There’ll be no stopping me now. Although, if I do copy something, I’ll confess immediately and not leave myself wide open to plagiarism charges.

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Time slip Bill? 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Bobby
    Haha fair plays, sorry was an odd tangent I was watching a doc on Scientology and it went to my head

Essex
    Welcome to the club, we shall all share the points

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Anyway, got something to do for a couple of hours so might catcha later.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Bobby

I forgot to put Jail Rafa’s Bingo which would have probably bu&&ered my entry.

WWBRSD

The Ron Hubbard fan club. A very strange bunch.

• Ron Knee

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:55 PM

“US singer Bob Dylan has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature, becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious award.”

Well, well, well!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Ron

Yes, I suppose you could say, ‘That the times they are a changing’

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Every body is saving their commenting for Saturday!!