Benitez Gives Update On Injuries – One Player Still Out

During Rafa’s press conference earlier this afternoon the manager gave an update on Newcastle’s injuries and it seems a number of the injured players are slowly but surely are coming back into the fray.

Rob Elliot came back to full training earlier this week and Massadio Haidara has been back for some weeks now, but it seems the recovery of Rolando Aarons from his foot injury is continuing and he could still be out for a while.

rafa benitez rolando aarons

Rafa Benitez with Rolando Aarons

Here’s what Rafa said about the injury situation at Newcastle:

“Rob Elliot, Massadio Haidara are back training, still some problems with Aarons. Daryl Murphy is coming back and Jesus Gamez too though not ready.”

“Everyone’s fine. Some tired, some late, but fine. They have trained all together. No problems. You know when you have so many players it is not easy.”

“We keep an eye on them and we are in contact, you just have to keep your fingers crossed and help them recover.”

“We can’t say too much about Rolando Aarons because we are waiting to see what happened.” “I am concentrating on the problem with his foot.”

With the type of injury Rolando picked up it’s always difficult to estimate just how long he could be out – so there’s not even a guess as to when he could return to training.

It’s a pity for the 21 year-old who has had a lot of injuries over the last couple of years – he’s due a break at some point.

But it does look like the rest of the squad are nearly all fit with Daryl Murphy and Jesus Games almost ready, but not available for the game tomorrow.

Certainly the injury situation under Rafa Benitez has changed drastically this season from previous years – and all for the better.

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Brentford?

View Results

Yedlin – lascelles – Clark – Dummet

Shelvey – Isaac

Ritchie – Gayle – Gouffran

Mitro

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:54 PM

The Gouff! It is The Gouff Bill, the most improved player on our books. 🙂 Either it’s a coincidence or he makes that much difference. Bit of both? Sounds about right.

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:54 PM

**(Isaac) Hayden!!

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Clematis, oh aye? Isaac is it? I hope you ain’t his brother and acting off inside information, that sort of thing is frowned upon on here. 🙂

• chicousa

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM

JfA’s Rafa Bingo confirmed lineup:

Darlow
    Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummet
    Shelvy, Hayden
    Ritchie, Gale, Gouffy
    Mitro

Can’t wait for the match….hate these blasted 2 week breaks!!!

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Haha! I tried to correct it as soon as I could, BB!

I’d prefer to see Lazaar at leftback but I think he’ll stick with Dummett.

And I could equally see Big Vurn get the RB slot.

Rafa deffo has the players on tenterhooks!

• Jib

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Rafa has the friggin players on tenterhooks !!!!
    What about us poor saps ffs !!!!!

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Clem, not just the players mate, he’s got us all the same! I’d like Yedlin to start but I think he’ll go with Vern. Also got the feeling he might persist with Diame, but hope I’m wrong. Rafa doesn’t make selection easy on any of us. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM

I was thinking about The Gouff as Bobby surmised, has Wor Jack been in all of our winning teams.

I wouldn’t mind Anita and Yedlin starting leaving Diame out but I doubt if he’d do that.

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Jib/BB: ….yeah, and us fans, too!

But this, in a way, is a good thing!

I cannot wait for the game tmrw….as soon as I see beatboxing spiderman (if he’s there) I’ll be buzzing!

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Mitro has to start for me, Gayle just in behind/playing off him. Will Rafa drop Diame to facilitate this?, the jury is out!

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM

And that bill, is why we’re flogging a dead horse trying to second guess him. 🙂

• BandB

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Clematis // Aug 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Pardew is, and has been, saying that Cabs is for sale and is inviting prospective buyers. Once he’s sold watch all the stumbling blocks for prospective purchases suddenly fall away. Why is the club not honest with the fans: we’re not buying until we sell.

Welcome back Clematis. Are you flooding back?
    Methinks.

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM

I see the Derby Vs Leeds game is the televised 3 o’clock game the morn! Who wants to watch that gash?

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Clem, lost me at beatboxing spiderman mate. 🙂

Uncertain, jib heard a rumour he might go 442 I think, so you never know. I don’t agree with two holding midfielders at home myself, which would free up space for twin strikers, but Rafa seems pretty stuck on 4231.

• Jib

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Moyes has had his chaps in for extra training and everything – tomorrow really is shit or bust for the unwashed – C’MON STOKE !!!!

• Jib

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Bobby
    It was some journos talking on twatter – but as Hibbit (I think it was ) says – they’re just guessing like the rest of us.

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Band B, that was a blast from the past! But I was right! Ah, love me toon but I sold my season ticket after we were beaten at home by Swansea 2-nil a few years back and only just bought a season ticket again this season.

I’ve posted now and again on here but read daily. The love is totally back now that we’re being run correctly! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Jib, right, thought it might be a better source. 🙂 I’ve gone 0-0 on my super6 for the stoke game. Two crap teams playing out a bore draw. Happy to be wrong though and for stoke to batter them. 🙂

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:47 PM

BB: beatboxing spidermam rules! Apart from that week he clearly had a dildo down the front of his suit!

I’m going for a 3-nil home win tmrw!

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:48 PM

The 3-nil is for us…

…but pray Stoke get the same!

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Bobby, I’d be made up if we went 442 pal, just so Rafa could see it for himself over 90 mins. Just can’t see this how this 4231 business works in the Championship.
    Like you’ve said, 2 holding midfielders at home doesn’t make sense, we’re 3rd top not 3rd bottom, we’ve got goals in us from all positions.
    I like Ian Holloway, don’t like his prediction!, but he’s right that the potential is there for us to go on a big winning streak and really steamroller teams.
    I can’t see that happening with 4231 tho!

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Clem, hahaha, sounds funny, but you’ve still lost me! Anyway, gotta go. I’ll use my time wisely and discover just who beatboxing spiderman is and get back to you. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Clem, right, got it. Never had the pleasure myself but from reviews, that might not be a bad thing! Enjoy the game tomorrow, I know I will. 🙂

• Jib

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:01 PM

• Clematis

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:27 PM

BB: b-boxing spidey does seem/look crazy but in the flesh he is fab!

Cheers, bud 🙂

• mattyNUFC

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Bobbybee and Essex Bill

a few threads back…

I’ve had two weeks to maybe psyche myself out over this match, but I think this will be a team very much in the Huddersfield mould; no fear, high pressing, quick on the break. They (admittedly i’m going off of match reports) seem to be playing some of the best football in the league. Scott Hogan has been on fire as well.

This game will be no walk in the park. I’m predicting a very hard-fought 1-0 or 2-1

• mattyNUFC

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Uncertain

Have to trust in Rafa. I think he’ll mix up formations later down the season, but like he said, he likes his teams set up as a 4231 with the option to go 433. I can’t see him getting too experimental.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:48 PM

• mattyNUFC

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

also re Diame

I too think we should try out 442 with gayle and mitro/murphy

but, we’re also not losing with Diame in the side, and i think he can only improve from the past 3 or so matches. he was great his first few and that’s the Mo we know and expect

• lesh

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Can’t see Rafa playing two up front.

A Brighton supporter who was very pi$$ed off at losing to Brentford, said Brentford’s goals came from sitting back and catching Brighton out when they attacked.

So, if we’re to see a battle of managerial wits, I think Rafa’ll play his usual game inviting Brentford to attack then catch them on the break.

Could the game pan out as a tedious 0-1? That’ll do me.

• lesh

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM

* ah but….. A tedious 1-0 would be more like it.

Whoops

• mattyNUFC

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM

lesh. don’t care how we win. moaners will moan, but all that will be remembered if we win the league/get promoted is that we won the league/were promoted

all that matters

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Matty, Lesh –
    Have to agree with you both, I suppose 4231 has us in this position and with the improvements that rafa sees can happen, we can only progress.
    Just not a fan of 4231 from a fans perspective obviously, want goals and loads of them!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Jib

Just what is that lady doing, it looked a bit like she was helping herself to his takings, although I’m sure she wasn’t.

Bet it was his mum.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Matty

I think they’ll all be games like that, as has been said many times there’s no easy games in this league Rotherham was a good example of this.

The standard is a mixture of top class EPL quality and gritty lower league which constitutes a tough mixture.

But as Bobby and I said we have to be winning these games or we will stay down.

Every team has good players but we have more than any one else.

Two have been mentioned for Brentford we’ve got at least six or more.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Cardiff have some canny players, interesting to see how Hoilett plays as he’s nearly joined us in the past (or not)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Bristol will go above us if they win so c’mon Cardiff.

I’ll join everybody else watching the game. 🙂