The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa On Why Magnificent Fans Are So Vital

9:01 am, Saturday, October 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

It looks like the game at St. James’ Park today against Brentford could be another full house with over 51,000 tickets sold by last night and only 1300 short of a sell-out.

And when you consider Newcastle have sold out their away day allocation of 6,0000 tickets for the game at Barnsley on Tuesday night the Newcastle fans are certainly supporting the team this season in the hope we can make it straight back to the Premier League this season.

Rafa Benitez at St. James’ Park against Norwich

It’s not the first time Rafa Benitez has talked about just how important the fans are to the players and today he has said this about what he calls our magnificent fans:

“That is how magnificent our fans are.” “Every single time you go away you can hear them.”   “That is massive for our players.”

“I think they can give our players an extra motivation.” “They can make the difference, and sometimes, when a player needs support, they have to be there.”

“They have to support any player.” “What you have to ask for is the players to give everything.”

“Dwight Gayle was missing chances, but after he scored three goals.”

“During the games, if you support the players, it will be a win-win situation.”

Newcastle have averaged over 50,000 fans at St James’s Park in the Championship so far, which is higher than our average seven years ago when we were last down in England’s second tier.

And of course our last home what that sensational win against Norwich City when we were 3-2 down after 94 minutes played and yet somehow came away with all 3 points.

The game was simply unbelievable and not good for the old heart!

We hope today’s game is not that sensational and that we can win it a lot more easily.

That’s the hope in any case.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Brentford?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Fans · Newcastle Fans · Newcastle News · Other News

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 sing in the corner // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM

60000 toon fans at Barnsley?? Wow ed, that’s gonna be one hell of an atmosphere 🙂

• 2 sing in the corner // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Well, off out for the day, pleased to see he weather forecast changed and it looks dry and bright for the game. Proud it’s gonna be a near sellout, can’t wait to get up there!
    I’m guessing Rafa will start solid again,as usual. Brentford counter well and we want to draw them out a bit, not get caught. I’m sure we’ll establish a base then crank it up as we increasingly dominate them. Hopefully, I mean!

• 3 Ian Magpie // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Visually our home fans are fantastic and what other team would get crowds of 50,000 in the 2nd tier and after winning nowt for a life time? Simply fantastic! However our vocal support at home more often than not is nothing short of woeful compared to when I stood in the Gallowgate corner many moons ago. I guess it’s a sign of the times and a symptom of modern football. 50,000 in the 70,s was ear splittingly loud… it just isn’t and more kids are busy with mobiles than having fun making a noise. Get it sorted Newcastle. It’s what we use to be famous for!!!

• 4 toontaff2 // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM

A cold, damp, rainy day on the North East coast! Let’s hope the Southern Softies don’t fancy it!
    Rafa’s Bingo Bee:
    Anita Lascalles Clark Dummett
    Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Gouffy
    MentalMitro(hopefully!) Gayle

subs: Sels, Mbemba, Yedlin, Hazaar!, Atsu, Colback, Diame

• 5 sing in the corner // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Can’t argue too much with that Ian..

For me it’s been obviously heading that way since the onset of the Sky, all seater stadium era.
    Doesn’t stop me making a mug of meself singing me heart out though. Anyone who started going after the late 80s or so simply doesn’t know any different I suppose, being a fan in the ground has changed so much.

• 6 sing in the corner // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM

My forecast says bright, sunny spells and 12 to 13 degrees mate. But maybe I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to the toon. 🙂

• 7 toontaff2 // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Ian Magpie is spot on – getting the vocal chords warmed up!
    Watch out Gallowgate!

• 8 toontaff2 // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Sing – It’s still shorts and short sleeves, for me!

• 9 sing in the corner // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Good man! Don’t forget your sun screen!

• 10 Jib // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I think Warnock and Bruce are good for the respective clubs Caaaardiff and AV they have joined , and they may even get them promotion.

However , the big difference is , that is where their ambitions stop .

Whereas with Rafa and his “proyecto” that is just the beginning of his ambitions !

• 11 Jib // Oct 15, 2016 at 9:43 AM

If Wigan Blackburn and Villa win (all have home fixtures ) and Derby County lose at home to Leeds , Steve McClaren could find himself in familiar territory.

• 12 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Yo ho ho and a very merry match day bloggers. 🙂 God, it’s been a long two weeks hasn’t it? Can’t wait to get back on my seat, surrounded by like minded people and screaming the lads on to a comfortable win. That’s the plan anyway. 🙂

• 13 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM

any1 know if we will be on tv or stremed today

• 14 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

You gotta love the ex mackem Gray. Every week he comes on talksport and tries to convince everybody that this is the week scum get off the mark. He sounds so excited by the prospect, only to get let down again and again. This time it’s because Stoke are at home and under pressure… 🙂

• 15 SPRINGY // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

wish i could be so confident,but our home form has been….erratic at best,we should win,and hope we do convincingly but always a little doubt in my mind that the players will turn up half arsed like they have at times in the past……..heres hoping your ryt,mate.

• 16 SPRINGY // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM

ive not seen any links for the match today,and there was’nt any overseas broadcasting on site so i doubt there will be….thats a pain in the arse.

• 17 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Springy, positive thinking matey, you know it makes sense! 🙂 Granted, I am the eternal optimist but we’re back on a good run. What can go wrong? Lmao! We’ll carry on where we left off before the break. This lot don’t mind playing football, so it’ll suit us more. Early goal mate and we’re flying. These are games we have to win, it’s that simple. They’ll be more concerned than we are.

• 18 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM

• 19 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM

I’m with you toontaff and Ian – let’s make some racket today. They’re bringing a third of their average home gate up today. Visiting fans just love it up here. 🙂 I’d love to see level7 being the singing section again. You can generate a lot more noise with that roof being lower to the fans and we used to drown out visiting fans. This needs raising at the fans forum imo.

• 20 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 10:54 AM

2Jib // Oct 15, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Beermonkey, jib posted this earlier. Nobody’s fault if it turns out to be dodgy though. 🙂

• 21 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM

bobby / jib

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:47 AM

My missus is on a Spring (Autumn) cleaning spree, every time I settle down to type it’s Bill can you move this or mend this. I really love her but it does get annoying especially on match day.

• 23 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM

send her shopping or to the hair saloon

• 24 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM

With my credit card, no way mate. 🙂

• 25 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM

giver her some cash then and tell her to go buy somin nice
    u will get some peace and maybe a reward later

• 26 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM

If she’s anything like mine Bill, she’s worth the effort. 🙂

• 27 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM

That’s a cunning plan beermonkey, you’ve done this before haven’t you? 😉

• 28 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM

we all have our ways of getting what we want

• 29 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Beermonkey 🙂

• 30 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

and before a smart arse appears on here
    i mean using rohypnol or anything like that

• 31 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM

i dont mean

god i am digging a hole here

• 32 Ibizatoon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

beermonkey…Not sure that has cleared much up for smart arses 🙂

• 33 Ibizatoon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Ha ha. Too slow Ibiza.

• 34 ShirebrookToon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Or you could just have an argument with the missus so she buggers off out. It works for me lol 🙂

• 35 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:25 PM

thats just cheap lol

• 36 firebug666 // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Having a missus is what headphones were invented for.

I think Geordie Two has had far too much influence on you 😀

• 37 ShirebrookToon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM

That’s why I do it lol. More money for beer and footy. Either that or get a man cave. Mines currently under construction 🙂

• 38 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM

he is a bad man at times and slightly disturbed

• 39 beermonkey // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM

man cave went when my boy was born

• 40 ShirebrookToon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Same here. That’s why I’m converting the garage lol. He’s getting into football now aswell so it’s 2 against one haha

• 41 Bobbybee // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Right, time to get ready for the journey into toon. Hope you all enjoy the game as much as I intend to. Catch ya later when the celebrations are in full swing. 🙂 Howay the Lads!!!!!!

• 42 ShirebrookToon // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Result today could go either way imo. We seem to be better on the road at the minute

• 43 firebug666 // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Slightly disturbed?

Anyway before the honey badgers are unleashed on me, I think today may get a little tough and scrappy, but still fancy us to knock out a good win, so my prediction is 3-0 to the lads, and a bottle of Glenfiddich for your truly.

Ahhh the things I do for this club la!

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Ah yes the celebration drink, I’m looking forward to it.

previous post: Rafa Reveals Player Trains Too Hard – He’s So Keen To Improve