The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

How Newcastle Compare To 2009 After 12 Games Played

6:56 am, Sunday, October 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

For the first time this season we are doing better than Chris Hughton’s Championship winning side of 2009-2010 and after 12 games played we have 25 points, which is one point more than we had seven years ago after 12 games played.

Newcastle had just lost their second game of the season 1-0 at Nottingham Forest on October 17th, 2009 and it would be followed by a second successive defeat at Scunthorpe United three days later on the following Tuesday night in front of 8,921 fans.

chris hughton championship trophy newcastle

Chris Hughton with Championship trophy on 2010

That was three defeats for the season after we had lost to Blackpool earlier in the season (2-1 on 16th September), but there would be only one more defeat all season long – at Derby County in early February when we lost 3-0, the biggest defeat of that season.

After the two successive defeats we would go on a seven game winning streak before drawing 2-2 at Barnsley on 12th December.

We never lost a game at home during the 2009-2010 season and won 18 of our 23 home games – 59 points at home that season and 43 points away from home for a total of 102 points.

Here’s the comparison after 12 games played.

PlayedWon Lost DrawGFGAGDPoints
This Season139312711+1628
2009-2010 Season13733198+1124

Tags: Championship · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:04 AM

From what I’ve read in the press and on here, opinions are sharply divided on Perez’s contribution yesterday!

• 2 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM

You need go no further, in my opinion, than checking out Charlie’s match analysis. I was at the match and just back on the blog this morning…in my opinion he was spot on.
    Perez is a concern. He’s gone back over. The odd thing was his head was down. He saw enough of the ball, but gave it up more often than not. What little zip he had is gone, no pace at all now.
    Shelvey was outstanding, particularly 1st half. He’s like our quarterback in US football, throwing pin point bombs out to the wide receiver. And big shout out to Jack Colback, who continues to improve – he protected Shelvey most of the game and recycled the ball time and time again. Bursting into the box and would have been on the scoresheet if the final ball had got to him.

• 3 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:27 AM

While on Colback..
    No doubt Colbacks 2ND LEAGUE BOOKING of the season will be what most will mention, despite his impressive desire and industry in the engine room.

• 4 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:36 AM

Perez is there to break down defences in the crowded final third. He obviously ideally shouldn’t be turning over possession, but he’s going to lose the ball, and give it away more often than Shelvey and Colback.

• 5 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Watching him at close quarters he’s looking like he’d rather be somewhere else Jimmy. Which is a shame and a bit of a head scratcher… I like the kid but he’s got work to do to stay in the team for me.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:49 AM

I listened to the match on the radio yesterday and Anita seemed to be in the thick of things, he seemed to be the name most mentioned.

• 7 hibbit // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Charlie always gives a very honest report and yesterday was no different

not sure why people on here are so against Colback and Dummett but it looks to me that they are doing exactly what Rafa asks

Rafa must be seeing something in Perez that i don’t by far the most disappointing player this season with no end product well off the pace and at times looking totally un interested ?

• 8 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Surprised me that Anita seemed to be mentioned a lot on the radio… Not really noticed too much in the game, but did his job ok.
    I’m liking Clark, he and Lascelles looked canny in tandem.
    Gouff wasn’t as good as we’ve come to expect from him this season, 🙂 I thought he looked a bit off the pace too.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM

I’m not against either of them while we are in this division and would like nothing better than to see John Halls vision of eleven Geordies in the team, I just don’t think either is good enough to be a regular starters in the PL.

• 10 kimbo // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:01 AM

I was at the game and Shelvey was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. We needed Mitro on the pitch in the second half to replace Perez and we would of scored more. Gouffran was injured for most of the second half and Handley is a donkey. Clarke was excellent but Dummit??????.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:01 AM

Very hard to ‘rotate’ the Gouff when we’ve lost every game he hasn’t started 😮

• 12 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Fingers crossed for Cal Roberts. Got high hopes for him this season but reading that he got crocked yesterday, left the pitch on a stretcher with his left leg in a splint. Hope it’s not that serious, get well soon young ‘un!!

• 13 hibbit // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:03 AM

we are not in the prem !
    when we get there who knows who Rafa will pick/buy but at the moment they are doing a decent job

• 14 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Good stat man!

• 15 sparky55 // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Re Perez I think he has great potential but Rafa hasn’t worked out quite at work yet.

It seems he hasn’t made any particular position his own yet. Gale is a better finisher and overall contributor, Diame for whatever reason has got the No 10 shirt, he’s not a winger and if we play 4-5-1 then there’s no position for him.

I guess he’s feeling lost and frustrated because he doesn’t see a way of demanding a regular place in the team as everyone else around him is playing well and the outlook is bleak.

Wake up call basically and his reaction from this point on will determine where he’s playing his football next year.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:08 AM

I don’t think Hanley is going to be a regular starter and looks like he will be brought on to shore up a tired defence, it’s a rare this game to have four top class CB’s. Is the error prone Mbemba the one to bring a cool head to a defence seeing a game out.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:09 AM

I know and that’s why I made a point of mentioning this division.

• 18 sparky55 // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM

worked out what yet!

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM

* it’s a rare thing

• 20 cyprus // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Interesting stat that about Gouf. If so, play him at all costs! Anyway, those couple goals and thundering shots have shown a great side to this player.

Sing, Ron

Not sure what to make of that Perez… Ryder said his game helped solidify his no.10 place. When I’ve seen him, last year and this, I’ve been disappointed. I declared him our biggest talent, maybe I jumped the gun there.

On confessions, I was Shelvey’s biggest critic last year and apparently he’s doing a QB, which suits him best, this year. Hats off man.

And, Rafa, you too. I said I’d give you 10 games, fair and square, like everyone else, past glories count for nowt on the pitch, now. You’re da man!

• 21 cyprus // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Forgot to mention: Rafa, give Mitro more chances man.

• 22 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:17 AM

On the crowd
    Only been in the leazes end a couple of times lately, and its not my preferred area I have to say. Maybe it’s being under a buoyant away section, I don’t know…. But it was flat as a fart I have to say. Singing on my own mostly, which is a bit of a reality check, hearing your own dulcet tones echoing around you when only fortified by a couple of pints 🙂
    Could hear the East corner making a bit of a noise at times. Hard to get tickets there when we’re doing we’ll though, unless you only want one.
    Not dissing the leazes end, each to their own, but take me back to the Gallowgate!
    Anyone sitting in there let me know how you think it sounded?

• 23 cyprus // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:17 AM

And Colback, I like that player. Does the ‘Batty’ dirty work, ‘protects’ players.

• 24 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Last week the club found out Matt Ritchie is on 4 yellow cards , they were under the impression it was 3 , he is therefore only one y/c away from a ban. had this to say about the ref:-
    “The card-happy official created five minutes of added time in a second half when neither trainer featured on the field. A succession of soft bookings culminated in a bemusing yellow card for Atsu, guilty only of entering into a 50/50 challenge for a loose ball.”

We had the same ref for Fulham away which makes one think that perhaps was why Ritchie wasn’t even on the bench

• 25 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Yeah the ref was inconsistent to say the least. I recall one of their players pulling someone back by the head / neck area off the ball,breaking forward. Only saw it out the corner of me eye so not sure who it was. The ref saw it, gave a free kick but no card. Yet it was a near scalping compared to soft cards he then gave against us.
    He also stopped the game twice to give us free kicks when we still had the ball and breaking clear. Play the advantage man! Just a championship ref at best I suppose.

• 26 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Lads ‘n’ lasses cheers for reading match reports as I say got no favourites just give a run down of theme and how I saw it

Just popping out to get the Sunday papers – see what they make of it!

Anyway here is my report again….
    Just got in

Comfortable win – mm maybe – but when we went 3-0 nil up lost the plot again and got sloppy with to many back-passes, hoofs and misplaced passes which a better team than Brentford would of capitalised on.

My Player markings

Darlow 7- had a decent game did nowt wrong and came and caught the ball – didn’t see what happened for the goal. Distribution good first half defence came short for roll- outs – second when TOON let Brentford come onto us hoofed it long
    Anita 6 – Another who had a decent game but his passing let him down
    Lascalles 7 – another good game until went off with a niggle.
    Clark 8 – Had a good game scored a good goal and some good blocks second half
    Dummett 7 – defended well got up the line well but too many times wants to turn inside and pass back.
    Colback 8 – the ginger Pirlo had a good game always available for a pass from Shelvey and today actually passed forward
    Goufran 8 – good game linked up the defence and midfield – covered every blade of grass tackle passed – excellent
    Shelvey 9 – MY MAN OF THE MATCH showed all his passing skills short long involved all game laid on two goals and involved for the other. Only thing lacking – seems to struggle in passing it long to his left – few times today Dummett had acres of space for the long ball but wanted to turn inside and pass to the right.
    Perez 7 – Did ok – tried all game but drifted in and out of the game to much.
    Missed two opportunities second half to make it four
    Gayle 8 – excellent today scored a good first goal and on the spot for Shelvey’s cut back – got to calm down when wound up.
    Atsu 6 – FRUSTRATING – BLOODY FRUSTRATING took up some great positions had plenty of the ball but seem not sure whether to cross shoot or pass thus the end product was poor.

Hanley 4 – Don’t now if tired but looked like a carthorse today
    Yedlin 5 – Did well when he came on
    Lazaar 5 – Defending looked weak but created himself a great chance from nothing

Ref 2 – And that’s for turning out– Don’t know how many bookings he gave but only one worthy and that’s for their player bouncing the ball.
    AND should of played advantage twice when we had a great opening but blew the whistle to bring the ball back for a free kick

Crowd 7 – great first half atmosphere but noise level dropped second half became anxious as we let Brentford come at us

Me – might of brought Mitrovich on for the last twenty minutes for Perez or Gayle as a outlet for the high hoofs upfield

Looking forward to the team selection for Tuesday at Barnsley

Footnote: without Diame and Ritchie and if Shelvey was missing yesterday we would of struggled big time! – That’s how big he was for there TOON yesterday!!!!

• 27 lochinvar // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Jib – So can we expect Ritchie to get himself another yellow before a cup game and then serve his one game ban for that match then he’s clear for more important League games ?

SingintheCorner – bad news that the Leazes is too quiet for you. Come back to the Gallowgate – even the East end of the East stand are joining in these days ?

Mitro and Murphy – is Rafa not playing them while the pitches are in good condition for playing on the ground with flowing passes. Maybe he’s saving them for heavier pitches when that’s harder to do and throwing the ball into the box for physically big strikers disrupts defences that way.

Everywhere you look Rafa seems to have a plan. Not long before he’s spotted in the Gallowgate to sing along

• 28 Ron Knee // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:36 AM

To read Lee Ryder, you’d think Perez had a good game. It’s difficult to judge if you weren’t there!

“Good work from Perez who holds his marker off before peeling down the right wing. But his cross is too long for Gayle. Unlucky. #nufc”

• 29 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:40 AM

That sounds like a plan.
    You must fire an e-mail off to Rafa !

• 30 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Perez also is supposed to have had a perfectly good goal ruled out – so he must have done summat right !

• 31 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:48 AM

I was at the game yesterday (Milburn/morgue) and almost agree with Charlie’s comments with the exception of the ref….he would get a zero out of 10.

Twice the ref didn’t allow an advantage and all our yellow cards (possibly with the exception of Atsu) were dubious.

But no surprise, really; every ref we’ve had has been gash. We continually need to up our game as we constantly play against 12 men.

Have to say Shelvey was awesome….the man didn’t even need to break a sweat with those Hollywood balls he made throughout the game.

Oh, and the “you’re just a shit Jack Colback/Jonjo Shelvey” chants were class! 🙂

• 32 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Jib, the Perez ‘goal’ was handball…I went light at the game but saw it on C5 last night. Decision was correct.

• 33 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Aye always some great Craic from the fans. Personally I would have that lad down as Colbacks love child if wor Jack had been a little older 🙂 – his lass would be looking back in the diary to see when he had an overnight in London around the turn of the century!

• 34 hibbit // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Perez goal
    it was a deflection from a Gouffran shoot that hit his hand other than that Perez had no part of the play
    if the goal had stood i think it would have been a Gouffran goal

• 35 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM

SITC: heh heh! 🙂

• 36 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Last time I watched Arsenal.
    Goals scored via the attackers hand were good.

• 37 giimps // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Last time we played Shitteh, Aguero was allowed to stand 2 yards offside to score, ……….im wondering if there have been some rule changes for champions league teams?

• 38 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Just over 2 hours before KO in the John Smith’s Stadium in Huddersfield !
    C’mon you Owls you can do it.
    Beat the Terriers and keep us second.

• 39 Tayls // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Does anyone know where i can find a replay of that outrageous dummy pass from shelvey that led to our disallowed goal? I cant see it on the sky highlights.

• 40 Tayls // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

It was either an accident or Henry/Ronaldinho level creativity, I would like to believe it was the latter.

• 41 toontaff2 // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In the Gallowgate we thought that goal was disallowed for offside! Got to say it was pretty quiet in our end second half, except for the corner- wish I’d got a seat there! Brilliant chants for the ginger Brentford player and their bald number 12 midfield sub! You’re just A shit Jack Colback/Jonjo Shelvey! Excellent!
    Maybe we can have a vote to see which ref this season has been worst! In the Wolves’ cup game we had Alan Barnes, apparently, according to some chants!
    Dummett made 1 error second half, a stray pass I think and the crowd seemed to get on his back. Maybe they needto see Hazaar Lazaar in to realise how much better a defender Dummett is. Hazaar looks scared of a tackle and unlikely to ever win one!

• 42 toontaff2 // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Darlow made one good save first half and he appears to have his own song too!

• 43 toontaff2 // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Karl Darlow, Oh! Always believe in your soul,
    you’ve got the power to know,
    you’re indestructible always believe in. Karl Darlow, Oh!

• 44 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM

I just love this vid

A must watch for toon fans esp those who haven’t been to SJP.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM

That’s the closest I’ve got to a Rafa bingo line up, if only I’d put the ginger in place of Hayden it would have been a great five points, I should have taken into account that Hayden had played for the U21’s 🙁

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM

We’re obviously paying Kruls wages while he’s injured at Ajax, I wonder what the idea is of letting him go their in the first place. My guess is that we needed a keeper asap, Krul is the only one who would fetch a fee that would cover Sels transfer, therefore Krul was the one to go, it’s either that or he wasn’t prepared to be in a very competetive squad haven’t never been used to one.

• 47 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Take it we played well then?

Another comfortable win and performance by all accounts I’ve read, one thing though I’ve seen plenty clamour for Mitro but relatively none for Mbemba I don’t get it? Mbemba great last season and barring 1 game great this season swap that and uve got Mitro yet all the calls are for him

• 48 Ron Knee // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM

David Wagner told BBC Radio Leeds:
    “We all have to be realistic and it is totally unrealistic that Huddersfield Town will be in the Premier League next season.

“It’s possible because it’s football and in football anything is possible but if you ask me if it is realistic then I say no.”

• 49 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM

WW @47
    Played decent yes, but there’s more to it than that..
    We aren’t yet all that adept at settling for what we have, and when we invite good (championship level) teams on to us it does look a bit shakier than would be comfortable. And we dont seem that capable of shifting back up the gears too easily. But we are getting there.
    On Mbemba.. Perhaps .at central defence it’s a different case than at the forward position. We have decent options at the back now,therefore no desperate clamour for him, but not so many options to Gayle at striker?

• 50 Average_Contents // Oct 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Blackley WILL not be happy with Huddersfield looking shaky at the back..

Pretty decent game so far for the neutral. End to end.

• 51 cyprus // Oct 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM

AC you watching that game on TV?

• 52 cyprus // Oct 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Got it thanks. Want to see the arch rivals

• 53 martoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 12:33 PM

I was at the game – on Perez. He always tries his tricks & flicks – when they work he looks class and when they don’t work he looks pants. Yesterday was about half and half some worked some didn’t so he did OK at times but often lost the ball.

previous post: Alan Shearer Reacts To Newcastle’s Third Successive Win