The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Stay Second As Huddersfield Lose At Home

2:31 pm, Sunday, October 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

More good news for Newcastle today as Huddersfield lost 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday in today’s early kick-off Championship game and it was a Fernando Forestieri penalty after 68 minutes that won the game for The Owls.

That keeps Newcastle in second place and we are now just one point behind leaders Norwich in the league table as Huddersfield’s 100% home record comes to an end.

We have to win against Barnsley on Tuesday night and who knows we could be top of the league on Tuesday night for the first time this season

5Sheffield Wednesday14124
6Bristol City14623

Tags: Championship · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:40 PM

We should get four stars on our badge!

• 2 Lindisfarne // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM

10 days, three matches and our immediate future is entirely dependent on Preston North End.

• 3 lesh // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Huddersfield bubble burst already?

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM

True to form. Missed the bus again. 🙂 Not to worry, that that important.
    Over the last few weeks we’ve slowly pulled the leaders back by a point every round of games. It’s now down to one. These next few games may see us pull clear if we keep this form going – and I see no reason why we can’t. Not much for comparisons myself because so much has changed since we were last down. Better teams and better quality managers this time. Just keep winning and let other sides falter. Even Norwich’s squad hasn’t got our depth. Get Judge in during January for when Shelvey needs a break and we’ll be fine. 🙂

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:49 PM

They lost a game, how has their bubble burst, another one queueing to jump off the Tyne bridge if we concede!

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Lesh, as that was a question, not a statement… Too early to tell yet mate imo. Said all along that they won’t maintain their current form from what I’ve seen of them, but they were slightly unlucky today I thought and probably deserved a draw. Don’t think they’ve got the strength in depth to maintain a full season at the top.

• 7 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Can I just say I’m LAPPING IT UP at the moment lads! Feel good factor is exactly right. Winning games,albeit in the second tier, is infectious. Great buzz in the town last night I can tell you. Gonna be harder n harder to get tickets as we go along. Could be back to the days of hanging round the main entrance or better still near the Strawberry, til ten to 3 trying to do a late ticket deal! 🙂

• 8 Toon Tang // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Get in Sheff Wed, anything can happen in these Yorkshire derbys eh

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Very happy to see the smoggies losing to a power house like Watford, those mackems and smog monsters are too thick to realise we’d more than likely have the last laugh.

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:09 PM

This Boro game is like a flashback to the 70’s with some of the tackles flying in. 🙂 Ref’s hold on the game is tenuous at best.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM

It’s great isn’t it, although the novelty of the Championship would wear off after a season mind. I honestly believe we’re heading for a time in our history to rival that of the fifties, KK and SBR, just hope that Ashley doesn’t feel the need to scupper it, hopefully the bad publicity he was getting by running us in to the ground has taught him a lesson, I don’t care how much money you have, when you’re constantly in the papers for being an ‘orrible so and so it must have an effect on you, hopefully he shares Rafa’s ambition for us.

• 12 martoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM

I think we are really well placed at the moment. I’m absolutely sure that our squad depth will see us through as Winter injuries and suspensions start to hit all the squads.

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Sing, my advice to anybody who can is to buy a ST whilst they’re still available. Even a half season ticket which will give buyer the option to renew next season. The foreseeable future is bright under Rafa and I can only see us going one way whilst he’s in charge. The result will be, as you point out, tickets becoming almost impossible to get if we’re in the upper section of the PL from next season onwards. Time to start thinking long term. 🙂

• 14 Moonraker15 // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM

I thought Wednesday thoroughly deserved that win they were far mor ambitious and with lick could’ve won by more. I was beginning to think Huddersfield were the Leicester city of last season if you know what I mean ie lucky, but they haven’t got enough although they may get in the playoffs. I think us and Norwich will open up a gap now!

• 15 Moonraker15 // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM

* luck

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM

We are excellently placed, people seem to forget that Norwich were here just two seasons ago with the core group of players and manager. Villa had a brand new team and manager and look at them, we are literally still finding our feet as a team and are in second place with a points worth of GD. I’m not saying another Wolves at home won’t happen but that was a shock for us and hopefully a one that we have learned from. Like I said earlier we have played seven of the top twelve and only five of the bottom half, we are very capable of putting together a six or seven game winning streak that would at least but distance between us and the play off places.

• 17 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:23 PM

If Steve Gibson had Ashley’s money, Boro would be in the top four. He’s got to be the most committed owner in the league imo.

• 18 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Yeah that’s always gonna be the one thing lurking in the shadows. Will he or won’t he…? But I’m busy storing up this pleasure for the inevitable ups and downs,and right now prefer to assume Mike can’t be that much into self harm to blast himself in the foot again.

• 19 Moonraker15 // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM

I hope and pray for a period of real success as you say. It’s nothing short of a disgrace that this club has won nothing for decades when you consider the size of the club, support etc. We now have a chance but have to match Rafa’s ambition otherwise he will go!

• 20 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Moonraker, aye, Huddersfield huffed and puffed and had more possession I think, but Wednesday always looked more dangerous in attack. When they played us they were awful, but we were worse that day. The fact that they thought they played well that day speaks volumes for their chances. Overall I thought a draw would have been a fair result, but the loss is better for us so wtf? 🙂 Our strength in depth and Rafa’s ability to make whatever change he sees fit without really damaging the quality of the team is what will see us through. All the others – maybe Norwich apart – are much of a muchness and will invariably take points off each other. I think the rest are playing for a place at Wembley if I’m honest.

• 21 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Funny you should say that! I’ve been weighing up the options / chances of getting one,especially if I could nab my old east corner area.. 🙂
    Last had a season ticket the season Shearer packed in playing. The drug is certainly gnawing away at me,has been for a while..

• 22 martoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Bobby – Aye we definitely have to aim for automatic promotion by being in the top 2. The playoffs are too much of a lottery and normally the team that was in 3rd place (probably us if we miss out on 1st or 2nd) doesn’t make it.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Like I am saying to everyone on and off here, there wasn’t many opposed to Ashley as I was and would still happily see the back of him but I am enjoying the moment and I’m not going to worry about what he may or may not do. I honestly can’t see what he has to gain by getting rid of Rafa and bringing in another McCardew, it is plain for everyone to see that his model failed and that the previous people he employed did not have a clue how to runh a football club under his guidance, he is probably the least topic of conversation these days and so he should be.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:43 PM

My ticket in the Strawberry corner is great, if I had actually had a choice of where to pick my seats I would have probably picked there.Shame I’ve only sat in them once 🙁

• 25 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:43 PM

C’mon Sing, you know it makes sense. 🙂 Like I say, if you don’t, you may well regret it in a couple of seasons. Being able to buy with direct debit makes life a lot easier as well. If we get anywhere near challenging for a CL place tickets will be like gold dust. It may sound a bit crazy now, CL places, but with Rafa’s nous and pulling power, you know that will be his target in coming seasons and he’s more than capable of pulling it off. Why take the gamble? 🙂

• 26 Uncertain Toon // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Just been having a skeg at midweek fixtures.
    1} Fulham have Norwich on Tuesday night and they haven’t won at home in the league since beating us on opening night! I’ll take a draw or maybe a home win as ‘a big team’ is in town and they raise their game.
    2) We tear Barnsley a new one and pump that GD up to high teens.
    3) What ever Huddersfield do on Wednesday night they can’t catch the toon on GD.
    Toon top of the league, SIMPLES, if I were a meerkat!

• 27 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM

I’d like to think we will be looking to line up some PL standard players for January and next summer.

I don’t know if Stoke have an option on Bony but he looked superb yesterday leading the line and orchestrating their attack. He would be a great signing for us.

• 28 Bobbybee // Oct 16, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Jail, as you know, I don’t give Ashley much thought either way – owners being a necessary evil imo – but if he’s prepared to let Rafa run things, then I’m happy for him to stay. A new owner might not see things that way and spoil what Rafa’s built. Not worth the gamble imo. He’s currently unheard of and nobody needs reminding of his past record, so I like it this way. The key is him keeping this going. So far so good, long may it carry on.

• 29 stephen1971 // Oct 16, 2016 at 4:30 PM

i think we,ll take over norwich soon, we,ve played the better placed teams so they,ve got a tough run coming up, we,ll be clear at the top by xmas i think

previous post: Shearer Has Coffee With Rafa – Manager’s Only Reasonably Happy