These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players Against Brentford

Jonjo Shelvey had another terrific game for Newcastle yesterday getting two assists and he essentially ran the game for Newcastle especially in the first half and he is easily our Man of the Match for that display.

Jonjo got 77% of the vote so he was by far our best player in yesterday’s 3-1 home win against Brentford, who are one of the better Championship sides this season, and have now dropped to 9th place in the league.

Newcastle are in second place just one point behind leaders Norwich – so we are now in an automatic promotion place and that’s where we want to stay for the rest of the season, but preferably at the top of the table.

jonjo-shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey – easily our Man of the Match

Jonjo’s performance even had Rafa Benitez talking about the display, but the challenge to Jonjo is to keep producing those performances game in and game out – and if he can do that we dare say that Rafa will start him in most of our games.

Anyway – a big well done to the 24 year-old.

Goalscorer Dwight Gayle is second in the voting with 12% ov the vote and he got another brace yesterday to make that 5 goals in his last two St. James’ Park appearances and he now has 9 goals in 10 Championship appearances this season.

It seems that wearing the iconic number 9 shirt is to Dwight’s liking and we wonder how many goals this lad scan score for us this season?

dwight-gayle-scoring-nwcatsle-seciodn-brentford-goal

Dwight Gayle scoring Newcastle’s second goal

His own goal (excuse the pun) was around 20 but he may have to raise that personal target fairly soon.

Anyway another very good goalscoring performance from the Newcastle number 9 and he certainly looks like a natural goalscorer who can snap up his chances.

ciaran-clark-after-scoring-brentford

Ciaran Clark after scoring Newcastle’s first goal

It’s probably not a surprise that the next player in the voting on 4% is our other goalscorer Ciaran Clark, who put away a good cross from Shelvey into the corner of the nat after just 11 minutes with a nice header.

In fact these three players have been three of our very best performers over the last few games – so it’s appropriate they are one, two and three in the voting for yesterday’s game.

And all three have been great buys for Newcastle this year.

It was definitely job done yesterday and now we have to do the same at Oakwell on Tuesday night against Barnsley.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Brentford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are always welcome.

• Goromagpie

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I have a feeling mitro will still be on the bench for Barnsley game.
    And I hope to see Murphy for Ipswich game ….And if he scores it would be a emotional moment for him
    Fingers crossed

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Goro…Do you think Gayle will start again on Tuesday?

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Really liked Shelvey when we signed him and thankfully he is now doing what I hoped he would, was Swansea best player imo

He’ll get back in the England squad when we get back in the prem

On the Barkley discussion no way he comes to us howay if he leaves it’ll be top end prem but I can’t see him leaving tbh

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Yo…I have always been and still remain a bit 50/50 on Shelvey. Clearly has something, it’s the consistency that’s bothered me. Looking good at present though.

The Barkley stuff is just fantasy. Doesn’t hurt 🙂

• mindshaft

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Welshie – swans have had a tough run of games and have lost to city , liverpool and arsenal , you should be okay when you play mackem scum / stoke / burnley etc think my three for the drop are mackems ( pretty much nailed on already), Burnley and one from Hull, Boro or Baggies

• sing in the corner

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Clark is turning out to be the surprise of the season so far for me. I didn’t know a great lot about him before we signed him…read a lot of poor reviews and kind of based my expectations on that.
    Bearing in mind we are in a lesser league, he’s still done champion so far!

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Ibiza
    Only player of Swansea that ever worried me was Shelvey. I don’t worry about his consistency under Rafa though tbh he’s being handled well so far

Might as well imagine signing Inesta mate

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Talking of bullies, I think we should deploy our very own Serbian bully on Tuesday evening alongside Gayle in order to out bully the Barnsley bullies who will be bullying our little goal scoring maestro!

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Yo..To be honest, when it comes to fantasy, I’d hope I could do better than what footballers Newcastle could sign.

Rafa seems to be handling things well overall. I don’t feel the need to second guess him or worry. It’s nice 🙂

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Uncertain
    It’ll end up Gayle up top alone and us with 10 men then bud

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM

on the Forestieri thing; remember reading from some Wednesday ITK that the transfer rumours were bullshit created/used by his agent in order to get better wages. He was striking as he was apparently one of the lowest paid players in the team and wanted better wages. Whether any better/worse than striking for a move is another matter.

• toontaff2

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I think I’ll get Dummett printed on one of my Wonga-free shirts! Start a Dummett fan club!
    Sick of the stick he gets – he misplaced 1 pass yesterday and the moaning started! Anita must have done it 10 times and Hazaar Lazaar looks poor – a bottler – certainly afraid of a tackle. Not good enough to replace Dummett.
    Dummett is limited going forward, but does cross well. However he is whole hearted and a good defender.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Ibiza
    There are other things to fantasise about? Since when?

Aye and with Shelvey he’s still a young lad, it’s nice to know he’s actually in good hands at NUFC

• beermonkey

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM

hibbit

cheers for the info

ibiza
    how goes it

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM

WWSBRD
    Unfortunately I have to concur, just a shame he can’t be reigned in and be taught how to use his strength and power without getting in the brown an smelly!
    It’s probably been done to death, but shearer would be a perfect tutor for him, just a pair of hours per week 1 on 1. Shearer’s apparently his hero so who better to get through to him.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Uncertain
    Aye I’ve got no confidence what so ever in Mitrovic personally I don’t see him being a big part of Newcastles future

Shearer won’t be back until Ashley leaves I imagine

• beermonkey

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM

wwsb

i think if rafa was to ask shearer would go and do some coaching

does any1 know if the striker coach rafa bought in when he arrived is still around ??

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:28 PM

beer
    I don’t see it mate there’s as much bad blood there as there is with Keegan

• beermonkey

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

wwsb

from snipets i have read rafa and shearer have spoken lots of times
    its rafa’s regime now well appears to be
    it could be a moot point as i dont think shearers that interested in coaching he has his golf and bbc work to occupy him

as a side note its about time the moved on and did what it needs to bring shearer and keegan back into the fold

• Jib

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Alan Russell the Superior Striker coach who was brought into the club in March to improve Mitro’s game on Barry Venison’s recommendation lasted 5 weeks.
    Then Rafa packed him back off to California to rejoin Baz at Orange County Blues FC

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM

beer
    Aye I’ve read that too and am sure Rafa would love to bring the likes of Shearer and wor King back into the Newcastle family but there’s a difference between a drink with a fellow pro and going back to work for Ashley after what he did to them

Once he sells up I think we will see them back

• Jib

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Shearer amd Keegan won nowt at NUFC.
    Rafa’s a winner – keep them away

• posada

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

It’s been mentioned that we are in a good position, having played most of the top teams already.
    At home to Sheff Wed on Boxing Day will be the half way point in the season.
    Between now and then Norwich will play Huddersfield and I think one of them has to play Brighton.
    With a bit of luck 2 of those 3 will start to feel the slog of the Championship.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Jib
    Aye ur right no clubs look to their legends to help out, be daft us doing it

• Jib

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:27 PM

WWSBRD
    For me Beardsley is a bigger legend than those two – and look at the shit you fire in his direction !

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Jib,
    That says it all about you and the man you call Mike Wallace Ashley. Beardsley spoke up for the guy who overseen one of the most depressing eras of our history while KK and Shearer were upset that he was determined to turn us in to Stoke or Swansea but only succeeded in getting us relegated twice. And how is Beardsley a bigger legend than those two anyway.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM

mindshaft

Comment 5, your’e probably right with the relegation contenders but it’s a little early to be totally consigning any of them to the drop.

A few wins and even Sundaland could hoist themselves back up the table.

We were telling ourselves at Xmas last year that we were fairly safe and look what happened there.

The surprise package to possibly go down for me is Leicester, the other teams I think have realised they are one (ish) trick ponies and know how to counter them

But Welshie I think the Swans will survive to play us next season in the EPL.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Jib
    …and what have I fired his way exactly?

Or are we already at that debating state that u struggle so much with?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I could see a point in Shearer being roped in to work with the strikers, if only to teach them to foul cleanly. 🙂

But bringing back Keegan, I don’t think a third coming would work out, sorry but I would vote no.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM

WW…,
    I can hear sand being dug out to put a head in. Jane’ll be on a bottle eleven.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Essex
    Who better than Keegan to be director of football? He sold people the dream of Newcastle like no one else

15 minutes in a room with him and we could sign anyone

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Jail
    See I hear the big book of insults being wheeled out haha

Bless him/her it’s a tough job googling all day u know warps the mind I’ve heard

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM

WWSBRD

That’s a past era, I think we have upgraded to Keegan version 2.

I’m not sure that Rafa would want someone else telling him what to do.

More poetry, Nobel prize here I come.

• hibbit

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM

its a full moon tonight !!!!!

• Clematis

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Toontaff2 @ 12:

Re Dummett

I would never slate one of our players at a game, but he IS our weakest link. I sit in the Milburn so see his play up close (well, for a half). Opposing team’s purposefully target our left side. Whilst I agree he is a good defender per se he is not comfortable on the ball and is continually caught out of position. What happened on Saturday was Clark moved out left in possession with Colback dropping into CB and Gouff moving infield (where Dummett occupied LW). Strange to see but the only way they could move forward from the left. Anita’s interplay with Atsu was canny decent and more balls were only lost cos of their eagerness to get on the ball/forward.

However, I love my team so if Dummett starts on Tuesday I’ll be hoping he has a stormer.

🙂

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Essex
    Nar I’d have Keegan back in a heartbeat the man built Newcastle back up once

As for Rafa I’ve little doubt he’d prefer a football man up there than a tea boy

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:13 PM

hibbit

Is it

Oh sh!t, I hope that Mitro has been locked in his cage. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Clematis

Are you saying that you rate Dummet as a CB, a lot of people have been advocating that.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM

WWBRSD

OK we agree to differ there, but it’s a moot point as I doubt if we”l see it happening.

Mind you it would be interesting if it did, I’d agree with that.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Essex
    If our next owner doesn’t bring Keegan in then he’s absolutely missing a trick to get fans completely onside

I don’t think Keegans love affair with us is over