The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players Against Brentford

6:24 pm, Sunday, October 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey had another terrific game for Newcastle yesterday getting two assists and he essentially ran the game for Newcastle especially in the first half and he is easily our Man of the Match for that display.

Jonjo got 77% of the vote so he was by far our best player in yesterday’s 3-1 home win against Brentford, who are one of the better Championship sides this season, and have now dropped to 9th place in the league.

Newcastle are in second place just one point behind leaders Norwich – so we are now in an automatic promotion place and that’s where we want to stay for the rest of the season, but preferably at the top of the table.

Jonjo Shelvey – easily our Man of the Match

Jonjo’s performance even had Rafa Benitez talking about the display, but the challenge to Jonjo is to keep producing those performances game in and game out – and if he can do that we dare say that Rafa will start him in most of our games.

Anyway – a big well done to the 24 year-old.

Goalscorer Dwight Gayle is second in the voting with 12% ov the vote and he got another brace yesterday to make that 5 goals in his last two St. James’ Park appearances and he now has 9 goals in 10 Championship appearances this season.

It seems that wearing the iconic number 9 shirt is to Dwight’s liking and we wonder how many goals this lad scan score for us this season?

Dwight Gayle scoring Newcastle’s second goal

His own goal (excuse the pun) was around 20 but he may have to raise that personal target fairly soon.

Anyway another very good goalscoring performance from the Newcastle number 9 and he certainly looks like a natural goalscorer who can snap up his chances.

Ciaran Clark after scoring Newcastle’s first goal

It’s probably not a surprise that the next player in the voting on 4% is our other goalscorer Ciaran Clark, who put away a good cross from Shelvey into the corner of the nat after just 11 minutes with a nice header.

In fact these three players have been three of our very best performers over the last few games – so it’s appropriate they are one, two and three in the voting for yesterday’s game.

And all three have been great buys for Newcastle this year.

It was definitely job done yesterday and now we have to do the same at Oakwell on Tuesday night against Barnsley.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Brentford?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are always welcome.

Tags: Championship · Ciaran Clark · Coaching · Dwight Gayle · Jonjo Shelvey · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Poll

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 Goromagpie // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I have a feeling mitro will still be on the bench for Barnsley game.
    And I hope to see Murphy for Ipswich game ….And if he scores it would be a emotional moment for him
    Fingers crossed

• 2 Ibizatoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Goro…Do you think Gayle will start again on Tuesday?

• 3 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Really liked Shelvey when we signed him and thankfully he is now doing what I hoped he would, was Swansea best player imo

He’ll get back in the England squad when we get back in the prem

On the Barkley discussion no way he comes to us howay if he leaves it’ll be top end prem but I can’t see him leaving tbh

• 4 Ibizatoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Yo…I have always been and still remain a bit 50/50 on Shelvey. Clearly has something, it’s the consistency that’s bothered me. Looking good at present though.

The Barkley stuff is just fantasy. Doesn’t hurt 🙂

• 5 mindshaft // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Welshie – swans have had a tough run of games and have lost to city , liverpool and arsenal , you should be okay when you play mackem scum / stoke / burnley etc think my three for the drop are mackems ( pretty much nailed on already), Burnley and one from Hull, Boro or Baggies

• 6 sing in the corner // Oct 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Clark is turning out to be the surprise of the season so far for me. I didn’t know a great lot about him before we signed him…read a lot of poor reviews and kind of based my expectations on that.
    Bearing in mind we are in a lesser league, he’s still done champion so far!

• 7 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Only player of Swansea that ever worried me was Shelvey. I don’t worry about his consistency under Rafa though tbh he’s being handled well so far

Might as well imagine signing Inesta mate

• 8 Uncertain Toon // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Talking of bullies, I think we should deploy our very own Serbian bully on Tuesday evening alongside Gayle in order to out bully the Barnsley bullies who will be bullying our little goal scoring maestro!

• 9 Ibizatoon // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Yo..To be honest, when it comes to fantasy, I’d hope I could do better than what footballers Newcastle could sign.

Rafa seems to be handling things well overall. I don’t feel the need to second guess him or worry. It’s nice 🙂

• 10 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM

It’ll end up Gayle up top alone and us with 10 men then bud

• 11 Chancel be a fine thing // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM

on the Forestieri thing; remember reading from some Wednesday ITK that the transfer rumours were bullshit created/used by his agent in order to get better wages. He was striking as he was apparently one of the lowest paid players in the team and wanted better wages. Whether any better/worse than striking for a move is another matter.

• 12 toontaff2 // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I think I’ll get Dummett printed on one of my Wonga-free shirts! Start a Dummett fan club!
    Sick of the stick he gets – he misplaced 1 pass yesterday and the moaning started! Anita must have done it 10 times and Hazaar Lazaar looks poor – a bottler – certainly afraid of a tackle. Not good enough to replace Dummett.
    Dummett is limited going forward, but does cross well. However he is whole hearted and a good defender.

• 13 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM

There are other things to fantasise about? Since when?

Aye and with Shelvey he’s still a young lad, it’s nice to know he’s actually in good hands at NUFC

• 14 beermonkey // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM

cheers for the info

how goes it

• 15 Uncertain Toon // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Unfortunately I have to concur, just a shame he can’t be reigned in and be taught how to use his strength and power without getting in the brown an smelly!
    It’s probably been done to death, but shearer would be a perfect tutor for him, just a pair of hours per week 1 on 1. Shearer’s apparently his hero so who better to get through to him.

• 16 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Aye I’ve got no confidence what so ever in Mitrovic personally I don’t see him being a big part of Newcastles future

Shearer won’t be back until Ashley leaves I imagine

• 17 beermonkey // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM

i think if rafa was to ask shearer would go and do some coaching

does any1 know if the striker coach rafa bought in when he arrived is still around ??

• 18 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I don’t see it mate there’s as much bad blood there as there is with Keegan

• 19 beermonkey // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

from snipets i have read rafa and shearer have spoken lots of times
    its rafa’s regime now well appears to be
    it could be a moot point as i dont think shearers that interested in coaching he has his golf and bbc work to occupy him

as a side note its about time the moved on and did what it needs to bring shearer and keegan back into the fold

• 20 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Alan Russell the Superior Striker coach who was brought into the club in March to improve Mitro’s game on Barry Venison’s recommendation lasted 5 weeks.
    Then Rafa packed him back off to California to rejoin Baz at Orange County Blues FC

• 21 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Aye I’ve read that too and am sure Rafa would love to bring the likes of Shearer and wor King back into the Newcastle family but there’s a difference between a drink with a fellow pro and going back to work for Ashley after what he did to them

Once he sells up I think we will see them back

• 22 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Shearer amd Keegan won nowt at NUFC.
    Rafa’s a winner – keep them away

• 23 posada // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

It’s been mentioned that we are in a good position, having played most of the top teams already.
    At home to Sheff Wed on Boxing Day will be the half way point in the season.
    Between now and then Norwich will play Huddersfield and I think one of them has to play Brighton.
    With a bit of luck 2 of those 3 will start to feel the slog of the Championship.

• 24 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Aye ur right no clubs look to their legends to help out, be daft us doing it

• 25 Jib // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:27 PM

For me Beardsley is a bigger legend than those two – and look at the shit you fire in his direction !

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:34 PM

That says it all about you and the man you call Mike Wallace Ashley. Beardsley spoke up for the guy who overseen one of the most depressing eras of our history while KK and Shearer were upset that he was determined to turn us in to Stoke or Swansea but only succeeded in getting us relegated twice. And how is Beardsley a bigger legend than those two anyway.

• 27 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Comment 5, your’e probably right with the relegation contenders but it’s a little early to be totally consigning any of them to the drop.

A few wins and even Sundaland could hoist themselves back up the table.

We were telling ourselves at Xmas last year that we were fairly safe and look what happened there.

The surprise package to possibly go down for me is Leicester, the other teams I think have realised they are one (ish) trick ponies and know how to counter them

But Welshie I think the Swans will survive to play us next season in the EPL.

• 28 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM

…and what have I fired his way exactly?

Or are we already at that debating state that u struggle so much with?

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I could see a point in Shearer being roped in to work with the strikers, if only to teach them to foul cleanly. 🙂

But bringing back Keegan, I don’t think a third coming would work out, sorry but I would vote no.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM

I can hear sand being dug out to put a head in. Jane’ll be on a bottle eleven.

• 31 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Who better than Keegan to be director of football? He sold people the dream of Newcastle like no one else

15 minutes in a room with him and we could sign anyone

• 32 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM

See I hear the big book of insults being wheeled out haha

Bless him/her it’s a tough job googling all day u know warps the mind I’ve heard

• 33 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM

That’s a past era, I think we have upgraded to Keegan version 2.

I’m not sure that Rafa would want someone else telling him what to do.

More poetry, Nobel prize here I come.

• 34 hibbit // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM

its a full moon tonight !!!!!

• 35 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Toontaff2 @ 12:

Re Dummett

I would never slate one of our players at a game, but he IS our weakest link. I sit in the Milburn so see his play up close (well, for a half). Opposing team’s purposefully target our left side. Whilst I agree he is a good defender per se he is not comfortable on the ball and is continually caught out of position. What happened on Saturday was Clark moved out left in possession with Colback dropping into CB and Gouff moving infield (where Dummett occupied LW). Strange to see but the only way they could move forward from the left. Anita’s interplay with Atsu was canny decent and more balls were only lost cos of their eagerness to get on the ball/forward.

However, I love my team so if Dummett starts on Tuesday I’ll be hoping he has a stormer.

• 36 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Nar I’d have Keegan back in a heartbeat the man built Newcastle back up once

As for Rafa I’ve little doubt he’d prefer a football man up there than a tea boy

• 37 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Is it

Oh sh!t, I hope that Mitro has been locked in his cage. 🙂

• 38 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Are you saying that you rate Dummet as a CB, a lot of people have been advocating that.

• 39 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM

OK we agree to differ there, but it’s a moot point as I doubt if we”l see it happening.

Mind you it would be interesting if it did, I’d agree with that.

• 40 WWSBRD // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM

If our next owner doesn’t bring Keegan in then he’s absolutely missing a trick to get fans completely onside

I don’t think Keegans love affair with us is over

• 41 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Hey, Essex…

…no, not at all. Pushing forward, Clark seems to occupy the LB slot and Dummett is at LW (where Gouf moves into midfield and Colback drops into defence). Then they revert to a typical back four.

Dunno if anyone else notices this but it just confirms Dummett’s lack of attributes required by Rafa.

• 42 Clematis // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:40 PM

But, we are winning and playing great football so in Rafa we trust!!

• 43 BandB // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Glad to see we are all back to just plain begging to differ again.
    That “come back when you’ve learned how not to come across the wrong way, son” stuff was a tough read, wasn’t it?

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Anyway with regard to Ed’s current thread, Dwight is messing up my forecast, but long may it continue.

It’s up to Gouffy to bang a few in as well. 🙂

• 45 beermonkey // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM

can gayle do it in the prem on a regular basis

• 46 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Jib has one thing going for him, that’s consistency.

He’s unaware of the concept of context.

That’s how he can keep sputtering out his “Keegan and Shearer did nowt” garbage and bend his knee to Beardsley who of course won…er… the…er oh something he did at Liverpool I think….anyhoooooo…..

Quite rightly pointed out, he’s the great and illogical defender of Mike, come what may. Jib. Your fat hero is doing OK at the moment, don’t put the mockers on him by over egging the pudding with your whitewash brush of history. Just let him do his own repair job quietly, in the background, without you blowing your trumpet in front of him.

• 47 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Certainly hope so, don’t see why he wouldn’t, he scored on a regular basis for CP when he was actually selected.

• 48 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:45 PM

In the context of the years of sh!te we’ve had then Ashley has deserved the opprobrium he’s had chucked at him.

But once we’ve won the EPL title and the CL league title we will see him in a different context and praise the great redeemer.

I’m only repeating what Mother Shipton allegedly said.

• 49 beermonkey // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM

i hope he does but i am not sure

• 50 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Mike Ashley is doing a quite passable impersonation of the perfect owner all of a sudden. I think the “Ashley model,” with the addition of a healthy dose of Rafa’s very excellent football pragmatism and know how could actually deliver in spades at our remarkable club. They are not such unlikely bedfellows, and really Newcastle Utd, Rafa Benitez, and Mike Ashley can combine to produce something quite formidable at the very highest level.

• 51 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Must win promotion though, otherwise fuhgedaboudit.

• 52 BandB // Oct 16, 2016 at 10:56 PM

I suppose you could argue in favour of Donald Trump’s cheerleaders, currently hailed as the world’s dimmest people, is that there is actually zero evidence to draw on of what sort of president Donald Trump would actually be.

• 53 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:02 PM

If you are still around it’s not only a full Moon but also a Hunters Moon and a Super Moon.

Well worth baying at if it is a clear night which it is here in Essex. WhooooooooTL

• 54 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Nice ambition Jimmy but I fear that the money that we miss out on during rebuilding our club that the others will be pulling away quite rapidly. For instance the new shirt deal for Chelsea, in comparison to our sponsorship deal ie wronga 8 million or whatever. We’ve got some catching up to do.

• 55 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Interesting first run on sentence from me there, let’s try again.
    While we are rebuilding the big 5 or 6 are getting bigger. By the time we get to where we are when rafa’s contract runs out we will still be rebuilding a premier league team.

• 56 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Thus, while we might have to draw of rafa for the time being, trying to compete in the market for proven world class players, money will eventually be the deciding factor in being able to be at the highest level consistently every year.

• 57 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:20 PM

We can’t match the senior clubs, but they can’t corner the market on top players either, they simply don’t have the room on their rosters. We need a deep balanced squad of emerging top talent, and then we can be a top 8 club, bloody some noses and jag a trophy, without resorting to financial doping. But yes, we must go back up this season, or we’ll find it very hard to make up the lost ground.

• 58 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:20 PM

The draw of rafa. Focksakeman.

• 59 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Ibiza ……. My post on bullying was addressed to Jail not Bobby as he was slated on here by Ruddy when he decided to buy season tickets for him and his barn when we appointed a decent manager.

• 60 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I suppose it counts on where you draw the line in the pool of the world’s best established and emerging talent. Where as the top 6 clubs in England might not be able to fit everest one in what about the top teams in Germany, Spain, Italy… Er France? World’s top 100 players, how many teams to accommodate them?

• 61 BandB // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:30 PM

I liked the picture you posted of a half-clad woman lying dead in a pool of blood and the reference to people lying in wait.

I bow to your grasp of the art of bullying.

Way out of my league.

• 62 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:37 PM

With the money in the epl, even run of the mill sides will attract better quality. Quality that might otherwise have plied its trade in Germany, Spain, Italy, France will be drawn by the riches on offer. We might not be able to compete with Arsenal et al off the pitch, but we can compete with the likes of Dortmund, Atletico, Roma, Porto etc and that can allow us to potentially compete with anyone over 90 minutes on the pitch if well managed.

• 63 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:37 PM

BandB……. I’m sorry if the caption offended you. It was addressed to Tsunki as a joke. If you feel the need to report me to the police again for hate crimes, please let me know so I can prepare my defence.

• 64 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Over 90 minutes or over 38 games Jim?

• 65 Vask // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM

The way I see it is that Raf has a contract for 3 years as it stands. His reputation is such that he is classed as a successful and in demand guy. Now he may continue his love affair with us or not. If you consider that to be a timeframe in which to achieve a cement top 8 premier league status fair enough. Like you said originally, ‘with a healthy dose of rafa pragmatism, what happens if we don’t get the correct dosage right? What happens if the price of the medicine exceeds the depths of Mike’s pockets?

• 66 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I’m thinking more consistent 6th to 8th place finishes in the league, a Europa League triumph, or FA Cup, an occasional CL season. To be honest, anything less and I can’t see Benitez hanging around, and probably wouldn’t be here at all if he didn’t think it was on.

• 67 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Yeah, it’s not hard to see Ashley baulking should the venture capital needed prove excessive, in which case Rafa moves on, as he has many times before. That of course can easily happen.

• 68 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Aye Jimmy I could settle for that. Even a europa cup final would be nice. I ‘d like to see is in Europe regularly. Be at the right end of the top league for a change. I hope it will happen, don’t really give a shit about who owns the club as long as they don’t take the piss.

• 69 BandB // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:01 AM

And if it does, Jim, we can always accept another 10-year promissory note.

• 70 BandB // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Best to cross that bridge when we come to it.

• 71 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:03 AM

My previous comment In response to 66 not 67.

Not even ready to live with the thought of a rafaless Newcastle at the minute.

• 72 BandB // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:09 AM

If Rafa left he’d be a “fat Spanish Waiter and the worst thing ever to happen to the club” within the week.
    And you all know it.

• 73 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM

To whom would rafa become this to bandb?
    Even if he had’ve left at the end of last season, he would be, to me, as the man who brought hope back to Newcastle United, no matter how brief his stay was.

• 74 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:16 AM

Another 10 year promissory note would surely be an impossible sell or even suggestion for this owner after his first ten years. Hard to see him riding out a bust up with Benitez though, without a realistic compromise with fans in the aftermath. Hard to see him throwing money at it either though too. But there are some harsh realities almost all fans need to accept as well, regarding the sheer size of the elite clubs nowadays. Money begets money, and those clubs are now relative juggernauts. Consistent top six would be very hard no matter what.

• 75 BandB // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:16 AM

What, you mean even longer than Shearer and Keegan were heroes, rather than no-marks and never-won-nowt traitors?

• 76 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM

Not sure what you’re driving at there Bandb. Keegan would be a hero of mine for his achievements in the 90S when I was growing up if I was into all the idolatry. Probly the same with Shearer. However I am not too blinkered to see the flaws in each man. Rafa has his place in my Newcastle memory in a similar ilk to Keegan and Shearer simply for the reason I explained in my other post.

• 77 Goromagpie // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Gayle might start coz he is in great form

previous post: Newcastle Player Simply Buzzing After Yesterday’s Win