Poll – Can Newcastle Make It Four Wins In A Row At Barnsley?

Newcastle have won their last three league games and we hope to make it four in a row at Oakwell tomorrow night against Barnsley.

If we can do that we will have 28 points from the first 13 games and be 4 points better off than we were seven years ago when Chris Hughton was the Newcastle manager when we were last down  in the Championship.

barnsley_fc-svg

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM

50/50 win-lose. That’s interesting.

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM

It was a minute ago.

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM

JFA,
    Forgot to respond, as I went out to do some work. You said he was deified because he brought a feel good factor to the club, at last. Can’t argue with that. I’m weary of ‘deification’, it’s dangerous I think. And the fans overdid it, maybe.

And, personally, being relegated left a nasty taste in my mouth. Still does. Some games (e.g. Sunderland, Norwich), we should have attacked, I felt.

Losing the first two brought the reality that this ain’t an easy league, there’s Champions’ League winners (old version) and ex- greats among us. It’s going to be long and hard to get out of this mess.

BUT: Rafa HAS brought the feel good factor; he has brought a winning mentality; his model is working; players seem to be on board. Hats off my man. In any case, I always liked his demeanor and approach. I felt for him when he was ‘attacked’ by fans, e.g. at Chelsea and Madrid. I felt much of it (the criticism) was undeserved.

ie. Both he and I are now in the same direction. Long may it last. He gets me promotion and some success, he can even have his statue ?

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:26 AM

I can’t be the only one who really doesn’t care about the comparisons to the last champ season can I?

Unless the fixtures were the same it means nothing

• Jib

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Guess which team Nobby Solano’s little lad
    supports

• hibbit

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM

why are the expats far more critical of Rafa then the local match going fans
    seems to me are they not picking up on the feel good factor around the the club and the city ??

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Ibiza I replied to you on the previous thread.

So I’m guessing young Arma won’t be playing tomorrow. Looking at barnsley’s recent results it seems they have a leaky defence. Let’s hope we can flow and crash like water through the gaps and into the goals.

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Jib
    Peru? It’s Peru, isn’t it?

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM

hibbit@6 – that’s true. More objective, less emotional would be the answer I think.

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM

TOF,
    Responded to your post a couple threads back mate.

Ibiza,
    sorry wrote peak instead of peek but you got my point. Aren’t footballers a bit (ok, a lot) narcissistic? I’m guessing they do read social media and if their name is trending, but I may be wrong. Any PL footballers reading, please help 🙂

True Geordie does his thing, he’s good for a laugh, still, I think. And he does respond on twitter, which is nice of him.

V,
    Generally, re Gayle – Mitro, I’d give Mitro much more time out or else I fear he’ll lose interest and I think we do have a player in him. His enthusiasm is important, the pic in which he picks up Rafa -was it with one hand? 😉 is precious.

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:38 AM

OK Cyprus but I don’t go back. Generally I don’t like what I see.

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM

cyprus
    Are u saying ur rather play Mitro than Gayle there?

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Did you see yesterday’s game?

The best Highlight: A Huddersfield player comes on with a piece of paper, directions from the coach. He gives it to one player, then another. A Wednesday player grabs it from him, pretends to be reading the opponents’ strategy, then gives it back to the Huddersfield player with a gigantic grin. Gold. Look it up.

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM

WW,
    Nope. A guy scoring like that, no way. Maybe Mitro instead of… say Perez, at least some halves. Get him involved.

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Ww
    What I think he is saying is that he would give mitro a longer run in the team when Gayle ‘s form drops to let him know that there is still a space for him to compete for.

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM

TOF,
    No mate I don’t generally respond that way. I don’t think my post would upset you. I’m generally agreeing with you, but also giving Rafa credit for getting me in second place.

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM

So does Gayle have a history in the number 10 spot, playing just off the main man? We haven’t really seen that but a few posters have raised it. I wouldn’t mind seeing how it could work out.

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM

cyprus
    Thank Christ for that I thought u were mad haha

Personally though I don’t care that Mitro is on the bench he can’t score and he’s more interested in defenders than the ball everytime I’ve seen him

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Vask
    Am not sure there is space for him here tbh but if Gayles form drops off he may get a chance (though Gayle may just play through it)

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Ww
    So is it that you think he is not good enough talent wise, or that his style doesn’t fit well with rafa’s tactics, or his general aggressive play and attitude are always going to be a liability? Or a combination of all 3?

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM

WW,
    I read you. Still, I think Mitro has a lot to offer. I think he can score, given a run. He’s our Charlie Austin – this one’s for you Ed 🙂

• Ron Knee

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM

cyprus@13

I watched the match. Really funny moment!

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Yo…It means nothing as you say, but neither do any stats really, when applied to a new game. Anything can happen. It’s just a rough marker for comparison.

Cyrpus…I’m sure many do. I was just answering whether I would 🙂

Vask…I don’t think I said the “main” point. Mainly as I did the first time around, then took it out 🙂 I just don’t see a scneario where a striker is going to be given say 5 games starting without scoring a goal. The scoring bit becomes somewhat irrelevant as I don’t expect anyone to get that sort of run, given the rotation system. Which was my badly made point.

Hibbit…That is an issue for us non locals. We’re not in the midst of it. The knock on effect of that is many then get called mackems for not being quite so overjoyed at the current state of play.

Then of course there are those, who tend to hover around the middle anyway, who don’t swing from one side of the scale to the other.

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Vask
    Combination mate. I think he could be a good player but I don’t think he will reach that level, his attitude and temperament won’t let him. I’d love him to prove me wrong but I’ve seen little from him in a town shirt to suggest he will

Impact sub he has a place but starting games? Am not so sure

Not just him though am pretty critical of Perez and his future but at least Rafa likes him for now

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM

cyprus
    Austin is a better player mate

Ibiza
    Yeah but there is no comparison, we just need to look at the table to see where we are. It’s a big bear I admit but honestly it makes my face unhappy wherever I see Hoots vs Rafa stuff

Fair play if people are into it but I will complain at it haha

• beermonkey

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM

i think mitro will start tomoz
    played well for his country took his goals well
    for me he looks alot leaner

if he keeps mitro or murphy on the bench with none or little game time and we lose gayle for a few weeks we will have to wait till mitro finds his scoring boots
    he has found them at the mo and its better to have them both in form

but it is a big call to drop an in form striker

what is nice is we have goals all over the pitch now that must make that call a little easier

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Yo…I think you may be taking this one a little far mate 🙂 In theory, there are no comparisons from season to season, but everyone and their mother does it. There are new teams, managers and players each and every time. We work with what we can.

Still, with Anita doing well, it’s nice to have something to add to the complaint list 🙂

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Ibiza
    The time changes though it’s been awhile since Hoots romped us back up and the opponents have changed, the tactics have changed the fixtures have changed

Might as well add Keegans season in with it aswell as a comparison piece how does our current team stack up against that one? How far back do we go? Honestly I just se it as utterly pointless

Anita haha well I would be honest but I can’t have too many conversations going on here haha

• Lindisfarne

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Cyprus LOL at the video clip.

Regarding rotating the strikers, IMO it is more a question of when will we see two up front?

• Vask

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Ibiza,
    I just meant from what I discerned from what I’ve read that that was the main point of the rotation system. Not trying to put words in your mouth mate.

Ww
    I hope mitro can channel his aggression into improved performance but whether he can or not remains to be seen. Still young and all that…

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Yo…I think you should definitely start a Keegan comparison if it makes you happier.

I do get your point, that it is pointless. Probably about as pointless as you and I debating just how pointless it is.

What was the point again?

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Vask…Then why did you have me pinned down trying to clamp my mouth open?

No worries mate.

• beermonkey

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM

lindisfarne

i dont think we will see 2 up top

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM

This “rotation” is interesting Lindisfarne. It seems to be an excuse to leave out the players he doesn’t like, more than keeping everybody fresh. I wonder when we’ll see Shelvey “rotated”? This is the same Shelvey he dropped because of his “Hollywood” passes, by the way. Bit different now with all the other creative midfielders gone, isn’t it?

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Vask
    He is still young mate so there’s hope but as to wanting him in the team I’d rather see Murphy at this point

Ibiza
    Haha sounds like a heap of fun I admit but Itd limit my time from talking football so I will leave it too others I think

• WWSBRD

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM

ToF
    Not sure Rafa needs an excuse to leave out players he doesn’t like

• Ron Knee

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM

“Newcastle United’s attendance against Brentford yesterday was the SIXTH highest across Europe on Saturday.”

• Jib

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM

It looks like Darlow has deposed Sels , which is rather ironic because the goal conceded v Brentford (from a corner) had a lot of similarities to the goal conceded by Sels which he took so much flak for.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM

TOF…I don’t think it was just a case of he was dropped for his Hollywood passes, more that he was not pulling them off and wasn’t offering much else. Since being dropped, his game has improved and we’re seeing better from him. Don’t you think?

Jib…I missed a fair few of the early season games due to work and stream availability. What I saw of Sels really didn’t fill me with confidence and more importantly, it didn’t seem to fill the defense with much either.

I’m sure he’s a good keeper and will get his chance again. Darlow certainly hasn’t let himself down though, from what I’ve seen. Nice problem to have.