The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Lots Of Good News From Rafa’s Press Conference

4:10 pm, Monday, October 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

Rafa Benitez has given his press conference today for the match against Barnsley tomorrow night and most of it was good news.

Good news that Rafa thinks the lads are playing well and good news on the injury front with Jamaal Lascelles, Matt Ritchie and Daryl Murphy all fit again.

Rafa even had a word to say about Rob Elliot’s return to full time training and that he is making good progress and he should be ready in two or three weeks time.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez at press conference

Jonjo Shelvey came in for some praise too because of his attitude, which has always been a bit of a problem for the 24 year-old in the past.

But hopefully he is getting past that on his way (hopefully) to being coached by Rafa into becoming a great player for Newcastle United in the future.

Nobody has ever doubted Jonjo’s natural ability which is simply immense as he showed on Saturday.

These are the expanded comments for Rafa’s press conference today:

“It’s a feeling that we have confidence in the things we are doing at the moment.”

“I have told the players this is a very dangerous game. It is a team that plays with high tempo.”

“We can’t go there over-confident believing we will win because the other teams are scoring goals, not conceding too many.”

“But they are dangerous because they are scoring goals.”

“Every player in every team has to realise that if they don’t play, the must keep working hard to change the manager’s mind. Karl was training well, Matz (Sels) is training well now.”

“The competition is good for the team. They are professional, but if they have to be ready to do well.”

“I can understand any player not playing will be disappointed, but they have to respect the team-mates. They have to be sure they keep working hard and be ready when they are needed.”

“A lot of teams have put a midfielder close to Shelvey, but for me he is doing well. “I am pleased with the attitude, the way he is working with the attitude.”

“If we are just depending on Jonjo then we are in trouble, though. The rest of the team has to do well, if he is not playing well then the other players have to do well and manage the game without him.”

“Daryl Murphy has completed a full training session. Rob Elliot has trained with the keepers, Jamaal Lascelles and Matt Ritchie are both fine.”

“You never know, but Rob is doing well. In two or three weeks he will be fine. He is doing well. I watched him a few days ago and he is fine.”

“Good progress.”

Wins are what are going to get us promoted this season, so let’s hope we can win this game against The Tykes tomorrow night at Oakwell.

Then we will face Ipswich Town on Saturday at home and we could even make it five wins in a row by then.

Here’s hoping – with our fingers crossed.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Injuries · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM

And the train has left the station just as I posted. 🙂

• 2 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Ed…Surely it’s lots of “fine” news? 🙂

• 3 Mag52 // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:15 PM

HWTL.

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM

As I already said Jonjo is the Duracell bunny, good luck to any one trying to keep up as they man mark him.

• 5 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Bill, ditto 🙂 It’s becoming a habit.

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Bill, amazing the difference Duracell make innit? 🙂

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Bobby
    Ah but now you are an official computer geek with your copy and pasting and a brand new Android. 🙂

• 8 NUFCPaul // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Competition for places and success on the pitch is hopefully forcing players to recover that little bit faster than they previously did. When the team was doing badly it seemed that one or two players hid away in the recovery room and knew that when they came back they’d be put right back into the team. That’s no longer the case and we’re all the better for it. Long may it continue 🙂

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Bill, just to prove it lmao. 66Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Hibbett, not sure it was that high, but you’re right in that a lot weren’t prepared to give him a chance before passing judgement on him. How wrong they were. The difference though is that we’d seen Sissoko for a number of seasons and were in a great place to judge his ability. With Clark it was just people believing what bitter Villa fans had to say. ?

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Got to shoot for now. Later chaps

• 11 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Paul

What you’ve could be a reason but it’s probably more to do with the updating of the training facilities and the mindset of the management as Rafa imposed his beliefs into the system.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Essex / Paul…It would have been interesting to see the difference to injuries without the training ground improvements. I do feel that a lot of the previous issues were psychological, as Paul alludes to.

There is desire and intent now, which is infectious. People want to be part of it.

Not saying that I’m not happy we have upgraded the facilities mind. Just that it’d be interesting to gauge how much of it was what.

• 13 jackball // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Injuries happen to all sports teams in all leagues. Coaching techniques and training grounds do play a role, but so does luck. Hopefully our good fortune is more of the former than the latter and it will continue throughout the season.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM

jackball…I don’t believe there is an exact science to it, but as you say, there is an element of luck to it. With that in mind, you’d say we have been extremely unlucky the past few seasons.

However, I also believe in making your own luck, which is what I think we’re benefiting from at the minute.

I feel a comment about synergy is on the horizon.

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Ibiza

Is that a quote from Mr Ashley. 🙂 (2nd part of your comment)

But not serendipity!! (last sentence in your comment)

• 16 jackball // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM

I agree with everything you said and the use of the word luck is too amorphous I just use it to define those situations that are undefinable. I have seen teams that have had a good string of healthy squads, only to be followed by a string of utter destruction. I do strongly believe that proper attitude and training techniques do influence for the positive, but I also believe that today’s science could be tomorrows problem.

• 17 toontaff2 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM

My mate’s grandson is going to the 9 bar to watch the stream from Barnsley free.
    He reckons Cric Sports.
    I have found FirstRowSports great, watched Wales v Georgia, Huddersfield v Sheff Wed and Toon away v Rotherham, on advice of Firebug666. That lad has the golden touch!

• 18 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Essex…Ha, didn’t put that connection together prior to my post 🙂

Honestly, I do find it hard to credit him with this current making of luck, but he hasn’t prevented it for a change.

I’d say serendipity is closer to Ashleys involvement, rather than synergy.

Jack…Seems we’re in agreement. Sometimes, despite everyones best efforts, sh*t happens that you can’t control. Fingers crossed we avoid that situation.

• 19 toontaff2 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM

On that note, Rafa’s Barnsley Bingo:

Darlow, OH! Always believe in………
    Anita Lascalles Clark Dummett
    Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Gouffy
    Diame
    Gayle
    Subs: Sels, Mbemba, , Yedlin, Hazaar woof,woof, Atsu Colback Mitro

• 20 jackball // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Heck, I am way too superstitious. Fingers are crossed and all wood in view is knocked on.

Also praying that the game will be on somewhere I can watch

• 21 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Ya Nah, imo I couldn’t care less about what happened last season re injuries etc. We are entering a new era under Rafa, he has made lots of positive changes, has the fans back onside and dare I say united? Well most anyway, The team is coming together and doing well and they don’t seem to be living on ego’s and false camaraderie.

I have said in the past that you need to look backwards to go forwards, re fixing mistakes etc that the club never got right anyway.

Now we don’t need to look backwards, (unless to gloat over some of our recent results), Rafa has everyone focused on the future, and suddenly we look like we could go places.

So promotion and maybe even a cup are no longer just pipe dreams, they are something we now have the ability to achieve.

HWTL

0-4 to the Toon tomorra!

• 22 toontaff2 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM

I thought he was going to tell us Rafa’s line-up!

• 23 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Jack…Keep on knocking then 🙂

No doubt links will be posted on here tomorrow, if they’re available. Seeing as it’s being broadcast at SJP, there must be a stream somewhere to be picked up.

I used to use a site called footballstreaming.info which gave all available links for matches that day, but the site got taken down.

If all else fails, just search Google using the teams and “live stream”.

• 24 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Ibiza

The game ain’t televised marra, must be Newcastle’s own TV. Best we can hope for is a radio link and a periscope stream.

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Not much use to a lot on here but I was told that the match is being streamed back to St James’ – NO 9 bar

• 26 Munster Mag // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM

rafa bingo;

darlow
    anita clark lascelles dummett
    colback shelvey
    Ritchie diame gouffran
    gayle

we need to find a taller, faster striker as Rafa doesn’t seem to have any faith in Mitro. And Shelvey will surely be wrecked soon?

• 27 Legolas // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Here goes, my choice for the Rafa bingo. I got 10 out of 11 on Saturday. I am due an 11 out of 11. lol.

Confirmed Rafa Bingo

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett

Ritchie Colback Shelvey Gouffran

Perez

Gayle

• 28 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Firebug…Surely if it’s an away game, there has to be a stream feed to get it back to SJP? I’d imagine therefore than a link can be hijacked, but whether it will or not remains to be seen.

Not that I’m an expert 🙂

• 29 jackball // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Watching on periscope and the unsynched radio broadcast, really makes you appreciate the professional broadcast no matter how much we hate some of the commentary and the camera looking at the wrong place at the wrong time

• 30 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Ibiza

Doubtful a stream will turn up, but you never know, I’ll keep my eye on you tube.

• 31 hibbit // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM

is Lascelles down with a bug or not ?

• 32 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Firebug…If there is one, we have motivated fans who’ll find it.

Hibbit…I believe Rafa said he was fine today.

• 33 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM

hibbit

Rafa said he was OK mate so I recon he will play.

• 34 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Ibiza

Aye there’s me for one, I spend a couple of hours before each match looking for possible streams mate. Surprisingly it’s not as frustrating as our football used to be. 😀

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Hibbit

According to Rafa, no.

Did you see the moon last night?

• 36 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hibbit…

“We had Lascelles as a knock.” “We had to take him off because he felt weak but nothing else.”

“Before the game we had Mbemba and Ritchie, who had a problem with the virus.”

“Ritchie was pushing me all the time – he wanted to play but we had a conversation with the doctor, and he said he couldn’t play.”

“But Ritchie was pushing me to play, which is a good sign.”

Not overly conclusive, but I’d say he didn’t ever have a virus, but a knock and is ok to play tomorrow.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Firebug…So you’ve been looking for frustration replacements since we started playing better?

You sick puppy.

• 38 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Ibiza

PMSL!

You’re a very naughty boy, correct but naughty… 😀

• 39 Ibizatoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Firebug…Takes one to know one, as they say.

• 40 hibbit // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

i did mate
    i live in open country and just after midnight it was like daylight nature is a wonderful thing helps to puts things into perspective makes you realise how small a dot we are in the scheme of things

• 41 Lindisfarne // Oct 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM

What were Hull wearing on Saturday?!!

• 42 Average_Contents // Oct 17, 2016 at 6:28 PM

JFA

My confirmed Rafa bingo lineup.

————-Darlow———-

–Yedlin–Clark–Lascelles–Dummett–

——-Hayden——-Shelvey——–

—-Ritchie—Perez—–Goofy——

————–Gayle—————-

• 43 hibbit // Oct 17, 2016 at 6:42 PM

JFA

My confirmed Rafa bingo lineup.

————-Darlow———-

–Anita…….Clark…..Lascelles…..Dummett–

——-Hayden……………Shelvey——–

—-Ritchie………Gayle……….Goofy—
    …………………..murphy………………….

• 44 Toonces // Oct 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Were NUFC to broadcast the stream through their own NUFCTV website they would likely grow the number of subscribers considerably. As of now, i think they don’t have any current content worth paying for. They could still host watch parties at Nine Bar or even in the stadium on their scoreboard tv. Maybe request a donation to a local charity for admission. At any rate, I think they are missing out on an opportunity this season to increase the ability of supporters home, away and abroad to support the Toon. Might win a few new overseas fans as well.

In terms of particulars with SKY or whomever, if Sky is broadcasting the game first, then NUFC don’t set up their own competing broadcast. But if it is not being shown then let’s see the game on NUFC TV.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Toonces,
    When I lived in Australia, although I only made it home for one or two games a year, I still paid my membership and subscribed to the nufc.co.uk just to pledge my support. Mike Ashley’s shenanigans put paid to all that.

• 46 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM

I think the title NUFC tv has confused a lot of folk.

NUFC tv shows loads of VOD (video on demand) and can only show that.

It does not have a BROADCAST license as defined under the Broadcasting Act 1996.
    If they tried to show a live game they’d have Aunty Beeb , BT and Sky all over their case.

• 47 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Hope tonight’s match going to be a cracker, hate it when they make to much hype on matches then they turn out to be pants.

Hoping for a 4-3 thriller, i bet I’ve jinxed myself now.

Ha ha ha