The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Thinks The Team Will Keep Improving

12:18 am, Monday, October 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

23 year-old Ayoze Perez made his first start for Newcastle in about a month in Newcastle’s good 3-1 win at home to a good Brentford side on Saturday, and the Spaniard gave a good account of himself.

Newcastle scored two goals in the first 16 minutes of the game and that helped to steady the nerves a little and we went on to get a fairly convincing home win.

But Brentford did will to come back from 3-0 down after 49 minutes, to get one goal back and play quite well in the second half.

ayoze-perez-romaine_swayers_of_brentford-_of_newcastle_unit_351678

Ayoze Perez in action on Saturday

This is what Ayoze has said in the local press:

“I think we will continue to improve,” “We are getting better all the time, and the results are there to prove that.”

“We are growing as a team, and the performances are getting better, although there are still things that we need to be improving.”

“The most important thing is to keep on playing like we are and getting as many points as we can.”

“Week by week, we are feeling more comfortable on the pitch.” “We are getting to know each other better, and that is the way to improve performances and get even better.”

“This was an important game for us to make sure we didn’t lose any momentum after the international break. We won it, but now we have another game on Tuesday night at Barnsley.”

“The manager is always demanding things from us, even when we are winning and playing well, but that is a good thing for the team.”

“If you want to improve as a player and a team, then you need a manager who is driving you on.”

“He always wants the best for me, and is always trying to tell me things to improve. I always want to improve so it is a good thing for me.”

“It was quite hard for me after a few games when I was not getting too many minutes.” “I was determined to get back into the team, and I was happy when that happened.”

“As soon as you get the chance when you are not playing, you have to take it. Hopefully, I have done that.”

“I like playing in Saturday’s position, and I think it is the best position for me. I like playing between a No 10 and a No 9 – that kind of position is the best for my game.”

“That is where I feel most comfortable, and I was lucky enough to be in that position. We won, and everything is good.”

“I think we are getting used to playing with each other now, and that is definitely helping.”

“When we make a movement now, we know where our team-mates are. That is really good. We are still improving though, and there is still a long way to go.”

Ayoze has scored 3 goals in all competitors with two of those coming within three minutes of each other in the EFL cup tie against Cheltenham Town on 23rd August.

Perez’ one Championship goal came in the 6-0 rout of QPR at Loftus Road on 13th September.

Next up are Barnsley at Oakwell on Tuesday night and Ayoze could even keep his place for that game, but it’s always hard to know which team Rafa will start in any game.

Maybe Mo Diame will return for Tuesday night’s game?

The road game at Oakwell is followed by a home game against Ipswich Town on Saturday afternoon.

If we can play to the standard we showed on Saturday, then we could get another two wins and be really well positioned in the league by next Saturday night, but the key to doing well is to take it one game at a time.

At the moment we are second top and in an automatic promotion place.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle192140
2Brighton191739
3Reading19234
4Birmingham19231
5Sheffield Wednesday19131
6Norwich19430

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Keep working hard Ayoze, get us some goals and chip in with a direct assist to keep those statisticians off your back.

• 2 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:29 AM

BandB……….. Misandristic comments and inciting hatred with hypothetical theories have no place on a blog designed for like minded fans. I’m afraid I have no option but to report your inflammatory behaviour to the relevant authorities.

• 3 Vask // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:35 AM

I’ve noticed that the love in for Perez has cooled a bit of late. I haven’t see much of him this season but read that what pace had was gone. Do we reckon this could be down to lack of form or game time or a mark of complacency from him? I’m not sure i’m informed enough to judge at this point.

• 4 BandB // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Like-minded fans betty?
    I presume you mean the five-man chat room of the previous week?

• 5 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:46 AM

However many were on last week I’m not sure, but I would suggest the reason many stayed away was due to them being uncomfortable with the prospect of being accused of sexism and misogyny on a predominantly male football blog. Also to have the threat of being reported to the police for hate crimes hanging over them if they step out of line will have discouraged large droves to steer clear.

• 6 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:48 AM

Encouraged not discouraged.

• 7 Uncertain Toon // Oct 17, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Great blog this like, however lots of folk in my ‘thrush’ category.
    You know who yee are!

• 8 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM

BandB…….. I noticed you brought up Donald Trump earlier. I’m sure there are plenty of Trump hating forums where you could air your frustrations and practice your misandry.

I can’t for the life of me see the relevance of Donald Trump on a Newcastle United Football Blog and why someone would need to try and make the link.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Betty, just caught this before logging off. Leave it mate. They did themselves so much damage the other night there’s no need. Best bet, ignore them. They come on to argue and everybody knows that now. Give them no reason to argue with you. Confuse them lmao. Not hard really. 🙂 Plenty people to talk football with mate. New day tomorrow, start as you mean to go on. Just an idea of course, you will do as you wish and rightly so. 🙂
    Catch you tomorrow matey. 🙂

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:15 AM

BandB, am I allowed to say Fat Spanish Waiter now because you said it just before?

• 11 NUFCPaul // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:26 AM

From the comments below it sounds like I’ve missed some real fun and games in here recently. Baffles me how a bunch of people who all claim to love the club can argue so much amongst themselves. Isn’t there a Mackem blog available to vent your frustrations on? And all of this is happening when the team is doing so well lately.

Anyway, it seems that Perez’s head might have dropped a bit after we got relegated. I seem to recall the likes of Barca were sniffing around when we signed him and he’s probably been thinking ‘what if’ now that we’re in the Championship. Hopefully he’ll roll his sleeves up and graft a bit more and get us (and himself) back in the limelight where we belong.

• 12 cyprus // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:15 AM

So this is his position. 9,5.

I kind of agree. Ok, kick on my man.

• 13 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:25 AM

Perez had his best game, arguably for a couple of years, at QPR playing up front with Mitrovic. I seem to recall the score was 6-0. And since then he and Mitrovic have been marginalised. Perez, Mitrovic and M’Bemba should be sold in January to clubs with managers who will be more likely realise their potential and don’t play childish ego-driven games as Benitez loves to do.

• 14 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM

Perez could easily go on a run of games now, aided by Diame’s poor form. I think he’s better behind Mitro than Gayle, but he can hardly rotate Gayle when he ‘s playing so well, and Clarke is also playing well and has the shirt. No reason to think ego has been keeping these three good young players out, but rather the form of those in the shirt, and tactics.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM

Jimmy his “mind games” are well documented everywhere he’s been. Of course he came a “real” cropper at his last gig, when he tried it on the galacticos in Madrid and was run out of town with an everlasting reputation as a buffoon and a laughing-stock in the dressing room.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 6:11 AM

ToF,
    Just asking like, you clearly don’t like Rafa Benitez. Who would you rather have in his place?

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Well the weather is good, flight is on time so Barnsley here I come. Going by the 11k there on a sunny Saturday afternoon against Fulham we are literally going to outnumber the home support. Can’t wait.

• 18 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM

JfA
    “Perez has been marginalised. Perez, should be sold in January to clubs with managers who will be more likely realise their potential and don’t play childish ego-driven games as Benitez loves to do.”

Perez played for the entire game against Brentford !

MBemba and Mitrovic played for their respective countries last week.

Chancel had a gruelling journey back from Africa and returned with a slight ankle niggle.

Mitro spent time with his family in Belgrade and came back late.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Jib,
    And why is that relevant to me, are you still drunk?

• 20 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Sorry JfA I thought you would pick it up that I was supporting you against the Frenchman’s stance on Rafa and the nonsense he spouts

• 21 mindshaft // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Ciaran Clarke has impressed me, when we signed him I thought it was a bit of a mistake given the gaffs he made at Villa.
    Clearly dropping down a level has helped but he’s looked a lot more assured playing in a confident team with a world class manager.
    He’s also chipped in with a couple of goals which is rare for a toon CB – 5M well spent

• 22 cyprus // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:52 AM

TOF,

If you back read my posts, you’ll see that I too was critical of the ‘person deity’ Rafa got (Khrushchev condemned that mentality in..1956!), especially as he didn’t manage to save us with 30 potential points in his hands.

But, in truth, he has been doing very well. We are second, on a good path to promotion, we can’t ask for too much more. At this stage, he deserves credit. Hats off.

I think Rafa’ll need to improve Perez, or eventually sell, true. And Mitro needs playing time too. But Mitro’d probably understand that, as Gayle is scoring, he stays out. Gayle slackens, he’s in. (I hope)

• 23 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:56 AM

JfA
    You know my views on Keegan’s role in NUFC history.
    You should really not go OTT and start kicking and flinging when you hear them repeated.

All you do is give “the loonies looking for a fight ” an excuse to come back on the blog.

I said:-

“Shearer and Keegan won nowt at NUFC.
    Rafa’s a winner – keep them away”

BandB turned it into:-

“Shearer and Keegan were heroes, rather than no-marks and never-won-nowt traitors”

and Tsunki went even further:-

“Jib. Your fat hero is doing OK at the moment, don’t put the mockers on him by
    over egging the pudding with your whitewash brush of history. Just let him do his own repair job quietly,
    in the background, without you blowing your trumpet in front of him.”
    Then BandB brought Donald Trump into the argument – it would be funny if weren’t so pitiful.
    By the way I didn’t run off and bury my head in the sand – I’m in Spain – folk dine later here.

previous post: These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players Against Brentford