Newcastle Youngster Praised By Rafa Benitez – Video

Adam Armstrong is on loan until January at Barnsley, but of course he cannot play tomorrow night against Newcastle.

However, he will be able to meet up with the lads and manager Rafa Benitez too.

Adam is one of the brightest prospects we have had for a while and he’s also a local lad and he picked up the Championship Goal of the Month award last month on his debut against Preston, so he’s started quite well at the Tykes.

adam-armstrong-afterb-scoring-sensational-goal

Adam Armstrong after scoring sensational goal

Adam also seems to be loving it in Yorkshire as he had this to say last week:

“I’m loving it here at Barnsley.” “Coming in on loan and adapting to a new environment has been massive for my development.”

“All of the lads are great, we’ve had a strong start to the season and it’s a really positive place to be at the moment.”

Unless Adam scores maybe 15 goals for the Tykes before January it’s unlikely he will return to Newcastle in January because Rafa wants him to get first team playing time.

And with the four experienced strikers we have – Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez and Murphy – he wouldn’t get too much playing time.

But in the summer he will most likely be part of the first team squad and fight it out next season for a first team position – hopefully when we are back in the Premier League.

Adam has scored a couple of goals so far at Barnsley in seven appearances and today Rafa Benitez sent an upbeat message to the 19 year-old England Youth International:

“We were watching him and I am really pleased. He picked up goal of the month and it was a great goal.”

“Now hopefully he can continue scoring goals and doing well because he is a player we are monitoring every week.”

Here’s that goal Adam scored against Preston on September 10th on his debut.

Let’s hope we can get all 3 points at Oakwell tomorrow night, but it will not be easy and Barnsley will want to improve on their performance last Saturday when they lost 4-2 at home to Fulham.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Legolas

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM

That has just answered my question. I was wondering if Armstrong would be allowed to play. I thought not, but you never know.

• sing in the corner

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Yes I too hope Arma’ll manage to meet up with Rafa and the lads for a chat…about how they’re gonna set up and play, any little injuries / weaknesses we can exploit. 🙂

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM

A star in the making and one of our own. 🙂 For me, the one of our own is the bigger point. Strange how some posters are desperate for him to fail lmao. Talking about one of our own, anyone hear how Callum Roberts is? Got stretchered off for our U23’s with his leg in a splint.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Not looking much like 4-3 welshie mate. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Bobbybee,
    Nobody is desperate for him to fail,but I guess a lot of people would wish you stopped harping on about how good he is.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Why? Open blog? Get over it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Anyway, we know that’s not the only reason. Going on about how good one of our up and coming players is on a Newcastle blog eh? Serious crime. Lmao.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Bobbybee,
    I honestly don’t think any supporter of our club would want him to fail, we’d all like him to be the next Alan Shearer, why would you want to laugh your arse off thinking people would?

• welshgeordie9

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Bobby

Think I’ve jinxed this game mate, better not say anything about our match tomorrow.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Jail

It’s up to Bobby what he wants to say, it is a blog.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Yes welshie,
    It’s an NUFC blog and Bobby will say what he likes, I love your interesting posts,.

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Interesting to compare him to Tammy Abraham who is the same age. Abraham has been rattling them in, scoring 11 in 15 appearances for Bristol City, becoming their main man, Armstrong on the other hand has struggled for playing time, he’s only played 90 minutes twice for Barnsley.
    Abraham has broken into the U21’s, Armstrong is still with the 19’s or 20’s but does have a better international record on the whole than Abraham.
    Really wanted Armstrong to kick on after a cracking season last year, not doing it just yet but plenty of time left but if he can’t manage 90 mins for Barnsley then there doesn’t seem much point in him coming back to NUFC for the second half of the season.

• sing in the corner

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Bobby
    I’ve been watching out for news on Cal since the game. My only hope is that they would have xrayed quick therefore confirmed a leg fracture earlier than this. So possibly letting some swelling go down before declaring its soft tissue damage or a tweaked ligament , hopefully nowt worse than that.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Jail

You love my posts ah thanks pet, I love yours as well, although i would love them more if you didn’t moan about the same thing, unlike my comments of course.

• Jib

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Jail for Ashley whingeing about people harping on !
    Pot Kettle comes to mind.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Will someone just score a frigging goal, how much money are they all on.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Jail, you ain’t that thick mate, stop pretending. We both know what I’m on about – which I find hilarious. As for ‘going on about him’ feel free to see how many times I’ve mentioned him over the last month or two. Then compare that to how many times you’ve had a dig at people for daring to question Rafa. Then decide who exactly is going on about anything. It works both ways matey.

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Can’t see Callum Roberts ever making it, we tried loaning him out once before and had to recall him as Gateshead were only willing to play him in the reserve team.
    Our youth teams are a country mile behind the best in the country, the brightest stars in ours wouldn’t even get a sniff of getting into a lot of other academies. An overhaul is well overdue.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

That’s the last time I’m making a score prediction.

Ha ha ha

• sing in the corner

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Man U are negating Liverpool pretty well aren’t they?
    They look the more dangerous if anything. Scousers have been disappointing so far.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Sutty, Barnsley were the divisions top scorers when Arma arrived. Why would they drop their more experienced strikers who were doing really well, just to accommodate a young lad? He’s there to get experience and he’s doing well. Goal of the month ain’t too scruffy either. Arma’s captain of the England U20’s, so they rate him as well. Looking at Perez’s contribution thus far, I know who I’d rather have sniffing in the No10 spot. All down to opinions mate, nothing more.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Sing, it’s been a pretty tedious game imo. Nothing like I was hoping for.

Sutty, Roberts is still only 19 mate. Only the odd few great footballers blaze onto the scene early and nearly all of them burn out early. Owen and Rooney to name but two. Rideout at Everton was a classic example. At 15 he was a world beater, at 25 he was on the scrapheap. These two are maturing at the right pace, let them get on with it before writing them off before they’ve even started. I also don’t rate our academy much, but despite that they’ve come through it ok. Until his injury, Roberts was training with the first team squad. Why would that be?

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Our Academy is currently second behind Man City in the league. Boro have always had an excellent academy and we beat theirs the other day comfortably. Rafa’s changes already bearing fruit. Keep up.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Sing, dodgy manc ref or what? 🙂

• Tsunki

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

I’m sure Bobby won’t mind supplying the full list of all those who are willing the young Armstrong to fail, so we can also lmao at the absurdity of it.

It will go nicely with the list of the thousands of scared readers who never post.

I only turn up occasionally these days but every time I do Bobby is starting up another ruck while simultaneously protesting about others causing him to do it.

Once upon a time we only had to deal with WUMs like Jeff from Benwell, toonbotherer, Carl and the like. Happy days.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Ha ha, what a chance, blown! 🙂

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Tsunki, run along, nothing to see here. No ruck, just discussions, nothing more. Grow up eh?

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Bobby, as a chap that has obviously watched a lot of him, what do you think his eventual position will be? I can’t see him being a number 9 just because of his diminutive stature. If he’d been born 15/20 years earlier then he would have been great in a 442 in the classic little man role, but as we’ve found ourselves this season, modern managers like Benitez will not play two up top. For me that leaves no. 10. I think he could excel there but again as we have seen with Rafa he prefers a player like Diame there who adds a bit of defensive bite rather than it being an all out attacking position.
    I can see him ending up being stuck on the wing which I don’t think really makes the most of his talents.
    What do you think?

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Oooh, great save de gea

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Bobby, regarding academies and league position, you have to bear in mind how many of the decent players the good academies loan out. Chelsea are probably collectively the top goal scoring team in the EFL with the amount of goal scoring players they have loaned out to various teams.
    It does piss me off how some clubs Hoover up all the decent talent available in the UK and further afield. They should put a bloody cap on academy size!

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Sutty, as small as he is, he seldom gets knocked about. His low centre of gravity caters for that. See the goal above for example. Uses his strength against a far bigger man. For that reason he plays as the main striker usually. But he is adaptable and can sit behind the striker if required. Ideally he’d with a tall striker beside him, but that’s not Rafa’s way. Currently he could play either, especially if you have a tall No10. Gayle isn’t that much taller, so it wouldn’t a shock to see him lead the line. His pace and finishing power really are special. Overall, I’d go No9, but No10 he could handle.

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Has Mourinho stolen Pardews tactic book.
    Let them have the ball lads, we’ll sit with XI on the edge of the box. Just need one of you to score a solo worldly out of the blue in the 20% possession we do have. Crack on

• SUTTY1978

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM

I fort we woz a fret

• Tsunki

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Run along Bobby? Have you been promoted then? I think there’d be something to see if you’d just furnish that list of people willing Armstrong to fail you rabble rouser. Hurry up, money where your mouth is. Or just admit you were shouting about nothing as usual.

• Tsunki

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:29 PM

I was going to say how impressed I was by the invention and technique of that goal back on the day he did it, and then wondering how come he’s not been kept at the club seeing as we have hardly got a surfeit of scoring strikers atm. I know gayles doing well right now, but the other lads…..

• Tsunki

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM

“A star in the making and one of our own. For me, the one of our own is the bigger point. Strange how some posters are desperate for him to fail lmao.”

Come on Bobby be a good chap and explain how that wasn’t causing an argument at #3. I have another theory about the “missing thousands”. 🙂

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Sutty, one of my major bugbears mate. It riles me so much the way they just go around picking the best talent, then struggle to play them. One of the most productive academies has always been Crewe, so you don’t have to be big to be good. City are doing the same thing now. We’re were concentrating on local talent, which can’t hurt but is restricting our scope imo. Maybe that will change under Rafa. It’s at least slacked off because we’ve brought that kid over from Holland or Switzerland or wherever. 🙂 I just love it when one of our own breaks through, which is why Arma excites me.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Glad we’re in the championship because these premier league games are boring as fcuk lmao

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Tsunki, you’ve turned into a whopper lately. You know, I know, so wtf? You’re once again coming in looking for a ruck where there isn’t one. Been loads on here today, so what’s your problem? Why would I even consider doing anything you ask of me? Why? Who are ya? There’s been peace on here, broken only by you and your divvies cropping up looking for trouble. Nobody else is ffs. You really are making a right mug of yourself and it’s bordering on embarrassing. Come on, talk football and people respond. Come on giving it large and you just look pathetic. You choose.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM