The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Youngster Praised By Rafa Benitez – Video

7:43 pm, Monday, October 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 102 Comments

Adam Armstrong is on loan until January at Barnsley, but of course he cannot play tomorrow night against Newcastle.

However, he will be able to meet up with the lads and manager Rafa Benitez too.

Adam is one of the brightest prospects we have had for a while and he’s also a local lad and he picked up the Championship Goal of the Month award last month on his debut against Preston, so he’s started quite well at the Tykes.

adam-armstrong-afterb-scoring-sensational-goal

Adam Armstrong after scoring sensational goal

Adam also seems to be loving it in Yorkshire as he had this to say last week:

“I’m loving it here at Barnsley.” “Coming in on loan and adapting to a new environment has been massive for my development.”

“All of the lads are great, we’ve had a strong start to the season and it’s a really positive place to be at the moment.”

Unless Adam scores maybe 15 goals for the Tykes before January it’s unlikely he will return to Newcastle in January because Rafa wants him to get first team playing time.

And with the four experienced strikers we have – Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez and Murphy – he wouldn’t get too much playing time.

But in the summer he will most likely be part of the first team squad and fight it out next season for a first team position – hopefully when we are back in the Premier League.

Adam has scored a couple of goals so far at Barnsley in seven appearances and today Rafa Benitez sent an upbeat message to the 19 year-old England Youth International:

“We were watching him and I am really pleased. He picked up goal of the month and it was a great goal.”

“Now hopefully he can continue scoring goals and doing well because he is a player we are monitoring every week.”

Here’s that goal Adam scored against Preston on September 10th on his debut.

Let’s hope we can get all 3 points at Oakwell tomorrow night, but it will not be easy and Barnsley will want to improve on their performance last Saturday when they lost 4-2 at home to Fulham.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Poll · Video

102 responses so far ↓

• 1 Legolas // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM

That has just answered my question. I was wondering if Armstrong would be allowed to play. I thought not, but you never know.

• 2 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Yes I too hope Arma’ll manage to meet up with Rafa and the lads for a chat…about how they’re gonna set up and play, any little injuries / weaknesses we can exploit. 🙂

• 3 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM

A star in the making and one of our own. 🙂 For me, the one of our own is the bigger point. Strange how some posters are desperate for him to fail lmao. Talking about one of our own, anyone hear how Callum Roberts is? Got stretchered off for our U23’s with his leg in a splint.

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Not looking much like 4-3 welshie mate. 🙂

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Bobbybee,
    Nobody is desperate for him to fail,but I guess a lot of people would wish you stopped harping on about how good he is.

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Why? Open blog? Get over it.

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Anyway, we know that’s not the only reason. Going on about how good one of our up and coming players is on a Newcastle blog eh? Serious crime. Lmao.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Bobbybee,
    I honestly don’t think any supporter of our club would want him to fail, we’d all like him to be the next Alan Shearer, why would you want to laugh your arse off thinking people would?

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Bobby

Think I’ve jinxed this game mate, better not say anything about our match tomorrow.

Ha ha ha

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Jail

It’s up to Bobby what he wants to say, it is a blog.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Yes welshie,
    It’s an NUFC blog and Bobby will say what he likes, I love your interesting posts,.

• 12 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Interesting to compare him to Tammy Abraham who is the same age. Abraham has been rattling them in, scoring 11 in 15 appearances for Bristol City, becoming their main man, Armstrong on the other hand has struggled for playing time, he’s only played 90 minutes twice for Barnsley.
    Abraham has broken into the U21’s, Armstrong is still with the 19’s or 20’s but does have a better international record on the whole than Abraham.
    Really wanted Armstrong to kick on after a cracking season last year, not doing it just yet but plenty of time left but if he can’t manage 90 mins for Barnsley then there doesn’t seem much point in him coming back to NUFC for the second half of the season.

• 13 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Bobby
    I’ve been watching out for news on Cal since the game. My only hope is that they would have xrayed quick therefore confirmed a leg fracture earlier than this. So possibly letting some swelling go down before declaring its soft tissue damage or a tweaked ligament , hopefully nowt worse than that.

• 14 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Jail

You love my posts ah thanks pet, I love yours as well, although i would love them more if you didn’t moan about the same thing, unlike my comments of course.

• 15 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Jail for Ashley whingeing about people harping on !
    Pot Kettle comes to mind.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Will someone just score a frigging goal, how much money are they all on.

• 17 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Jail, you ain’t that thick mate, stop pretending. We both know what I’m on about – which I find hilarious. As for ‘going on about him’ feel free to see how many times I’ve mentioned him over the last month or two. Then compare that to how many times you’ve had a dig at people for daring to question Rafa. Then decide who exactly is going on about anything. It works both ways matey.

• 18 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Can’t see Callum Roberts ever making it, we tried loaning him out once before and had to recall him as Gateshead were only willing to play him in the reserve team.
    Our youth teams are a country mile behind the best in the country, the brightest stars in ours wouldn’t even get a sniff of getting into a lot of other academies. An overhaul is well overdue.

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

That’s the last time I’m making a score prediction.

Ha ha ha

• 20 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Man U are negating Liverpool pretty well aren’t they?
    They look the more dangerous if anything. Scousers have been disappointing so far.

• 21 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Sutty, Barnsley were the divisions top scorers when Arma arrived. Why would they drop their more experienced strikers who were doing really well, just to accommodate a young lad? He’s there to get experience and he’s doing well. Goal of the month ain’t too scruffy either. Arma’s captain of the England U20’s, so they rate him as well. Looking at Perez’s contribution thus far, I know who I’d rather have sniffing in the No10 spot. All down to opinions mate, nothing more.

• 22 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Sing, it’s been a pretty tedious game imo. Nothing like I was hoping for.

Sutty, Roberts is still only 19 mate. Only the odd few great footballers blaze onto the scene early and nearly all of them burn out early. Owen and Rooney to name but two. Rideout at Everton was a classic example. At 15 he was a world beater, at 25 he was on the scrapheap. These two are maturing at the right pace, let them get on with it before writing them off before they’ve even started. I also don’t rate our academy much, but despite that they’ve come through it ok. Until his injury, Roberts was training with the first team squad. Why would that be?

• 23 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Our Academy is currently second behind Man City in the league. Boro have always had an excellent academy and we beat theirs the other day comfortably. Rafa’s changes already bearing fruit. Keep up.

• 24 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Sing, dodgy manc ref or what? 🙂

• 25 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

I’m sure Bobby won’t mind supplying the full list of all those who are willing the young Armstrong to fail, so we can also lmao at the absurdity of it.

It will go nicely with the list of the thousands of scared readers who never post.

I only turn up occasionally these days but every time I do Bobby is starting up another ruck while simultaneously protesting about others causing him to do it.

Once upon a time we only had to deal with WUMs like Jeff from Benwell, toonbotherer, Carl and the like. Happy days.

• 26 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Ha ha, what a chance, blown! 🙂

• 27 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Tsunki, run along, nothing to see here. No ruck, just discussions, nothing more. Grow up eh?

• 28 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Bobby, as a chap that has obviously watched a lot of him, what do you think his eventual position will be? I can’t see him being a number 9 just because of his diminutive stature. If he’d been born 15/20 years earlier then he would have been great in a 442 in the classic little man role, but as we’ve found ourselves this season, modern managers like Benitez will not play two up top. For me that leaves no. 10. I think he could excel there but again as we have seen with Rafa he prefers a player like Diame there who adds a bit of defensive bite rather than it being an all out attacking position.
    I can see him ending up being stuck on the wing which I don’t think really makes the most of his talents.
    What do you think?

• 29 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Oooh, great save de gea

• 30 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Bobby, regarding academies and league position, you have to bear in mind how many of the decent players the good academies loan out. Chelsea are probably collectively the top goal scoring team in the EFL with the amount of goal scoring players they have loaned out to various teams.
    It does piss me off how some clubs Hoover up all the decent talent available in the UK and further afield. They should put a bloody cap on academy size!

• 31 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Sutty, as small as he is, he seldom gets knocked about. His low centre of gravity caters for that. See the goal above for example. Uses his strength against a far bigger man. For that reason he plays as the main striker usually. But he is adaptable and can sit behind the striker if required. Ideally he’d with a tall striker beside him, but that’s not Rafa’s way. Currently he could play either, especially if you have a tall No10. Gayle isn’t that much taller, so it wouldn’t a shock to see him lead the line. His pace and finishing power really are special. Overall, I’d go No9, but No10 he could handle.

• 32 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Has Mourinho stolen Pardews tactic book.
    Let them have the ball lads, we’ll sit with XI on the edge of the box. Just need one of you to score a solo worldly out of the blue in the 20% possession we do have. Crack on

• 33 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM

I fort we woz a fret

• 34 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Run along Bobby? Have you been promoted then? I think there’d be something to see if you’d just furnish that list of people willing Armstrong to fail you rabble rouser. Hurry up, money where your mouth is. Or just admit you were shouting about nothing as usual.

• 35 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:29 PM

I was going to say how impressed I was by the invention and technique of that goal back on the day he did it, and then wondering how come he’s not been kept at the club seeing as we have hardly got a surfeit of scoring strikers atm. I know gayles doing well right now, but the other lads…..

• 36 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM

“A star in the making and one of our own. For me, the one of our own is the bigger point. Strange how some posters are desperate for him to fail lmao.”

Come on Bobby be a good chap and explain how that wasn’t causing an argument at #3. I have another theory about the “missing thousands”. 🙂

• 37 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Sutty, one of my major bugbears mate. It riles me so much the way they just go around picking the best talent, then struggle to play them. One of the most productive academies has always been Crewe, so you don’t have to be big to be good. City are doing the same thing now. We’re were concentrating on local talent, which can’t hurt but is restricting our scope imo. Maybe that will change under Rafa. It’s at least slacked off because we’ve brought that kid over from Holland or Switzerland or wherever. 🙂 I just love it when one of our own breaks through, which is why Arma excites me.

• 38 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Glad we’re in the championship because these premier league games are boring as fcuk lmao

• 39 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Tsunki, you’ve turned into a whopper lately. You know, I know, so wtf? You’re once again coming in looking for a ruck where there isn’t one. Been loads on here today, so what’s your problem? Why would I even consider doing anything you ask of me? Why? Who are ya? There’s been peace on here, broken only by you and your divvies cropping up looking for trouble. Nobody else is ffs. You really are making a right mug of yourself and it’s bordering on embarrassing. Come on, talk football and people respond. Come on giving it large and you just look pathetic. You choose.

• 40 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Shirebrook, not what I was hoping for mate. More like Div 1 than PL. 🙂

• 41 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Bobby

Aye all the hype and so far the games has been flat. Man Utd have parked the bus and are hoping to nick one

• 42 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Bobby, Southampton always have a cracking conveyor belt of local talent, Forest have been very good over the years as well, as you say it’s not just the big boys.
    I’m sure a lot of the players at the bigger clubs get ruined early on by having too much cash. They are getting paid more for being in the U18’s than seasoned League one players. Some of them will end up getting paid more at that stage of their career than they ever do later on if they end up at lower league level.
    I think the telling thing with our academy is how many players that are rated early on end up out of football or at a really low level. Look at Adam Campbell. I remember everyone rating him as highly as they rate Armstrong now, where is he? He’s a 1 goal every 10 games striker at league two Notts County.

• 43 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Be nice to extend St James’ to 60,000

• 44 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Really disapponting, this is usually a cracking game with all the rivalry but not tonight sadly.

• 45 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Pogba yet again has failed to live up to his price tag

• 46 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Shirebrook, Bobby…
    Yeah Sky go ve these games the big build up. They’ve been flogging this Red Monday thing for the last week. Cancelled each other out. Liverpool at Anfield, not showed enough enterprise for me.
    Talk about a huge flop!

• 47 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Bobby at 39 all that was rubbish and you really could do with supplying the proof of your accusation. You do it time and again with no prompting, but when pressed you get abusive and dismissive. it’s not an argument its debate: question and answer. If you can’t engage successfully don’t start it that’s all I’m saying. No need to get abusive because you’ve painted yourself into a corner. I’m only pressing you because scattered amongst all the innocuous football posts there’s all these strange digs you keep chirping on with.

• 48 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Sutty, tbh I never rated Campbell at all. Didn’t see what the fuss was. Whereas Arma has looked the biz from his first appearance in the academy side. Of course Arma might not make it, nobody can tell yet 100% but he’s bang on target to be a proper star. Never understood why a section of our support always give the local lads more stick than those underperforming around them. Maybe they expect more of them, I’ve no idea. Only time will tell, but my gut tells me he’ll make it. Those goals he gets are never flukes. And he’s scored some crackers. 🙂

• 49 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Chelsea v Man U and the Bridge on Sunday? Maybe another shut out. Should think Mourinho will go pragmatic again – he’ll see 2 draws away at Liverpool and Chelsea as a decent haul?

• 50 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM

And best of all it is still nufc – related!

• 51 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Sing

That’s all it seems to be now with Sky. Biggin up all the big rivalries like it’s some mega blockbuster event. Next they will have them on Pay Per view lol

• 52 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Tsunki. Ever thought it might be all in your head? You see things that aren’t there. Look at that post again. See the lmao on the end of it? Bit of fun. Stop being so bloody sensitive. Anyone would think you had a guilty conscience by your reactions 🙂 We had a row what, a week ago? I’ve moved on, you clearly haven’t. Anyway, I’ve got better things to do. I was enjoying the football chat but you’ve ruined my buzz. I’ll go then you’ve got nothing to spoil the blog for – again.

• 53 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Shire
    Shhhh! Don’t tempt em!
    Agree on Pog by the way. I think he’s ‘just a sh*t Carlton Palmer’
    🙂

• 54 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM

When does Armas loan end? Is it January?

• 55 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

OK Bobby we’ll leave it there, but just remember, not everyone takes to throwaway (and unfounded) accusations about the ulterior motives of other fans, on a fans blog.

• 56 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Shire
    Yep, January it says on nufc.com anyhow.

• 57 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Sing

Haha sh1t Carlton Palmer. Class lol

• 58 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Bobby, I’m behind the lad, I just like to temper my expectations. I think the biggest thing against him is his size. You have to be very, very, very good to make it as a striker without being either fast as lightening or strong as an ox.
    He’s clearly got a hatful of talent, as you say he wouldn’t score the goals he has done without it. If he was 5 inches taller it would be an easy sell to say he’s going to be the next big thing.
    Looking forward to seeing how he progresses anyway!

• 59 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM

You had to, didn’t you, Bobby? All in my head?

You specifically said that some fans were willing their home grown boy Armstrong to fail. The “lmao” was your taking the rise out of such an absurd notion. Now cut the bluster, the insults and the flannel and point out these treacherous swines so we can all join you in your distaste of such unworthy “fans”

• 60 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Ah thought so. Wonder if Rafa has a plan to bring him into the team for the run in after Xmas. As we may have a few tired legs, injuries etc.

• 61 ShirebrookToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Jordan Henderson. Sounds like a very intelligent bloke.

• 62 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM

I’m with you on this Bobby, Armstrong deserves more credit and we deserve to name and shame his detractors. Don’t spare them I say

😀

• 63 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Aye that’s what I was thinking! I hope so…or we’ll never know.

• 64 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Anyhoooooo…

I’ll probably select my customary draw again lol, can’t see us getting less than a point at this place tbf. Lost five of last six, drew at home to villa – more likely a three goal haul in reality.

• 65 Graeme // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Evidently the game tomorrow is being broadcast by Eurosport Asia – anyone have any idea how we can get it??

• 66 Belfast // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM

It seems you’ve killed the blog again. I’m always in the draw club myself.

And it is true about the thousands who don’t post. I get emails of support all the time but they are all shit scared to post it on here.

• 67 Belfast // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:39 PM

If it is being broadcast somewhere foreign you’ll probably find a stream Graeme

• 68 Belfast // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:42 PM

That was exactly the game I was expecting tonight. Mourinho got it bang on to be honest. Any team going there to play football will get hammered.

• 69 Belfast // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Well I’m retiring to read my emails.

Goodnight 🙂

• 70 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Some folk on here are always slagging off Shearer and Keegan. I find it disrespectful. Other folk include bits about Keegan in their distasteful videos – disgraceful. An insult to a Toon hero.

• 71 Graeme // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Belfast – I just clicked on the internal link and I’m watching their programme with no problem!!

Rock on – enjoy it!!

• 72 firebug666 // Oct 17, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Graeme

Aye marra it works canny, lets hope it works again tomorrow.

• 73 expatmag // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:01 PM

TSUNKI

You been sent to the naughty corner again, mate?……lol

• 74 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Mister Tuff……. Excellent YouTube clip. Just be aware that it could lead to you being reported for hate crimes though.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM

betty – I was just highlighting the disrespect of KK.
    Any other inferences are just coincidental.

• 76 expatmag // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM

TUFF

Where did you pull that one from mate?

Has C been in the studio again?….

• 77 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:10 PM

MrT…….. Always the diplomat.

• 78 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Expat @73 I think so mate it looks like I scared off the blog bull#####er 🙂 I’m gonna pay for that I can tell ha ha

• 79 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:18 PM

Graeme it doesn’t say on Eurosport Asia TV guide anything about it. Where did you get that tip-off?

• 80 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Oops silly me should read up there first. Doh.

• 81 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM

expat – you got to have your finger on where the comedy material is. Mrs is certainly not like the one in the video.

betty – not just a diplomat but a gentleman.

• 82 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Nope can’t search it on their TV grid. Still, if there’s a sat feed somewhere I’m sure it can be found.

• 83 bettyswallocks // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:27 PM

MrT…… Of course you’re a gentleman, there aren’t many of us left.

• 84 Charlietoon // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Thinking we should go for Mata next year. One of the best number 10s in the league but not rated by Jose. If we are Prem and Rafa is in charge he might be a good option and anxious to play.

• 85 manxpie // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34 PM

nah thats just a live text thing similar to the bbc i’m afraid our only hope is if some tech wizard can stream it from the nine bar

• 86 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Yep that’s how I understood it, a dedicated stream back to SJP. I think it’s highly unlikely to catch a sat feed. Radio land again folks!

I’m sure it gets mentioned regularly, but you have to feel sorry for Mata, escaping Jose only to find him following you. His only chance is to drop out of the league where mourinho won’t follow ha ha.

• 87 expatmag // Oct 18, 2016 at 1:19 AM

TSUNKI

Well done is frightening him off mate…..lol

• 88 Son of Geordie // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:00 AM

Someone at 9 bar could stream from their phone using periscope

• 89 lochinvar // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:31 AM

Sunderland owner Ellis Short has spoken to Chinese consortiums over a potential £150m takeover of the Premier League club.(Sun)

Wouldn’t surprise me if they turned him down as they’re looking like the next Wigan.

• 90 cyprus // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:35 AM

Report on that game?

Well nothing. Except, this de Gea may be the best goalie in the world!

• 91 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:35 AM

• 92 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM

Rafa Benitez said tonight’s game at Oakwell is a ‘dangerous fixture’. Wary of Barnley and their high-tempo game !

• 93 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM

Barnsley even

• 94 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:48 AM

Loads of Euro stuff on tonight.
    No-one is going to waste air-time at Barnsley.

• 95 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Barnsley is a great spit and sawdust football town, so it’s great for them to host the lads, and in turn for them to come to St James’s, but apart from that, this Championship campaign is becoming a little tiresome, and frankly should never have happened. I’ll be delighted once its behind us.

• 96 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Jimmy it may be tiresome for you sat in front of your tv missing all the replays , but a new generation of toon supporters is learning what it’s like to watch their heroes live and winning.

We are taking 6,000 to Oakwell on a Tuesday night ffs.

I look on this time in the Championship as a massive pre-season for 2017/18 in the PL.

• 97 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Ok, that’s a positive view, and not without some merit. But the majority of fans, and there is a large diaspora, are aware of why we are competing in the Championship, as opposed to the epl, where a club of our size should always be. We are the 17th wealthiest club in Europe, and with the money in the English game, only then going one way barring mismanagement. Surely it isn’t just a question of forgive and forget and let’s find the bright side. I like the French maxim, forgive, but never forget.

• 98 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Just to annoy those who hate comparison with Hoots heroes.

The equivalent fixture in 2009/10 was a 2 – 2 draw

The team that day

Harper
    Ryan Taylor
    Jose Enrique
    Butt
    Steven Taylor
    Coloccini
    Pancrate
    Smith
    Carroll
    Nolan
    Gutierrez

Substitutes:

Harewood for Gutierrez (69)
    Ranger for Pancrate (79)
    Khizanishvili for Enrique (80)

• 99 martoon // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Sorry Jimmy I can’t agree – I’m enjoying our time in the Championship. Different teams, different players to see, more games to watch and hopefully we’ll win quite a lot of them. Yes I don’t want to stay in the Championship for more than 1 season but it is all part of the rebuilding process by Rafa.

• 100 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Jimmy
    I honestly believe if we hadn’t gone through the trauma of last season and the parlous situation we were in last March – we would never have acquired the services of a manager of Benitez’ stature.

If we are in French maxim mode

“Vous devez souffrir de nombreuses épreuves et tribulations pour atteindre votre objectif”

• 101 carl // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Tsunki
    You need a rethink matey as you and a good few others have driven a good many away. Ed says many more are now readers than ever before. I think it’s for a number of reasons like you naming me earlier though I haven’t posted for months, talk of any new poster being a multiple. Generally not a welcoming feel about the blog anymore cause of types like you.

I was one of the first to post in 2007 and only stopped posting because of endless fighting and non football chat. Why should many bother when we can get our football news and views from so many sources today. I only speak up now because I like reading Bobby’s first hand football comments so please just lay off him and try to remember we are all fans. Unless your aim is to empty the blog altogether of worthwhile football comment. Your not a bully boy so stop your treatment.

Doesn’t stop me watching I’ll be at Barnsley tonight.

• 102 Jimmy……Jimmy……Jimmy Smith // Oct 18, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Well I wonder why a club of our stature had to get themselves into such a fix before they’d turn to a manager of Rafa’s stature.

Why didn’t we get someone more of his calibre rather than Pardew and McClaren?

And why did it have to come to this before we got a squad of this depth and balance?

I’m glad we are finally heading in the right direction. But really, fans are simply suffering now for the errors of above.

Beating Brentford at home, or Barnsley away is hardly a cause of celebration, as much of an undeserved penance for the folly of the owner.

I admit the football is fun to watch, but there’s an element of flat track bully to it.

previous post: Lots Of Good News From Rafa’s Press Conference