The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Player Adamant – I Don’t Want To Lose This Shirt

1:56 pm, Monday, October 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

Karl Darlow has played well since he took over from Matz  Sels after the 1-1 draw away to Aston Villa and Karl seems happy enough with the way the game went on Saturday, even though we conceded a poor goal after we had gone 3-0 up just after half time.

And Karl was pleased to hear his name being sung in the Gallowgate end, but he has been a fan favorite ever since he came in for the injured Rob Elliot last March and played very well for us in what were crucial games – but we still failed to avoid the drop.

Karl Darlow – currently first choice at Newcastle

This is what Karl has said in the Chronicle today:

“It’s an amazing feeling, they have been amazing since I first came here.” “I expect nothing less from them to be fair because they are excellent.”

“Hopefully, they will support us all the way through the season and we will have a good campaign.”

“I knew what I wanted to do from the first day of the season, which was to play football.” “I am happy now and don’t want to lose this shirt.”

“I just have to keep on performing and hopefully that will be good enough.”

“It will be a hard game tomorrow. All away games are tough, we had to dig in against Rotherham and show some grit and determination.”

“It might be similar against Barnsley.” “I think in the home games we can play more football and look a bit more comfortable maybe.”

“We know we’ll have to go and grind results sometimes and Barnsley might be another one where we’ll have to go and grind three points.”

“It’s crazy, we have been supported so well all the way through.” “At Rotherham, all you could hear was the Geordies.”

“They turn the away games into home games for us with the cheering and so on.” “Hopefully they stick with us and we continue winning football matches.”

Good words there from the 26 year-old goalkeeper.

Rafa has said in his press conference today that both Matz Sels and Karl Darlow are looking good in training and with Rob Elliot now back in full training, there’s going to be some competition between the three goalkeepers on who will eventually become the number one this season.

We expect Karl to start tomorrow night at Oakwell and it would be good if we can get a clean sheet tomorrow night.

Another win is what we need.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Interview · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 MadisonToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I’ll admit that when we bought Darlow and Lascelles from Forest, I was a bit worried about how good they would be, especially with them staying on at Forest for the year. They weren’t much in or around the first team until injuries required it last year and, prior to their appearance on the scene, I thought we may have just thrown money away on them.

However, hat-in-hand, I will definitely admit that they are looking to be good players as captain and current No.1 keeper, now this seems very much like money well spent. I hope their current form continues and they continue to grow into the solid professionals they certainly have the chance to become.

• 2 hibbit // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM

with me it was Clark listened so many so called experts i started to believe them
    this lad could be one of the best buys this season
    big strong lad good with his feet and his head no were he should be and what he should be doing
    actually looks like he enjoys playing for the toon and Rafa

• 3 cyprus // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Interesting that Rafa mentioned only two goalies. Arguably the better of the three isn’t in the mix, unless they both get injured! It’s rare, but it happens – See NUFC

• 4 WWSBRD // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Kruls on loan mate no reason to mention him

• 5 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Rafa bibgo.

Yedders Lascelles Clark Dummett

Hayden Shelvey

Ritchie. Diame. The Gouff

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Bigbo? Try bingo. 🙂

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Hibbett, Clark was one of those Rafa decided he could make into a better player with the right coaching. He’s certainly succeeded there! Villa would snatch our hand off to get him back now, he’s a different player. I think he’d been there so long he’d gone stale and just needed a new challenge.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM

100% got it wrong but I’ve dropped, sorry rotated Lascelles going off my expert 118 seconds footage, I think he looked suss in that wild scissor kick tackle and should have had his defence better prepared for their training ground goal. That’s of course only if we’re looking for someone to blame.

• 9 Budge123 // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo Bango

Yedlin Mbemba Clarke Dummett
    Hayden Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran

Got 9 on Saturday probably less this time.
    Personally would like to see Dummett replaced and 2 up top but Luckily it’s not my decision!

3-0 away win.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM

People are complaining about Hanley, he is definitely not the best but he is capable and as a captain of a team has the right temperament, if he accepts that he is never going to be first choice and is happy to be in a winning squad I think he could be capable back up for years to come.

• 11 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Apparently the club had an insert into Armstrongs contract that he cannot play against his parent club.
    (as per the Chronicle).

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 2:59 PM

I got so close on Saturday I felt like a win, but no points for a ten 🙁

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:01 PM

As far as I know there is no rule about clubs playing their loanees against each other. But I remember when SBR loaned out Lua Lua he scored against us and clubs have put a clause in ever since.
    That is without the use of Google so I stand to be corrected!

• 14 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Jail, I suspect the fact that he was feeling ill might have affected his form. That bug has hit our house as well, with both my missus and son having suffered it. Luckily I gave it a body swerve somehow. 🙂 Looking at both of them, I couldn’t imagine either fancied playing football. 🙂 I’m banking on him having made a full recovery as it only seems to last 48 hours. I’ve not won yet so I’m not holding my breath. 🙂 Got nine on Saturday though, which is the best I’ve done so far. Rafa doesn’t make it easy on us does he?

• 15 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:02 PM

rafa bingo

• 16 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Jail, as tuff points out, he’s not allowed to play against us – for exactly the reason you highlight. Lua Lua scored a goal that cost us two points as I recall, in a 1-1 draw was it? He scored at the opposite end to us, so we were unable to express our gratitude! 🙂

• 17 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Reckon someone will get all 11 right tomorrow. As has been said, it appears only certain players/positions are being rotated. But as has been shown, what do we know..?

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Bobby,I’m fuming I couldn’t see that Hayden played for theU21’s and therefore Colback would come in. Firebug666 the only one with five points.

• 19 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Jail – I had thought that the non playing against the parent club had been binned but according to the Chronic apparently not.

• 20 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM

does anyone know if the match is on the dodgy channels the morra,i know its getting fed back to st james park but just wondered if there were any links already mentioned?

• 21 MadisonToon // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Rafa bingo lineup

. . . . . . . . . . . Darlow. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Yedlin . Clark . Lascelles . Dummett .
    . . . . . . Shelvey . Hayden . . . . . . . . . . .
    Ritchie . . . . . Diame . . . . . . Gouffran .
    . . . . . . . . . . . Mitrovic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I’d expect Ritchie to be back in as Atsu didn’t make that spot his own last match – crossing was pretty poor (the curse of NUFC).

I think Yedlin on the break may be particularly helpful tomorrow so he will hopefully get the shout over Anita.

I’d expect Clark and Lascelles to stay in although I would personally rotate them both for Mbemba and Hanley to give them minutes as well.

I’m ready for Hayden to make the spot his own, I know Colback puts in a shift and we need those people, I just think Hayden has a much higher upside and we should play him to realize that upside.

Gouff could get subbed for Lazaar but I’m not sure Rafa thinks he’s ready yet.

I badly want Mitro to get another start, although with Gayle scoring like mad it’s probably unlikely.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Mr Tuff,
    I’m not sure if it’s an FA thing or a club v club thing, it certainly wasn’t an FA rule when Lua Lua scored against us.

• 23 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:13 PM

i’ve put lascelles in,but reading he went off with sickness so wonder if he’ll be rested and hanley or mbemba plays instead,ive put the team out now so wont change it,just thought i’d mention it for those who have’nt put there teams out yet.

• 24 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM

i’m led to believe that the parent club of a player must state in the loan deal that the player loaned cannot play against his parent club,and newcastle unfortunately didnt do this with lua lua,which harry redknapp(i believe was manager of pompey) took advantage of…it would be us that falls for that!lol

• 25 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Springy, with the game being streamed back to SJP, I would’ve thought some enterprising young computer buff could hack into the stream and put it online. Not me, I’m neither young nor do I know anything about computing, but if it’s out there, surely someone will have the nous to divert it to a larger audience. Maybe jib could tell us if that’s plausible or not? Anyone with the know how out there? Can it even be done? Someone out there will tell us.

• 26 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:28 PM

ive wondered in the past,if that could be done with the home games,but they never have from st james,but this is an away game so there myt be some way of doin it,i like you are not clued up enough with i.t know how to do it…..though i wish i was!lol

• 27 nut meg // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Rafa’s bingo V Barnsley
    Anita M’Bemba Clarke Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diamie Gouffran

• 28 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM

no-one gone for Atsu yet…

• 29 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Springy, I was thinking that if it’s being beamed back, it must be in the ether somewhere for it to be hacked. No idea how they’re doing it, but once it’s floating around… isn’t that how people hack into games that are on live elsewhere in the world? I so much don’t know it’s embarrassing 🙂

• 30 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Bobby, least you don’t have to worry about programming VCRs anymore…

• 31 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM

I’ve picked the team 100% for the last three games – unfortunately I forgot to post them.

I wonder if that nice man Jail for Ashley will givvus 15 points on the strength of my word ?

• 32 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM

not the only one mate,im pretty much a cave dweller when it comes things of that nature!lol

• 33 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Clint, our lass has just bought me a new phone with a six inch screen and all sorts of bells and whistles on it. Tbh I’m dreading getting to know it. She’s setting it up for me now. Put my old one through the washer so lost all my contacts. I doubt they still make the one I had. Still, gives me chance to learn something new I suppose 🙂

• 34 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM

nice try jib…..nice try!lol

• 35 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Jib, why aye man, why not? 🙂

• 36 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:43 PM

ah Bobby, who’d be over 50 mate, eh?

• 37 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM

i bought an android phone and was clueless so put it in the draw and stuck with my old phone that was falling apart for 3-4 month!…..but once you start using it regular u’ll soon pick it…..u tube was quite good to help along with things i got stuck with.

• 38 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Clint, I’m already on my way out of the 50’s bracket mate! Might just remain 59 until I peg out – as good a number as any. 🙂

• 39 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM

cant use age as my excuse….only in my 40’s!lol….just a bit of a technophobe cave man,i think!!lol

• 40 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM

bought an Amazon Firestick last week, and installed Kodi on it myself….how good is that eh?

• 41 Jib // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM

The first priority is for your lass to set up periscope on it for your beambacks from SJP !

• 42 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Hot on yer heels at 57 mate, SPRINGY….your knacked! 😉

• 43 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Springy, aye, mines an android phone apparently. Not that that means anything to me like! 🙂 I need to get more savvy so it’s forced me into it. Mmm, wonder if that’s why she put my old one through the washer? 🙂

• 44 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM

i do have kodi, and installed myself,so maybe im not as much a caveman as i think!!lol

• 45 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM

yep,ya probably right tho!lol

• 46 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Thete ya go springy! That’s the spirit. Between you and me though, wtf is kodi? Heard of it, but that’s about all. 🙂

• 47 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:52 PM

sounds like the crafty wife indoors has shoe horned u into the future mate,by sabotaging your old phone…..probs for the best like!lol

• 48 Fostino // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM

I see spurs fans are already turning on sissoko

my team tonight

yedlin lascalles clark lazaar

Ritchie shelvey hayden goofy

gayle diame

reckon rest dummett or goofy tonight and the other on sat. bring mitro on as early as possible

• 49 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM

u tube explains all!!lol….including kodi

• 50 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Springy, does doesn’t it? She is always on at me to catch up though, so maybe it was a nudge in the right direction. Probably needed it so fair do’s on that front. 🙂

• 51 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM

in short its a media hub with links to films,tv,and sport channels from all over the world….basically….someone out there could explain it better no doubt.

• 52 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM

• 53 clinath@ed // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM

I think Jib kept mentioning it re: watching live games on Saturdays…..thought I’d give it a shot. Watched some great films so far.

• 54 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Fostino, aye, saw that myself mate. ‘Why does Sissoko get paid for playing football’ was one of the comments I saw. Never mind Spuds – and thanks for the 30m by the way. Suckered! 🙂

• 55 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Afternoon all

Rafa’s barmy bingo

Anita Lacelles Clarke Dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Perez Gouffron

Nobody else seems to be selecting Perez so I thought I’d take the gamble.

• 56 Mag52 // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM

You’ve got to hand it to Rafa the way he has brought in Darlow in place of his goalkeeping choice at the start of the season, Sels.
    There are a number of managers out there who would, pig-headedly, have stuck by their man for a lot longer.

• 57 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM

I forgot that Sissoko was supposed to be playing for Spurs on Saturday can’t remember him getting a mention at any stage of the game.

• 58 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:04 PM

It makes you wonder why clubs don’t look at blogs like this before spending stupid money on players. If they had, they’d know that he was shyte. The whole blog – almost – was adamant that Sissoko was all mouth and not as good as he thinks he is, but hey! They know best. Buy in haste, repent at leisure, to coin a phrase. 🙂

• 59 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Today’s Monday we are playing Tuesday! 🙂

• 60 hibbit // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:07 PM

90% of this blog had the same opinion of Clark before we signed him !!

• 61 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM

True, we might not be capable of managing a club but fans do know the difference between a carthorse and a thoroughbred.

• 62 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Mag52, to be fair, I don’t think Rafa does favourites much. I suspect he was as unsure as most with Selz not commanding his area the way expected of him. Still, does no harm to let players know that if they don’t perform to the best of their ability, their place isn’t safe. Something we’ve put up with for far too long under previous gaffers.

• 63 SPRINGY // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM

sissoko gettin grief…..cant say its a surprise as his price tag would make him stand out and be more focused on by fans.

• 64 Mag52 // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM

He apparently had a dodgy game in the Euros, and on the strength of that………

• 65 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Is Kodi a free app

• 66 Bobbybee // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Hibbett, not sure it was that high, but you’re right in that a lot weren’t prepared to give him a chance before passing judgement on him. How wrong they were. The difference though is that we’d seen Sissoko for a number of seasons and were in a great place to judge his ability. With Clark it was just people believing what bitter Villa fans had to say. 🙂

previous post: This Could Be The Side That Rafa Starts At Barnsley