The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is The Result Newcastle Fans Expect Tonight

3:32 pm, Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

Confidence is sky-high on Tyneside at the moment with three successive wins and unbeaten in the last five games, but that’s when we are probably in most danger of a surprise result.

The last shock result was the 2-0 defeat at home to Wolves just four days after we had taken QPR apart 6-0 on the road, so the lads must come out and play somewhere near their best form tonight against a dangerous Barnsley side.

rafa benitez training

Rafa Benitez in training

Four in five Newcastle fans expect us to be able to get all three points tonight at Oakwell, but it will not be easy.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Barnsley?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Poll · Prediction

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Cracking addition to the discussion once again

Dont get me wrong I know its difficult for u when people are having a discussion without hurling insults, in all honesty am impressed with how long u were able to hold back

• 2 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Shame this one isn’t televised !

Paul Heckingbottom the Barnsley boss will realise they are on a hiding to nothing so will encourage his side to apply their known attacking prowess.

Should be a ding dong cracker !!!!

• 3 Jib // Oct 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM

If you think that’s a hurled insult you must have had a right soft upbringing.
    What other blogs do you use? softtartsareus ?
    Spending your time complaining how the neighbours couch doesn’t match the curtains.

• 4 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM

…we werent having a discussion so I assumed it was pretty clear I was refering to the conversation I was having with betty…now I feel like I have to explain the full post or are u following its meaning now?

• 5 JamesToon // Oct 18, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Anyone else just love the way we play under rafa, we press when we need to, sit back when we need to, always keep shape and discipline, keep possession when we need to, go direct when we need to. Just loving it, come on lads, im making the trip to barnsley tonight so another 3 points please!

• 6 Graeme // Oct 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM

This was posted in the Chronicle last night, just in case anyone missed it
    evidently the match is being streamed on Eurosport Asia!!

I tried it last night and it worked fine, hopefully it will do what it says on the tin!!

• 7 hibbit // Oct 18, 2016 at 4:48 PM

its always good to follow a winning team playing decent football
    so far so good but still a long way to go
    i think we can still improve the players look to be enjoying there football and working with Rafa heads don’t go down anymore at the first hiccup
    we as fans are looking forward to every game its great the best season in years
    only regret it’s not in the prem

• 8 martoon // Oct 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM

From previous jib is correct if SD were to become our shirt sponsor they would be paying for advertising and sponsorship to promote themselves not the other way around. Just because Ashley owns NUFC I don’t see anything unethical – surely not any different to Man City being sponsored by Etihad?

• 9 bettyswallocks // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Martoon…….. I think Jib was confusing himself by suggesting that Sports Direct as a company would sponsor NUFC being the football club. I don’t think company business practice is his forte.

• 10 martoon // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Betty – this is getting complicated. Jib was replying to Slank who said it would be unethical for SD to be our sponsor because of Ashley. Jib’s point was it would be if it was the other way around i.e. SD were promoting NUFC but I don’t see a problem SD paying to be our shirt sponsor. I’m going to let it rest now.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Martoon……… Ok. Lol.

• 12 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:16 PM

The problem arises when SD dont pay anything for the sponsorship

• 13 bettyswallocks // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM

WWS…….. Quite right. This is the point I was trying to make to Jib earlier but he doesn’t seem able to grasp it.

• 14 Legolas // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Hi all,

NUFC.Com are saying that Mo Diame and Chancel Mbemba are both out.

Unlucky for those who have them in their Rafa Bingo line up.

• 15 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Aye I wouldnt worry too much about Jib grasping things, Ive little doubt he knows exactly what was meant but decided to ignore it

• 16 bettyswallocks // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM

WWS ……….. Yes he does appear very stubborn when it comes to accepting a different point of view to his own.

• 17 9 // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM

I realise Championship form isn’t an exact science, but given all known facts Barnsley are there for the taking. Nobody picked up on it, but up until part-way through September they were something of a miracle story. Starting way down in Division 1 they achieved promotion and then had a great run of results at the start of the season, with a tiny and ridiculously cheap squad. Peter Heckinbottom and Tommy Wright were working wonders. They continued their excellent form by beating Wolves away just four days before Wolves turned us over at St James’. That proved to be the end of their charmed start to the season. They promptly lost at home, the same day Wolves beat us, then there was the Tommy Wright scandal (no, not THAT Tommy Wright, for older readers) which forced him out and their form has fallen off a cliff since. I think they’ve lost their last five! Now is the time to be playing Barnsley!

• 18 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM

WWSBRD, what are your thoughts on a win today?

• 19 chicousa // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Probably missed the deadline for JfA’s Rafa bingo but here is my lineup:

Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett
    Shelvey, Hayden
    Ritchie, Diame, Atsu

0-3 HWTL and HWTF!!!

• 20 hibbit // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM

from a PR point of view NUFC are a toxic brand sponsors don’t want there companies associated with Ashley or SD with all the bad press and baggage they have acquired over the last few months
    we could have very little choice after Wonga leave

• 21 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM

One way to put it aye haha

Another fairly comfortable 2/3 nil win would be my prediction what about u mate?

• 22 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Graeme, just looked at that site and set up an account myself. 🙂 Cheers for that bonny lad. Might work, might not, but what makes me slightly confident is because it’s being shown in Asia, not Europe. Eufa have a policy about showing other games when there’s CL matches on, but as this is aimed at the Asian market I can see how they could bypass that rule – in theory anyway! 🙂 Looking forward to it either way – radio Newcastle of stream. For those listening, my advice is to have SSN on in the background because they’ll show the goals immediately they’re scored. I was there last time we went to Barnsley and we had over 7000 there in a crowd of about 20k. Awesome. Sadly my travelling days are done for now. Never say never though… 🙂

• 23 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Chicousa, I put Diame in my team, but apparantly he’s injured mate. So people are telling us anyway. Too many saying it for my liking anyway. 🙂 Probably not the only one I’ll get wrong anyway. 9/11 is the best I’ve done so far.

• 24 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM

I don’t know why, I’m feeling draw unfortunately… wondering if I should put 25 on it against my hunch

• 25 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Anyway… 🙂

• 26 AncientC // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM

• 27 mindshaft // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Rafa Bingo

Anita, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett
    Shelvey, Hayden
    Ritchie, Perez, Gouffran

• 28 DubaiMicky // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM

anyone got a feed for us abroad? Even just a radio one?

• 29 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Dok, don’tcha just hate those gut feelings? At least, the ones that say we won’t win! 🙂 We should have more than enough to win tonight, but it’ll be like a cup tie. 6k of us and probably double that for them by all accounts – sounds an even match. 🙂 It won’t feel like a league game for them and they will be well up for it, but our talent should be enough I reckon.

• 30 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

if you were to go to facebook and find toon army America, they have a great spreaker link, works every time

• 31 chicousa // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Yeah I read that about Diame also, but as is my luck was too late! My best score in Rafa bingo is worse than your 9 out of 11! I keep picking Mitro and so my hope always beats out my reason…

• 32 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

its a radio one, fyi…

• 33 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Ancient and mindshaft. I think the only way one of you won’t get 11/11 is if Yedders gets the nod ahead of Anita. May the best man win. 🙂

• 34 mindshaft // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM

BB – trying to second guess Rafa is a seemingly impossible task 🙂

• 35 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Chicousa, he’ll get the nod one day soon mate, just keep plugging away. He might start tonight, you just never can tell with Rafa.

• 36 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Someone said that 6,000 of our fans are going to the match….

Then I saw this on twitter….

The Chronicle ?@ChronicleNUFC now11 seconds ago
    Barnsley boss reckons his side’s supporters will ‘out-sing’ #nufc travelling army:

I think our lot will make themselves heard. 😀

• 37 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Mindshaft, I can’t manage it so far, but I think the only question tonight will be Hayden or Colback in midfield with Shelvey. I can see Anita keeping his place, but Yedders is always an option away from home because he has the pace to overlap Ritchie and then get back. Like ye say, bloody impossible. 🙂

• 38 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM

In all honesty I have a fear it’ll be a draw no idea why, probably because things are going well tbh

But headwise it’s got to be a win

• 39 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM

I hope yedders is in tonight marra, cos I have him too.

• 40 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Firebug, not a bloody chance mate! 🙂 When you put 6k toon fans in one place – unlike at home where the singers are spread about – you just know the noise levels are going through the roof. Let them try though, it’ll make for a cracking atmosphere.

• 41 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM

On the score, confidence is high, Barnsley are good but they are not that bloody good…0-4 to the Toon

• 42 Bobbybee // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Firebug, I’ve got Yedders as well mate, but also picked Diame, who I’m reliably informed is crocked. Best of luck mate. Still think you’ve got an inside line to Rafa like! Lmao!

• 43 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Aye out lot will be heard across all of Yorkshire.

• 44 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM

11 games and only 5 points, well maybe 10 points after tonight. PMSL!

Rafa has a habit of flamuxing (not sure if that is even a word) us all.

• 45 Legolas // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM

I am going with a 3-0 win tonight. Hope I am not being over confident.

• 46 beermonkey // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM

jfa rafa bingo

anita mbemba clark dummet
    heyden shelvy
    ritchie diame goofy

• 47 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM

thanks lad, appreicaite it, I went for a win…

• 48 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Diame didn’t travel I think mate. Just seen the lads arriving at Oakwell on Periscope and didn’t see him.

• 49 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM

I have already put my team prediction in, this is just a reminder to myself.

Anita Lascelles Clarke dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Perez Gouffroun

On form we should have the beating of them no problem.

I’d like to see a clean sheet tonight.

• 50 WWSBRD // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Not sure I put in a Rafa bingo this time so am a pure spectator in the game haha

Good luck guys

• 51 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Wonder if Ed is going to put another thread up?

• 52 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM

He will in ten minutes when the teams are announced.

• 53 Legolas // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Essex, That is the team I went for. Hope it’s winner. Lol.

• 54 Goromagpie // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM

I saw Diame with the team arriving dude

• 55 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Cheers marra I must have missed him.

• 56 Goromagpie // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM

He will start I think

• 57 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder now4 seconds ago View translation
    Darlow, Anita, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden, Gouffran, Diame, Gayle #nufc

• 58 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM

I’m going for a 4 -2 victory for the Toon.

• 59 mindshaft // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM

That Eurosport link is rubbish – they mean follow updates live on the website … has the same blurb for all the championship games 🙁

• 60 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM

You’re right he will.

• 61 Goromagpie // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Yes lol

• 62 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM

From the official site – might interest expats this season.

Barnsley v Newcastle – LIVE

Newcastle United are looking to make it four league wins in a row at Barnsley tonight – and we’ll have live commentary of the match on nufcTV.

The Magpies are unbeaten in their last five matches in all competitions but face a tricky game at Oakwell against former Darlington defender Paul Heckingbottom’s newly-promoted side.

Kick-off tonight is at 7.45pm and the match will not be televised – although it is being beamed back to supporters at St. James’ Park. However, former United favourite John Anderson will join BBC Newcastle’s Mick Lowes behind the microphone from 7pm and there will also be exclusive post-match reaction to follow.

With live commentary of every game this season, post-match highlights plus lots more behind-the-scenes content and interviews for just £3.99 a month, nufcTV is the best way to stay up-to-date with your Club whether you’re a far-flung fan or a Gallowgate regular.

You can listen to the commentary wherever you are in the world, so if you’re not already a subscriber, why not sign up here for less than 11p a day?

• 63 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM