The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Here’s Much Deserved Praise For Traveling Newcastle Fans

1:20 pm, Wednesday, October 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

The traveling Newcastle fans not only give great support to the team but they are also great ambassadors for the club.

Here’s a tweet we had at the end of one article last night, but we’ll highlight it here – from a Barnsley supporter – lauding the great Geordie fans.

Well done lads and lassies – we ‘re proud of you all.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Fans · Newcastle Fans · Newcastle News · Other News

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Gayle has given an interview to NUFC TV just read it in The Mag so I thought I would copy it here for everyone else.

Working backwards from last season the points totals of the last five clubs to finish second are (in brackets is how many the third place team totalled):

2015/16 89 points (89)

2014/15 89 points (86)

2013/14 93 points (85)

2012/13 79 points (77)

2011/12 88 points (86)

Dwight Gayle speaking to NUFC TV:

“It is important we keep pushing and picking up the three points.

“It wasn’t the best performance and they made it really hard for us, it was important we grinded it out.

“The fans were fantastic and pulled us along the way, thankfully got the three points to send them home happy.

“I see the keeper sliding across and I know that if I hit it along the floor he will pick it up, so I thought I would just try and dink it over him (for first goal.”

‘The second goal was more like Tino Asprilla goal, the dink over the goalkeeper?’

“Yes, it was a bit of a lucky one, it was a great ball from Mattie Ritchie to play me in and luckily when I have got to it, it’s gone in.

“The 2-0 helped us to relax and take off some of the pressure in the final 10 minutes.”

‘Seven goals in the last four games, have you ever been in form like it?’

“Can’t say I have.

“As I said at the weekend, it is just fantastic to play with all of these quality players.”

‘You set a target of 20 goals at the start of the season, with 11 already have you revised that target?’

“No, I said at the start I wanted to get 20 and that is my aim right now. I’m just helping out and in good form at the moment but I’m sure there will be times when I’m not scoring and other people will be scoring and helping out.”

‘It means nothing at the minute but you must be happy to be top?’

“Yes, we came in and were told the Norwich result (2-2 draw at Fulham after having led 2-0).

“We have got a job to do ourselves, two points a game (on average) and keep aiming for that 92 points that we think is going to get us promotion.”

‘The travelling fans?’

“As I said at the weekend, when I found out there was this many (5,900) travelling, it’s unheard of to have that many travelling away on a Tuesday night in the Championship.

“The fans were fantastic (watch footage HERE of them at Oakwell) and we are loving playing in front of them.”

• 2 stuart no9 // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM

bloody hell calm down Ed , im trying to get a point over to people ….
    …stuart no9 // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM

stuart no9 // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM

newcastle starting yo get it together now , and gayle starting to get into gear , must admit at the start of the season i wasnt too sure about him even though i knew he could score but was he up to the task at newcastle sooo pleased its tiurning out right for him now , and i feel he hasnt started yet . being top in october was something i expected before the season started , but after the first few games i thought , ooops maybe im wrong , now we are there i fully expect us to stay there or 2nd sometimes , but rafa is in the awing now as are are the lads . Being top also brings apprehension from opponents now IMO.
    I feel opponents may show us too much respect which will allow us to control games more and take advantage of the situation , maybe not all teams but most teams will turn out with the fear factor in the tunnel , anyone agree or disagree??

as for the fans we and the 1000s who travelled yesterday are doing raffa proud . He would have loved that last night . In fairness we have never been any different , but when you have a team to be proud of and a manager to be proud and relieved he decided to stay with us , we are the best fans in the world – BAR NONE

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Good job you caught the bus there.

They’re going to miss us in the championship when we go up. If only for the income from our travelling fans.

• 4 clinath@ed // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Mag52…climate here, absolutely agree with you there. But it is gonna be hard to drop the bugger while he’s banging them in 😉
    Cup games are the others best bet at the moment. still hoping Arma will be brought home in January, but not confidant.

• 5 clinath@ed // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Essex, did you see the periscope footage last night? The right hand side of the stadium was literally half empty.
    Why were the seats not offered to us so that they could increase their income…baffles me.

• 6 firebug666 // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Very true mate they will miss us, but I doubt we will miss them 😀 .

What is nice though is the way these other supporters talk about our lads, it costs nowt to be nice.

• 7 JamesToon // Oct 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Apologies for the late reply

I think its time we give mitro a chance, diame not performing so why not.

And i dont think changing the full backs will do too much harm, lazaar just needs time, and yedlin i think is defensively sound with his pace.

And i think the barnsley manager needs to look at the stats tbh, we dominated them in the second half

• 8 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM

No I missed the periscope thingy, but I agree, from what I’ve read we were outshouting them anyway, so a few extra voices wouldn’t affect the outcome.

• 9 JamesToon // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Id just like to more of the likes of yedlin, lazaar, mitro and murphy but its hard when we’re on a good run!

• 10 Jib // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Something Ancient said about Isaac Hayden having the potential to be a quality centre half makes me think you will get your wish to see all those players together before seasons end.

Rafa we know likes the 4-2-3-1 but he is also not averse to 5-3-2 (he used it most times when he brought Liverpool to SJP with much success)

I think a central 3 of Hanley with Lascelles and Hayden on either side and Yedlin and Lazaar as wing backs would be awesome – Mitro and Murphy at the sharp end with crosses pinging in a-la Serbia v Austria.

You could perm your midfield trio from about 7 players

• 11 clinath@ed // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Not fancy Clark in that formation Jib?

• 12 lochinvar // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Class always rises to the top as it did last night…… that why the Mackems are where they are ?

Thanks Rafa…..I feel like the Fonz, ” Happy Days “

• 13 WWSBRD // Oct 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Hayden at CB? Not entirely sure why people would want that tbh hes doing very well at CM, we have Lascelles, Clark, Mbemba and Hanley for the 2 spots already

• 14 magpie6699 // Oct 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Just thinking about all the comments about our squad and the players we’ve bought and how “little old us”teams can’t compete.
    1. We were relegated from the Premiership – we didn’t ask to be but we deserved it.
    2. We had a Premiership squad (supposedly!)
    3. We had to sell or loan several of our “top players” (Yeah, I know what you’ll say!!) – Gini, Sissoko, De Jong, Townsend etc.
    4. We made a net profit of £30 million I think from our transfers – where does that put us in the Championship spending table??
    5. Any advantage we have in attracting quality is down to 2 main factors – the reputations of Rafa and our fanbase .
    6. Money doesn’t always buy happiness in terms of on-field success – as we know!

• 15 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Jib Jibberish – (blog pest and Rafa Bingo spiker)

Mmmmm – now moving into tactics and formations I see.

Interesting last sentence – ” You could perm your midfield trio from about 7 players”.

I suspect the below image depicts your only knowledge of the word “perm”.

• 16 lesh // Oct 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Mr Tuff

You really shouldn’t ridicule Jib.

If he’s astute enough to act as unofficial Spad (Special Advisor) to Rafa, then Jib’s wisdom and vision is there for all of us to learn from.

previous post: We Went Toe-To-Toe With Them But They Gave Us Nothing