Newcastle Now Ahead Of Pace Set By Hughton’s Team In 2009

For the first time this season, after four wins on the trot and a good 2-0 win at Oakwell last night Newcastle are now ahead of the pace set by Chris Hughton’s side last time we were in the Championship.

Newcastle are now 4 points better off than we were seven years ago after 13 games played.

chris hughton -495647691

Chris Hughton – while manager of Newcastle

Newcastle had just lost their second game in a row at Scunthorpe United 2-1, following a 1-0 shock defeat the previous Saturday afternoon at Nottingham Forest.

That was the lowest we got seven years ago and Chris’ team then went on a seven game winning streak starting with a tough 2-1 home win against Doncaster Rovers.

That was when Kevin Nolan got the winner two minutes into stoppage time after we had been 1-0 down at half-time before Andy Carroll’s equalizer on 67 minutes.

We’ll have to keep winning games over the next seven games to keep ahead of the pace set by Newcastle seven years ago and that could be difficult since we had 45 points after 20 games played back then.

But we need to press on and just keep winning.

SeasonPlayedWonLostDrawGFGAGDPoints
2016-20173724857032+3877
2009-201037224117127+4477

Chris’ current club Brighton beat Wolves 1-0 at home last night to go third in the league on 25 points, just 3 points behind Newcastle.

• Ron Knee

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:12 AM

firebug

A bit counter-productive for the advertisers I would have thought!

• Belfast

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:12 AM

You can’t really compare it to be honest. This squad is far more equipped than Hughtons was and there’s no circus in the background. Completely different circumstances. There was no plan whatsoever- sell anyone we can and wing it. Pancrate and Knishvillii says it all.

• Jib

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM

I remember that win against Donny.
    The good performance by Andy Carroll was surprising at the time because the week before he’d been hoisted by the polis – what his misdemeanour was I cannot recall.

• firebug666

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:17 AM

Ron

I agree, they need to sort it out and until they do I won’t be back to them.

Belfast

I agree 100% mate, there is nothing to compare, two completely different teams for different times, football in the championship has changed, there are a lot more teams that are capable of challenging for the top spot, and the gap between the Premier league and Championship is not as wide as it once was.

• SuperShearer

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:22 AM

@Jib… he was accused of hitting his ex-girlfriend I think. Knew someone at the time that was part of the legal investigation into it.

• Jib

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Belfast
    That period I think Ashley was being advised by Redknapp in the background , there was certainly a history of antipathy between Harry and Chris Hughton (dating from the Spurs or West Ham days I’m not sure which) that’s the only thing I can think of to explain Ashley’s dreadful treatment of Hoots.

• Jib