Rafa – Good Win – We Played Well In First Half

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez was quite happy after a good 3-0 win this afternoon against Ipswich Town.

The manager has praised compatriot Ayoze Perez who had a very good game for the Magpies and scored two goals to take his total to 5 goals for the season.

You cannot ask more from a player than two goals and an assist and that’s what Ayoze achieved today as he also set up the third goal for Matt Ritchie.

ayoze-perez-scores-first-gopal-ipswich

Ayoze Perez scores first goal with great volley

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy said that “All three of the finishes were fabulous” from Newcastle and also added that if there is a better team in the Championship than the Magpies he has yet to see them.

This is what Rafa said when asked about Ayoze’s performance:

“It’s important for him because he’s been doing well and working hard. Then I didn’t play him in the next game against Barnsley and Diame did a great job.”

“Then I played Ayoze and he also did a great job.”

“I think it’s good for him personally but also for the team, it means you can change players and they will have to compete.”  “They will get many chances.”

“I would say it was another good win because it’s not easy to win in this competition. I think we played really well in the first half and had a lot of chances.”

“We could have scored more goals but we didn’t do it.”  “So we had to work hard in the second half when they were pushing and pressing high.”

“It wasn’t easy to pass the ball the way we wanted to until we scored the second goal.”

“The second goal meant we had more control but it was easier at the end and the result showed that.”

Next up for Newcastle are two games against Preston North End.

The first one is at home on Tuesday night in the 4th round of the EFL Cup and then we are at Deepdale next Saturday in the Championship.

We need to win both those games.

Here’s the current table.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Ipswich?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• stuart no9

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM

tuart no9 // Oct 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM

i must say , if forrest play against us the same way they have tonight , well put 6 past them . shocking

• stuart no9

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:49 PM

perez being compared to pele !!!! come on lads have breather haha

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Ah the fair winds of change dost carry the bus onwards.

Charley
    Just read your match report and it confirms what I said to jakesome from an earlier intended reply.

The ball, from what I could see was going back to Darlow to often, which is probably why he was hoofing it so often.

It’s I suppose a safety first reason.

Good report by the way, much appreciated.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:55 PM

stuart no9

Yeah that’s ridiculous, he’s more like Messi. 🙂

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:57 PM

As Charlie says, we seemed to hoof the ball far too much, especially with no height up front. Fortunately some of the players realised we would not win the first ball and competed for the scraps after mainly Gouffy had competed in the air.
    Someone, Budge?, predicted 3-0 and was berated – very accurate prediction with second after 73 mins of hard to watch game, followed by a third!

• stuart no9

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:58 PM

essex —naa perez hasnt got a beard

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:58 PM

toon Taff’s
    Well done for your five points the other night, sorry I missed it but I was at the match.

• Uncertain Toon

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:59 PM

He’s a good player that Messi, but he’s no Perez!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Could do with Sels’s kicking and Darlows confidence, but then you’d have a Coutinho or De Gea 😮

• WWSBRD

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Jail
    Mate why would we struggle to shift Hanley? He’s a proven quality championship CB (captain) he will have takers no performance problem though tbh it would shock me if we don’t bring in a CB when we are promoted

Rafa will make Mbemba and Lascelles better (they were good PL defenders when we were relegated), Clark can do it in the PL (did so with Villa but once they went to hell so did he) and Hanley is the no thrills back up. Add to that Dummett whose best games have come at CB imo and is no where near a PL LB (won’t leave as we need him for homegrown quotas) we are very well off there for once

Striker, CDM and wingers/CAM we will be after imo

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:01 PM

I thought our best players were Clark and Dummett. Perez falls over too easily. Ritchie is class and though he misplaced a few, his pass for the second was brilliant.
    Colback did well and was unfortunate to be booked, but never let it spoil his game. Shelvey was lucky not to be booked seconds earlier and Jack paid for that.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I had 2-0 the other night at sevens, I was going to have 3-0 today but with Gayle as first scorer to get the better odds, luckily I never bothered.

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Jail – I would have reminded you – I do not get it right often!
    Got 9 today Hayden/Colback Anita/Yedlin- great seeing the warm up – clear our team/subs and no messing – they play 6 v 4, with 3 left + 1 forward(Perez)v 3 right + Gayle and 2 midfield floaters (Shelvey + Colback) who always join the 4 with the ball. They come out of the tunnel and straight into their stride. I noticed the Ipswich players were just standing looking at each other in the warm up, looking lost.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM

I see the “once we’re back in the PL” chatter is being liberally bandied about tonight. Can’t bring myself just yet to join in with all that, maybe if we’re 10pts clear at Xmas.

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Whilst shooting practice was going on in the warm up, Hayden hit a young kid in the Gallowgate, smack in the face, giving him a bleeding nose. His dad, stewards and medics were involved and young Hayden jumped over the hoardings to check on the kid, giving him his training top. Great to see

• cyprus

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Got spoilt in the last few years as I watched my team week in week out. Now I can’t, so big Thanks to you guys Charlie and the others for your reports.

I see I’ll be able to watch my team on Tuesday. Yeah.

Thrilled to be 3.1 points ahead. Even if apparently we struggled. Give me three points, any old way, this season.

Congratulations to Colback and Shelvey who seem to have been the best. And to Perez for the brace.

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Hayden’s reaction, not the kid’s injury!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Toontaff

I said at least 3-0 for today, could and should have been more. However I only got 9 out of 11 so I am fallible.

• Clematis

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM

I was in the Milburn and agree with Charlie’s usual spot on summary of events. We should have been 10-nil up at half time if not for the usual foul play (handling goalbound shots) and missing easy chances. Ref was w@nk as usual.

However, we won and it was mint!

Long may our supremacy continue.

Oh, and – Thank God – Dummett had a stormer 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM

WW..,
    You don’t give a player a five year deal as a stop gap, he, imo wants to keep him here as a very good back up CB, in an ideal world we’d see Hanley sold and Mbemba, Clarke, Lascelles and that WC defender we’ve waited for so long for. I just can’t see it.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Tootaff

Glad you clarified that comment, for a moment I was thinking you unfeeling so and so. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Toontaff

That kid will be the envy of his classmates for weeks. 🙂

• bettyswallocks

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Perez took his goals well but finishing is his strength when the ball comes to him in and around the box. The rest of his play is more often than not disappointing He’s not a winger and his link up play isn’t the best so is he a pure striker then , not for me sorry.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Social break, back later.

• WWSBRD

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Jail
    I meant wouldn’t shock me if we didn’t bring in a CB sorry I don’t see it being a priority

100% wouldn’t want to lose Mbemba though he’s the best CB we’ve got for me

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Maybe this just goes to show what will happen if you make a mistake.

Mbemba had a bad game scoring an own goal in the process, In came Clark the following week, and he has been great alongside Lascelles, difficult to drop him.

Rafa will say Mbemba just needs to keep working hard and wait for his chance again.

Guess that’s the way it is now, cock it up and your back to fighting for a place in the team.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:45 PM

I think we’re all agreed that we need four PL quality additions next season to cement a top ten finish, imo Dummet, Mbemba, Gouffran and Atsu will be moved on and replaced with what we need.

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Jail

I think we will see a few more than them moved on marra, Rafa built this team to win the championship, most of the players are working out fine at this level, but I suspect Gamez, Hanley and Murphy will also make way for PL players to come in.

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:50 PM

I could see both Mbemba and Mitrovic possibly lining up moves in the summer, both are internationals – if they are not first choice in the Championship, things could only get worse if the squad is strengthened (assuming we are back in the Prem next season). I like Mitrovic myself, but it’s at the manager’s discretion as far as I am concerned, he knows what he is doing.

Mitrovic’s predicament isn’t going to get any easier with the way Adam Armstrong is progressing. Murphy could be viewed as being more efficient, for a backup option that wins knock-downs, especially wage/value wise.

When you have £20 odd million between Mbemba and Mitrovic sitting on the bench, perhaps it is better to sell and reinvest. My only worry is that Mitrovic could be sold and go on to be a £30/40 million valued striker if Roma came back in for him – he has the potential imo.

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I would like to see Lazaar get a bit more game time at LB, maybe in the cup.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM

firebug666
    We have deliberately given Gámez and Murphy a last pay day not just for their playing skills but for their experience, I can’t see anyone taking them off our hands and as I said, Hanley wasn’t given a five year deal to be moved on next season.

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM

By Tom Easterby – Newcastle United Club Reporter

After helping Newcastle United extend their winning streak to five games, goalscorer Matt Ritchie says the Magpies are beginning to get into their stride.
    Rafa Benitez’s side beat Ipswich Town 3-0 on Saturday, with Ritchie blasting home the third to seal the points for the hosts at St. James’ Park.
    The result means that United are now unbeaten in seven matches in all competitions.
    And the Scotland international reckons that Benitez’s men have established a “good bond” within the camp, which has helped them rise to the top of the Sky Bet Championship table.
    “Everyone’s getting to know each other, and it’s that time in the season now where people are really learning their jobs,” the 27-year-old told nufc.co.uk. “(We had) a lot of new bodies and ideas at the start of the season and maybe not everyone was quite on the same wavelength, and now I think that we’re all coming together.
    “Personally for me, I feel like I know what Dwight’s going to do, I know what Jonjo’s going to do, I know what Jack’s going to do, and everyone’s learning with the players around them.
    “(There are) relationships all over the pitch with everyone – whoever plays throughout the whole squad, we train together and have different partnerships in training, and I feel that’s really shown in the way we attack.
    “That’s what a good team does. It’s about relationships on the pitch, and working off each other. I think that we’ve got a good bond, and a good blend throughout the team. We’ve got a bit of everything in the team as well.”
    A brace from Ayoze Perez, whose first strike came inside the first minute, put the Magpies in command in front of a crowd of over 51,000, before Ritchie rifled in the third 12 minutes from time.
    “The early goal helped, but to be honest the first half was a little bit bitty, and we didn’t really get going,” said Ritchie.
    “But we controlled the game throughout, I’d say, and it’s really pleasing to get the goals in the second half, because that just put them out of sight then.
    “I’m really pleased. We’ve had some good results of late. Going back a couple of weeks, we had a big game here and got beaten against Wolves, so it’s nice to continue the run and show that we’ve obviously learned from that little bit of complacency, if that’s what it was. It was a good three points, and a really positive day.
    “We just need to hang in there. It’s a long season and it’s early days. We’ve managed to stay calm and grounded with our feet on the floor and remain focussed. With all of that, we’ll hopefully continue to win games.”
    Ritchie’s strike in front of the Gallowgate End was his third goal of the season, and afterwards the winger admitted that he was somewhat relieved to have returned to the scoresheet.
    “I’ve been beating myself up a little bit. I’ve had a couple of chances of late – I had one against Norwich late on and I had one in the first half as well that I probably should have done a bit better with,” he said. “I was delighted to get the goal in the end, but most importantly the three points and put them out of sight.”
    Next up for United is an EFL Cup last 16 tie at home to Preston on Tuesday night (7.45pm kick-off).
    And Ritchie is hopeful that Newcastle can continue their fine recent run of form when Simon Grayson’s men arrive in town in midweek.
    “All our games are big. Obviously the league is a priority, but we want to go as far as we can in the cup competitions as well, and we’ve got the squad to do that,” he said.
    “I’m really looking forward to that. We’d go into the last eight if we win against Preston, so it’s a great opportunity for us.”

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jail

Well we can only wait and see marra, when we go up Rafa will want to start his rebuilding for the prem in earnest, so I expect the ins and outs to come early.

Trust in the Gaffa!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Football on five is shite

• beermonkey

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM

jail

its pi55 poor

• FinnBarr

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Charlie- I really appreciate your detailed game reports. We don’t get to see many games in the States, and i’m not technologically savvy enough for the online streams, so after each game i bypass the other media sites and come straight here for your review. Great insight as always.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:37 PM

beer,
    I only weny to finish the last of my chum, peed on my owners slippers and yet still just missed that thirty seconds of highlights.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:44 PM

FinnBarr
    Cheers mate – much appreciated and all the rest that read them
    thanks

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Charlie,
    Do you take notes during the game. I’ve just watched that penalty decision again and Five hardly gave it the time of day, I honestly can’t see how it wasn’t a pen. Great to see a lot of people enjoying your analysis. I’m not a great reader of performances and effort, so good to read yours. I thought Yedling was good today.

• Belfast

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM

You obviously didn’t watch it last season Jail. They had a really creepy looking audience in the studio and the bloke who presented it cracking jokes every five minutes that nobody laughed at. Twas far worse.