Rafa Talks About Today’s Opponents – Ipswich Town

Mick McCarthy and Ipswich Town are today’s opponents at St. James’ Park and it will be a tough game for us,  but Newcastle will be going all out for our fifth win in a row in the Championship.

Ipswich have conceded only 9 goals in 13 games this season and are tied with Brighton for the best defensive record in the division, so it could be hard to break them down.

mick-mccarthy-ipswich_3214137

Mick McCarthy – Ipswich manager

But we managed to beat Brighton 2-0 when they visited St. James’ Park in late August, so maybe we can get a win against the Tractor Boys today.

This is what manager Rafa Benitez has said about Ipswich Town and manager Mick McCarthy:

“If you see the stats, it’s a team that is not scoring too many goals, though they have scored some goals in their last games.”

“But they are not conceding too many goals, so it will be tough, it will be difficult. Physically, they are strong, and they work hard.”

“I think it will be tough, because they are a Championship team who know what they have to do, how to stop the other teams and they know how to play on the counter-attack.”

“Mick McCarthy has experience – he is a good manager, and he has a team that know what to do in the Championship.”

One of these days we are not going to win and it will be a shock result – let’s hope today is not one of those days.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Ipswich Town?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Hoping we really turn it on today, though 3pts is the most important thing.

3-0, 3pts, 3 goals for Gayle!

Might be smart for Ritchie and Shelvey to get booked late on if they’re not already also, meaning they’d serve their suspension in the midweek cup game, a match they’d probably be rested for anyway.

• seanp

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Not worried by the allegedly stingy Ipswich defence. I live near Ipswich and actually went to the game against Burton on Tuesday. Still dumbfounded as to how Ipswich won. If the Burton strikers had been clinical they would have been at least three up by half time. Ipswich will give our forwards plenty of chances – they were a shambles on Tuesday and got really lucky. Ritchie against Knudson will be hilarious

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Nothing personal Belfast

But when they are streaming:-

Coleraine FC vs Linfield FC
    Crusaders FC vs Carrick Rangers
    Glenavon FC vs Ballymena United FC
    Glentoran FC vs Cliftonville FC

at 3pm

and not us

There is something badly amiss !

• Krul To Be Kind

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Looking forward to today’s game, made for Mitro I mi but I don’t think he will start. I forsee Ipswich setting up camp on the edge of their box and I think Mitro would relish the up close and personal with their back line as we try and maintain control of the ball around the boX. I can’t see this happening due to the firm of gayle but I’m dying to see gayle play off the big man in a game we are expected to dominate. I think this could happen later in the game but I really would like to see it from the start, mitro may not score many at the moment but he was doing terrific last season when Perez played off him and I think Gayle would be the more instinctive between him and Perez so could fill his boots with knockdown and loose balls.

Am I the only one wanting this?

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Hail
    If you try too hard for a yellow you can sometimes get a straight red !
    The only guaranteed way is to score a goal and take your shirt off.

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM

if they are going to try shut shop i think mitro up front for crosses alongside gayle would be a good move, can see us winning this comfortable to be honest

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM

plenty ways of getting just a yellow jib, kicking the ball away in disgust is another

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:52 AM

anyone familiar with this site for streaming the match ?

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM

stephen
    That link just takes you to the usual suspects trying to get you to register with Bet365 and then you find there’s no stream !

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Better off listening to Fat Mick and Ando

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM

thought it might of been too god to be true, ah well looks like i,ll just have to settle for highlights at 6 on sky sports news

• bettyswallocks

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Jib…… So is there no stream at all for today?

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Sure there’ll be a Periscope, possibly that Amy lass streaming too and she has a decent quality device, coupled with some radio commentary – not bad!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Is it Amy, now thinking it’s Sara? Either way, she’s a gem.

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM

I rate this game the biggest of the season. There has been a run of fixtures against sides that will come out and play, but Ipswich represent a new challenge. Should Ipswich get something from playing negatively, it will send a signal to all the other clubs in how to play against us.

Winning this game comfortably would make automatic promotion appear highly plausible; draw or lose this game, and a fresh challenge presents itself.

I would like to see Daryl Murphy come off the bench if it’s stalemate after 60 minutes.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Ancient C
    According to most sources Murphy has an iffy ankle and won’t even make the bench !

Betty
    no stream
    Fat Mick or a dodgy periscope connection

• mindshaft

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM

HailWorAshley – army lass ?? Any links for her ?

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Jib, shame… battering ram Mitrovic will just have to do then.

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM

forget that one, it wants card details

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM

theres one on youtube here but not sure if it,ll work

• Jib

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Ipswich have lost 4 times – all away

Reading Leeds Huddersfield and Brentford.

All losses were by the odd goal.

Except v Brentford which was game two of the season 2-0 – 13th August.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Morning bloggers, and a merry match day to you. 🙂 Looking forward to this one and forsee another comfortable win.

Rafa’s bingo line up.

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark. Dummett

Hayden Shelvey

Ritchie Perez. The Gouff

Gayle

Starting to get a familiar feel to the team with only Perez and Diame and Colback and Hayden in question. NOw watch him change it completely! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Can’t see why so many thinks that if Ipswich park the bus that we can’t get around it.

We have the players than can and if they do deploy negative tactics then that will be a big mistake as we will take them to the cleaners.

I think we will score at least 3 with no reply.

HWTL HWTF HWTR HWTBRS

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Bobby

Yes I agree
    I think that there are 9 players almost guaranteed to start most games but he does always manage to surprise us. That’s why I chucked Atzu into my prediction.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Bill, with you on that matey. 3-0 sounds about right. Mick McMackem might set up defensively but I can’t see that stopping us, not with our attacking talent. That’s why I’ve gone with Hayden and Perez today – attack minded. Buzzing already, but then it is matchday so I’m allowed. 🙂

• BandB

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Jib

Or maybe not even Mick 😉

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Bill, I think he’ll use this game to let Ritchie pick up a cheap card, so he can miss the cup tie. Makes sense to me. Is anybody else on four cards? Colback was born on four cards wasn’t he? 🙂 Let’s get that suspension out of the way now. Tuesday’s Rafa’s bingo could be entertaining however.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM

So, a quick check tells me Shelvey is on four cards too. Mmm, not too clever. If both were missing that might be a concern. Still, Preston will make changes I pressume and our ‘weakened’ team isn’t that shoddy, so I’m sure we’ll survive. Better to take a risk in the cup than the league imo.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Bobby

I assume you are going to the match, so enjoy it.

I have to go out now but hope to get back to catch some of the action.

With your new found Android skills I’m expecting you to do the periscope thingy. With a full on BobbyBee commentary. 🙂

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM

—————-Darlow
    Anita–Lascelles–Clark–Dummett
    ———–Shelvey–Colback—-
    Ritchie——-Diame——–Gouffran
    ————–Gayle————-

Not sure on Diame, but I am convinced Colback will play today. There is a rotational pattern developing between Colback & Hayden.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Bill, there’ll be plenty others doing a periscope feed no doubt, but I concentrate all my attention on the game mate, without learning how to become a cameraman. 🙂 I haven’t got a twatter account anyway mate.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Ancient, that’s exactly the team I had in mind mate. Seems an awful lot have gone with that team so a good number of five points may be heading the blogs way. With that in mind I went for a different option. I will probably regret it. 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM

3 – 1 to the Toon.

Jail Rafa Bingo.

Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Bobbybee: Hopefully Firebug and ToonTaff (not sure if I have the latter name right) have not registered a predicted line up, give the rest of us a chance to catch up.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Anyway, time to get ready to set off for the cathedral on the hill. Wherever you’re watching or listening to the game, enjoy it as much as I intend to. Should be all happy smiling faces on here tonight with another three points secured towards our rapid return to the PL. Howay the lads!!!!! And may the mackems remain one point less than a triangle. 🙂

• stephen1971

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM

darlow
    anita lascalles clark dummet
    hayden shelvey
    ritchie goofy
    mitro gayle

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Ancient, best of luck matey. 🙂

• Average_Contents