Rafa Explains How He Keeps Players Happy

There’s nothing quite as good as frequent communication in an organization and nothing quite as bad when no or stunted communication exists.

In a number of years under Mike Ashley Newcastle fans will know what it’s like when the club didn’t communicate much at all with the fans and there are stories made up to fill the vacuum created.

rafa-benitez-players-training

Rafa Benitez mingling with players during training

Rafa Benitez is a tremendous man-manager and he’s also a good communicator and he has revealed today how he talks to players a lot – and we see that when he’s on the training field.

He can be seen going around the players shaking hands with them and he often takes players to the side and talks to them.

When Rafa leaves a player out of the team he tells them why he’s left them out, so there is no mystery about that.

This is what he has said in the press today specifically about Ayoze Perez and Mo Diame when both were left out of the side recently:

“The players they did not need to knock on my door because I go and I talk with them when it is necessary.”

“Obviously you have some players who are not playing and they will say they want to play.”

“But it is always easier for a manager when you are top of the table.”

“I was talking with Ayoze when I left him out and he knew why, so does Mo Diame.”

“So do the others because I have done a lot of press conferences and I am repeating the same things.”

“So I don’t need to explain to them everything week.”

In the same way that Rafa seems to rotate Isaac Hayden and Jack Colback in the central midfield position  alongside Jonjo Shelvey – he also seems to rotate Mo and Ayoze in the number 10 spot behind the striker.

Rafa ‘s press conference is due to start in a few minutes for the EFL Cup tie against Preston tomorrow night at St. James’ Park.

Preston will be a tough test for us since they have come into some very good form of late and have beaten Norwich and Huddersfield in their last two games.

Bit it’s a game we will go all out to win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:52 PM

@wwsbrd – from what I’ve read about Rafa by ex players like dudek, gerrard, kuyt, he’s not the type of guy who keeps in contact with players for the sake of it.
    Im guessing by the speed they signed Ritchie that Townesend was pretty upfront from the start with the club he wanted to go if possible.
    Townesend’s dad is on twitter a lot, seems to have grown a big affection to Newcastle as a club, city and to Benitez! Always cheering us on and being complimentary, probably an indication that townsend left on decent terms

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM

jay
    I will take ur word on how Rafa treats his previous players because I really dont have enough knowledge on it mate but its in line with my thinking so I fully belief u haha

Tbh Ive seen nothing to suggest he left under a cloud

As for Townsend leaving and Ritchie/Gayle signing didnt it happen pretty much on the same day? If it did thats seems pretty planned to me

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:03 PM

AncientC
    From previous

We have no idea what players Rafa wants or our transfer plans moving forward Townsend’s name could be in there especially if he has a release clause and Palace do go down

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:07 PM

@wwsbrd – yea theres a line in Gerrards book where he says something about being driven to play better just so there was a chance rafa would say to him well done, but he never did! In most accounts Ive read rafa comes across as a machine who doesn’t take players emotions into account when making decisions as he expects everyone to share his mentality of doing whatever it takes to win. The negative reports tend to be from players he inherits, if he has no use for them he just ignores them completely. Saying that, I’m pretty sure he sent a few players away from the 1st team last year when he came in because he didn’t want them around the side. Can’t remember who it was but im thinking it could have been obertan and marveaux?

• AncientC

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:07 PM

WWSBRD “Now how do u know Rafa has no plans for Townsend? He only lost him due to a release clause and clearly wanted him to stay”

I don’t, that is not the point I was making. I was making the point: “Congratulating Townsend on the England call up he wanted so badly, and having him in his plans for the future are 2 very different things.”

Which is in reference to the start of the topic, which was: Shot Bru “Wonder if Rafa would re-sign Townsend if we swapped places with Palace at the end of the season?”

I have stayed on subject, I believe you have veered off course.

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM

on the carrick talk, Reckon he’d be an amazing signing if we took him in January! Clearly he’s not in Mourinho’s plans. We’re a bit reliant on shelvey at the moment, and Carrick could come in and offer an alternative to shelvey both along side him or instead of him if Jonjo needed a rest or was injured.

• Spotlight Kid

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:10 PM

WWSBRD “Now how do u know Rafa has no plans for Townsend?”

If Palace go down and NUFC manage promotion there’s probably a mandatory reversion clause on both Gayle and Townsend.

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:12 PM

jay
    Aye he seems a pure football man to me from what I know of him. I think ur right on Obertan and Marv as well mate both got early releases as well, he also moved the reserves away from the first team (again goes in line with him having no use for them at the time)

AncientC
    ok mate am not following anymore so lets just agree to differ pal

• WWSBRD

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Spotlight
    Haha not sure Gayle would be happy with that

• jayphoto

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:13 PM

One other gem I heard this weekend (again can’t remember who said it) but really says a lot about how we’re set up.
    “Newcastle no longer conducts late fitness tests on players as if a player requires a test on the day of the game, his chances of injury are much higher and the possibility that he will have a poor game is much more probabable”
    Halle f**king lluah! Finally we have a manager that actually looks beyond the next game at the bigger picture and realises a backup player at 100% fitness will probably offer more than a 1st team player at 60% at the top level.

• toonincheek

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:01 PM

jay @10 –

Makes sense, but . . .
    just wait for shelvey, or some other player essential to
    our plans, and just wait for a fitness test.

And on vaguely the same topic –
    I wonder how many players had had some fitness issue,
    perhaps minor, who haven’t been selected but who are
    NOT recorded as injured, rather they are just considered
    as a rotation casualty.